What exactly is the difference between prog and post rock the definitons seem similar

What exactly is the difference between prog and post rock the definitons seem similar

Prog is more about dad-rock-like solos and post rock is more about atmosphere.

i like to think of prog and postrock as a scale in which shoegaze is in the middle

this user gets it

prog rock is filled with wankery and manchildren

Between post-rock and post-punk, I think I’ve come up with a new rule: basically, adding “post” to a style of music just means “with all the fun taken out of it.” Post-rock is all the stuff that gets shuffled off into its own little category so that people with an interest in actual rock music don’t have to worry about it. Post-rock records ought to come with warning labels so that music fans don’t accidentally buy them. God forbid anybody looking for a good time should ever accidentally buy a Godspeed You Black Emperor record. It would be disastrous. Or, suppose somebody who wanted to dance accidentally picked up Talk Talk’s “Laughing Stock” instead of one of their earlier sane records; the flailing of limbs which might result in trying to keep up with the weirdy-beardy syncopation and floppy guitars could put the listener in danger of serious dislocations.

how are king crimson, henry cow and pink floyd not also about atmosphere tho

the definiotions are quite broad and cover longish periods of music but seem to commit to roughly the same principles

post rock is an attempt at minimalism with rock n roll instruments and then some.
prog rock is an attempt at art music in general with rock n roll instruments and then some.

Post-rock is hipster prog

i believe this review will answer any questions you have

Progrock is generally much more structured and feels more deliberate. Postrock is more about creating a vibe and feels much more naturally flowing. At least that's how I feel about it.

You don't listen to Prog Rock as it's horrible (not really I just don't want pseudo hipsters to discover anything past pop-prog) and Post-Rock is "patrician" for people who are "patrician" (not really, most of it is terrible).

prog is the progression of rock on a technical level
post is the advancement of rock on an artistic level

Careful with that sharp edge there

Prog-Rock was when he teamed up with Mankind and did wacky avant-garde promos like "This is Your Life" it was strange and just different enough to get audiences into a new format of over the top gimmickery dispite it seeming like the same Rock as before

Post-Rock is when he came back just to beat up Cena and Cm Punk and become a Champ again, basically getting all the acclaim without working too hard and creating long stretched out pieces of nothing in between the real important climatic events.

Haha I remember my days on Sup Forums a decade ago, hope you enjoy your current days!

Progressive rock is a genre that developed in the late 60's early 70's and was largeley influenced by classical
music and jazz. Long solos/jams, complex song structures, exibition of technical skill are typical of prog.
Prog bands included: Gentle Giant, King Crimson, early Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer etc.
The UK was a major prog epicentre, but there were many groups in Italy as well.

Post rock is a less defined genre. It is often instrumental, experimental, mid/down tempo, with non-traditional song structures and a general non-rock attitude.
It developed in the 90s with band such as Tortoise, Don Caballero etc.

In recent years the label post-rock is used for much more stereotyped music, with instrumental pieces that start slow and quiet, then reach a loud climax to return to a quiet atmosphere.

pretentious and unfunny

you must be popular

Early post-hardcore is fun though

Hey, you're funny (not really) and I think you have a bright future on this board (please leave now).

And what is the exactly difference between indie rock and alt rock post 00'