The Seer>To Be Kind

The Seer>To Be Kind

I may agree, not sure

STFTB> the rest

sure i guess

Soundtracks>seer>to be kind>the great annihhilator>everything else (or just pic related)

Filth > To Be Kind > The Seer > Cop > White Light > Soundtracks (I might need to listen to this one more I guess. The highs are insanely high but it's pretty inconsistent imo) > Holy Money > Great Annihilator > My Father > Love of Life > Greed > Burning World

iunno man i like how overpowering TBK can get

yes op

Agreed!

nah, TBK is their best

the seer definitely has some better high moments but TBK is better paced overall - not a moment is wasted, whereas with the seer i'm sitting around waiting for this next boring drone to end so i can get to the good parts

The seer has more atmosphere but too much drone wankery for my taste

Apostate is GOAT though

TBK could have been a quarter of the length it was

idk i just get the feeling when i listen to TBK that every single track is PROGRESSING, bit by bit, to some sort of climax or at least a conclusion. yes it progresses really really slowly, but you can always sense it. maybe it's a new instrument slowly being added to the mix, a new rhythm or pattern that crops up, even the most subtle changes all add up to something spectacular that really pays off in the end.
but then on the seer we have 'a piece of the sky' which barely progresses for the first nine minutes (though the second half is wonderful) and '93 ave. b blues' which should not even exist.

Agree on To Be Kind. It fucks me sideways with every listen. But what's your problem with 92 ave b blues?

it does have an interesting eerie feel, but after a while the seemingly unending atonal horn wails just comes off as annoying. and certainly not a good drone track for swans considering their earlier SftB stuff.

All their new albums are starting to sound the same... I wish they'd go back to what they had in the 80s/90s where every album was vastly different than the last

Really? It feels like an evolution to the droney Soundtracks vibe, mixed with straight up noise and wailing instruments. I guess the studio version may be underwhelming, but witnessing it live is a must. The band really puts a new meaning to a cacophony. I really hope they play it in their upcoming tour. I feel like any song from the past few years is up for grabs for their set list considering they're probably not going to be working on any new songs.

I mean, whose to say that that's not what Gira's planning on doing whenever he comes back to the Swans name again? Isn't he planning on going full orchestral or something like that?
Christ almighty, please don't go deaf yet, Mike.

Are their side projects good? I heard The Body Lovers is practically SFTB 3 (SFTB 2 being Swans are Dead side 1).

yeah, i imagine it would sound a lot better live and in the moment. hopefully they'll stop by ireland on their tour this time around!

Why would a live album, albeit a god tier one, containing a bunch of songs from former albums be considered SFTB 2?
But yeah, Body Lovers/Body Haters could be seen as a spiritual successor. Actually, the best way to put it is that Gira splits Swans in half, with the softer, folkier style carrying on in Angels of Light, while his post-rocky bits live on, shortly, in body lovers.

what about COG

anyway out of what I've heard I'd rank it like this

Soundtracks for the Blind > Children of God > Cop > Public Castration Is A Good Idea > Love of Life > Young God > Greed

That's a fucking stupid statement.

i agree. that's my favorite swans album

No