I am new to Sup Forums, never listened to music that much until now

Hello Sup Forums, I am new to this board but also music in general. I heard music a lot on the radio, but never took interest in it as a child. I am now 22, and I want to try to actually listen to music, not just the radio/whatever other people are playing near me. Please give me some good bands or whatever, and also maybe some good music to listen to while playing video games. Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=481q8FTwxZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AwoSzLBvJgA
youtube.com/watch?v=W6H8WcTPnWM
youtu.be/A0igWoouzxA
youtu.be/XNhZd1Dg2PU
youtu.be/iPpxevmCXX8
youtube.com/watch?v=RWQMg56ZVZY
youtube.com/watch?v=UUBAFPIHETA
rateyourmusic.com/customchart
youtube.com/watch?v=OrMjc4oz0mY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtKsVq9XlfA
youtu.be/XYrQC-jWMFM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_saw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go read it

What have you already heard that you've liked?

Listening to it right now, I like where this is going, thank you friendo.

youtube.com/watch?v=481q8FTwxZQ

I am lazy, sue me bubby

I have listened to everything, rally. Just anything that was on. I am sorry I don;t have anymore details, but I do like this so far.

Don't listen to music while playing games unless you've heard it a lot already. Especially when you're first starting out you want to actually be listening to the music and not just having it as background noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=AwoSzLBvJgA

Doesn't really do it for me friend, thanks anyway.

I was asking if there was any good background music I could listen to, separate from the music I will just listen to on it's own. I like this too, even though I feel like I am a blank canvas, so basically anything you throw at me I will like.

This chart is good for getting started. These are some of the most discussed albums on Sup Forums.

animals as leaders. now your set for life.

i can't believe you hate music

Thank you for the list, I will spend some time on it, but jesus there is a lot of music there. Does anyone know how many hours that it would take to listen to it all?

Sup Forums is mostly a rock music board id start with earlier rock music like the beatles or beach boys
theyre fun, not too complex, and will help you branch out into other genres

nice meme kiddo, I like your spunk

the velvet underground might actually be one of the best starts since they pioneered a crazy amount of rock subgenres

don't tell me you didn't expect to get in to music without listening to many hours of it

Thank you bubby, I didn't expect this many people to take me seriously, so I thank you.

Try to calculate with 40 minutes per album and see what that is. That's the minimum then and it would probably take a good amount longer.

Though I've been posting on here for years and haven't bothered listening to most of those so I wouldn't say listen to everything. I think charts like that wanting everyone to listen to the same things are stupid anyway.

A long time, but you don't have to listen to it all. There is some good stuff there, but for the love of god, don't stop at Sup Forumscore. It's just a jumping off point, branch out from there

That's the good thing about the list - you don't have to listen to all of it. I would recommend listening to the very top albums and going from there. For example, if you enjoyed Loveless a lot, look for more shoegaze albums.

Yes of course

I didn't really come on here to spend my whole life listening to music, if that is what you meant. More like something to do in my free time/while I am doing things. Part of the reason I am here in the first place is because I never understood the appeal of music. I just want some nice jams.

STOP WHAT YOURE DOING A LISTEN TO youtube.com/watch?v=W6H8WcTPnWM

If you listen to 5 a day you are done in 2 months.

unless you're playing minecraft or some multiplayer game or something like that, try to pay attention to the soundtracks, they can be just as good as regular albums.

youtu.be/A0igWoouzxA
youtu.be/XNhZd1Dg2PU
youtu.be/iPpxevmCXX8

yeah i know these are all JRPG songs. oh well

Well, I guess I won;t be listening to all of it then. I didn't exactly come here to make music my life, just to pass the time, not waste time. Sorry if that is offensive, but it is the truth.

Not exactly what I am looking for, but not terrible either. I will give it a 6/10. I really don't like random arbitrary sounds like rusted hinges swinging in the middle of an otherwise okay song.

please ignore this man

kill yourself memer

You should get a last.fm account, it really helped me when I was first getting into music as a young teen. This was years ago though, and I guess it's gotten worse since the big update. You track whatever albums/bands you listen to and it gives you recommendations. Easily way to find similar artists to stuff you already like.

I didn't ask for video game soundtracks, but I still might listen to them. Is it not common to listen to video game soundtracks here? I don't really know anything about this board.

