Okay, serious question. Regarding their pre-Speaking In Tongues albums...

Okay, serious question. Regarding their pre-Speaking In Tongues albums, would you consider Talking Heads new-wave or post-punk?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_folk_music_traditions
twitter.com/AnonBabble

proto new-wave

post post-punk

Both, like The Cure or Devo

>new-wave or post-punk?
What's the difference?

How far a dick is up your ass

new wave is more specific

Rock.

new wave has a more pop driven sound

they were never post-punk

how dumb is this board?

they started out playing in cbgb. their first two albums at least sound pretty post punk. why aren't they?

I would consider them

Just 'rock' is enough.

Cultural Appropriation

Then what are they

Bump

eh, world/pop

maybe for Remain In Light, their previous albums don't incorporate any world

Is America not part of the world now?

quit being so obtuse

>doesn't hear the world influence on fear of music

america is covered in the 'pop' part

post punk revival

World isn't a genre or a sound you prick.

I always thought world music described non-western music. Nevertheless, I wouldn't call it a genre, its not specific enough

I hear the influence but I wouldn't apply it to the album as a whole, the world-influence isn't nearly pervasive as it is in Remain In Light

Why? The music in all countries have genre labels.

Is American music world music to an Indian?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_folk_music_traditions

no one called it a genre, everyone in this thread is saying there are world music influences

>defining a band with a pre-x album(s)

the fuck is that

talking heads = world/pop

doesn't need to be anymore specific than that. anything more specific is covered as subsets within the world/pop label.

World is not a thing you ignorant retard.

Traditional music within the west is usually called folk.

regardless of whether or not you think it's an appropriate classification (i agree it's mostly stupid), it exists and it's a widely used term. you'd be ignorant to suggest otherwise.

I mean, you could use "world" along with the country of origin as a label pertaining to any release outside of your country but its kind of pointless in my opinion considering we have more precise genres such as American folk music, salsa, polka, etc.

Okay, I will tell the next person I meet Remain In Light sounds like Ravi Shankar playing the Chinese Guzhentg to a Calypso beat while morris dancing in Lederhosen.

art rock

they were like intellectual and pretentious, sorta feminine

i hate to call them punk but I know they came from that adventurous jew york thing that happened

yeah, and then you'd be a right wanker, wouldn't you?
if you say it has world influences, people will know vaguely what you mean, if you stammer out something like that, you'll get a funny look. this is how language works.

No, I'd get the same wtf look.

Why not try saying its pop/rock while ripping off African music like Paul Simon did, at least then you actually come close to describing it rather than writing off 200+ countries music as all sounding the same because you're a dumbfuck Westener.

"world music" only meant anything when it was a section in record stores. same with "alternative"

they're pretty antiquated at this point

yeah okay, i'm fine with these

In my opinion, Fear Of Music has punk influence and Remain In Light bears almost no resemblance to punk music. I think their first two albums are much more punk-esque, almost bordering on art-punk
I agree with this, as much as we may know about music and its genres, its ridiculous to go around talking like that.

america is waiting for a message of some sort or another

I refrain from using "world" to label music because it really is an elementary way of describing music. For example, if I was to say, "Remain In Light was a new wave album that incorporated world," you don't really get a good picture in your head. However, I could more adequately describe it saying, "Remain In Light is a new wave album that incorporates African-beat music in the form of intricate percussion sections and ritualized chanting." It's honestly arbitrary though, nobody will really care in the end and letting someone listen to the album to form their own opinion is much better than confusing them with a convoluted response