Music these days is such crap

I don't like contemporary pop. Or pretty much anything on the 2016 top 100 list.

It sounds like something straight off the warp drive of a spaceship, and that isn't a compliment, I mean it sounds like noise.

A remixed garbage disposal with people saying nonsense words or slanting the words to rhyme SO hard, that it doesn't sound at all what it was supposed to.

It's butchery of the English language. And call me an old timer but I prefer classic rock.

Maybe it's something you've heard a million times. But at least it sounds like fucking music, and not some ayy lmao shit 2016 I'm so cool and edgy.

Oh what's that, you want proof? Take a listen to this shit,

youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA

What in the unholy fuck is Rihanna even saying?

All I can make out is like "Show me how you work work work work work" and then she just starts babbling unintelligible gibberish.

Other urls found in this thread:

romper.com/p/what-do-rihannas-work-lyrics-mean-the-single-is-pretty-relatable-4633
robertchristgau.com/xg/bb/derulo-14.php
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=aretha franklin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is this thread bait?

follow this chart

this is what happens when you don't start with the greeks

>Tfw the greatest music ever was made 50+ years ago.

what did he mean by this?

>t. pleb/shitposter of the highest order

The funny thing about this chart is that it's mostly garbage, most of the good albums listed here are by Gen X holdovers from the 90s. Almost all the garbage listed (starting from around 2005 on) is Millennials bad music.

>it sounds like noise
What's wrong with noise music faggot?

What are your grievances with which albums specifically?

My washing machine preformed a noise album last night. Hipsters all lined up at my door offering it blowjobs if it would only confirm their higher standing in some imagined social hierarchy where their ideas and opinions actually mattered. My washing machine just ignored them though, like the true hipster it was.

Nice story fag

You should only be listening to music for the melody not nit picking the content

How does a lot of the stuff on RYM's best of 2016 list sound like noise? Maybe if you're only used to listened to generic beer commercial lead guitar but there's a lot of pretty soft stuff on that chart too.

He's right you know. Popular music hasn't been good since around the late 80s..

>top 100 list
well there's your problem

>It's butchery of the English language

Oh, we're actually pretending that Feist is the modern equivalent of Aretha Franklin and the National are the modern equivalent the Rolling Stones now?

I'm laughing even though it isn't really funny how delusional you kids truly are.

It takes 20 years to find out what current artists were good and who sucked. A lot of artists who sold a huge fuckton of records in their day are now regarded as a laughingstock.

You think the average white suburban teenager in 1978 was listening to the Ramones and the Clash? Hell fucking no, their albums sold about 50 copies and didn't get played on the radio. Try Kiss and REO Speedwagon instead. Vintage punk has more fans today than when it was new (!)

>we're actually pretending that Feist is the modern equivalent of Aretha Franklin and the National are the modern equivalent the Rolling Stones now

I think the only one doing that is you. But feel free to point out where on that chart Rolling Stones or Aretha Franklin are mentioned. I'll hang back and let your red-faced foolishness subside.

>Feist is a talented singer equal to the singers from previous generations
>The National is a rock band equal to the rock bands from previous generations

You can't defend this position because you know you'd be laughed out of the room so you decided to focus your reply on me instead of the actual argument at hand. I saw it coming from a mile away.

>Feist is a talented singer equal to the singers from previous generations

Said who? Who are you actually quoting here? Certainly not me, and not the chart. It's like you're shooting at Indians in the trees man.

>The National is a rock band equal to the rock bands from previous generations

I actually agree with you. The National is whatever as fuck.

>You can't defend this position

Defend? You haven't even answered my first question.

>What are your grievances with which albums specifically?

If you're answering only Feist and The National, that leaves the other 54 albums.

I WANNA RIDE MY BICYCLE
I WANNA RIDE MY BICYCLE
I WANNA RIDE MY BICYCLE
I WANNA RIDE MY BICYCLE
I WANNA RIDE MY BICYCLE

romper.com/p/what-do-rihannas-work-lyrics-mean-the-single-is-pretty-relatable-4633

The lyrics to Work are admittedly a little bit on the opaque side.

>eerrrr... u-um.... hipster!
Nice

"Admittedly a lot of my generational peers have become disillusioned with the current (1980) state of music. As for myself, I really would hope not to let my turntable to go to seed or instead just wear out multiple copies of The Who Sell Out."

cherry picking at its finest

how to destroy this argument:
well what does this say about YOU as a people then? since the common vernacular now for this generation includes berading modern music, why is it it still so popular? why is it on the charts?

it's because you're a fucking tool. same reason why musically inclined, avid fans of classical listened to actually complex work that wasnt pop garbage like queen or the beatles. because music is becoming more connotative, not qualitative, and this is NOT intrinsically bad. it's why pop shit like avenged sevenfold, 21 pilots, radiohead, etc. can make genuinely decent music, despite not offering much. this argument is trash. regardless whether or not this is bait, it's gotta go.

