youtube.com/watch?v=Iat6r5jVS0A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

F++

that's a whole note m8

you wot

F check out these dubs sharp

rhytmically yes, but im talking pitch-relative

A#Infinity

from what I understand you would call it by the accidental, so either F double-sharp or G half-flat.

sharp and a half

Not double sharp, it has to do with quarters since its eastern music notation

or three quarter sharp

OP here, its definitely F three quarter sharp

ah shit you're right I just got mixed up. just use sharp and a half even though it sounds weird

and you're left with a microinterval in between G

aren't you?

who are you OP?

I am a student learning music theory

a retarded ass meme note that you should just ignore.

>microtonality
>meme music
its quite an interesting concept for any composer desu

youtu.be/edy2QlP_jaU

just in case...

Idk. I just call it the quarter tone between F#/Gb and G. That's what I always call anything that deals with smaller tones. Is there an actual formal theoretical term for this?

microtonal general?
youtube.com/watch?v=Iat6r5jVS0A

see

FULL EXPLANATION TO YOU
EXPLANATION TO WHY WE USE 12 TONES:

we use it because of some rules we decided to follow when deciding what tones we would use..

But first let me explain something:
Sound is represented by frequencies, those are positive numbers. Humans can listen to frequencies between 20hz and 20000 hz.
The amount of frequencies are infinite (even between 20 and 20000) and most instruments like piano cant play all tones, (some like violin and trombone can but they are exception) so you WILL need to select what notes you will want to play on the instrument.

So how we select what tones we want to include/have?

They selected based on those rules:
1-To each frequency on a "piano note" (or equivalent on another instrument) you will have "piano note" with a frequency of 2x. The idea is that we dont just play one piano note at the same time and a frequency X played at the same time as a frequency of 2x is considered to sounds good.

2-The frequencies increase by 1.5, so a frequency must be 1.5 times the previous frequency.

As you see both rules aren't compatible.
To try to fix this problem(as 1.5 * 1.5 is not 2 but higher than that), they decided to add a third rule and skip the second for a moment,
3- (Note frequency) / (previous note frequency) = X The value of X must always be the same.

Since we still want to follow rule 1, we now discovered some formula to find the frequencies we want, the formula 1

frequency = A*2^(N/B)
B= is the amount of notes we will have between the note X and the note with the value of 2X (including the note X)
N=is the note itself that you want to find its frequency
will explain A latter

But what is the value of B?
To select the value of B this formula was used
( (3/2)^B ) divided by 2 until we get a number between 1 and 2 = X
select B where the value will be the closest one to X

>Why use this formula?
The idea is to get in the end, something that will be closer to the rule 2 I said before, by following this formula, you will have a freequency that is almost 1.5 times some other frequency, it wont be next note and the value wont be EXACTLY 1.5 but it will be there and the value will be close.

>ok I am not good at math or I dont want to make the math now, what is the value of B?
First we must talk about 2 more rules that are needed.
4- The usual piano will not have all notes between 20 and 20000
this happens because of the way the piano works and notes very close to 20000 lose quality and sound shity on piano

5-the piano cant have an extreme amount of keys.

Based on that, the value B found on the previous formula was 12.
The value of 53 (the first value higher than 12 that would better fit on the rules) would lead to an extreme amount of keys on piano.

So with B = 12 we have this formula to find the frequency of notes

frequency = A*2^(N/12)

but we still need to find the value of A

People used their own values for a long time, and at early 1900 they decided to follow a standard.
A group of guys were called and selected the frequency of 439 hz as the value of A, more specifically the note called A4 will have the value of 439z
Instrument makers were having a hard time to make instruments with A4=439hz this because because of the tech of the era and because 439 is prime and etc..

So they changed the value to 440hz

In the end the formula became
frequency = 440*2^(N/12)
with N being 0 when the note is A4

you still didnt answer my question

is english your first language?

like Sonic Youth when they detune?

There isn't much consensus when it comes to microtonal notation but generally I think you just use fractions of a sharp/flat. For example eighth sharp, quarter sharp, half sharp

Also I know that in terms of naming intervals, when an interval is half way between minor and major it is called neutral. Neutral second, third, sixth and seventh

Looking this up. Shouldn't there be two notes next to each other and a natural accidental next to the sharp one? Is the OP notation written wrong?

the OP notation is from wikipedia

wouldn't that imply it's three quarters of the way between F and F#? Shouldn't it be sharp and a quarter if it's between F# and G?

f sharper

>wouldn't that imply it's three quarters of the way between F and F#?
no cause F# is F double quarter sharp

>like Sonic Youth when they detune?
Those rules I said are used by more than 99.99% of musicians.

Some don't even know that the frequencies on their instruments were selected because of some rules.

Some may not care about perfect fifth, I as some example prefer 9/8 than 3/2.
Using 9/8 in the place of rule 2, I talked about give 6 tones equal temperament as best amount of tones

Weird cuz the actual page for sharps shows it differently.

but double quarter sharp only equals half a sharp? isn't F# F whole sharp? I don't get it kek