Jesus fucking christ, Pitchfork. This is bottom tier journalism. What were they thinking...

Jesus fucking christ, Pitchfork. This is bottom tier journalism. What were they thinking? What's more to be said about any of these albums that hasn't been covered in hundreds and hundreds of print and online publications? Yeah great idea guys, let's write a few words on an established artist from 30 years ago written by a 24 year old and further bloat the content that we're evidently running out of.
This is a new low.

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21191-dealer/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18984-modern-baseball-youre-gonna-miss-it-all/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21677-holy-ghost/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18423-the-world-is-a-beautiful-place-i-am-no-longer-afra-whenever-if-ever/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18502-pity-sex-feast-of-love/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19428-tigers-jaw-charmer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you don't have to read it, you know

why do you think we're not supposed to criticize anything just cause we have the option to ignore it?

your first mistake was ever reading pitchfork to begin with

>King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
>Would you believe this album was released only one year after the assassination of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.? We certainly can't. There is no class-consciousness, no sense of the era it was formed in, not a single hint that the (white male) musicians are aware that they are standing atop the legacy of blues musicians of color, pretending that fetishizing the dead white men of the Baroque era can somehow overpower the level of appropriation they are committing simply by holding guitars in their hands. The instrumental sequence of 21st Century Schizoid Man, in particular, is an almost offensive barrage of imperialism, what could be described as musical blackface in its gentrification of traditional black American jazz beats. Maybe this dated piece of colonial oppression could be recycled as beats for Kendrick Lamar's new album, but as an isolated piece of music it serves only as a red flag for Madame President Clinton's terrorist watch list.

Why are you so upset? They're still better than TMT or the melon.

how is this "bottom tier journalism?" plenty of sites do this, you idiots will cry about anything.

Because that's saying a lot....

Who wrote that

No, "bottom tier journalism" would be writing articles like "The Unbearable Whiteness of Indie". They've already gone as low as they could possible go.

To whine about them writing something so monumentally insignificant says more about you than Pitchfork.

>Better than TMT, a site that literally skims the latest obscure Genrewave™ James-Ferraroian album on band camp and gives it 5 stars to make wannabe hipsters piss their pants; while not actually contributing to the mix tapes that their site is based on and instead letting their audience compile them instead.
Fantano embarrassed himself by actually trying to make people buy his classic reviews. Pitchfork is doing the same thing and instead collecting your ad revenue. Wow, amazing. 4 paragraphs from a skimmed Wikipedia article and a narrative about when your uncle gave you the album on your bar mitzvah.

Nah, I like it. Pitchfork trying to wield their influence to move the discussion about 'classic' albums past like, the boomer perspective of Rolling Stone. Probably a lot of 80s and 90s indie. Who knows. I hope this is better than whatever they're currently hyping.

its pointless because if they give anything less than an 8 they're gonna get shit on

Yeah, you'll also have the possibility to check out albums that you've heard of but never listened to

Jayson "kanye's gonna drop a brick (on my daughter's head)" Greene

Any reason p4k drones can't already do this without being spoon-fed?

the fact that this doesn't even seem particularly out of place in some circles, if only for the fact that they usually aren't as glib as this, is worrying to me. I almost expected it to be real.

What? How does Pitchfork bridge that gap?

sjw critique generator?

REV UP THOSE 10'S

>>Better than TMT, a site that literally skims the latest obscure Genrewave™ James-Ferraroian album on band camp and gives it 5 stars to make wannabe hipsters piss their pants
How exactly is that bad? They are reviewing actual indie acts all the fucking time. Nowadays Pitchfork only gives BNM to marketable albums. It's probably been years since they gave a great score to truly weird, experimental music

NIGHTLY PITCHFORK THREADS SEVEN DAYS A WEEK BABY

Not defending Pitchfork, but TinyMixtapes turned into an absolute fucking joke.
ps: Zoe i love you. :*

Question: is there a review site that is large enough that it will "endorse" roughly an album a week (in the vein of "best new album") that is not as pozzed as pitchfork?

I ask because I've been listening to an album a day, and I've been getting one every week from pitchfork's "Best new albums".
I take special notice when an album crosses the 9.0 threshold, as was the case with an album by Anohni's "Hopelessness".
Look into the album, all the reviews are raving about, "OMG, her voice!", and then start it up and its a dude doing a extra-husky falsetto, at which point it became clear that they're grading on a curve because of politics.

I'd really like to avoid wasting a day of music like that.

Honestly, I prefer classic album reviews to new reviews. P4K is still shit though, I don't care for them sucking Kanye's dick, and now they're just throw out 10s to every fucking Beatles and Bowie album out there.

