You know, I was legitimately interested how Grimes got that BNM from p4k for Art Angels, a 5/10 album at best

You know, I was legitimately interested how Grimes got that BNM from p4k for Art Angels, a 5/10 album at best.

Well, color me surprised…

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Hopper
metacritic.com/music/art-angels/grimes/critic-reviews?dist=positive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So you've proven what exactly?

Why is journalism plagued with this cancer nowadays? I don't fucking get it.

p4k doesn't care about music they are paid to make positive reviews for artists no one else would care for to change the various polarizations in pseudo-scenes, i.e. they're tastemakers for posers.

That it was reviewed by a die-hard feminist slash music ciritic?

You know, I hate Sup Forums and all that. I even hate to post this. But when the author is a legit feminist, publishing feminist music books—then I no longer can pretend that it's just a matter of taste.

Damn. . .

I HATE WOMEN

Journalism degrees are only pursued by these kinds of people.

Sam is that you??

because your taste is ass, probably
of all records that came out last year, AA will become the most "classic"

Wow what "surprise"

Sup Forums """"""""""BTFO""""""""""

>Grimesfags actually believe this

epic satire u blew these misogynists out of the water XDDDD

Of course it won't be To Pimp a Butterfly, Currents, The Epic, Carrie & Lowell... those records aren't popular at all, man.

AA's place is on Soundcloud, like its artwork's place is on DeviantArt

>what is leveling the playing field

Ahahaha lol fuck they just couldn't be more obvious

I swear to god they're not even pretending anymore

> what is meritocracy and non-biased criticism

GTFO to tumblr with your politics

this is too fucking easy holy shit yall are scaring me

>> what is meritocracy
See >and non-biased criticism
Something that hasn't really existed until now.

Any other questions?

BUTT

SMELL

lol get the fuck out of here with that stupid shit
kill urself

and how is being a feminist bad? shes happy to see a self producing woman taking control of her own sound, career, and commercial success in a male dominated industry. thats bad how? not every review shes ever given a woman is in praise....

>How is feminism bad
Haha are you..... Triggered?

Yep, it's obviously reflected by those who take up the profession. Just as there was a disproportionate amount of white guy rock critics back in the day, there are now a bunch of SJW types permeating journalist culture. There will never be a break from this trend, which indicates the importance of subjectivity and the ability to discern critically and independently.

YEAH THATS BECAUSE SHE FUCKS THE MALE REVIEWERS FOR GOOD REVIEWS

THEN THEY REVIEW HER BUTT

ITS GOOD BUTT THEY SAY

Jesus women can't you fuk off we can do just fine amirite lads?

This man understands.

Whores belong fucked end of story

patriarchy on suicide watch

You see, Jessica Hopper made her whole life out of it. Look at her reviews—80–90% of them are for female artists specifically.

OK, but that doesn't necessarily make her bad, right? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she's nice and all? Let's look at her wikipedia page, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Hopper .

She has a book called "The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic". So, her main schtick is, "I'm rock critic and I'm female!". Good start…

Let's read on… "A feminist punk, she was encouraged by music critic Terri Sutton to find her own “staunch and caustic and uncompromising” voice". So, to be a bitch. Good.

"She was the DJ for This American Life and the first music editor of the radical teen-girl webzine Rookie." Yup, "radical". Oh well, I can already feel she's about to give some constructive criticism…

AND! IF YOU'VE READ THIS FAR!

THE FUCKING CHERRY ON TOP:

"Hopper was a senior editor of Pitchfork and the editor in chief of the print quarterly The Pitchfork Review from October 2014 until November 2015. She was appointed editorial director of music for MTV News in 2016."

SHE WAS APPOINTED EDITORIAL DIRECTOR OF MUSIC FOR MTV NEWS IN 2016.
Couldn't make this shit up.

Men on suicide watch!

What happened to mtv

Rhetorical question but fuck man

Men don't care, they simply poke fun at poor quality journalism.

If only I knew.

It might be cause for concern if MTV's music content didn't amount to, what, three quarter-hour segments a week?

>journalism
its basically feminist circlejerking desu

There's not much of a difference. All journalism is some sort of circlejerking now-a-days.

>Men don't care
>whine on Sup Forums about women being better than them all day and night

TPaB maybe
those others, lmao my dude

evidently not

Yeah, but that's cause we're a bunch of losers not representative of the male populace at large. They'd have to fuck up pretty bad for them to turn out worse, or even on par with us.

>still whining on about women

damn

It's not a matter of feminism being a bad thing.
She's giving the music a score BECAUSE a women made the album, regardless of the quality of the actual music.

Her head is so far up her own ass that she thinks that the music doesn't matter in a review of music.

No, I mean that since that woman of color talking teaching children about racism constitutes MTV News now, it's very logical for them to hire Hopper.