>Said who?
The chart is supposed to be showing "Dadrockers" how modern music isn't shit and it's supposed to be giving examples of that. It then proceeds to name shit like Fiest as an example of someone who can "sing" "without the aid of auto tune" like previous generations of singers did, making Feist the modern equivalent of singers like Aretha Franklin or Patti LaBelle, which .....lol... is absolutely ridiculous.

And if you think I'm going to sit here and spoon feed you all the reasons why that chart is wrong you're mistaken, I've wasted enough time replying to your stupidity as it is.

>it's why pop shit like avenged sevenfold, 21 pilots, radiohead, etc. can make genuinely decent music
Hello bait

this chart needs an update

wrong, the best album ever was released only 14 years ago

you're just a bitch for thinking that Feist is better than Aretha Franklin

Odd alternate cover for Spiderland user. And your math is completely off

So you actually cannot point to me where the words Aretha Franklin, and now Patti LaBelle, are on the chart. Okay.

>And if you think I'm going to sit here and spoon feed you all the reasons why that chart is wrong you're mistaken, I've wasted enough time replying to your stupidity as it is.

You sure have wasted your time. You've been nothing but red-faced and flapping your fingers saying absolutely nothing worth discussing when we COULD have actually been discussing interesting things. Sayonara man.

Why are you comparing feist to black singers

What the fuck is wrong with yours and his reading comprehension? Fucking morons incapable of any worthwhile discussion.

It is so gay here

Are you saying you think artists like Feist and National are better than Aretha Franklin or Patti LaBelle?

thats fucking delusional man your argument is shit

Enjoy your last (you), tardy.
Because that's what the chart implies.

same, except im probably too old now. everythings the exact same as the stuff i grew up with, except just with a new coat of paint now. so makes sense im not as into it.

robertchristgau.com/xg/bb/derulo-14.php

2014. Whatever else you can say about the man, his sheer stubbornness to stay in the game is something else.

I know

These damn kids with their electronic music and lack of guitar solos.

I thought you were leaving? Sayonara again I guess.

Terrible reading comprehension number three good lord this board is going down the shitter.

>Implies

How?

But you're still in the 10th grade, user.

>implying a grown adult would have that shitty grammar and lack of caps

my math is perfect and spiderland is 8.5/10 at best

we made a new one last year

man this is a cool thread you guys are so cool this is the kind of thread I come here for.

I've been looking for music that sounds like a futuristic engine but that rihanna song isn't doing it for me. I need something more synthy and noiselike, but not so much that it doesn't seem futuristic

Whenever you hear dadrockers like Gene Simmons praise Tame Impala as an example of good modern rock, bite your cheeks and laugh because they just churn out shitty faux 60s-70s blues rock.

>Bjork and Newsom in the singing well category
I like Bjork's voice but a lot of people wouldn't consider that singing well and Newsom's voice is just obnoxious and also probably wouldn't be considered singing well.

Also doesn't Grouper usually have layers and layers of effects on her voice in her albums?

It's saying these are the "modern equivalents" to the singers Dadrockers would have enjoyed in their day which would have been singers like Diana Ross, or maybe later Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, etc.

>attacks the posters intelligence instead of forming a decent argument to back up his autistic claims
>thinks modern music has any hope at all

wow this board sure has gone down the shitter

I don't think it's calling them equivalent as much as giving examples of good singers, user. Saying someone is a good singer doesn't mean you think they're as good or better as whatever random singer you want to bring up from whatever time period you think is being referred to.

>attacks the posters intelligence instead of forming a decent argument to back up his autistic claims

Yes I did because if you read any of my posts you'll see I never wrote anything like:

>Are you saying you think artists like Feist and National are better than Aretha Franklin or Patti LaBelle?

Bjork is an objectively good singer, fuck off.

Maybe her and Newsom are good singers but they probably won't change the mind of anyone like that chart is trying to do and I think they're bad choices.

Swans, PJ Harvey, Aphex twin, etc?
>Gen X holdovers
Thanks for reinforcing my point for me, Millennials apparently can't even argue effectively.
>Saying someone is a good singer doesn't mean you think they're as good or better as whatever random singer you want to bring up from whatever time period you think is being referred to.
>as good
That's exactly what the chart implies, you fucking moron.

