Vinyl Thread

Vinyl Thread - Post your setup (Turntable, Amp, Speakers)
-Post what you're listening to
-Critique other's setups and music taste
-Post recommendations

I very recently got into vinyl, been meaning to buy a setup for over a year now, but didn't have the money to do so, finally saved up enough to get myself (what I assume is) a good mid-level rig.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit
Speakers: B&W 685 S2
Amp: Rotel RA-12

Purchased / got given the following LPs, loved them all so far
Adele: 21, 25
Badlands Halsey
Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
David Bowie: Best of Album
Michael Jackson: Thriller
Muse: Black Holes and Revelations
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Loved it all, listening to an LP is such a different music experience to headphones and (shamefully) youtube quality mp3s

OP here, forgot to mention, please recommend me some "Must-buy" albums, at the moment I'm just getting whatever catches my eye in a record store, there's too much to choose from when I'm ordering online

just buy your favorite albums, not really any "must-buy" albums.
do you use discogs?

I don't but I feel like I should get it ASAP
my problem is, I like a ton of singles, and have never really listened to whole albums, just particular songs. Comes with growing up in the digital age I guess

it's really great but can get addicting and make you go broke easily if you have trouble resisting yourself. it's a good way to catalog your collection, determine which pressing you have, and you can add stuff to your wantlist.
you could download/stream albums before you buy them or just get other albums from the artists already in your collection. most of the ones you listed should be easy to get cheap in used condition at a record store.

Yeah I'm going through and cataloguing my collection right now, this is really handy

The sales history on the only record I desperately want to add to my collection is making me sad, though. $279AU was the cheapest that one got sold.

My amp just died, just after I got some new records :(

that's shyte mate, what setup did you have?

yeah, and it also gives you a value range of your collection to see how much it's all worth

that sucks, still worth adding to your wantlist though in case it pops up for cheaper. the prices are usually fair except for stuff being flipped like RSD limited releases. on some rare items i usually find better deals on ebay

It was a very limited release (less than 1000 were pressed), fairly famous band too, not super mainstream, but their facebook page has over 500k likes if that's a meaningful metric.

Added to my wantlist, and unfortunately I've seen them go for 500 on Ebay

LP120, AKAI UM-310 amp, and some Acculab speakers that I haven't been able to find literally any information on, it says the model is DSX 1010.

Both the amp and speakers were from my dad's old setup, so I have no idea what they're worth or if they're any good, but no problems for me, until it just died this week.

Did everyone here just start out?
who 5+ years??

real odd that no info comes up on the speakers, are you going to buy yourself some new ones / a new amp any time soon?

OP, just started, been tentatively interested for several years. not sure about anyone else in the thread

I've been using the Pro-Ject Audio Essential II for a few years now, however I just have a reciever and some speakers I bought from best buy. I would like to get an amp/preamp set up but I know nothing about those

Since 2013, but being a poor uni student meant that I haven't really been buying much other than things I really want to own a physical copy of.

Cheapest amp I can find is about $300, dunno if I'm looking in the wrong places or if they're just that expensive. Also dunno if these speakers will work with them, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do right now.

been collecting for maybe 4 years now, small collection of maybe 85 albums

Ugh. No offense, but are you sure vinyl is for you?

been collecting for a good while but the past 2 years i've been collecting more often after upgrading my turntable

Must-buy albums are albums you love and will listen to, or albums that cost $0.25 at a garage sale that look interesting.
Don't fall for the meme of buying RSD limited green glow-in-the-dark picture disks shaped like a kiwi for $200 online.
My entire collection here was acquired in-person (ie. none online).
The thrill of the hunt makes it exciting to me. There is nothing exciting about buying online and waiting for it to ship to you, or buying new presses of old albums.

Cool, any collection highlights?

respond yu faggots I didn't post this for nothing

No, because I don't agree with you.

i first thought you stacked records on top of each other and my inner autist got upset

look for used amps, used speakers, used everything

>There is nothing exciting about buying online and waiting for it to ship to you, or buying new presses of old albums.
It's the opposite with me. Nothing's more frustrating than spending two hours driving to a record store only to find jack shit once you're there. Getting the exact record you wanted through the mail saves a lot of the guesswork involved with physical storefronts, and it's especially nice when it's coming from another continent.

And when it comes to new presses of old albums, there's nothing wrong with buying an album that would have cost you hundreds of dollars otherwise. Granted, I wouldn't pay $20 for a brand new pressing of a Phil Collins album either.

>this thread
helllooo reddit

Hows your third week in Sup Forums going user?
Feeling superior to all the plebs yet?

Is there a way to ensure the image doesn't get flipped?
I even made sure to save it in the correct orientation

crop the image slightly

just bought this bad boi

o shit

>$28
Totally not worth that price.

Is that the picture from the new $20 bill?

bump

I ordered Lift Your Skinny Fists, Yanqui U.X.O, F#A#, and Asunder sweet on LP, already got Slow Riot.

nice

So I have an LP60 that I've had for about four months now and I want to take my turntable a little more seriously. I'm eyeing up an LP120 because that's pretty much right in my price range, but are there any other TTs in the same range which are better value for money or should I just go for the straight upgrade to 120?

45's my dude

>The Exchange
I was just at one of those in Pittsburgh, the selection was not great but I got a solid deal on an original press of Song in the Key of Life

Bump

Yes, I decided to get into vinyl because I wanted to change the way I listen to music, rather than be stuck in my plebeian ways

the 120 is pretty great for the price, UTurn i hear makes some good TTs too

Current setup:

Music Hall mmf-5 turntable
Dual 1019 turntable
NAD PP2 phono preamp
Adcom GTP-600 preamp
Adcom GFA-545ii amp
Audio Source EQ-100
Athena AS-F2 speakers
Infinity BU-2 powered subwoofer
Harmon/Kardon FL8300 CD changer

Built the system over the last 10 years (spent around $2000 or so) and have collected vinyl on an off over the same time.

Those are big CDs

>thrill of the hunt
Nothing like finding a hidden gem in a sea of shitty Firestone Christmas albums.

First haul.

Didn't really see much of interest but they was dirt cheap.

Don't forget the plethora of Jewish records.

damn I need that Strapping Young Lad vinyl in my life

You can't go wrong with late 80s or early 90s gear from Rotel, NAD, Adcom and it can be found for reasonable prices. I paid about $400 for my Adcom gtp-600 preamp, like new in the box and my mint condition Adcom gfa-545ii amp.

If you are looking for an integrated amp/tuner check out goodwill. I found a nice Denon for $25, with phono input.