Xiu Xiu - Music for House Plants
Ted Hearne - Outlanders
Brötzmann/Uuskyla - A Crack to Beauty
AKMU - Spring Vol. 1
Guitar Wolf - チラノザウルス四畳半 T-Rex from a Tiny Space Yojouhan
Gareth Davis & Merzbow - Atsusaku
Kettel - Wingtip
Minor Victories - Minor Victories
Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke & Oren Ambarchi - I Wonder If You Noticed "I'm Sorry" Is Such a Lovely Sound It Keeps Things From Getting Worse
Akira Sakata / Johan Berthling / Paal Nilssen-Love - Semikujira
Metá Metá - MM3
The Hotelier - Goodness
Swans - The Glowing Man
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Massive Attack - Ritual Spirit
Seiko Oomori - Tokyo Black Hole

What should I listen to next?

Other urls found in this thread:

residentadvisor.net/features/2756
mediafire.com/folder/eu9e4dcfxbb9p/Boris_With_Merzbow_-_現象_-Gensho-_(5.1_Version)
rateyourmusic.com/board_message?message_id=6347232
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what are the albums on that chart

can you list them

>tfw HHH deleted the album stream on his sc

Deux filles - Space & Time
The Gerogerigegege - Moenai Hai
BLACKHANDPATH - Egregore
Acid Guru Pond - Acid Guru Pond
Five Star Hotel - Body Absolution
Félicia Atkinson + Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Comme un seul narcisse
Ambersmoke - The Great Nothing
Oren Ambarchi, Stefano Pilia & Massimo Pupillo - Aithein
dreamcrusher - Quid pro quo
Celer - Akagi
Dal Niente/Deerhoof - Balter/Saunier
Porridge Radio/West America - Hello Dog Friendly
David Bowie -
Mats Gustafsson - This Is from the Mouth
dälek - Asphalt for Eden
Oranssi Pazuzu - Varahtelija
Roly Porter - Third Law
Matmos - Ultimate Care II
Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Hijokaidan × Jun Togawa - 戸川階段
Matt Elliott - The Calm Before
Venetian Snares - Traditional Synthesizer Music
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Xiu Xiu - Plays the Music of Twin Peaks
Andrew Bird - Are You Serious
Mothers - When You Walk a Long Distance You Are Tired
Mary Lattimore - At the Dam
Marching Church - Coming Down: Sessions in April
Sarah Neufeld - The Ridge
Vale - Distortion Hymns
Savage Sister - Speechless
tricot - Kabuku EP
Man Bites Dog - Entertaining the World
Brian Eno - The Ship
Amnesia Scanner & Bill Kouligas - LEXACHAST
Bachelor Paradise - Drink Lots of Water & Be Nice to Yourself
Surgeon - From Farthest Known Objects
Clouds - Timeslip Roadmender
New Dreams Ltd. - Sleepline
Kikagaku Moyo - House in the Tall Grass
Sioux Falls - Rot Forever

thanks

This is aotysf

ok

Did At the Dam come out this year? It feels longer ago than that.

Good choice in any case

wait what

what's the most fun album this year so far?

PW is fun, but most of the releases I've heard this year have been more serious

Yeah, only a few months ago. Maybe it leaked a lot earlier or something.

ok

>fun
Trust me, dude, you don't want anything to do with that.

>ok
consider my previous thanks retracted

fuck yourself my dude

ok

calling the cops

How the fuck do you have so many favorites / AOTYs from a single year? Most of those aren't even worth listing...

You have really low standards, dude

>he thinks 42 is a lot
lmao embryo detected

yeah the guy likes something fuck him what an asshole how dare he. post yours or leave
ok

>he thinks 42 isn't a lot
lmao +20 year old virgin loser detected

what does mummy think about you spending all you gbp on shitty meme music?

>he pays for music
This is embarrassing.

dude seriously stop

stop saying "ok"

42 best albums of the year at half of the year is indeed a lot.

>implying
i made the logical assumption that someone that listens to that much music surely makes the occasional purchase, digital or physical

you're setting yourself up my man just stop replying ok?

I have a radio show so like it's kind of my job.

Think again, kiddo.

>he has a radio show
>all of this so he can adequately entertain the 5 people that tune in weekly
lmao it gets better and better roflmao

>he's too stupid to reply properly
lmao it gets better and better roflmao

>so btfo that he has to resort to 'xd u made a typo' responses
roflmao is just doesn't stop lmao

>btfo
all you've done is point out that i listen to music lmbo

I was asking because I was curious and I think you didn't understand me.

What I meant is that why you post 42 albums as candidate of the best of the year, that's what seems exaggerated. Not that you've listened to 42.

Usually AOTY there's only a few, that's what I meant.

I was just curious, no hard feelings (also not that dude who doesn't stop lmaoing)

>that i listen to music
that it's your "job" to listen to shitty meme music to appease your weekly audience of 5 people lmao

that you're a +20 year old loser virgin who thinks a radio show for meme tunes is a job roflmao

that you're too stupid to realize when you've been absolutely curb-stomped and that i've had you on strings this entire time, you filth roach lmao

kekekekek

They're not all candidates. They're just the top 42 of the year so far. The chart is in order of what I liked most to least (left to right, top to bottom). If we're going by personal candidates, Space & Time already won it for me.

Mine from a few days ago (a few new ones not included)

What about some discussion?

Love Streams was such a let down... really shitty desu (and i'm a major Hecker fanboy).
Painting With was nice but really weak desu
Elseq is just too long, should've selected a few tracks only. And it's a shame because otherwise it'd have been great probably.
I was hoping for a Xiu Xiu in their old style but Jamie keeps doing this shitty avant-garde spree...

