/jazz/

Thread for all general jazz discussion.

What albums have you been enjoying lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dtd2UioESyw
youtube.com/watch?v=LFqwxBcBuHI
woodygoss.bandcamp.com/album/solo-rhodes
www102.zippyshare.com/v/M2Ud0fzp/file.html
www102.zippyshare.com/v/qUtimYSM/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NTJhHn-TuDY
www26.zippyshare.com/v/sEpgYtLO/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=UTThP02wI4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sad that jazz has no replies, i've recently found chet baker, "i fall in love too easily" and "but not for me" are REALLY good songs, i prefer jazz with vocals.

pic related, a quintet recording with Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Bill Evans, Jimmy Garrison and Paul Motian. the lineup says it all

>sad that jazz has no replies
Dude, the thread has been up for less than ten minutes...

youtube.com/watch?v=Dtd2UioESyw
youtube.com/watch?v=LFqwxBcBuHI

two records I'd love to find online

This is some great modern jazz

You'll get more replies than I will

Lee Konitz is great.

indeed, even his lesser known/more unusual recordings are worth a few listens

This looks great. I'll listen to it now.

share some lunar jazz like sun ra please

I don't know what I'm talking about

Try pic rel.

I've been trying to find that one. LK is great.

>I've been trying to find that one
send me mail at c4226120[at]trbvn.com

Cool, I did.

thanks I'll start the hunt for these rite now

gotcha

just the basics.I would like some recommendations

What have you listened to so far?

Oscar peterson is my man

Favourite album? I like pic related. SteepleChase was a fantastic label for the most part.

This one is amazing, too.

fucking awesome sideman too

Not heard that one, DLing it now.

Love that one, Zoot is underrated. For more Gershwin stuff w/ Joe Pass, pic rel. is great.

rhodes take on "solo monk" which is prob my fave album
woodygoss.bandcamp.com/album/solo-rhodes

give me good bebop album

Always Fats. Check out early Dexter Gordon for some rip-roaring stuff, too. Jack Kerouac wrote about his "The Hunt" in "The Road".

yay, thanks, I got into jazz after 'on the road', will give it a listen for sure

This is hard-bop, not be-bop.

you won't find a lot of bop LPs, most of them are 78s/10" compilations

Are you listening to it now?

whats the difference?

I'm listening to that Lee Konitz from earlier. The torrent seems dead for Very Tall.

wikipedia dot organic slash axl

What are some essential bop releases?

It's on soulseek.

check out Parker's complete Dial & Savoy sessions, and the New faces New sounds 10" collection Blue note released in the early 50s that would be a good start

A different generation of players, essentially. Be-bop is Parker/Gillespie-esque stuff typically from 1945-55, hard bop is younger players like the Messengers and Miles Davis from 1956-65.

Sure you could do some research on the specific stylistic differences, or just listen to examples.

The Quintet - Jazz At Massey Hall
Dexter Gordon - Dexter Rides Again
Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell
J.J. Johnson - J.J. Johnson's Jazz Quintets
Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird And Diz

I don't use it, but here are Zippyshare links if anyone else was looking:

www102.zippyshare.com/v/M2Ud0fzp/file.html
www102.zippyshare.com/v/qUtimYSM/file.html

I'd only heard Night Train until yesterday, but this live video is fucking rad
youtube.com/watch?v=NTJhHn-TuDY

Seconding that Johnson/Clifford Brown date, it's mindblowing.

Both volumes of pic rel. are fantastic examples of be-bop, also.

Thanks for the recs, appreciate it.

rec me your favorite jazz albums from the past 5 years /jazz/

Reminder to jazz fans to come check out the /blindfold test/ threads every Friday and Saturday.

This week's theme is the Prestige Label.
www26.zippyshare.com/v/sEpgYtLO/file.html

This week's theme is the Prestige label.

y'all know Elmo Hope?
dude is so swining!!!

Elmo Hope is fantastic, massively underrated player.

Does anyone have pic related? I can't find it anywhere.

i've got it at home will upload when I rip

Would be hugely appreciated.

cool I was starting to upload it but my speed is crap today for some reason
great album with a stellar Gilmore and the too rare Ronnie motherfucking Boykins on bass
and let's not forget Philly Joe Jones on drums

Philly Joe FUCKING DESTROYS it

any of y'all go to conservatory ?? currently at NEC

I believe a good part of the people posting in /jazz/ do attend conservatory or used to at some point

>cool I was starting to upload it but my speed is crap today for some reason
...I don't mind waiting. Non-arkestra albums with Gilmore as a sideman are worth more to me than diamonds.

anyone can link me anything like max graef? slightly dancey/electronic infused vibe

youtube.com/watch?v=UTThP02wI4E

Magnus Östrom temporarily destroyed my faith in drummers as composers; this restored it. Solid.

I've never been to a conservatory and now that I'm getting older I kinda feel bad about it.
Realistically speaking, how likely is it that I learn buying a sax or a trumpet and playing by myself? Because I doubt I can go far with it.

