Reminder that according to Scaruffi, the original Super Mario Bros...

Reminder that according to Scaruffi, the original Super Mario Bros. is a greater artistic achievement than any hip-hop album ever made.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3998862/Rap-music-originated-in-medieval-Scottish-pubs-claims-American-professor.html
scaruffi.com/phi/syn175.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hXBmygI-N3M
youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7uQgQcO6o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's not wrong

it is

Source

And that's absolutely correct.

Reminder that video games are not art.

Of course he thinks so, he's italian.

source

super mario bros movie > super mario bros game > every hiphop album

Reminder that if literature is art, music is art, painting is art and sculpture is art, a mix of them is art.

>a mix of them is art.
except it's not a mix of them

Every thing I had for dinner last night was food, but when I mixed them all together it turned into shit, so...

Neither is hip hop :)

who is the artist? nintendo? are dlc's and expansion packs part of the art too?

games are just things business produce to make money like blockbuster movies

Agreed. Art takes actual talent to make.

this same argument could be applied to almost any popular medium

okay motherfuckers. Aristotle says art is anything that doesnt have its own interior motion and that imitates nature. Therefore, SMB is art

How does SMB imitate nature?

Well, if Aristotle was alive today (god bless his soul), he would agree with me that video games are not art

I would know, I was his best friend

What about axiom verge, a game made by one person and with no dlc

>the original Super Mario Bros. is a greater artistic achievement than any hip-hop album ever made.
Well, he's not wrong.

hi Hermias of Atarneus, hows it going?

it captures the essence of stomping on mushrooms and defeating a dragon to save a princess. Like an epic fairy tale that you can enact within your home

He's right.

Except when it is made, marketed, and consumed as entertainment, of course.

Playing Mario is better than listening to Kendrick Lamar crying about nigger problems

so all pop isnt art

Reminder that the Super Mario Bros soundtrack isn't a video game, and it sure as hell sounds better than any hip-hop shit ever created.

ha what a loser, hes probably playing mario in his dead moms basement right now

Don't forget Evochron Mercenary.
That space sim was created by 1 single guy.
Even if you rounded up all the hip hop artists in the world,
gave them all the programming books necessary,
and put them all in a room supplied with food and basic necessities,
they would still not have the mental capacity to create as a group what this one guy managed.

And that my friends, is art.

>fuck (c)rap, it's not real music just niggers (IM NOT A RACIST BTW) talknng XD i was born in le wrong generation
>yeah i like video game soundtracks im not like those stupid sheep who go to parties and get laid
>i participate in highly intelligent discussion about topics like men's rights and I think feminists are the worst thing on eareth because they ruin my video games, theyre also the reason why im a virgin

To be fair SMB is actually really important to video games. SMB perfected 2d platformer movement.

Such poor arguments christ.

so we're all in agreement that Super Mario Wrold 2: Yoshi's Island is the greatest game of all time yeah?

Also most PC games aren't fun desu

Going to parties to get laid usually doesn't involve either gaming or hip-hop,
so i don't know where you came up with this.
Are you just randomly shouting personal grievances or something?

i went to art college and you're basically thought that the difference between an artist and a craftsman is in the planning stage where you think philosophically about your work, so if that guy did that then he made art

Hip Hop is literally anti-intellectual music. I'm not even a big gamer, but SMB is arguably more important than hip hop

you're a fucking idiot

Not all pop is made to be marketed

Have you ever listened to African drum music?
Or any instrumental hip hop outside of Sup Forumscore?

The only idiots here are the teenagers who are deluded into thinking their shitty immature entertainment is art.

Triggered.

I'm actually a southamerican halfnigger halfspic.
I don't like game soundtracks, I don't even play videogames these days.
And I don't give a fuck about Sup Forums or Sup Forums shit.e

Not everyone that dislikes hip-hop is a fedora dadrocker, you gigantic faggot.

let's look at the definition of art, shall we.

"the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."
or
"the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance."

therefore, video games are art.

african drum music is hip hop?

>let's google "define art" and use that in our discussion, since I have no art education of my own
Kid, go back to Sup Forums.

