I've been pretty close to vaporwave "scene" in 2013–2015...

I've been pretty close to vaporwave "scene" in 2013–2015. Despite still liking the muzak aesthetics of this self-styled "genre", I must admit it's absolutely devoid of any artistic merit, with the exception of exactly one release—Virtua.zip.

The irony is, the actual '80s music did vaporwave a hundred times better than vaporwave itself. Listen to Dire Straits—Your Latest Trick ( youtu.be/0YTh1Wsqo2c ) or MJ's Human Nature ( youtu.be/7Y3dsAY_a_I ). You've just heard all vaporwave.

Listen to ABC—Lexicon of Love, this song for example: youtu.be/6lazXg2pAXk . You've just heard all future funk.

It's sad to admit this, but vaporwave is just a buzzword genre capitalizing playing on the '90s nostalgia craze, made to sell completely talentless excuse of music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ElTh1M8Xp2k
youtube.com/watch?v=FfYG3vCuDFM
youtube.com/watch?v=OSuk_T-QD-M
youtube.com/watch?v=TdhRymI8P1I
whosampled.com/情報デスクVIRTUAL/
youtube.com/watch?v=8be242aXQ-0
youtube.com/watch?v=wWALeL_queM
youtube.com/watch?v=1JEueGdQ5yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QbhwgsZh0BQ
youtu.be/cLVp0ry0mzM
youtu.be/_gjZSVOELbI
youtu.be/UH1CMCtV4to
youtu.be/4imbtjey-aQ
youtu.be/9vcqYt7tWmk
youtu.be/N6uEMOeDZsA
youtu.be/_r0n9Dv6XnY
youtu.be/XjhTHQhJLxs
youtu.be/JIrm0dHbCDU
youtu.be/RriQt0ebFaw
youtu.be/Qt2mbGP6vFI
youtube.com/watch?v=ztDF6TTKomo
youtube.com/watch?v=9ozsgu4ifXs
youtube.com/watch?v=XruY72JamWc
youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw
youtu.be/rcjpags7JT8
youtu.be/MmyDosjjP5U
youtu.be/MvoOWfAC7e0
youtu.be/snsTmi9N9Gs
youtu.be/15kWlTrpt5k
youtu.be/pdv4XTjBwdQ
youtu.be/ql-OO3-fSss
youtu.be/MeNUYNCqXBQ
youtu.be/7mH8PaWbi1E
youtu.be/FvjBx0om2H4
youtu.be/SU0Ypufo6BM
youtu.be/_7Mi77iqMjA
youtu.be/iIeAt5invw0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like worms

But do you?

youtube.com/watch?v=ElTh1M8Xp2k

The fact that you only think one release is worth merit shows that you've never listened to the genre for more than a month

Wrong. I've been listening to it for 2 years. Started from Skeleton, Vektroid, Internet Club, Saint Pepsi and worked my way through the rest until 2814 came out.

It's all shit of varying degrees. Some of it, like 情報デスクVIRTUAL, is simply mixtapes, nothing else. Other is either plunderphonics of the lowest quality or generic trendy electronics like trap/ambient/whatever, with "vaporwave" label slapped on it to market it to teens.

What could have justified vaporwave would be Games-style sytnhpop. Of course it didn't happen when some people make whole """albums""" in Audacity.

Did you like games ep?

It's literally the tits, my most favorite vaporwave-related release. Channel Pressure is alright but with less cheesy synth goodness

Should I start a Vaporwave band?

I'll join if you let me

what do you wanna play?

I play guitar guy. And I can also fall asleep

What do you like about them user?

they're wormy

nah buddy, you either have dumb standards, haven't actually found the cool stuff or get all your music from Sup Forums. either way, relax. i've found the minority of vaporwave is actually plunderphonics, and even if it does sample it's rarely a predominant theme throughout the song.

also, how is "mixtapes" derogatory? isn't that more referential towards a means of distribution than actual content?

w/e man, it's all cool. go through some label's discogs and i'm sure you'll find something that reaches whatever level you see virtua.zip (also your claim that anyone's bought any crap due to the cultural cache of vaporwave is balls-out bananas, bud)

I feel like Eco Virtual is severely underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=FfYG3vCuDFM

I play saxophone, this could work, drummer and synth player wanted, sampler optional.

Post proto-vaporwave

youtube.com/watch?v=OSuk_T-QD-M
youtube.com/watch?v=TdhRymI8P1I

>I've been pretty close to vaporwave "scene" in 2013–2015.
wow oldfag right?

>protip: there hasn't been a worthwhile vaporwave release since 2012

> you either have dumb standards, haven't actually found the cool stuff or get all your music from Sup Forums
I used to hang on /r/vaporwave and I've heard all their suggested albums. Heard a lot of stuff from labels like Beer on the Rug and so on.

This isn't the old talk about copyright. This is the talk about the quality of music labeled as "vaporwave". The overwhelming majority of it has no value to anyone except the vaporwave community, simply because it's just amateur electronics. When compared to any contemporary electronic music release, it sounds like beginner production. What goes for "aesthetics" in it is simply extensive reverb/chorus-layered production. That's it—that's literally the only requirement there is for music to "qualify" to be vaporwave.

