What's the best traditional music you've heard lately, Sup Forums?

What's the best traditional music you've heard lately, Sup Forums?

This

Don't listen to a lot of traditional though...
I really should

Pic related

Also, I don't know if I told you yet but I listened to the first volume of the Hugo Masters comps. Very good stuff. Will do the other volumes sometime soon.

Have you heard this? I think it's good because Shankar does a very brief explanation of some concepts of Indian music.

On a Chinese binge?

Bump

Haven't heard this, seems very interesting.

rip ravi

anyone have european folk recs?

Realllyyy into this album by Djivan Gasparyan. Title track is especially beautiful

anyone into gamelan?

Any particular country you want?

Yes kinda

I've been really digging mariachi recently
It's traditional mexican music

Oh yeah and seconding Sounds of India rec
Would you have a good rec?

its charming

This is really good, thanks for posting it.

"""""""nice drums"""""""

awesometapes.com is really nice, has some occasional gems

thats a good album. Indian music is my favorite nonwestern music

i downloaded a huge duml of indian music a while ago that includes newpaper clippings of the various artists. Ive dumped a few pics in the past. If this thread is alive when i get home from work ill post some indian recs.

Been listening to Altai Kai.

Good ol' Steppe music.

Sweet chart. Thanks for this.

it's 2016. why would you unironically listen to primitive african repetitions?

Ur mom is a primitive african repetition lmao

because it sounds good?
u literal fucking prole?

anyways check Na Hawa Doumbia out, not really traditional but world music

Also getting into Malian music, and Kora music, the former by way of Ali Farka Toure

most traditional music isnt just drums, at least outside of subsaharan africa and precontact americas. In fact, it can be really interesting for hisotrical purposes (western traditional) or interesting because of different concepts of musical notation (eastern classical)

Because it's boring listening to the same stuff over and over.

go away, newtrip

Can you upload that дoмoг album?

>go away, newtrip

I like you and you're a great guy!

is there a general flowchart for getting into traditional music?

a y-you too ', :^)

It's too varied for something like that.

the most american reply of all time

I bet you unironically say "ethnic food"

there's not like a few starting albums for each country...?

I'm sorry I know very little about this

Don't have it.

Sorry mate.

Yeah but there are almost 200 recognized countries and sovereign states in the world. Most of these both share common cultural traits with bordering regions and have their own unique cultural heritage at the same time. "A few" from each of these would be literally a thousand albums. Also the concept of album isn't necessarily applicable to traditional music. While it's true most music that is accessible to us outsiders is distributed in album form, the music is not performed or written for that purpose.

That said, I'm working (slowly) on a chart that will contain one album from each sufficiently large country in the world, just to get people something to hook onto if they have no idea where to start.

I understand now. although if you do get that chart done that would be fantastic.

it really fascinates me just how much music there is to experience in the world. there's enough to last dozens of lifetimes. the only sad part is it will be impossible to hear them all in one life...

The chart will likely be done sometime during this summer or right after, depending on how much time I have to search for the last 30 odd countries I need to complete it (some of them will be omitted due to their size, such as Andorra and Vatican City). Stay tuned.

anyone know any good congolese music in the vein of Kasai Allstars, Konono no.1, Mbongwana Star and Staff Benda Bilili? i know some of those bands aren't strictly 'traditional' but this is the closest thread for it

is this meme dead or something? Did I execute it improperly?? Are you guys just immune? What the heck!

Konono no. 1 has a lot of Mbira, right? Give this a spin, even though it's not Congolese.

you'd probably like Monoswezi

fucc off pls

Yo you got a link for Ali Akbar Khan's Sitar Legend tape? It's lost on my old dead laptop and I haven't had it since. Btw if anyone else is also interested in more Sitar shenanigans do check out Ali Akbar Khan especially that tape. Also check out Vilayat Khan, too he should be the next step if you tryna go deeper from the Ravi Shankar stuff.

Though I wonder, is this stuff considered traditional though? To me it's more like classical music than straight up traditional folk stuff.

Glad you like it. Ghana: Ancient Ceremonies, Songs & Dance Music and Ewe Drumming From Ghana: The Soup Which Is Sweet Draw The Chairs In Closer are both pretty good too.

thank. I've heard the first one but I'll see if I can remember to grab the latter one tomorrow before I leave for the summer.

love that album. i bought it on cd because i couldn't find a download anywhere

Sean McAloon - Piping from the Archives

This is probably the best thing ever.

>criticizing primitive repetitions on the basis that they're out of date
>hip hop and edm are the two most popular styles of music today

bring back /trad/ you fucks

Rec some music from your country.
Here's mine.

This is actually a /trad/ thread in disguise.

not posting the superior Shankar

>primitive african repetitions
this thread is not about hiphop