/comp/ Composition General

Post your compositions here and get feedback. (Please, I'm begging you.)

Pasta:

An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on art music and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But follow in the footsteps of the classical composers of the 20th century who experimented in electronic music. But remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any art music, such as jazz, is acceptable

Post clyps, and please post accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

>Theory
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
>tl;dr version
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic#

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw [Open]

composer.rowy.net/

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

>Score Preparation Guide
musiciandevelopment.com/2016/05/16/how-to-prepare-a-professional-score/

>Orchestral Preparation Guideline
mola-inc.org/article/Music-Preparation-Guidelines-for-Orchestral-Music.pdf

>Takadimi: A Beat - Oriented System of Rhythm Pedagogy
takadimi.net/documents/TakadimiArticle.pdf

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Musictheory.net - General music theory with accompanying exercises and tests. Great for practice.
musictheory.net/

>Succint but insightful theory up to contemporary techniques such as serialism and set theory
learnmusictheory.net/

And feel free to expand!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kgx2qbft
northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/45270-Welcome-to-the-Garritan-Interactive-PRINCIPLES-OF-ORCHESTRATION-by-Rimsky-Korsakov
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration
clyp.it/hfjpspt2
youtube.com/watch?v=xR-hWde2YsY&feature=youtu.be&t=22s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw power went out yesterday and I was unable to give any feedback to the compositions people posted

C6 - Em7 - Am -Dm7 - G13

I can compose in 3, in 5, in 7, in 11, even (currently) in 19, but for some reason, I just can't compose in 4. Or at least, it always turns out incredibly rhythmically boring.

lol nigga, we complain about shit we don't like and post memes.
none of us have any actual talent.

hey, working on something, gotta fix the drums. would post in prod but i dont like the music posted there. not my thing.
clyp.it/kgx2qbft

can't bump for two hours, so doing so now

This guy gets it
Stop lying to yourself you will never become good composers it's just a waste of your effort

How do you notate harmonics on musescore?

F-7 / Db -7 / B-7/ Ab-7

it has a blues

bA bup

baa bup

but a bit off kilter

it'd start a conversation

till the b section

bup pa da bup pa da bup pa da

ba ba ba bup

bu bup bu bup

bup bup bup

>F-7 / Db -7 / B-7/ Ab-7

playing root 7th 3rd

and then change the Ab-7 to an A13 on the last pass C7#5

then Eb-11 / B7b9

ok let's go and have a look, not great atmospherics out there, and as usual...

Composing is an end in and of itself.

Try harder senpai. Triplets, accentuation and rhythms starting on the te/and/+ of the beat (refer to the rhythm article in the OP), and then you'll get somewhere.

Check out pic related, an excerpt from the "Dances of the Young Girls" movement in Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. It's in 2/4 and it's one of the most famous musical manipulations of rhythm of all time. Accentuation is your friend.

Also, if you don't mind, can you share the 19/x pieces you've made? The score even?

(also god dammit, fixed the post AGAIN WHAT THE FUCK DUDE i'm not even drunk)

Don't take this the wrong way bruv, but it sounds like something off of the F-Zero GX soundtrack

Thanks.

It's hardly even started at this point, so I don't have anything like a score. But it's basically in 5+5+5+4/8. (Or to get really detailed, 2+3+2+3+2+3+2+2/8.)

if you cant achieve rhythmic interest in simple meters you shouldnt move onto complex (or even compound) meter so soon (in my opinion)

Just go analyze Mozart quartets/sonatas like everyone else

shifting where the accent is (without just writing accents), using triplets, illusions of metric modulation, parts coming in at odd beats, rhythmic variations of motifs giving them more or less momentum will all be apparent

I'm just fine with simple triple meter, though.

That's interesting. However, I'll echo what said, and also mention that 5 is asymmetric, so unless you're going really fast, or your phrases are explicitly 5 8th notes, you're basically doing 3+2 or 2+3 or even 4+1. Again, seeing the score or listening to a piece, even if it's just a little bit, will give us more insight into your project.

Also, one thing I'll mention, is that you're better off writing alternating measures with different time signatures rather than 19/8 (e.g. a 10/8 [or even a 5/4 desu, then just specifying that when you go to the next measure, quarter note=dotted quarter or some variant of that] measure followed by a measure of 9/8). Imagine being a musician and having to make heads or tails of that time signature, it's ridiculous to look at (but not in terms of merit, just appearance) and will lead to lost time during rehearsal. They in turn will have to closely examine the beaming to verify, again leading to lost time.

Alternatively, if you explicitly express what the 19 groups like in the performance notes, you might be able to get away with it.

well then you better practice common time

this thread is awesome!
I'm studying Rimsky Korsokov's text on orchestration right now and highly recommend, as it has excerpts from his own work to explain the points he makes. I hope this takes off!

northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/45270-Welcome-to-the-Garritan-Interactive-PRINCIPLES-OF-ORCHESTRATION-by-Rimsky-Korsakov

if i remember correctly that gives further explanation and audio examples to the book, check it out!

northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

should have linked that instead actually

this is dope dude, so far I've been trying to find the spots in his music with youtube clips. You just saved me so much time; cheers!
I also recommend Walter Piston's classic text on harmony

haha ya i was doing that too and it was a pain in the ass

Wow, this is amazing. Will put in the next OP for sure senpai, unless the OP of this thread (not me) does so before me! And if he's reading, OP add that to the next thread, it's some great text.

Coincidentally I've begun sketching out (and I mean barely) a symphonic work based on some Russian science fiction, and was looking to study some scores by Korsokov to see what I could mine from it. Thanks!

Bump

Bm7 - E9 - Amaj7 - Gmaj7
Bm7 - E9 - Amaj7 - F#7#5

got any V7/V chords in there?

Applied chords are what I want to start using a LOT more. Bach was a master of this

Bump

Fugue: The fuguening continues

I'm making a cheesy jazz arrangement of an infinitely more cheesy song. I've never arranged anything before but hearing the reharmonisation is pretty fun.

forgot links
Arrangement: clyp.it/hfjpspt2
original: youtube.com/watch?v=xR-hWde2YsY&feature=youtu.be&t=22s

Quite nice. The harmony during the part following the first iteration of the melody was rather interesting.

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

anyone else go to sleep with a metronome playing?

How will I know if I can become a good composer or not if I don't try my very hardest.

nah I need complete silence to go to sleep. Even have to turn off any ticking clocks