>not waste time
Actual listening is not wasting time

why does everyone on this terrible board jump at the chance to make people listen to generic Sup Forumscore

First one is okay for background stuff, not great otherwise.
Second one is better, but not that great.
Third is best, but again just for background music.

Thank you, they are all okay, I appreciate it.

>I really don't like random arbitrary sounds like rusted hinges swinging in the middle of an otherwise okay song.
holy fucking shit don't even bother listening to music man. This is some of the most regular and normal things in the list.

I'm not saying that you have to like this, but if you truly hate those "arbitrary sounds" (???) that ruin an "ok song" then just stick to the Top 40 bullshit.

All you need, my man

youtube.com/watch?v=RWQMg56ZVZY
youtube.com/watch?v=UUBAFPIHETA

ITAOTS's instrumentation is pretty bad desu

you seem very hesitant, if you have doubts about this than you should probably find something else to spend time on. i dont want to tell you not to listen to music, but im pretty sure all of us here kinda just fell into it naturally, we didnt just decide to get into it one day.

start with what you already like, get deeper into the discographys of those artists, see if the band members have side projects, follow whatever youtube recommends you, ect.

rateyourmusic.com/customchart
heres a user voted list of the best albums ever.

This is always a good start in listening to good music. Branch off from here.

In my eyes, it is the same as playing video games, except less interactive and with less benefits, like playing with friends. You are lying to yourself if your are saying that spending every waking moment listening (I didn't say anything about making) to music isn't wasting time. Honestly, it is even below watching tv, as you don;t sit around with your friends and family and watch a blank screen with sounds playing for fun. Music has always been a background thing for me, and I am sorry if that goes against the philosophy of Sup Forums, but it is the truth. Granted it is better than shitposting all day, but not by much.

wow, gross

>it's the truth
Why are you so set on your opinion being the absolute truth. You could be wrong you know

Personally I got sick of video games and spend my time listening to music instead. Listening to music, playing video games, watching movies, etc are all a waste of time in one way or another. Some people do listen to music with friends though, that's not something that doesn't exist.

listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=OrMjc4oz0mY

>come to Sup Forums for advice
>dismisses listening to music completely

maybe you will like this band

It's a waste of time if you don't incorporate what you listen to in your own music.

Oh yeah, and make music. That should be a goal.

Check this out:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtKsVq9XlfA

Everything's a waste of time we're all be dead

Are you saying that because I don;t like rusted swing sets playing in my music that I don;t even deserve to listen to music? How fucking useless are you? Do you just sit around and listen to music all day, judging people who respectfully say they don;t like one song you offered them? I bet you think of yourself as an artist, listening to all of your rusty swings and random moaning in your """Music""". And using the argument "Everyone else on this board listens to it, so you should to" and calling it "Normal" doesn't do anything for your """argument""". How fucking idiotic do you have to be to try to defend rusty hinge sounds as "music"? Are you that delusional? Fucking drink bleach, I can't believe that you are being serious. This is almost as bad as the Sup Forums hive mind.

this. for a long time i thought that shit like TV and movies and even books were a waste of time. im a musician/lyricist myself and i realized that all the shit i expose myself to builds my creativity and inspires me in some way or another

I am going to spam so many threads with this

>not listening to field recordings of playgrounds in Chernobyl and Pripyat
Why do you hate music

Anything could be, moron. That's like the religion argument that, "You can't prove me wrong, therefore I am right!". Jesus, why did I even come here if this is what it's going to be like...

>rusted hinges
But that sound your hearing is an actual musical instrument. It's a singing saw

Itaots instrumental arrangements are half of what make it good

Your welcome, friend.

these

Honestly if you just listen to the top albums on rym for a start that should give you a bit of an idea

What are your hobbies/interests? We need something to go on.

It's not the truth whatsoever. Artistry transmits soul, messages and ideas into the listener. I gives you a complete new perspective of the world and of cultures, even people. You seem to be stuck with the idea that everything that isn't objectively productive is a waste of time. It's not. Growing as a person is hugely beneficial, it makes you stand out to those who settled for less in a fucking mediocre world, and that gives you an edge.

Leave this fucking board and go back to whatever the fuck you waste your time on, because you don't have shit to do here.

the saw shit is awful, though

Is that what he's complaining about? I was trying to figure out what he meant by rusted hinge as I don't remember anything about that but he's complaining about the saw?

