Would covering a bunch of plywood with pic related and putting it all around my garage reduce the noise travelling out...

Would covering a bunch of plywood with pic related and putting it all around my garage reduce the noise travelling out of it? It's not too bad but I want to be able to play without pissing off my neighbors. I know there's no way to make it sound proof, I'm just talking about minimizing it as much as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s9kdh78PjFA
isostore.com/faq/totalmass-mlv/
mega.nz/#!0RFBBByL!czLg-Ccx0bZTmPN8lY72N6edA8KFmxV51tFHd7oABCY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no you can make it soundproof but you have to build literally another wall

and that material I believe is for preventing echoes and shit not really blocking noise. That material would be smooth flat rubber type stuff that comes in rolls.

Any idea what it's called?

Also, I know I could make a room soundproof, but I'm looking for something not too permanent since I'm renting right now, so settling for noise reducing.

That sort of acoustic treatment is for reducing sound reflections within a room. In order to stop sound from getting in or out of a room you need the room to be airtight and you need to increase the amount of mass in the walls. That could mean building new walls or adding layers of drywall to the existing walls.

For a good sized garage, you'd need a lot to really make much difference and them things get real expensive real quick. Depends what sounds your trying to deaden as well though, if it's full band, drums, guitar, etc.

Decent (and cheaper) option might be to use egg cartons instead. Still would need a lot though

Just drums, and sometimes a guitar, but the guitar sound doesn't travel far.

Okay so can I add mass to walls without nailing into them? Like, would leaning plywood with neoprene foam over it work at all? or just be a waste?

>and you need to increase the amount of mass in the walls. That could mean building new walls or adding layers of drywall to the existing walls.
with air

you use whatever the fuck they're called like metal brace type things to allow for a couple of inches away from the existing wall. Then you literally build another wall while additionally using the sound proofing material as part of this new wall. You dont need wood and shit like in a typical wall but yes it requires an entire new additional dry wall.

>Any idea what it's called?
no and to use it like I said you literally have to build another dry wall. Last time I tried to find the video I really liked a lot I couldnt find it.

offhand I would say you're best bet is 3 words

time of day

Not to get nit picky about acoustics and shit but the existing wall probably is already a 2 leaf system, so any existing mass should be added without turning it into a 3 leaf system. So directly on the wall, rather than creating a second air gap

well then as I recall, then you'd still need to completely tear down the innermost wall so you can install the soundproofing material on the inside.

Look around for videos and just remember the most important thing

existing wall > air/empty space > rubber type sound proofing material > new dry wall

The soundproofing inside the wall would be fiberglass

OP suffice to say, you're not going to get any kind of sound insulation with doing some serious construction. So either look into that or just play more quietly

Okay so the egg cartons is a dumb idea, a myth and creates a fire hazard. Pic in OP is good to use to make bass traps and the like to make the sound better when you're practicing.

Now if you're rehearsing a band you really need to get into a rehearsal studio. Split between the members, it's really not that expensive (like $75 for 5 hours at the top end).

If you're just listening to music and have it that loud and want to listen to it over speakers, you're most important thing is to make the doors airtight and get rid of windows/put in double windows with an air gap in between (one on each side of a frame kinda a bit like if you have an aquarium. This air gap will prevent sound from getting in. Doing shit with the walls is a bit trickier and that's where you start to have trouble with the cost.

Good luck.

>insulation
meant to say isolation*

>The soundproofing inside the wall would be fiberglass
not from everything I've seen

its stuff like this
youtube.com/watch?v=s9kdh78PjFA

then after that the next most powerful sound proofing agent in this combination will be simple empty air.

Thanks for the help, guess I'll just make do til the neighbors start complaining and then rent some space.

Mass loaded vinyl and other similar materials can be used in conjunction with other materials to help isolation, but that's stuff like using MLV between layers of drywall to dampen vibrations between them. But if you're just adding it into the assembly to add mass, it's really not going to do much. In comparison to drywall, it just isn't a lot of mass (and isolation is all about mass)

Also when there is fiberglass between two walls, you can still basically call that an airgap. The air spring effect still happens, yet the fiberglass increases the STC (isolation). You can see that shown in the first two examples of that pic I posted

>(and isolation is all about mass)
yeah thats why all those rubber roll materials are dense as fuck

>Also when there is fiberglass between two walls, you can still basically call that an airgap.
well true but again as I recall the soundproofing material needs to be put next to that, so the innermost existing drywall would still need to be torn down to install it.

Otherwise the best bet is to use super thick rubber insulation type stuff like even gym mats but personally I didnt have much luck with those although I only tried them for windows. It blocked out the treble very noticeably but bass still goes right through it.

Mass loaded vinyl and stuff like it is for damping. It doesn't have enough mass to do anything worthwhile in terms of blocking sound:

"When used in a framed structure, any benefit created by mass loaded vinyl is not from the actual mass itself. The structure already weighs several pounds per square foot more than the MLV. To increase isolation considerably with mass alone, the material would need to double the structure weight.

What MLV brings to the assembly is a material that resonates like no other building material. Every structure or material has a resonance point. Including mass loaded vinyl in the structure will resolve many resonance issues allowing consistent performance in mid to high frequencies."

isostore.com/faq/totalmass-mlv/

>What MLV brings to the assembly is a material that resonates like no other building material.
ok interesting, so what you're saying the best solution is to just simply build another wall with air in between but leave out the rubber roll material?

You can use them for damping between layers of drywall, but a better option for that is this stuff called Green Glue.

You should read Rod Gervais' book "Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros"

Here's a link to the book by the way

mega.nz/#!0RFBBByL!czLg-Ccx0bZTmPN8lY72N6edA8KFmxV51tFHd7oABCY

I might be sold. It looks easy as shit to install. I assume that this method is intended that the glue will distribute and flatten evenly by the action of pressing it against the wall? Otherwise it seems very surprising that would be effective.

>I assume that this method is intended that the glue will distribute and flatten evenly by the action of pressing it against the wall?

I doubt it will flatten out and cover the entire surface evenly, but it doesn't have to. The stuffs laboratory tested (which you can view at their site) and pretty commonly recommended by experts and professionals so it does work