Well I'm fine when they review albums more or less objectively. When their author gave Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts and Flowers 0.0 I was equally pissed. Just give Grimes 5/10, 6/10 max that she actually deserves, talk about the weak points. But nope—let's pretend it's a perfect album to push our agenda.

This is the only thread I've made here on this issue and Art Angels is the only record that illustrates it. It's an exception from the rules, fortunately. But it's a pretty big one, since Grimes went waaay too far with that amateur production. It's a huge letdown after Visions, while doing pretty much the same thing.

Art Angels - AOTY 2015

Pitchfork have just reiterated their previous endorsements. They're predisposed to them, to stay true to their own pitchforkcore.
It's about their own image, which is why they would have some lesbian to front their meme-ratings.

> The retooling of MTV News comes at a time of turmoil for the channel. Ratings in its 12-to-34 target demographic are down about 40 percent over the last five years, according to Nielsen. (Most channels that target a young audience have seen their ratings decline, to some extent.) Add to that descent the loss of several key executives, including Van Toffler, president of MTV Networks Music and Logo Group, and MTV President Stephen Friedman. MTV’s corporate parent has its own issues: Viacom’s profit fell 10 percent and revenues declined 6 percent, according to financial results reported Feb. 9, and its stock price has dropped from more than $72 a share in April 2015 to about $35 at the end of yesterday (Feb. 10) amid criticism of the performance of CEO and Chairman Philippe Dauman.

T. grimesposter

>by jessica hopper
>jewish
always check that byline. >>>/pol is always right.

Go back to Sup Forums

if Grimes objective was to prove women can make just as good music as men, why did she go for pop music? it think it only proves women can make equally shitty music. what kind of a statement is that. Why not actually do something different.

hi david.

Having seen several interviews with Grimes, I think she never really had the agenda Hopper tried to impose on her. She's not very talented, but she wants/likes to make music.

The media just tries to fit her in their narrative. As usual, they try to say some artist is the "voice of the generation", when she's just a bedroom pop producer.

what that woman is saying is highly insulting to other female talents, what a retard

>pop music is bad

ok

I hate that when, for example, Victoria LeGrand or Bjork make amazing, grandiose, personal albums, Grimes gets far more recognition for shallow and inferior music.

Grimes is far more superior and her albums are very personal and actually unique.

grimesfag please

Have you even heard one Bjork album
Have you even heard Beach House's Bloom

Then maybe your opinion will be of some interest

>for example, Victoria LeGrand or Bjork
>personal albums

You can't make a 100% personal album if someone is producing for you. Grimes' music is as personal as it gets.

fuck off retard

>Beach House
i giggled

kys. ricardo

she was involved in the murder of kurt cobain too

7KT BRO, SEND THIS THREAD TO GRIMES ON TWITTER

>Art Angels, a 5/10 album at best.
Speak for yourself. It's a 9/10 album for me.

Let's say that P4K got it wrong. Let's say that they fucking inflated that score. But explain this Fucking hell, most reviews were positive. What that says about you?

>envious because she made it while you're a stupid soundcloud producer with 8 followers

Reviewers were never objective. It was all subjective all the fucking time.

Do you even understand what producers do?

What do you say about the lack of production/mixing? Rehashed pop melodies? The farting bass drum on Venus Fly?

See and . More importantly, did you see who rated it 100/100? Does "cokemachineglow" sound like a reliable source? Now Magazine and Exclaim! are Canadaian, it's obvious they'll give it 100/100. The Guardian, however, gave it 6/10, that score is not included in the rating for some reason. Also, they count A ratings as 100/100 which raises some questions.

your taste is just different, music is subjective

i laughed really hard at this and i dont know why

i think unless you are a teenager or a misogynist yourself, you only have to spend about 5 minutes here to see that sexism is rife in the music community, at least in the uh, self-proclaimed 'critical music listening' community

this board is full of bitter, lonely men who believe they hold some kind of intellectual superiority over people who enjoy different sounds to them. music is of course the easiest form of media to consume at a 'high brow' level without actually being remotely intelligent, so the result is the circlejerk of stupidity you see now

>But it's a pretty big one, since Grimes went waaay too far with that amateur production. It's a huge letdown after Visions, while doing pretty much the same thing.
Seriously, wtf is that obsession with the production? It sounds fine, ffs. There are lots of elements in her songs, there is a lot of sonic diversity, everything sounds crisp and her voice is more in foreground.

Explain what do you mean by amateur production.

>another fucking gender thread

stop turning Sup Forums into Sup Forums this cancer. I get what you are trying to say, but it really doesn't matter.

she caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiis big

To add to this: Fantano gave it 7/10. Same about Spectrum Pulse. Slant and Rolling Stone went with 7.