OP you should listen to 13th Floor Elevators. They use an "electric jug" in their music.

you are literally the one coming here saying "music is a waste of time, I am correct, it is the truth". You sound like a numbskull

lol

Shit taste, the saw is a great instrument. Listen to the Music Tapes if you want to get a better feel for it

Calling that noise an instrument just makes my argument stronger. It is terrible and hurts my head, sounds like fingernails on a chalk board, yet you tell me someone has named it, and given it a place in music? Jesus Christ, I hope you are joking. I bet you like to go to modern art galleries where someone just shit on a canvas and says it's worth millions of dollars. Holy shit, this whole thread has been eye-opening...

youtu.be/XYrQC-jWMFM

holy shit dude you didn't wrote so much and siad so little. And thanks for the pasta. We love having you ignorant shits around here to make fun of something.

By the way,
that's me as well. You sound like such a fucking manchild. U sure you're 22?

i played in a band with a guy who did a saw song in every set
it was terrible and never went down well beyond the sheer novelty factor

I know they should have replaced it with an electric guitar \m/

I am not even going to respond to this with and argument, this is just sad. Please get help, for your sake. Jesus.

This has to be bait, and if it isn't you're insane. The musical saw is a fantastic instrument. Open your horizons, isn't that what you came here for?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_saw

Just a straight Saw song, not even a duet? Yeah that's pretty stupid, but a saw can be great in conjunction with other instruments

I´ve already listened all the p4k core and essentials but I use this chart... more complete in my opinion

Holy fucking shit OP you managed to prove you're huge fucking ego and your severe lack of intelligence in a mere couple of posts.

You're either the best bait I've seen this year or truly the most disgusting, boring and retarded simpleton I've seen in this board in quite a while. Again, gtfo.

Hehe nice meme kiddo :^)

This has to be bait, and if it isn't your insane. The musical saw is a terrible instrument. Open up your horizons, why are you still here, on this board?

[Astonishment], if you don't agree with my opinion then you are wrong :^)]. [Opinion]. [Arbitrary statement about improving yourself]

Fixed.

Is that yours? If so listen to soundtracks for the blind already dude

The open your horizons statement isn't arbitrary because op's only purpose for coming here was to listen to more music. Try a little harder to look smart next time

I made a vg soundtrack thread like a year ago that saw little traffic, but they aren't uncommon. Persona 4 and Time Splitters are the classics.

do you have a blank one of these?

I am ignorant because we both listened to the same piece of audio and I didn't like it but you did?

Keep up the good work, Mr.Logical...

nah, that user's just saying to listen to the game's soundtrack in stead of replacing it with some other shit; 'cause you know it was made for the game and shit
unless you're playing dota or some shit then do what you want

Hey dude, mind listening to this and giving your opinion?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU

I literally said: I'm not saying that you have to like this.

Not only you have the absolute definition of shit taste, you also can't read for shit. When are you going to leave, normie?

I don't even need to check this to know that it is a """real""" """instrument""", that is not the issue. The issue is I could make a machine that put fingernails on a mini chalkboard inside of a box, and call it an instrument, and I wouldn't be wrong. But is would be terrible. That is my point you fucking sheep.

No you're ignorant because your writing off all sorts of music for little to no reason, when your purpose in coming here was to listen to more music

Take your bait elsewhere

>all this because I linked him ITAOTS

That's right you wouldn't be wrong. And if you could utilize it well in a piece of music, you should. I'm glad your getting it

Sure.

why would you come onto a board about something you dont know a lot about, then act like the authority on it?

?We love having you ignorant little shits around here to make fun of something."

Get your eyes checked bubby.

do you realize this is possibly the worst place on the internet to discuss music?

Because he's a fisheman

jesus you haven't heard dark side of the moon? daydream nation? the doors?

jesus fucking this.

>have no clue of anything regarding technology
>go to Sup Forums to ask a question
>get answers
>"no ur all wrong lol i know technology better"

This cunt baited us hard.

You will learn soon enough that "anything rally" =\= anything on radio.

>The issue is I could make a machine that put fingernails on a mini chalkboard inside of a box, and call it an instrument
Do it. I'm sure you'd make some money off of it. I mean people use feedback in music all the time. I don't think the singing saw sounds bad but you've gone on a tirade in this thread about one of the instruments used in a song.

Whoops, "

there we go

This is also okay. I really don't see anything wrong with it, as it is not filled with rusty hinges. Thanks for the jam compadre.