Can anybody give me a guideline on conservatories? How old are the people there? I'm just 18, is it too late? What is expected that I know about? Are they expensive? Can I take musical studies while studying on a university?

Sorry if this is too much.

>I'm just 18, is it too late?
Are you for real.

I would say you'd be unlikely to get to a level to be a professional musician if you start as late as 18, but you could absolutely get to a point where you could enjoyably play in bands etc if you put in the work, also for starting out you would definitely need a teacher before learning by yourself, to avoid bad habits/get the right technique which allows you to advance well

Pat Metheny Group

2011. Phew. Just made it.

Yes. Too old? I'm pretty clueless
I looked a conservatory near me and apparently the minimum age to enroll was eight years. I wonder if I'd be in a class full of eight years old or something, I don't know. I know a lot of people start early to get he hang of it.
>I would say you'd be unlikely to get to a level to be a professional musician
That's okay, I just want to learn to play and understand music better and to enjoy myself.

it comes down to the motivation really, if you practiced every day for a year you would be better than many people that have been playing since they were 2 - so by all means go for it

I think music school wise you'd probably want to look for one which specifically was for adult beginners (otherwise you would realistically be with a lot of young kids)

jtg

ok

BMus here. I majored in composition, arranging and studio. I was a weak guitarist, couldn't improvise for shit, but give me some notation software and I'll sketch out some decent ideas. One of the highlights of my life was performing my arrangements of the Super Mario Bros Theme and 'My Favorite Things' (in 5/4 time) together with five horns and a rhythm section.

Thank you.
About classes, a friend of mine is friends with a music teacher that plays jazz and told me if I needed a tuition , he was available, so I could try that.
I am just unsure about whether to pick a trumpet because I've heard it's pretty hard (I plan on practicing a lot though) but more versatile, or a saxophone.

listening to this atm pretty good

Check out early Tomasz Stanko as well.

If you have a chance to get a personal teacher you should jump to it.
Can't really say much about the trumpet versus the saxophone, but I think you should just play the one that sounds the better to you without caring for anything else.

I will ,thx

rec me your favorite jazz albums from the past 16 years

I played Red Clay for my cousins and aunt, it went over their heads but I still think it's one of my favorites.

I like Real Life better, make sure you check that out too.

OK but only if you recommend me your favorite comic books from the past 75 years before

*Straight Life
fuck me it's early and I need coffee

Flash Gordon and Martin Mystery

I really enjoy the second track, Invitation. The bass line feels like a musical fractal, a perfect groove. The movements on this song are also great. Anybody have recs?

I'm not entirely sure which thread to post this in but I'm looking for songs that are deep and moody, the kind that you'll hear in old time bars where everyone is quiet and the air is filled with smoke and only that old time, moody jazz singer is heard along with the clink of glasses. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

Pic rel. or early Tom Waits.

I really enjoy Badbadnotgood in general.

the name is a real freudian slip

>freudian slip
yeah, have you try them?

what do you guys think about The Lounge Lizards?
If I'm being honest, I listened to their first album and it really blew me away
Maybe it's just because I've had the same 7 Jazz CD's in my car for years that I rotate through because I'm too lazy to look into new things most of the time
But I'm curious to hear what you all think

They're great

Can you guys recommend me some books on jazz? So that I wouldn't only feel the music but be able to understand it too. I read a book about polish yass movement which was experimental genre, avant-garde jazz mixed with other genres, and I'm reading it again right now. I got History of Jazz by Ted Giola, and I'm finishing the autobiography of Tymon Tymański, one of the most important persons when it comes to yass. After that I thought about reading biographies or autobiographies by Mingus, Trane and Davis.

Every Little Step: My Story
Nick Chiles,Bobby Brown

What's their best album, in your opinion?

I suggest checking out this chart, and following a few paths to the end.
Afterwards, you should know with a bit more certainty what type of jazz you like (piano, guitar, sax, brass, fast, slow) and then we can give you better recommendations.

Mikołaj Trzaska learnt how to play saxophone on his own, and when he started he was around twenty I think. And he's a great player now.

So I guess that you can learn how to play sax on your own.

I ordered saxophone few days ago, and it'll come on Monday. Mikołaj Trzaska is my inspiration, he wasn't a good musician in term of technique in the beginning, but he loved playing, and was really dedicated.

This chart made me cringe.

This chart doesn't address the funadmentals of jazz.
Do you need to smoke weed while listening or not?

>Do you need to smoke weed while listening or not?
REEEEEEEEEE

He didn't want the fundamentals. He wanted an introduction.
The chart has quite a variety in the first few sections, and after that, we can give better recommendations, as I said.
Or would you prefer everyone to recommend their favorite Mingus and Evans sessions, without regard for his preference?
Putting a little bit of effort into finding a style you like shouldn't be too much to ask, so he can get more accurate recommendations.

First album, for sure

And for anyone looking to intro into jazz

Slightly better chart, but still bad. If you anyway need a chart to "get into" something, you're beyond help.