What's wrong with enjoying music from past generations or "dad rock"? Music was objectively better in the past...

What's wrong with enjoying music from past generations or "dad rock"? Music was objectively better in the past, it was played with real instruments and the lyrics were meaningful. Nowadays everything is mass-marketed crap or hipster tryhard trash like Death Grips.

Other urls found in this thread:

top40charts.net/index.php?page=1970-music-charts
top40charts.net/index.php?page=1971-music-charts
top40charts.net/index.php?page=1972-music-charts
top40charts.net/index.php?page=number-ones-by-year
youtube.com/watch?v=UmTQYquqxSY
youtube.com/watch?v=xzQvGz6_fvA
youtube.com/watch?v=FcVnfh-epsI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

THERE WERE LESS NAGGY NIGGERS TOO

>music was objectively better in the past

>objectively

>music

Take a look at the Billboard charts from 1965. So much shit music has been forgotten. You only ever remember the good stuff.

The only wrong thing is posting this here, user. You shouldn't expect Sup Forums to have good taste, people come to this rathole for a reason.

I like how you state exactly why people dislike people who like older dad Rock music

This is bait but what ever...
There is a lot of great music right now, if you dont know how to find it or you dont have the ear to apreciate it go fuck yourself.
Also, tell me the reasons why it was objectively better.

>two fags posing
>le born in le wrong fucking generation :(

>Also, tell me the reasons why it was objectively better.

It was played with real instruments and had meaningful lyrics, like Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody; now you have a gay canadian kid "singing" baby baby ohhhh, a niggress "singing" about her big butt or a nigger screaming nonsense like that Death Grips guy.

>le queen=greatest band ever
>le freddie mercury>>>>>justin beaver
>le (c)rap music sucks
>am using term "music" loosly
>le remember when musicians actually played instruments
>le autotune ruining music

Fuck off m8s

Music right now is played with real instruments.
Also, why do you reduce nowadays music to that little faggot and death grips? you are just showing your ignorance. And another question: do you know any instrumental band?

1999 Toyota Tacoma
>Regular Cab
>2.4L 4-cylinder engine
>Manual 5-speed

this is 14 yr old youtube tier post. i really hope you're baiting, i don't want to share my board with autism havers

>Remember how great Toyota Tacomas were in the 90s
>This generation is screwed because of today's Toyota Tacomas

Not OP, but:
It's hard to argue, that in the past a lot more mainstream music was at least decent and far less streamlined. Take van halen - it was the shit that everybody talked about back in the day, and it was an excellent band. How many truly great artists can you talk about with your friends who are not that much into music?

Yeah, there's a bunch of great tunes out there, for sure. But the mainstream is absolute and utter shit and it's been like that for years. It happened in every era, sure, but I kinda get the feeling that utter shit became a much higher percentage of contemporary popular music around the late 90s and it just gets worse.

You're comparing today's (cherry picked) top 40 to the best songs in an entire couple decades of music. That's dumb, but I'll bite.

>top40charts.net/index.php?page=1970-music-charts
>top40charts.net/index.php?page=1971-music-charts
>top40charts.net/index.php?page=1972-music-charts
>etc.

Death Grips is a literal meme and it is better than nearly all of this.

Also, this,
>top40charts.net/index.php?page=number-ones-by-year
The most popular pop music was always pretty mediocre.

yeah go listen to Thundercat and then come back here

Computers and auto-tune are not real instruments, and the bands using real instruments are hipster garbage like Mumford and Sons or Imagine Dragons. There are no real bands anymore.

>What is Tame Impala

>computers and autotune are not real instruments
You must not have listened to Kid A. Both of the things you mentioned can sound immensely good in the right hands.

this is all true tho

This, and why does something need "real instruments" to be good?
And why does someone need to play an instrument to be a talented musician? Many of the best, many widely regarded musicians are very mediocre instrumentalists but are good songwriters or vocalists (see Brian Wilson, John Lennon).

Retard. Or bait. I hope everyone else sages this bait too.

Radiohead is hipster tryhard electro-crap, their only good song is Creep and that one doesn't have auto-tune or computers.

what went wrong

>their only good song is Creep
Yep, definitely bait. Pack it up guys.

Everything. It's ugly as fucking sin to start off with.

Designers: NEEDS MORE TRUCK

Imo Van Halen is shit. I don't care if they "know" how to play their instruments,the outcome result of their compositions is garbage to me. Good playing =/= good music.

Fucking troll... and if you are not a troll, that you are, you are just showing the lack of knowledge about bands from this time.

imagine being born in the 40s and being forced to only listen to the five good bands present at the time AND not being able to witness the fuckton of brilliant shit being released as I write this post. 0/10, made me waste my time.