I mean, fuck Newsom, but I think Bjork is a pretty killer insert point into modern music, i've gotten a lot of friends into more stuff starting with her.

village idiot alert. suck my kiss

>here's a list of singers today that don't use autotune but still sing well
>WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE PEOPLE ARE AS GOOD AS/BETTER THAN DIANA ROSS FUCK YOU AND YOUR CHART
This is what you are doing

>backtracking this hard
>pretending this badly

just admit it modern music blows compared to greats like Hoagy Carmichael or Crosby Stills Nash and Young

>and Newsom are good singers
on what planet? Muppet World?

I don't want to say she's bad because I'll probably get jumped by waifu fags but regardless of my opinion (which is that I don't like her) I don't think she is a good choice for that portion of the chart.

>sing well
>Fiest
That's hilarious.

I don't even know who that is so I'm not saying she is or isn't a good singer but you're lifting meaning from that chart that isn't there.

Backtracking? Pretending? Am I being had here?

A liberal Muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer trumpetist and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Lil Wayne, known nigger.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Lil and accept that he was the most highly-musical being the world has ever known, even greater than David Gilmour!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had listened to 1500 classic records and understood the necessity of lengthy guitar solos and fully supported all albums released by Metallica stood up and held up a guitar.

”How old is this guitar, pinhead?”

The arrogant trumpetist smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “5-10 years, you stupid metalhead.”

”Wrong. It’s been 1990s years since Brian May created it. If it was 5-10 years old and rap, as you say, is good… then it should be a radio now”

The trumpetist was visibly shaken, and dropped his microphone and copy of Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal nigger-loving tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own turntables) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving rock gods. He wished so much that he had a beat to dance from embarrassment, but the only thing he could hear was a sweet Black Sabbath riff!

The students applauded and all enrolled in guitar class that day and accepted Nikki Sixx as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Purple Haze” flew into the room and perched atop the American flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The lyrics to You've Got Another Thing Coming were read several times, and Angus Young himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The trumpetist lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of AIDS, the gay disease, and was cast into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Is this chart supposed to scare dadrockers back to dadrock?

Listen to Metal. makes life easier and metal is the superior genre that still gets released in large quantity.

classical, blues and jazz are also good, just try stay away from "indie" jazz and blues. keep to the classics.

learn to read dipshit

>using Joanna Newsom to defend modern singers

Holy shit this chart is even worse. There are a lot of great albums on the chart but it's not the kind of shit that's gonna appeal to dadrockers and get them to change their mind about modern music.

You're only able to argue what you're arguing by using perceived objectivity which is just a collection of subjective opinions. Without it, you have no argument. The only "argument" you have made for Franklin basically boils down to she is older and a lot of people think she is good, that's a shit argument, basically a non-argument.

Oh by the way vocal talent does not equate high music quality and you know it, vocal ability is one of the most overrated components of modern music.

robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=aretha franklin

Holy god, does this guy ever dickride Aretha Franklin.

>summery judgements are invalid
tok pek

If you are only gonna use collective subjective consensus to argue your points then discourse is pointless

>he upset because he can't collective subjective consensus to argue his point
looks like you loose as you've now admitted the majority of people think new music is shit validating that viewpoint as the unassailable truth

>actually giving a single shit about pop music
>actually caring about whatever the fuck is in the top 100
why are you even on this board?

Lol see the reason you can't solely base your argument on subjective consensus is because there are more people that would rate Taylor swift and Beyonce over Franklin than the other way around. But since subjective consensus rules over discourse, Taylor swift and Beyonce must shit on Franklin as artists right?

Pop music and the more popular music from different genre streams are for fast and easy consumption by listeners that are driving, shopping, shaking their thing to the 4/4 beat. Movement is put first over actual listening of the music. It's clean, shiny, plastic and nicely packaged inoffensive to the majority of the public.

People that say "just don't listen to it" are also of misunderstanding. It's hard to escape pop music if you work or go into the general public often. A friend of mine calls pop 'work music', because it's on all the time when he works, its pace (a common time signature and tempo that can be matched with a walking or working pace) keeps the workers moving consistently, and it's a chore for him to listen to it. It makes him appreciate his own taste more. It just fills the daily gap of silence and keeps pace.

>Tame Impala
>blues rock

so you listened to Elephant once

Jesus fucking christ talk about getting wrecked.

I'd agree with this, so yes.

This
Although, I would prefer to work in silence sometimes

Anyone ever notice that dadrocker idiots on Steve Hoffman Forums and whatnot act as if Top 40 is all there is of music in 2016?

>not some ayy lmao shit 2016 I'm so cool and edgy.
lmao there is nothing edgy about modern music

my dad irl

Le

You make my head hurt.