With "parties", I don't mean your anime conventions where you can circlejerk with your fellow neckbeard permavirgins about how evil women are.
You're right about one thing though, no decent person plays video games.

lmao found another one, did Sup Forums and Sup Forums decide to raid Sup Forums?

It's an integral link to Hip Hop yes you dumb motherfucker.
You didn't even answer my second question so I'll assume you haven't.

Different user here. I've done both.

Now answer the question.

How?

>You're right about one thing though, no decent person plays video games.
Are you saying Michael J. Fox is not a decent person?

But you do have a point that no hip-hop artist is a decent person, given how 99% of them play video games.

>rejecting the definition of a word to use it the way you desire
>using kid unironically
kill yourself doesnt expose my feeling towards you as strongly as i would like it to

What the fuck are you talking about you moron there is no question in this chain of posts
I can tell you're 18 or sub-18 Sup Forumstard

this image is cringeworthy, I hope you don't really use this seriously at all

well krautrock is an integral link to rock but if i say "fuck rock", i dont mean fuck krautrock
fuck you

not an argument

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I actually got you mad because I can tell you're a kid.

You'll grow up one day.
Huh still dodging the question huh?

See this proves what a fucking moron you are. Krautrock came from Rock. African drum music LED to Hip Hop

Go back to Sup Forums, we don't want uneducated fucks like you.

>there is no question in this chain of posts
See >Hip Hop is literally anti-intellectual music
By question, I mean address this point. You haven't.

>By question, I mean address this point.
To say it's anti-intellectual is to say "I haven't listened to any intellectual hip hop" which is to say "I haven't heard any instrumental hip hop, dance music, or even Rap outside of Sup Forumscore."

If you don't care about Kid Koala, milo, Uncommon NASA, The Orb, etc. that's fine. But don't think when we call you a fucking moron that it isn't spot on.

>African drum music LED to Hip Hop
Hip hop is a stylistic culture, not a musical genre. Rap is the musical genre encompassed under the hip hop genre.
And rap didn't only take influence from african drum, but also from Scottish pub traditions that were passed on via slave ships:
telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3998862/Rap-music-originated-in-medieval-Scottish-pubs-claims-American-professor.html

If you are going to tell off Sup Forums kids in the name of Sup Forums, at least do so without shaming Sup Forums through your lack of education.

Thanks for the outdated aesthetics lesson but video games are not art. Sorry, that is just not the place the occupy culturally.

>To say it's anti-intellectual is to say "I haven't listened to any intellectual hip hop" which is to say "I haven't heard any instrumental hip hop, dance music, or even Rap outside of Sup Forumscore."
I alreday addressed that. I have listened to both things you asked.

None of it is intellectual, and you have yet to prove otherwise without circular logic.
>If you don't care about
What I care about is not relevant.

He's objectively correct

yeah vthavt was ´prevtvty moronic
levts ´pbuvt ivt vthis way
rock originavted from blues
if i say "fbuck rock", i donvt mean "fbuck blbues"

fucking hell man i dont hate african drum music or anything like that i just hate the commercial, dumbed down approach to hip hop itself

What Kid Koala, milo, and The Orb have you listened to?
What did you think of Dr Yen Lo's release last year?

yeah that was pretty moronic
lets put it this way
rock originated from blues
if i say "fuck rock", i dont mean "fuck blues"

fucking hell man i dont hate african drum music or anything like that i just hate the commercial, dumbed down approach to hip hop itself

srry, keyboard is busted

You're also an uneducated moron.

>What _____________ have you listened to?
See Address the issue of how dance music is intellectual?

No, that didn't answer my question.

That's because your question is not relevant.

>Address the issue of how dance music is intellectual?
How is it not? Tell me, how old are you? Are you from Sup Forums?

>How is it not?
Is parting/dancing an intellectual pursuit? Or is it inherently hedonistic?

It is relevant: if your only exposure is the vapid surface level then your opinion is irrelevant.
Kindly explain your thoughts on Yen Lo and milo

SMB, rap, pop and the like is art. However, most of it is bad art. Whether one appreciates bad art or not is up the observer. Art is supposed to capture the essence of good and beautiful things.