Producers like to talk that no one understands them, that vaporwave simply has no boundaries and it didn't stay in one place… all while making painfully primitive music with said chorus/reverb effect. That's how we eventually got 2814. It's not a vaporwave album, it's just reverb. You can hear anything in it from nostalgia to assasination of JFK
"Does It Look Like I'm Here?" by Emeralds is more vaporwave than this.

> also, how is "mixtapes" derogatory?
情報デスクVIRTUAL is literally a compilation of smooth jazz/new age from '80s/'90s, by other artists of course. No audible changes had been made to the material. You can hear the originals on whosampled.com/情報デスクVIRTUAL/ . It's not to say it's bad—it's great. But it's not the artist's work, plain and simple.

so serious

youtube.com/watch?v=8be242aXQ-0

The problem with this kind of music is that it's almost always made by total hacks or is just plain plagiarism. No wonder all these videogame composers have no cred outside of their industry, let alone Japan. That's why the only people who listen to them in US are weebs.

Some of them did have good chiptune programming skills back in the day though, but otherwise, Japan just can't into music. Let's forget about this Sup Forums meme once for all.

>in record store
>see this
>still don't approach because she bought a Beatles album

Fuck off ignorant retard

You're right that it's shit, but in all the wrong ways.

Of course 80's pop does it better, but essentially it's all about the conceptuality of the genre. Really that's a big can of worms to open due to the fact people have so many different viewpoints on the concept.

What makes it "bad" is the fact that a majority of the artists stay in a bubble of this "concept" and don't go out of the foreground of the genre. It really breeds complacency, and the saturation of the genre certainly doesn't help.

also because she's got one of those weird "tall and flat" butts

> What makes it "bad" is the fact that a majority of the artists stay in a bubble of this "concept" and don't go out of the foreground of the genre. It really breeds complacency, and the saturation of the genre certainly doesn't help.

I agree fully, however the concept of vaporwave was pretty limited to begin with, never mind that I don't think it has enough to actually be called a "genre".

Wasn't the point of Vaporwave to take vapid, pointless 80's-early 90's pop, fun and otherwise and mix it up to make something new that critiqued it?

>Talks about how genre is a pointless vapid attempt at shallow vain artistic expression
>Actively listens to it for 2 years

Did it really take you that long to come to the standard Sup Forums stance on the genre?

I disagree, take a look at Eco Virtual and some of the Vektroid aliases, there was a lot of variety in their themes and works, it's unfortunate that people latched onto Floral Shoppe so hard and thought all vaporwave has to be le funny Alexander the Great and Windows 95 imagery

>I read the vaporwave wikipedia article and so now I'm an expert
>calling artists like Sade "vapid, pointless 80's-early 90's pop"

This guy knows the score. Sade is the embodiment of vaporwave

Nope

Not so actively. I gave it up several times. But it was memed so hard, I thought it just to have some substance. Needless to say I was pretty new to online music discussion to make this assumption.

They all come down to one pretty apparent thing: deeper levels of nostalgia for '80s–'90s. Not the shallow "dude DeLorean lmao" Outrun-style neon indie, but the later era and its unique zeitgeist

youtube.com/watch?v=wWALeL_queM

youtube.com/watch?v=1JEueGdQ5yQ

youtube.com/watch?v=QbhwgsZh0BQ

youtu.be/cLVp0ry0mzM better than Japanese hacks

Even making synthesizers didn't save that country

Dumping some of my selections of proto-vaporwave

youtu.be/_gjZSVOELbI

youtu.be/UH1CMCtV4to

youtu.be/4imbtjey-aQ

youtu.be/9vcqYt7tWmk

youtu.be/N6uEMOeDZsA

youtu.be/_r0n9Dv6XnY

youtu.be/XjhTHQhJLxs

youtu.be/JIrm0dHbCDU

youtu.be/RriQt0ebFaw

And the fucking GOAT song

youtu.be/Qt2mbGP6vFI

japanime gotem

Thanks
youtube.com/watch?v=ztDF6TTKomo
youtube.com/watch?v=9ozsgu4ifXs
youtube.com/watch?v=XruY72JamWc
youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw

youtu.be/rcjpags7JT8
youtu.be/MmyDosjjP5U
youtu.be/MvoOWfAC7e0 (dat intro)
youtu.be/snsTmi9N9Gs (best Madonnawave)
youtu.be/15kWlTrpt5k (second best Madonnawave)
youtu.be/pdv4XTjBwdQ
youtu.be/ql-OO3-fSss
youtu.be/MeNUYNCqXBQ

And some vaporwave videos

youtu.be/7mH8PaWbi1E
youtu.be/FvjBx0om2H4

Nearly forgot, without this one the list would be incomplete
youtu.be/SU0Ypufo6BM

youtu.be/_7Mi77iqMjA
youtu.be/iIeAt5invw0

never seen someone miss the point of a genre so much