It's just an example, although your opinion doesn't really matter - the sheer impact they made on music however, does.
You won't find a single artist in the last 20 years that even came close.
>Good playing =/= good music.
agreed, but it helps

lets get a few things straight
>the shit music from the 60's-90's is not remembered at all
>the beatles were slung into celebrity by record companies as much as justin bieber is nowadays
>creating electronic music takes about at much talent/effort as conventional instrumental music
>exposure to conventional musical instruments/digital musical instruments is much bigger now, anyone can be a musician, it just takes longer to weed out the shit ones
>exposure to music itself is much bigger now; radio, social media, youtube, spotify, bandcamp, soundcloud all that shit vs. radio back in the day
and this is coming from someone who enjoys 60's and 70's music. Im just not saying it's objectively better because I actually learned how to reason. I just enjoy it more. Most people who enjoyed zeppelin or queen back in the day were following trends just as much as beliebers/one direction crap nowadays. That does not mean either music is objectively bad. There are a fuckton of other reasons why modern music may be crap, but its not that.

Its usually just millenials trying to differentiate from the rest "lol im so unique"

just as an addition to myself:
arguably, musicians back in the day had to do a lot more with the composition of their own song than they do now. This I consider a valid argument

>40s
You nuts? I'd be listening to so much Fletcher Henderson, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Billie Holliday, Louis Armstrong with his Hot 5s and 7s, not to mention being born in the 40s means being 10 in the 50s and coming of age in the 60s. You fucking nuts?

The impact of their music? come on.. they were just a pop/rock band with anything worth to remember...

dont forge that shit was considered blasphemous at the time
singing about love WHOOOAA

Go fuck yourself. Actually end your life, and apologize to everyone for not doing it sooner, you shitposting mongoloid.

>There are a fuckton of other reasons why modern music may be crap, but its not that.
At least said "modern mainstream music" because I can show you tons of modern musicians that are awesome but dont appear on Mtv

yes thats what I mean
thanks for the correction tho

Yeah, basically redefining how an electric guitar is supposed to be played is no big deal.
I get that you have your little meme contrarian fanclub full of people who couldn't play a cymbal note in key if your life depended on it over here, but holy shit Sup Forums, now you're just being silly.

here's your (You)

>implying that the op wasnt evidence enough to prove it was bait

btw, what do yall think of ben frost?

>implying you'd have had access to these

As I told you before: well played =/= good music. He did not redifine anything, he just invented a new "technique" and I can argue with that with this: youtube.com/watch?v=UmTQYquqxSY

Also rock music is just a tiny fraction of the total music in history is it really that important to influence just a tiny part of the total music that exist? I don't think so...

bait but still
>Hey baby, oh baby, pretty baby
>Tell me what you're doin', what you do to me
>Oh baby, pretty baby, oh baby
>Tell me won't you do me now, what you do to me, baby

autotune debacle is just this generation's acoustic vs electric guitars.

weak bait, m80

>i'm a retard who heard no more than 2 popular songs of a given artist and read a wiki article fragment to make claims on a topic I have no clue about to show my superior knowledge on an imageboard full of retarded wannabe music critics
yeah, have a nice day

>Music was objectively better in the past
yes
100 years ago

Ad hominen arguments are use when people don't know how to answer. Have a nice day too.

>What's wrong with enjoying music from past generations or "dad rock"?
Nothing, so stop being such an insecure dick about it.

reddit

>I cant formulate a decent response so I just say reddit XDXDXD

All I listen to is dad rock basically, trying to branch out

This bait shouldn't have worked. I'm disappointed in you Sup Forums

that post is more cringeworthy than rap in general

>Music was objectively better in the past
Fuck off boomer

And how the fuck can someone not have heard knockin on heaven's door? Anyone who's turned on a radio in the past 20 years has heard that song.

Guns and Roses suck big time, by nature I shut off the radio or flip to another station the minute I come across one of their songs they're that grating and unbearable.

Also GnR's cover is trash, Warren Zevon's version is 10,000,000X superior if you want to have any version of the song be considered "greatest song ever made".

>knocking on heavens door
>guns n roses
God i hope who ever posted that is raped

I heard it, but its not by guns and roses. thats a cover

>mass-marketed crap
Fucking look at the 70s dude. Mass-marketed crap everywhere.
>hipster tryhard trash
Progressive rock.
>lyrics were meaningful
haha yeah totally

LOOK AT THE BIG BRAINS ON user

that post is still cringeworthy
>all rap is shit
>the only good rap is eminem (2 of the worst songs)
>knocking on heavens door by guns n roses is the prime example of good music

this is the official Sup Forums timeline

>Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody
normie filter

Obvious b8 but i chuckled

not that bad desu, not a lot of shit that got forgotten

True.