; _ ; lots of letdowns desu

I've heard most of these but anyways I'll ask, any rec based on my top 6?
I have a hard time finding good records from this year... contemporary music is lacking a lot of innovation desu

Maybe the Beat Detectives Mix and the Dedekind Cut mix. I'm not huge into swans, and Fire! is meh for me. There are a few things on Rune Grammophon, but I didn't rate them high, personally.

I think you'd like Moenai Hai, Aithein, and Varahtelija especially. Also check out Melt by Brian Chippendale, Mats Gustafsson, and Massimo Pupillo. I didn't like it too much but you might. Also if you want something outside of this year check out Trondheim Jazz Orchestra & Kobert.

is elseq too long if you view it as 5 different albums/eps tho?

kill yourself plz

Are they just mixes or...? Sorry, totally ignorant of those two you mentioned.

Swans was pretty good (I hated TBK last year). Fire! has some great stuff but I agree that this year's release is pretty average but nonetheless pretty good as far as their style goes.

I rated them because they are the ones I liked best from this year... not many good records imo

Haven't heard any, will look into them.
Melt was pretty good but nothing too special imo. Gustafsson's solo was really great, though.
I love Trondheim JO, man! Spot on haha. Thanks.
Yep, because they are all released in the same year... idk it feels like they didn't think twice and just released all they did during the year.
I don't really like when artists do that, personally.

>Félicia Atkinson + Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Comme un seul narcisse
Nice
Jason Crummer's latest is my aoty

forgot to mention that this is the album i'm feeling most atm

it's all strong material tho (their best in years), imo. maybe 2-3 weak cuts of the 21. i don't have an issue with artists releasing loads of material as long as it's consistent and thought out and not just half-assed filler.

plus i think the idea of playing with the fluidity of how we perceive albums or certain formats is interesting, especially since the artists themselves don't have their own intention behind it. pretty innovative in that regard, and imo it's odd that that facet hasn't been discussed much.

>playing with the fluidity of how we perceive albums or certain formats is interesting, especially since the artists themselves don't have their own intention behind it
can you explain? i'm interested in this idea

if you have the the time (or interest) then i recommend that you read this interview that just came out - it's really fantastic and in-depth

residentadvisor.net/features/2756

pretty much the gist is that they wanted to make something that's not constrained by any sort of physical format - not being concerned with editing themselves or track-lengths or worrying about "breaking the flow" and what-not. they feel that sometimes artists get so fixed on creating the "perfect album" that it can limit creativity and the need to take risks for fear of marring the "album experience."

basically they put out this 4-hour, 5-disc (well not really since it's digital only) monster and have no desire to define it as anything.

So cordial. I love it.

Hm, I kind of see what you meant but still not sure I got it.
Your interpretation of it sounds much more interesting, that's why I was asking. Thanks anyway for the interview and all. Well damn true that it's innovative if they aimed to free the artist from any formal constraint (not that that's much worth but I appreciate the intention)

Here are my favorites so far.

hope i am not 2 late 2 tha partee :^)

I have that Boris/Merzbow thing downloaded but I haven't listened. Did you just use two separate music players to synch it up?

There was a link for the two of them synched up together in the comments on What. let me find it for you.

I thought it was a good collab. It breathed some new life into those songs and was a different take on them. I would like to play the two discs myself some time to adjust the volume as they direct you to do.

You can also do the in hear headphones from an mp3 player playing one disc, with over ear headphones on top of them playing the other to achieve the same effect.

mediafire.com/folder/eu9e4dcfxbb9p/Boris_With_Merzbow_-_現象_-Gensho-_(5.1_Version)

ha, i appreciate that but it's not really my interpretation - i'm just going off what they've said (tho maybe i dressed it up a little lol). tbqh i'm actually surprised it took them this long to fully commit to this direction, as they were certainly teasing it with that quadrange ep back in 2008.

it's a very disorienting and immense release and it definitely won't appeal to everyone and i understand how it could be seen as a failed experiment. i guess i'm just thankful that they ARE still experimenting 25+ years into their career - especially with the medium. also fascinating to see how people frame elseq considering how muddy it's classification is - the posters on rym certainly don't know how to handle it, lol:

rateyourmusic.com/board_message?message_id=6347232

Awesome, thank you for this! I've hated seeing those files sitting in my downloads and not knowing what to do with them.

Damn, that discussion seems so troubled. I wonder why people take their ratings so seriously though.

If Ae thought of it as a piece but fragmented it in 5 parts, I'd treat it the same way, simple as that.

I have yet to listen to it btw, I just kind of complained that it was so lenghty just because I love Ae and I was afraid they packed it with filler :(
The concept alone is really good (thanks for that little illumination!) and if you say it's cohesive... i'll take your word for it and see for myself

yeah, they don't play over at rym, but the issue just seems so contrived...

I'd recommend just spending time with each elseq and taking it slow - listening to it all in one sitting can be overwhelming. 2 is a little weak apart from the first track, but the rest is surprisingly consistent. there's even a really neat drone track that's reminiscent of sunn o))) or earth on 3. anyway I hope you like but I can understand how it might be seen as too much so don't sweat it!

yeah, the plan was the same I always implement with these kind of boxsets. This time treating each "disc" as an album of their own, then moving to the next one when I think I've absorbed the first one and so on.

Ae doing my fave genre? Fuck, now i'm more hyped.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll let you know how it goes if I ever see you again around here