I strongly suspect they will just appropriate the classic rock canon and put a spin on it to sell to young people

>all of the reviews' taglines are "X STEALS FROM BLACK ARTISTS"
>score is 0.8
>text body just says "wtf i hate x now"

I really like hopelessness musically but the lyrics for the most part are atrocious. She does have a great voice though

well I guess since you read pitchfork it's not too terribly surprising that you're overreacting about something like this

I stopped reading pitchfork like two years ago, around the time that I stopped listening to shitty bands like The National. what kept you going, faggot?

Reminder that if a band gets 7.0-8.0+ with no best new music, they paid for their review.

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21191-dealer/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18984-modern-baseball-youre-gonna-miss-it-all/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21677-holy-ghost/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18423-the-world-is-a-beautiful-place-i-am-no-longer-afra-whenever-if-ever/

This is just for the genre I know people in, I'm sure there's plenty of examples.

Why do you guys care about a publication that does this?

Here's the thing about that voice: Men have been singing in falsettos for how long? I don't even want to attempt to put a date on that.
But usually, when singers do that shit, its a high-effort, possibly voice straining affair (depending on if we're talking about hair metal or like, the sparks)

THE ONLY THING that's different about this person's falsetto is that its derived from his "Transitioned voice", which is to say, its a low-effort falsetto that transgenders use conversationally all day (because something more feminine-sounding would wear your voice out), only he's singing with it.

Its not in any particular way more beautiful; its different, especially for a jaded critic, and supporting this person's career is tremendously progressive for people to whom that word is an unconditional positive. But I don't want reviews that grade on a curve.

also,
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18502-pity-sex-feast-of-love/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19428-tigers-jaw-charmer/

You literally just slip a few bux to Ian for this shit.

addendum: The album reminded me a lot of "Drones" by Muse, which was an album with a better sound, similar political themes handled in a SLIGHTLY less ham-handed way, but it was made by white males, so its political themes got it panned.

>reading pitchfork
lmao nerd

i'm not gonna indulge the "white male" thing but I definitely find it interesting how something like Drones was essentially laughed at and panned by many critics for its sheer obviousness when I'm not even sure how Anohni's attempts at socially conscious lyrics was more nuanced or intelligent. haven't even listened to the record, not sure if I will, but I've read some of the lyrics and there's just nothing interesting there. is the music sufficiently good that it deserved such a high score? because I'm not dedicating time to a record due to its "powerful lyrics" about war or whatever.

I mean, I'm a fan of Oneohtrix Point Never, but the production was absolutely nothing compared to Garden of Delete.

And you're right, "White male" isn't really relevant here, since Anohni is exactly that, but he isn't Cis.

I should note, somebody above mentioned Jayson Greene. I usually don't make a note of WHO is recommending music on the "best new albums" list, but when I looked, that guy came up recommending "A Good Night in the Ghetto", another album (nix that, mixtape) with absolutely ZERO that was special about it except that it was a new, female rapper.

That's why I want alternatives. Pitchfork clearly contains a lot of cancer.

i'd say the melon is still better than pitchfork

I know p4k's always gotten shit on here, but ever since they got bought out by Conde Nast, they are completely intollerable now. Like i still used to check the site often, but since then it's just been clickbaity as fuck article, stupid lists and articles "to get you hyped for the new x release". And now this.

I never thought id say this but p4k is definitely loosing its place in the market. in another 5-6 years it will be obsolete.

>What's more to be said about any of these albums that hasn't been covered in hundreds and hundreds of print and online publications
Have you read every one of them?

Kind of a waste of your energy you could be putting into your own music.

Hahahaha no, it means the opposite. That it's a good album but not marketable.
You're new here aren't you?

No. I can also confirm this.

Prove it.

Yeah, because Currents is definitely just better than Max Richter, Colin Stetson, and Scott Walker

Internet journalism's been a fuckin joke for awhile. Also, nice trips

I strange how so many people here get so worked up over pitchfork and act like they know they take paid reviews even though that isn't the case at all

Yeah I mean really their non-BNM's are the good stuff.

Maybe they'll review obscure gem albums like old p4k, but seeming as every "artsy" New Yorker journalist post grad hack gets work at p4k these days so I doubt it.

What if they use it to give new opinions on things that have been covered a lot (i.e. 8.3-ing a famous record) or praise albums that haven't received a lot of love in the past? It'd be pretty boring if they gave a 10 to some famous album every week

Ok what the fuck, while I wrote this I wondered if one of the albums they'd review was hounds of love and then I look at the actual page and they're ducking reviewing it. Get comfy senpai