Hey Sup Forums...

Hey Sup Forums, just wanted to remind you that prog sucks butt and David Johansen has more talent in one pinky than the complete combined works of Roger Waters, Geddy Lee, and Peter Gabriel.

That is all.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't think of a single person who would actually be sad about this hacks death.

My rating for this thread

>Black Sabbath [Warner Bros., 1970]

All the worst excesses of the counterculture on a plastic platter--drug impaired reaction times, lengthy solos, bullshit necromancy. They claim to oppose war, but if I don't believe in loving my enemies then I don't believe in loving my allies either and I've been worried that something like this would happen ever since I first saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper. C-"

He did defend disco when most rockists were stomping their feet in a fit of rage over it, so good for him.

>Californication [Warner Bros., 1999]

New Age fuck fiends ("Purple Stain", "Scar Tissue") **

Screw you. Bob. That album was mine and a lot of people's childhoods.

I would be sad, the only good critic and he's an individual so you can't expect to agree with him on everything

>74 years old
He'll be fine.

he's better than pedo scaruffi

How the fuck does this old fart give Nevermind an A and ITCOTCK a D+?

i guess when you're reviewing an album you're not really concerned with what the 8 year olds of the world think of it

"To a lot of people, metal is the new rock-and-roll. It's edgy, dangerous, kids love it, and parents hate it. But a quick look reveals the many flaws in this argument. Metal mistakes reactionary nobility as revolutionary values. The dreams it promotes are false and ultimately destructive. Its audience is 85% white and male."

>In the Court of the Crimson King [Atlantic, 1969]

The plus is because Peter Townshend likes it. This can also be said of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Beware the forthcoming hype--this is ersatz shit. D+

Christgau is just poptimist Scaruffi

Lester Bangs was 10x the critic Christgau is. Why is the latter still breathing while Lester departed this mortal plane before 90% of Sup Forums was alive?

+ is because Pete Townshend likes it.

>Borat: Original Soundtrack
>3.5*

Laughing way more than I should be

user, that's mean. I would be sad :(

Bangs was ok, but damn could he ever be verbose. Unlike Christgau's one-sentence insul...I mean reviews, Bangs often wrote an entire graduate thesis on the album he was reviewing. Also Bangs's alt-right politics don't necessarily appeal to me mostly because of the alt-right cancer on Sup Forums.

What even is alt right politics anyway? It's a meme I keep hearing but have no fuggin' clue what it actually means.

>le alt-right is cancer
>i can't properly describe and define what that term even means

they actually look like they could be brothers.

Alt right is basically Randian libertarianism which translates into "I hate SJWs and gommies, but I also hate religionfags they're all statist Nazis lemme go be a degenerate if I want."

Robert Crumb is the classic alt rightist, so was Lemmy Kilmister.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

Holy god, this literally reads like it was written by Tumblr.

It's like fascism with memes and anime

But then really, every normal human being is a libertarian, be they left or right. Because nobody actually wants statism/fascism except people in government like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Even most of the Tumblr crowd are libertarians and don't know it.

Libertarian has become synonymous with Ayn Rand worshipping, fedora wearing vapers who gag for the cock of corporatism. Actual libertarianism is leftist, and is very closely linked to communism and anarchism.

>communism
>libertarian
Where to begin explaining what's wrong with this...

Anarchists and communists really don't get along with each other.

soviet state capitalism is not communism

yeah i know but philosophers from both sides came to libertarian ideals before Ayn Rand stepped in and molested the word

There were anarchist organizations in the Soviet Union in the early years until Stalin purged all of them.

>soviet state capitalism is not communism
Anarcho-communism is a fairy tale that does not and will never exist.

How does one not love Chrstgau?

G N' R Lies [Geffen, 1988]
Axl's voice is a power tool with attachments, Slash's guitar a hype, the groove potent "hard rock," and the songwriting not without its virtues. So figure musical quality at around C plus and take the grade as a call to boycott, a reminder to clean livers who yearn for the wild side that the necessary link between sex-and-drugs and rock-and-roll is a Hollywood fantasy. Anyway, this band isn't even sex and drugs--it's dicking her ass before you smack up with her hatpin. (No wonder they want to do an AIDS benefit.) "One in a Million"--"Immigrants and faggots/They make no sense to me/They come to our country/And think they'll do as they please/Like start some mini-Iran/Or spread some fucking disease/They talk so many goddamn ways/It's all Greek to me"--is disgusting because it's heartfelt and disgusting again because it's a grandstand play. It gives away the "joke" (to quote the chickenshit "apologies" on the cover) about the offed girlfriend the way "Turn around bitch I've got a use for you" gives away "Sweet Child o' Mine." Back when they hit the racks, these posers talked a lot of guff about suicide. I'm still betting they don't have it in them to jump. E

"Admittedly I preferred the knee-jerk sexism of Use Your Illusion I to the asshole existentialism of Use Your Illusion II. James Hetfield was put out of his misery in under 5 plays. Life is too short and I felt it getting shorter with each track."

