They were playing vitamin c at chipotle. how well known is Can?

they were playing vitamin c at chipotle. how well known is Can?

Very well known. Everyone with even a mild interest in culture/music knows it.

Very, for people who are in to music. By no means mainstream, but essential to any alt/prog rock fan.

dope. I knew they were well known but I didn't know about how they fit in the mainstream. Like NMH is a very popular well known band but you're not gonna hear itaots on the radio when you're getting lunch.

If you are really into music then they are well known, but it is not mainstream and most plebs wont understand what they are listening and probably wont like it

i was snortin vitamin c on yr moms ass if u know wat i mean bb

they're well known

Vitamin C was also used in Inherent Vice, so I'm sure a few people heard about them through that

You're not going to hear Can on the radio either, it's too long and complicated. Radio is more about what's popular than what's acclaimed. Oh, and Can is probably a lot more well known the NMH. It's arguably the most popular krautrock band.

They're not mainstream or anything but I think they had a minor hit back in Germany with one of the Ege Bamyasi tunes. Beyond that they do have a pretty large following among music fans and musicians, there are looooads of people who have been very vocal about their appreciation for Can, people like Liam Gallagher, Johnny Rotten, all of the members of Radiohead, Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream, Portishead, Steven Wilson, Ariel Pink, Madlib, Trent Reznor, David Bowie, Michael Gira, etc. They get their dues and respect but I'd be pretty surprised to hear 'em on the radio.

What about Kraftwerk or Tangerine Dream?

Incredible music, as influential as Can if not more (Kraftwerk mostly), but less popular than Can I believe. Tago Mago is THE iconic kraut album. At least from the perspective of a non-german.

I played Halleluhwah on a good bunch of semi-normie parties and most people didn't realize I just put a 20-minute psych rock song, which mean they were okay with it.

>it's too long and complicated
there are plenty of short Can songs

also, I'm not sure if repeating a simple rhythm for 10+ minutes and adding in a few guitar licks and keyboard melodies counts as complexity

That's not true at all

When was the last time you turned on the radio? I'm talking in radio terms, not general music terms.

of course it is. It's a 1000 albums to hear before you die-core.

I listened to their big 3 albums and really liked them. Where should I go from there? If it matters for me it was Tago>Future Days>Ege

I always thought that Kraftwerk were the most iconic krautrock band, but yeah, Tago Mago is the most iconic kraut album ( monster movie is also a good choice)

I had never heard of them until I came here

funny related story- i met a guy at a party who liked can and so we put on halleluwah, and one of the hosts went crazy and changed it cause he said 'hearing the same drumbeat' for 20 minutes was driving him mad

You need to listen to Monster Movie (one of the most revolucionary albums on history) and then soundtracks

I've never met a person who's heard of can or seen them referenced or heard them on anywhere that isn't around these corners of the internet.
Then again I don't do anything or go anywhere and I live in Midwest suburbanland

how many ppl have you actually met and asked?

Chipotle has playlists especially tailored to cultivate a vibe, it's a rhythmically propulsive vaguely ethnic blend of tunes. They don't expect high school softball team members to actually know the music on the playlist. That being said, Can is absolutely the most renowned Krautrock group, but they have always been given props by groups with ideals pushing slightly out of the mainstream: PiL, Talk Talk, Tortoise, Radiohead, Wilco, etc. I'd argue Kraftwerk has had a greater impact on mainstream music, what with synth-pop, electro, hip-hop, & techno being major beneficiaries of their sound. Now as to whether Can is palatable to 'normies', I think ppl overestimate the uninitiated's patience for slow-boiling psych grooves and musique-concrete interludes, as well as nonsensical lyrics. Most 'normies' need things to be a bit more obvious, even EDM kids who love entrancing crescendos and such.

People with 'mild interest' might not even be aware that it would be worth their while to hear 1000 albums in differing styles of music. People just try to keep up with what's new.

>hearing the same drumbeat
I mean it's technically the same beat, but it's so polyrythmic that I don't see how you could call it monotonous.

Vitamin C was prominently featured on the soundtrack to Inherent Vice. Left-of-center movie soundtracks are also good byways into 'cool' corporations using them in their marketing/branding/public presence. It did take Can like 45 years to attain this level of notoriety, it should be stated for the record.

This. it's not really a question of how popular Can is, but of how hipster/patrish Chipotle is