With music, its supposed to capture the essence of human emotion (this is in really simple terms, hold it loosely because its much more complicated than that).

with visual art, its supposed to capture the essence of the thing depicted in the mind.

highly marketed products of craft (artifices) are indeed art. so most video games, radio-pop and the like are bad inquiries of reality, and have a more bodily appeal (like testosterone/estrogen/adrenaline-stimulating or whatever) than a soul-fulfilling appeal.

this statement is untrue

I don't know, you should ask Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. I hear they wrote quite a lot of dance music from explicit dance suites, divertimenti, and scherzos.

>It is relevant: if your only exposure is the vapid surface level then your opinion is irrelevant.
See >Kindly explain your thoughts on Yen Lo and milo
It's not intellectual, if that's what you mean
>I don't know
Not shit. Thanks for the discussion.

scaruffi.com/phi/syn175.html

Look at this anti-intellectual music!
youtube.com/watch?v=hXBmygI-N3M
Oh, so you're b8ing? Let me know when you'll address the fact that you're saying Bach and Mozart are not intellectual.

I think Mondrian has a huge merit in art. In this painting he reduces all reality to just three colors and square shapes.
It may look easy to make, but it took centuries for artists to stop being so goddamn academic and perfectionists in representing reality.
As of Halo (or whatever that game is), I think it doesn't have as much artistic value. Of course it takes a lot of effort to make a videogame, but they're not as rich as a film, as a painting or a book.
>Lower cinematography values. Film has never been about telling a story, people that say this are hacks.
>No literature or painting magic

At most, you could consider its music and mayyyybe the story as art, but it doesn't come close to being as perfect as it is other art mediums.

>With music, its supposed to capture the essence of human emotion
I bet you think "sad guy whining about love over an acoustic guitar" is the pinnacle of music.

More anti-intellectual dance music!
youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7uQgQcO6o

>Let me know when you'll address the fact that you're saying Bach and Mozart are not intellectual.
Not the argument

Nice misdirection

also, thats not to say that highly marketed products of craft are bad simply because theyre highly marketed. sometimes theyre really fucking good. skyrim, for example, is an awesome game and arguably has some artistic merit.

>art
Spooks! All of it!

it's not "a mix of" those things at all though. it may contain some of those things, but it's fundamentally a completely different, interactive thing.

See your post here Followed by my post here: Is Bach anti-intellectual?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>skyrim, for example, is an awesome game and arguably has some artistic merit.
jesus christ spotted the teenager

Isn't a video game just a piece worked on by writers, musicians, and virtual sculptors? Don't really like video games, but anyone can see it's a collaboration between different artists.

>implying sadness/happiness is the only significant emotion.

i dont think that in the slightest.
like i said, its much more complicated than what i said. i do like elliott smith though, he's not the pinnacle of music

scaruffi actually really likes the work of jonathan blow.

>in august 2008 San Francisco-based game designer Jonathan Blow released "Braid", a videogame for Microsoft's Xbox. The concept was completely different. Blow focused on his own aesthetic values, on sophisticated scripting and subtle psychology. Blow conceived the videogame as an art (not "art" as in "craft" but "art" as in "Michelangelo" and "Van Gogh"). He then invested the profits into producing an even more "artistic" game, "The Witness"

haven't heard him say much about any other 'art games', though, either because he doesn't know about them, or because he thought they were shit.

>I don't like (genre)
>THAT'S JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T HEARD (artist I like), (artist I like), (artist I like)
End yourself

this would mean that like 95 percent of the albums Sup Forums talks about regularly aren't art

LUSTY ITALIAN ATTITUDES

>I don't like genre because I've only heard popular artists
>Have you heard any unpopular artists like these?
>NO I HAVEN'T STOPPED POINTING THAT OUT

yeah I remember the aggressive marketing and parties around Loveless, Spiderland, Tago Mago, and Trout Mask Replica

the question is whether games /themselves/ can be art, not whether they can contain art in the form of their assets, which nobody is disputing.

unless you think the pinnacle of the medium is just interactive art gallerys and theaters to display other, better art, from other, better mediums.