No ideology will ever be put into practice with utopian results.

You even see this with capitalism. Shills will tell you what we have at the moment is "crony capitalism".

"his favorite rock album is either The Clash (1977) or New York Dolls (1973), while his favorite record in general was Monk's 1958 Misterioso"

pretty based desu

Romilar

>Chinese Democracy [Geffen, 2008]

Story of the year--notorious rock recluse spends 10 years and a large chunk of his ill-gotten fortune creating the perfect album. Succeeds on his own irrelevant terms. Since he can no longer lead young white males astray, the effort is noble in a way, almost touching. Didn't think he had it in him. B+

>tfw occupied this mortal plane for two years along with based les

In one of his columns from the early 80s, Christgau commented that a lot of his 60s peers were disappointed and losing their appetite for current music. Bangs, who was younger than Christgau by some years, was not immune to it. Shortly before his death, he was also bemoaning that the music out in 1981-ish just didn't move him like the Beatles did. So he was well on the road perhaps to becoming a crotchety old man, but death spared him that fate.

>Undercover [Rolling Stones, 1983]

What do people hear in this murky, overblown, incoherent piece of shit? True, they still slip naturally into the kind of vernacular specificity other bands strive for; despite the wind-tunnel mix Keith still sounds like the incorrigible genius-by-accident he is, nothing stops Charlie, and Mick's Texas chainsaw monologue is a scream. Also, two of the songs have political themes, which I guess is supposed to fill me with gratitude. But I'm such a churl I'm only grateful for good songs, and these are as tired and witless and nasty as the rest. Their worst studio album. C+

Key to getting Christgau's approval, make music that is:

left wing
catchy
loud
upbeat

you're now well on you're way to an A rating.

Also being from NYC is a plus.

Must have killed him to learn that some of the Ramones were Republicans.

>Boys Don't Cry [Fiction, 1980]

The sound is dry post-punk with elements of spare, arty witticism. Never pretty, it's nevertheless treated with a proper mnemonic pop overlay. Scan its 13 songs and you'll recall a phrase from all but 2-3 of them. Intelligent phrases they are too. But what are we to make of a band whose best song is an excerpt from Camus's The Stranger, a book that was holy writ for collegiate existentialists since before Robert Smith was born. And do we really need collegiate existentialism nostalgia? B

>James Hetfield was put out of his misery in under 5 plays. Life is too short and I felt it getting shorter with each track

2deep4u

god is dead

>Nevermind [Geffen, 1991]

For years, the Seattle scene produced noise fragments that occasionally achieved song form on singles no normal person ever heard, until now. This is what hard rock was generally understood to be before metal moved in. They all make it seem so simple too, and the worst part is that the lesson will all be forgotten again in a few years. A"

Christgau is a pleb, this is not news.

>Nobody's Daughter [Mercury, 2010]

Most people don't like her, and actually, I don't either. So I can't claim you owe it to yourself to enjoy Courtney Love's much-delayed first-album-since-2004. Nor even that these songs cast a revealing light of her scabrous persona--beyond "Pacific Coast Highway" ("I'm overwhelmed and undersexed") and "Never Go Hungry" ("I don't care what I have to pretend"), they're typical wails of punk-schooled rage from "Skinny Little Bitch" to "Letter to God." Thing is, I can use some new punk rage in my life, and unless you're a fan of Goldman Sachs and BP Petroleum, so can you. What's more, better it come from a 45-year-old woman who knows how to throw her weight around than from the zitty newbies and tattooed road dogs who churn most of it out these days. I know--for her, BP Petroleum is just something else to pretend about. But the emotion fueling her pretense is cathartic nevertheless. A-

Nah, he's not a good critic. He ignores/pans entire genres of music, and his writing style is terrible to boot. If I wanna read entertaining music criticism, I'll stick with Lester Bangs. And if I want some new recs, I'll check out Scaruffi's genre lists (though his reviews aren't much better than Christgau's).

Of course Bangs didn't live to be able to review Soulja Boy. ;)

>this one guy spamming Lester Bangs
No one cares mate

Nobody's Daughter sounded like a bunch of unused Avril Lavigne songs.

t. someone who has never read Rand

Ayn Rand was just Nietzsche 2.0 anyway.

>slapping a bomb or scissors on an album without even bothering to explain why you don't like it

>Saved [Columbia, 1980]

In case you were wondering, Slow Train Coming wasn't Jerry Wexler's album, or the former R. Zimmerman's, or Jesus Christ's. It was Mark Knopfler's. Anyway, the first flash of faith is the deepest. May Bobby never indenture soul sisters again. C+