What's the most difficult and/or important role in a rock band?

What's the most difficult and/or important role in a rock band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXOdn6vLCuU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bands are overrated

compromising sucks

one man metal for life

Drums

composer

If you're in a good band, drums.
If you're in a shit band, frontman I guess.

i have to agree with this, if you make shit, nothing can save you

Drummer here.

is wrong

is correct

lead singer because you get too much pussy and it takes a lot outta you

Drummer here

is right

For the vast majority of bands, drumming is just keeping a simple rhythm, bass is just playing root notes, singing is just that, and guitar is simple leads. Composition is what matters.

I'd say guitar is generally the hardest though, you have to keep on top of things more than with other instruments, and at higher levels there are more effects and things to keep up with. Bass is the most underrated; drums and vocals can be very impressive but they'll usually get recognition, while few people outside the bass-playing world talk about great bass in popular music.

Hardest:
Depending on the talent of the members, either bass or drums

Most Important:
Lead instrument

To work together as a team

Since you posted that image, Imma leave it here because this is the episode of DHMIS with the best music in it

youtube.com/watch?v=sXOdn6vLCuU

The triangle

Keyboards are the hardest at the highest level (a la Emerson, Wakeman) though they can also be easy if done simply (such as with a lot of 80s polysynth work)

Bass is the most important

This guy has it

If your rhythm section beefs it once it fucks the whole arrangement

If the guitarist fucks up, they can usually recover, even if it's in the middle of a solo or something, just by playing more notes.

If the bassist fucks up, it's okay because it's usually low in the mix and the drums can cover.

If the drummer fucks up, not only does everyone hear it, but it can derail the rest of the song, because everyone is matching the beat of the drums, so suddenly everyone is off at once. The drummer is like the conductor in a rock band, he controls everybody and everything.

Idk maybe it's just where I live or maybe it's just a recent trend but I've always noticed the bass as really high in the mix and loud

Depends on what you're listening to(live or recordings)

You would think that drums wouldnt be hard but the amount of guys that can keep time without changing is super low

In a good band, drums. In a shitty band, guitar. That's because a good band works together, meaning the drummer acts as the skeleton and thus is responsible for the whole group. In a shitty band, the flash is more important and so the guitar takes a front seat, meaning that the guitar absolutely has to be the best part even if it's still shit.

As a guitar player:

Most difficult - Writer/composer
Most important - Drummer

waiiiiiit a second.

so Sup Forums, or should I say the people on Sup Forums do a weird thing A LOT, and I'm not sure if they're naive or subtly trolling/baiting.

and that is, you ask a question, but you don't define the limits of the question. of even where or what the question is directed to.

so for example,

>What's the most difficult and/or important role in a rock band?

are we saying firstly in the sense of "recording" or "playing live"? is this not a critical distinction?

I mean to say, that the "role" you are asking about, corresponds to what exactly? the overall "effectiveness" of the band? how do you judge effectiveness? are you 18? am I not dumb enough for this place?

define your terms motherfucker! narrow the scope! get the magnifying glass out fool!!! or else, the answers will propagate like a bad virus in a sea of conflicting and confused definitions and subjectivity........

Bass. A good bassist can make a band groove together, or a shitty one can just mimic the guitar and make it bland.

>most difficult
Impossible to measure. Depends on the type of band, the type of instruments being used, the skill level of each individual musician and the technical prowess required to play their parts.

>most important
As others have said it's definitely the composer/main songwriter. As for which instrument is most important it becomes the same as my above response. Depends on a variety of things.

The fuck doll

hm?

Difficult, usually lead guitar.
Important, usually singer.