All jokes aside, what makes an album a 10/10 in your honest opinion?!

All jokes aside, what makes an album a 10/10 in your honest opinion?!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LJONWCOoQJ8
youtu.be/TMTHLxkuz24
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It must resonate with me 10 out of ten listens.

1.) I don't have to warm up to the album. I can listen to it once and it'll stick with me.
2.) It can't just be catchy. It has to make me feel a certain way and make me feel it intensely.
Perfect example:
youtube.com/watch?v=LJONWCOoQJ8

1) No filler
2) Replay value (links back to no filler) 10 years down the line
3) Good song structures
4) A narrative that has some conclusion
5) Songs that don't ramble on (links back to having a conclusion)
6) Evokes some sort of emotion

That first point is absolutely retarded lmao

define filler

1. Listenable all the way through
2. Has intellectual value
3. Is innovative and inventive
4. Is immersive
5. Has a strong emotional effect
6. Differs from others of the same genre or timespan
7. Can be influential
8. Has its own beauty, twisted or not
9. Feels honest
10. Feels cohesive

How?

>1.) I don't have to warm up to the album. I can listen to it once and it'll stick with me.
Usually enjoying something a lot on the first listen is a sign that you're going to completely forget it in a few more.

Every personal 10/10 I've heard has taken a couple listens.

If my penis gets erect while listening to said album, its a perfect 10 for me.

1. I can form strong emotional connections with it
2. Cohesive
3. I have to find it beautiful as a piece of art

You just know

Very good criteria. I also think there should be no wasted time or unnecessary material, which isn't to say it must be trimmed down, but that it shouldn't have any sort of bombast. This may be a personal preference, but I also enjoy albums with dynamic variation because the quieter and louder parts are mutually accentuating, creating more of an emotional ride.

Every single of my 10s is a grower, loving something on first listen means that you've heard it all before, the artist is mostly rehashing sounds you're already familiar with

Good point. Makes sense why I didn't like Spiderland the first couple times and it has now been my favorite album for about three years.

A song like Escape on Ride the Lightning.
Usually a catchy throwaway song.

not OP but I'll answer. Songs I don't like.

I think it's more like songs that don't necessarily match the lineup and break immersion by feeling unnecessary and filling in the gaps.

>2. Has intellectual value

Being an important part of my life, or having changed my life somehow
Has to stick with me for years without getting boring
No filler tracks
Completely honest and unpretentious
Also if it can give me goosebumps that's usually pretty good

Unnecessary material would probably go with 1, 4 or 10.
Dynamism is pretty good too but I think in rare cases it can be forgiven like noise or drone.
Well I can enjoy a lot of more carefree, fun albums but I wouldn't give it a 10 if it didn't have some sort of underlying substance to it.

no fillers
goosebumps
attention grabbing
unique
a sweet mix between happiness and melancholy
top shelf production

how do you define "intellectual value"?

Just whether or not it sounds really good. Don't over-complicate shit.

Idk, it's subjective really. I guess it can go with anything that feels stimulating or interesting not only on an emotional level. Like there's a noticeable effort or technical structure behind it all.

It has to talk about political or civil issues

Or it just deals with interesting subject matter or approach.

1 Is extremely fun, deep and meaningful even after countless relistens
the end

>the word intellectual now triggers simpletons
>"f-fedora! Haha! Right guys! H-he said intellectual!"

I actually have a lot of trouble naming the qualities of what makes an album a ten, mainly due to the great differences between some albums that I consider "tens". For instance, Madvillainy, Soundtracks for the Blind and Faust are some of my few 10's, yet ,teh experience I've had with them are notably different. One is stimulating and visual, the other is disorienting and explosive, the other soothing yet intoxicating.

This draws me to the frankly uncomfortable conclusion that 10/10's are just arbitrary, and I can;t really defend why I believe they're so good.

Anyone else has this "issue"?

so basically 10/10 doesnt exist

That's exactly and literally Madvillainy for me.

This is one of the main reasons I've stopped rating albums. A 10/10 is an album I really enjoy, and I feel has some significance to it, but since taste itself is so arbitrary I don't latch on to the idea in objective terms in any way.

An album I find some combination of the following: extraordinarily emotionally powerful, exciting, challenging, strange, unique, original, boundary-pushing.

>This draws me to the frankly uncomfortable conclusion that 10/10's are just arbitrary, and I can;t really defend why I believe they're so good.

A lot of personal 10/10 albums are mostly due to some personal significance. I fully admit that some of my favorite albums are really flawed

Why does anyone here even aderes to a system of rating albums, no one here is a critic or interested in formal qualities of music anyway

>Great instrumentation, along with subtle elements that you can find on repeat listens
>Interesting song structures, I don't mind verse-chorus-verse as long as it doesn't take up the entire record.
>No filler, unless it provides some sort of transition
>Songs that evolve meaningfully, often people can mistake longevity for quality when sometimes it just means a song drags on forever without any real pay off
>10-12 songs is the preferable length, sometimes artists just shit out 16 songs with about 25% of them being forgettable and boring

>3) Good song structures
>4) A narrative that has some conclusion
>5) Songs that don't ramble on (links back to having a conclusion)
what a retarded set of arbitrary restrictions

Do mixes count? this if so. youtu.be/TMTHLxkuz24

>pink floyd - money
the definition of filler, not bad, not great and out of place

Not even my favorite album, but it's flawless and sounds as if it exists outside of time keeping the music evergreen

For me, I just feel a certain way if an album is a 10, it's hard to explain.

Time is the best track on the album

>Narrative
Why? So only concept albums can be 10s? What about Jazz albums?

relistenability
it's literally impossible for me to discern if an album's 10/10 in the first month of me hearing it.
it's a 10/10 album for me if i'm still listening to it a decade later

Yeah, my favorite album didn't stick with me at first but I listened all the way through a couple times and was in a state of complete ecstasy once I finished it, 10/10 albums will suprise you and make you enjoy it even more with each listen

I didn't mean concept albums.
Apologies for the copy pasta:

"As the craft of songwriting becomes more complex, a need arises to organize riffs internally by their relationship to one another instead of by their general relation to a harmonic principle as can be done with binary cyclic songs. This requires that the riffs create an internal dialogue in which the shape of each riff comments on each other and shows a chance in relationship to an underlying idea, so that each new riff expands on the context of the old and allows them to be repeated -- albeit less than in a cyclic form -- in a way that takes advantage of an expanded context so that each successive riff reveals more of a slowly emerging idea. In this style, which more resembles a topography than the neat circles of binary songwriting, songs tend to take narrative form of either a purely motif-driven type which conforms to a story told within the content, or in a more abstract form where the narrative appears in immanent form from the interaction of the riffs themselves. In narrative songs, structure fits content rather than adapting to a pre-ordained form; in some classical music, form is highly articulated to reflect a certain type of story that is to be told, and there the two impulses find parity. In death metal, where the highest evolution of the narrative form occurred in metal, initial riff shape approximates a metaphor for the germinal content, which then in turn shapes song structure around it, more like a form of power chord poetry than a strictly symbolic use."

For me its if the album a) Greatly influences my Emotions
b) isnt just a collection of songs but a coherent piece
c) replayable

good points. would add
d)has new and original ideas
e)is an honest piece of art, as in it does what it does because the artists want it to, not because the artist thinks that's what's gonna be popular
f)is a true expression of the artist and not some pseudo bullshit