"I met Kanye West I'm never going to fail" ... yeah, about that. Who else this album was utter shit?

"I met Kanye West I'm never going to fail" ... yeah, about that. Who else this album was utter shit?

not as good as acid rap but not a failure

chance has never made anything good

>not being able to appreciate gospel

Uncultured white boy detected.

Plebs detected

The production on this entire album sounds like a 16 year old who only listens to Future was given the job to make a gospel/trap album for Chance the Rapper and seriously dropped the ball and then Chance smoked just a bit too much before he recorded every verse and thought, "shit, yeah, that sounded tight."

Acid Rap(8/10) ... Coloring Book(4/10)

It was alright but jay electronica aside the features were cringe level bad. The gospel elements were actually pretty dope but the trumpet playing gets old really quick on this one. the hooks seem forced on some songs like same drugs and no problem. Honestly the worst thing is those features though, mixtape and the future song sound were designed just to appeal to white kids who listen to trap.

OP here, I like Chance's gospel tracks, Ultralight Beam on TLoP was great, but this sounded like really lame meme rap imo

There's literally nothing wrong with the production and there are actually really fucking good instrumentals on here (Summer Friends, No Problem, Angels, Smoke Break, How Great is Our God).

Not to mention the fact that the gospel and R&B songs are solid as fuck for what they are, not to mention the creative use of transposing on How Great's chorus to sort of make it stand on its own as a cover.

His lyrics are still on point. Summer Friends is about the shootings in Chicago and how the murder rate increases during the Summer and how "Summer Friends don't stick around." His biblical allegories are clever and insightful on songs like Blessings I and How Great. I'll admit, his lyrics aren't as great as on his first, but they're still pretty good.

Coloring Book is easily a 9

>not liking Same Drugs

WE DON'T LIKE THE
WE DON'T LIKE THE
SAAAAAAAAME SONGS

>Aye aye captain
>I'm high captain
>I'm so high
>Me and God dabbing

Come on, you can't say that wasn't funny.

> mixtape

this was a terrible beat, and Im a thugger fan

>There's literally nothing wrong with the production

All We Got and All Night are two prime examples of bad production. First off, All We Got has this overbearing out of tune trap-esque synth in the background that makes no sense with the song and sounds objectively terrible. Then, on All Night, Chance's vocals don't even fit with the song. It sounds like the producer EQd his vocals to fit within the range but then forgot to lower the gain on his vocals.

Not sure if sarcasm...

The memey parts are more surface level though, and really just meant to keep the attention span of people that want a hype verse over a dime a dozen trap beat. All we got and how great make really good subtle use of the beat with choir as the driving melody. All night has that retro 80s blaring synth pop sound seamlessly mixed with hip hop. Its def a step down from acidrap and ten day but i think chance and co. still have a few good albums in them

>out of tune rap synth

I'm not sure if you're referring to Kanye's auto-tune, the brass stabs or the trumpet, but I'll admit that Kanye's auto-tune is wonky on that song.

I agree that All Night has a good synth pop sound. It's just that his vocal track on this song is so loud that it's distracting. All We Got... again I don't hear any subtly at all. We have this overly reverbed synth bass that again just distracts from what could have been a really great song. The lyrics are find, the gospel choir is fine, but that annoying, unnecessary, and out of tune synth bass just ruins the entire song.

It's actually pretty funny if you don't have your head up your ass.

I mean the brass stabs. They pull away from the song. It feels like he was trying to be unique but it just doesn't sound good.

>I'm so high
>Me and God dabbing

Coming from someone who had actually a pretty clever biblical line "I bet that my ex looking back like a pillar of salt" this really just feels like cheap gospel cloud rap that isn't really even clever.

It's a funny punchline with dabbing being a double entendre in this situation meaning that he could be so high that he's dancing with God or that he's so high he's smoking with God, but either way it's a funny illustration for something you'd expect to see coming but don't at all.

This is my AOTY but the features did make me wanna throw up. Chance even had shit features on acid rap but everyone is ignoring that this year for obvious reasons

Acid Rap was much better but Coloring Book is still pretty good.

>It's a funny punchline with dabbing being a double entendre in this situation meaning that he could be so high that he's dancing with God or that he's so high he's smoking with God, but either way it's a funny illustration for something you'd expect to see coming but don't at all.

I was 14 once too

>This is my AOTY but the features did make me wanna throw up. Chance even had shit features on acid rap but everyone is ignoring that this year for obvious reasons

Such as?

Don't let the faggots fool you, you're completely right and I thought the exact same thing

Ab Soul, Childish Gambino and Action Bronson

It actually isn't

It's not clever or funny it's literally just retarded

>terrible beat
>it's the coldest beat on the album

This, I genuinely don't understand why people listen to him

>he was talking about the brass stabs

totally shit, utterly tasteless

LMFAO

There's too much going on with the production, it's messy and overstuffed.
And seeing as he's "Chance the Rapper" I was expecting a hip-hop mixtape, not gospel.

this is why hip hop will stay stagnant indefinitely. If you try to do anything unique youre bound to alienate the kiddos who want some SICK BARS SENPAI. If your beats arent familiar enough, BRO WHERE ARE tHE BANGERZ. But if you keep making the same thing over and over then youre bound to become irrelevant in three years when some other trend consumes hip hop. Like fucking clockwork

What the fuck are you talking about? It's not even hip-hop, it's almost all black gospel, save for 2 tracks.
And it's not that the beats are "too experimental". They're cluttered and sound unfinished.

because youre used to minimal 808 percussion and hella compressed synth sounds.

See? Head up your own ass.

>black gospel
That's redundant.

>it's all gospel save for 2 tracks
And that's wrong. Listen closer faggot.

I always thought Ab Soul's feature was terrible too. I don't mind Action Bronson because he's funny. The opening minute or so of Favorite Song is alright, the rest is bad tb/h

views was the best rap album of the year. is the genre dead or merely dying?

pick any random hip hop album from 1994 and it is 10 times better than acid rap.

If you honestly think that, then you should probably die.

And hip hop has been dead for years, Nas called it.

>Nas called it
sad part is, he called it while releasing another shit-ass """"album""""

>Good
Blessings
Blessings (Reprise)
Mixtape

>OK
Summer Friends
Same Drugs
Angels
Juke Jam

>Meh
All Night
How Great
Finish Line / Drown

>Bad
All We Got
No Problem
Smoke Break

D.R.A.M. Sings Special is just filler obviously.

i hate everything he does. just like with drake drake. im in the minority with that though :)

am i the only nigga still care about a mix tape