Music made nowadays is made for women and homosexuals to go clubbing to. Now everybody obsesses over Justin Beaver lip-synching when Jimmy Page used to be able to shred on guitar live and have it sound as good as most of today's recordings. The raw stage energy created by Led Zeppelin can no longer be replicated ever since sterile electronic "music" was invented in 1990.

you chose one date you moron

i'm pretty sure he meant the entire year

Uh, you do realize that Kraftwerk made the first "true" electronic music back in the 70s?

>talking about sex, drugs, and violence

Is this moron implying these things werent extremely popular as song topics back then? What an idiot

>white guy with a guitar singing about sex and drugs
"What an epic, classic, incredible song. Truly better than todays music"

>black guy talking over beats about sex and drugs
"Wow, Music is so trashy today. What happened to good music???"

>white guy with a guitar singing about sex and drugs
>"What an epic, classic, incredible song. Truly better than todays music"

>implying anyone with taste ever listened to AC/DC, Motley Crue, or Kiss

All the music publications like Rolling Stone laughed at them back then and they still laugh at them.

but user

>Most people who enjoyed zeppelin or queen back in the day were following trends just as much as beliebers/one direction crap nowadays.
Do you think the Beatles worshiped Chuck Berry and Elvis because of their artistry or because they thought they were cool.

Don't music publications like Rolling Stone all glorify alternative/punk bands who mostly whine about Republicans?

>the shit music from the 60's-90's is not remembered at all

I'm quite sure AC/DC, Kiss, Motley Crue, and Def Leppard are pretty well remembered in the annals of popular music.

>Music was objectively better in the past,

So did guys like Christgau for that matter because he wrote for the Village Voice which was an infamous Marxist publication for decades. Well, I mean they gradually got neutered from the 80s onward when Rupert Murdoch bought them out, but still...

From an artistic standpoint, those bands are junk food and nothing more but they were good at writing catchy pop rock with huge hooks, so...meh.

I like the faces, but thank god for the internet

arguably, yes. But i mean mostly the stuff that slipped through the cracks like barclay james harvest. I still like em, but compared to their contemporaries (especially pink floyd) they're complete and utter shit

The 70s was literally the decade when mass-marketed buttrock came into being. The edgy, revolutionary late 60s-early 70s stuff gave way to stale, boring corporate rock like Eagles, Doobie Brothers, and Kiss.

Now Bruce Springsteen I will never get. I've never found one song of his that was listenable.

>meaningful lyrics, like Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody
what the fuck are either of these songs even about? a bunch of occulty sounding nonsense and a guy who killed a guy and is telling his mom about it? so meaningful lol

Ah, good old Xgau.

>write reviews that are so incomprehensible that nobody can understand what he's saying because he wants to show off his Oxford Dictionary fetish
>write reviews attacking the artist or his/her fans more than the music itself
>complete inconsistency
>claim on one hand that rock should be basic three chord jams and minimal production (keep rawk pure down with prog)
>then turn around and crap on Motley Crue and other buttrockers who do exactly that
>instead glorify pretentious college/alternative bands because they're in line with the politics of your Village Voice bosses

Christgau just goes a liiiitle too far up his own ass. Lester Bangs actually wrote more than two-sentence reviews on albums and he was a less opaque writer and had a better sense of humor.

>autism havers
I think we all know who really has autism here

I like I'm On Fire. Just a fan of the echo and reverb, but it's a go-to if I'm in a Springsteen mood.

youtube.com/watch?v=xzQvGz6_fvA

I would really like to know why he hates Black Sabbath? Hugely influential pioneers of heavy metal. The highest he's given them is a C.

Such weak b8, yet I'm compelled to reply.

youtube.com/watch?v=FcVnfh-epsI

Autotune IS ruining music though.

How is stairway to heaven "occulty ... nonsense?" Are you too dumb to understand the lyrics?

You do realize that if a bad singer's voice is made good via autotune, that's a good thing, right? It makes a shitty song that much better.

>le art is objective meme

The guy doesn't like metal and prog apparently because if the song doesn't have an immediately recognizable message (ie. the message of the song is couched in some metaphor about demons and wizards), he can't wrap his tiny brain around it. Like if you listened to any of Dio's songs, the meaning behind them is very...opaque.

Electronic music has, is, and always will be utter shit. Doesn't matter if it was made in 211 BC, it's shit.

Yeah he is a twat. Its almost like his blindly chooses a rating out of a hat. He conforms to popular demand - for example any led zeppelin fan will tell you that albums I and II are better than IV (in terms of innovation etc) but he scores IV higher. Furthermore, anyone who gives C- to black Sabbath's 1970 albums is an idiot (remember this was before ozzy was drugged up to fuck) – he was just a Beatles lover who couldn’t accept that the 60s were over.

>bad singer
Don't you see? That's the problem. No amount of autotune can fix bad singing because it just makes it sound like a fucking robot