fucking amazing desu

boring, derivative shit desu

You're the same person to post in the last thread aren't you user

no but I agreed with his opinion

derivative shite

its derivative crap

Derivative garbage

Enjoyable but disappointing.
An abstraction of the last six years rather than an amalgamation.

The reunion albums that preceded this were characterized by a unique flair of exploration within the Swans sonic landscape.

>[(heavy downbeat / sustaining guitar wall sounds / tonal dissonance) + (folk / country / atonality / free improv / crushing grooves / noise)]

This album is none of those things nor is it anything new.

A lot of the particular high points of this album (Cloud of Unknowing / When Will I Return? / title track) end up sounding generally identical with some slightly fleeting small textures, almost too high in the mix to make a substantial distinction between them. It sounds like they're just retreading old ground.

I love it, but it's a completely lateral movement for Swans.

[deleted and reposted b/c fuck a typo]

essential rape core

>This album is none of those things nor is it anything new.

how can you say it has none of those things? it certainly has some of those things

People are incredibly butthurt about the the one section of TGM they re used. Who cares? If you read the interview Gira said it came about organically and he felt he had to include it for the rest of the song. Personally I think it's great. Gira could fart into a mic and it would probably be incredible tbqh.

It's not an extension of the Swans brand the way the other reunion albums have been thus far.
>[(heavy downbeat / sustaining guitar wall sounds / tonal dissonance) + x
The Glowing Man is just a re-emphasis of the tropes that have characterized their sound since the reunion.

Anyone that's listened to any of Swans output from this decade will know what to expect.

I'm not saying that's inherently bad or that I didn't enjoy it; I was just a little disappointed is all.

>Gira could fart into a mic and it would probably be incredible tbqh.
fanboys...

cringe

this is how you defend the album?

>Gira said it came about organically and he felt he had to include it for the rest of the song

how does this make sense if they "re-used" something?

?????????

does there exist a rip without the watermark or whatever?

Third 10/10 album in a row from Swans
Goddamn it Gira you did it again

Love every song

He's right.

3/5

trips confirm

Worth seeing Swans live?

no

Shit really?
I'm not even a big fan but part of me feels like I'd miss out since they're coming to my town and it's only $20 a ticket.

idk i havent actually seen them before lol

Yeah they're great. Saw em last on the to be kind tour and it was a super cool live show. Loud though, bring earplugs. Gira comes out after the show and shakes hands and signs merch which is cool. Fun show would see again

it was okay. to be kind was a lot better though.

so is there a FLAC rip of CD or what?

This is one of those "it's bad because of their previous effort" cases.

When directly comparing it to TBK, which is kinda justified since they're so alike, it kinda feels like TGM is a somewhat less engaging part 2 of TBK.

On it's own it's a pretty decent record, probably a really strong 8/10, but in the shadow of TBK, I will say it's a 7/10, but I can see why some would rate it 6/10, if the "derivativeness" of it means that much to them.

I'm glad this is the last record for this iteration of Swans. They're ending it after what is arguably one of the strongest trilogies this decade has seen so far.

it's nice

it was great

It's actually not exactly the same, it has a few slight tonal changes and the guitar chords in the back a of mix are more upfront in TGM compares to BTS, where they get drowned out by the thumping bass. The Glowing Man and Frankie M are two of the best tracks to come out of this incarnation of Swans, I don't know how people could disagree, the album overall is more organic and progresses rather naturally. It's a solid 9/10 for me, I enjoy it more than The Seer and To Be Kind at the moment.

Still haven't listened.
I just haven't had the time.
Nice get, by the way.

What are you talking about?

If you saw them live last year, you would understand. They don't make music the same way other artists do. They continually restructure and expand songs as they play live. they decided to mix in Black Hole Man with Bring the Sun, a la the way they did The Seer/Toussaint/Oxygen, that one tour, and found that they couldn't separate the two. Be happy that it isn't the same exact song, at least.

10/10 AOTY

Not as good over all as To Be Kind but it has some of the best monents of Swans. I especially like the use of female vocals on this album. They add an organic and very powerful feel to the music. (I'm thinking of CoU, F M., TGM, F,P.)

I love how rich the orchestration is. The songs require multiple listens before they totally unfold, there are many "hidden" instruments here and there, so don't judge them after a single listen. The album also seem to have a natural progression in it self, the songs flow very well together. While TBK felt like a collection of songs, TGM is more of a complex album experience in my opinion.
The only song I don't like is People Like Us. It's kinda cheesy actually.

Loved it, quite a bit of groove flowing out of the album which surprised me
youtube.com/watch?v=_sFB-zyT8xM&feature=youtu.be&t=10m4s

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/swans-glowing-man

It was perfect as a final album for 2010s Swans.

Next iteration will be something different.

>first two paragraphs of a music reviews talk about Beyonce and rape
it's another social justice shitfest pretending to be a "music review" site that doesn't review music but reviews news and "muh deep meanings"
Nothing to see here

Did anyone who preordered the album with the Gate back in like October get an email or anything telling them that TGM shipped? because I haven't and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have received one or not

I'm liking it so far and I think it will grow on me. Definitely not as good as To Be Kind but I doubted they'd be able to top that.

7-8/10 good shit

9.5/10, parts remind me of something Mikey would have slipped onto Soundtracks For The Blind back in the 90's. He definitely finished everything he started with Swans on this album. Next iteration of Swans will be something completely different.

I just got mine in the mail today, no shipping notice

Preordered the CD with The Gate way back last fall, Gira fuckin sent me two copies lol

8:30-ish in The World Looks Red/Black sounds like Talking Heads desu

Dubs for two copies of The Glowing Man

Also I only know realized that he's writing '16 as well

Saw em 2 years ago or so and I didn't like it.
Contemplating on giving them a chance again in October.