The rest is pretty questionable sources. You know, every Taylor Swift record got around 75 and up with her last 2 albums, does that mean they are really good? Do you really believe these critics will give unbiased reviews of her work?

Agreed

this

It's pop, but also electronic. Pop could reach the masses and she wants popularity like any artist. This is subverted pop, not oridinary one. How many songs like Kill V. Maim are in the Top 40? How many similar songs to KVM do you know?

>when she's just a bedroom pop producer.
If Grimes is just a bedroom pop producer, why people are discussing about her so much? Why do you talk about her ITT? Why do you even care?

What if her music is really great even if it's made by a bedroom pop producer? (Actually an electronic pop producer)

Look, I said I hate to make a thread like this. I'm sorry to make you all think about that shit again. I don't like it, you don't like it. We're both sick of it.

But you know, I really expected the record was reviewed by some neutral author, at least by p4k standards. But they put literally THE most feminist, political person they could find in their office to review it. See for clarification.

And you know, it's just fucking ridiculous. It's as smart as letting Sup Forums review Drake albums, because it's obvious they will have an enormous bias. That's it. It's not about gender, it's about people forcing their politics into music criticism.

Victoria LeGrand or Bjork didn't even make everything by themselves. Grimes does everything. What is more personal than that? She's a one woman band.

It sounds like a generic EDM-influenced overproduced pop song, with some horrible vocals thrown over it. Far more offensive to the senses than the average formulaic pop song, but that's what should be expected when you have someone who's never learned any music theory or taken vocal lessons in their life.

Beach House are one trick ponies. Far from the experimental music made by Grimes.

It doesn't. You're just too shallow and hipster. Listen more than once to that album.

Not that user but: when you have no arguments you start insulting people. You just made yourself look like a fool. gg

>What do you say about the lack of production/mixing?
What lack are you talking about? It sounds very good.

>Rehashed pop melodies?
What? Name similar melodies and I believe you.

>The farting bass drum on Venus Fly?
lmfao

so a feminist likes an album where the lyrics center almost entirely around feminism and the female experience, and you're questioning that...why? because you don't like it?

the music is actually good too, if you would take off your pretentious Sup Forums goggles for 2 seconds and actually listen to it. some of the most intricate and detailed production i've ever heard on a pop album

Underrated post

Amateur production is when you can hear the musician barely knows how to mix album in Ableton. When you can hear beginner mistakes in production.

This

> experimental
Ahahaha, fuck dude have you ever heard any experimental music? Do you even understand what this label means?

I'm fucking done, you grimesfags sound like Art Angels is your first album. You literally sound like shills. Kill V Maim is good song? When it basically sounds like average radio pop plus reverb? And that's in your opinion is an important song? Jesus H Christ.

i think unless you are a teen girl or a misandrist yourself, you only have to spend about 5 minutes here to see that feminism is rife in the music community, at least in the uh, self-proclaimed 'critical music listening' community.

music press and Tumblr are full of bitter, lonely women who believe they hold some kind of intellectual superiority over people who hold different views than them. music is of course the easiest form of media to consume at a 'high brow' level without actually being remotely intelligent, so the result is the circlejerk of stupidity you see now

Kek worst b8 I've seen all day

>i think unless you are a teen girl or a misandrist yourself, you only have to spend about 5 minutes here to see that feminism is rife in the music community, at least in the uh, self-proclaimed 'critical music listening' community.
>music press and Tumblr are full of bitter, lonely women who believe they hold some kind of intellectual superiority over people who hold different views than them. music is of course the easiest form of media to consume at a 'high brow' level without actually being remotely intelligent, so the result is the circlejerk of stupidity you see now

did you actually read what you were typing here? if you're gonna attempt an ebin switcheroo post at least make sure it makes sense before posting

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!!!!!

hey guess what i love Roly Porter and Autechre and Ryuichi Sakamoto and I also love Art Angels

you know why

because it's good.

it's also pretty experimental for a pop album of its caliber.

but since you seem to be an expert on "experimental music", why don't you explain what it is?

go on. what is experimental music, son?

yup

>The rest is pretty questionable sources.
Almost all the main publication rated AA highly: P4K, DIY Mag, Pretty Much Amazing, Consequence of Sound, The AV Club, PopMatters, Billboard, Resident Advisor, Mojo, Allmusic, Uncut, Tiny Mix Tapes, Drowned in Sound, etc

metacritic.com/music/art-angels/grimes/critic-reviews?dist=positive

There are fucking 30 positive reviews, 2 mixed, and 0 negative. What do you want more? Are these pretty questionable sources?

>You know, every Taylor Swift record got around 75 and up with her last 2 albums, does that mean they are really good?
Yes they are. Stop being a rockist.

there's a 12 year old on Sup Forums again mods