Compelling arguments for vinyl in the 21st century besides pretension?

Compelling arguments for vinyl in the 21st century besides pretension?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records#Sound_recorded_in_locked_grooves
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fetishisaztion of a material object of an immaterial medium.

Basically having bigger album art to showcase.

Collectable. Visually pleasing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records#Sound_recorded_in_locked_grooves

Better mastering.
Not really sure if that applies though since vinyl rips are available digitally.

The Astonishing vinyl comes with a board game map

a hundred fucking dollars though plus no surprise I dont have anyone to play it with anyways

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but for me it's just a different experience. Not radically different, after all, it's still just music, but my vinyl player is hooked up to a set of speakers (fills the room), while I typically listen to music on my phone/computer with headphones on (solo).

So for me, anyway, playing vinyl means speakers, while digital means headphones.

It feels fulfilling to have a big LP collection. also shopping for them and the hunt is very very compelling.
It doesn't feel like i actually own an album until I have a vinyl copy. it's a bit of fun.

I've discovered during the last two years, since I can take CD-Rs home from the mastering plant, that there's an astonishing variation in quality between different CD plants. If you think digital is perfect, I have news for you. Many of us have been fooled by this myth that it's just 0s and 1s and therefore copies perfectly. It doesn't. The variations in quality are pretty wild, and random. Just the way you hook up a cable can make a difference. And there's no quality control in these CD plants, other than someone checking whether there's any level being transferred.

Most of us take it for granted that a CD is a CD, and we almost never discuss about varying standards of manufacture. I can't say too much about current US manufacturer's because I have few US made CDs. I have still detected a general shrillness to many US CDs ("let's tweek the high end to make them sound sharp to delude the general public that our CDs sound better than vinyl and tape"). Tweeking the high end also accentuated the hiss. After so many disappointments and revelations having heard import versions after getting US discs I have concentrated on acquiring import pressings.

As for maunfacturers themselves: on the import side I like the clarity of Nimbus UK but they can be hissier and lighter on low end than MPO France which produces well rounded sounding CDs. PDO have been fine except for the recent PDO UK disc rot problem. Sonopress in Germany are adequate. I used to shy away from DADC in Austria (Sony Europe uses them) but have realised that was a personal bias. Nimbus USA (Virginia) vary. Their reissues of the OMD catalogue were shoddy. DADC in Indiana (Sony/Columbia) are so so.

Best new meme

>this pasta again

I like the smell of it, and the paper cover.

For me it's the difference between an ebook and a real book I can hold in my hands.

I want to sit there and look at the sleeve, I want to read the inserts and lyrics, I want large detailed covers.

With vinyl I can still have that, with my ipod I have the music itself sure and that's absolutely great for when i'm out and about but why would I want to use the little digital at home?

looks better in a picture frame.

v0 master race

>'Ere, m8, put down that original pressin' of Faust by Faust, yeah, the one with the transparent sleeve featuring an x-ray of a hand. Yeah, it's got that transparent lyric sheet insert too oh and tha' record itself is semi-opaque isn't it? Yeah m8, throw that shit away, you want this zipped MP3 folder instead m8, sorted bruv innit

>cover art and booklets
>sometimes better mastering
>sense of community with other vinyl collectors
>value/investment opportunities
>breeds better listening habits and more attentive listeners

Lots of the albums that I collect haven't been released on CD yet (and they probably won't be for a very long time) and they're incredibly hard to find. If there's already a CD release of the album in good quality then I'll get the CD version instead.

warmth lmao

I like it

hotness lol

>helps blend in with the hipster normies
> big art
that's why I buy them

Why not
>Download the FLAC
>Buy the vinyl
Sounds sweet