/daily/ - Pizza edition

It's the 9th of February

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, eat pizza, don't crap a castle, just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>the new topsters
topsters.net/
>also working (but for how long?)

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>new plug.dj room now that it appears to work again

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension of bad choices and silent regret (aka "taste")

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our Skype group if you're interested.
>ha skype oh wow

Most importantly, get anchovies!

previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10510424
twitter.com/AnonBabble

haha o wow

Maybe we should move to the thread next to ours desu.

i fix

Snerk, that was mine

Sorry for not letting your pig thread stay up. I just want to keep Fish's butthole safe.
So it really is a /daily/ thread...

Does this mean /daily/ are part of a conspiracy to take over Sup Forums?

Obviously. It is consistently the best thread.

lmao it's fine dude, I'm not butthurt about a thread.
Better to keep fish from stringing a long one!

Hey ImposterTuco I want in ur tourney gimme gimme :0

yeh i'm REALLY fucking smart, watch out

I guess I don't care anymore if you fuckers know where I live.
Queen's University, Kingston ON

Hmm. /daily/ controls Sup Forums when?
I hope he appreciates my effort to keep his butthole a nice place.

That's a happy pigger. I wish I was that pigger.

Guess about my personality because I'm self-centered

Pepperoni is good pizza

I mean, Technomalaser *claimed* it but he hasn't recced yet

*rec the album dood

Here we go!

You're not that overweight but you're still sensitive about your weight.
Some might even call you
.....a pig

NEW JAMBINAI
A O T Y
CALLING IT NOW

You're angry at the bourgeoisie.

John Gilmore is fucking great.
I wish he recorded more outside of Sun Ra, although I guess I can't complain considering that's already like 1000 albums.

A more determined version of me might try to clutch Sun Ra but I think that's a little ambitious.

Listening to Sleeping Beauty now *(oo)*

also capcha was pizza, thought I screenshotted it : (:) (

I'll rec Via Combusta by Massimo Pupillo and Chris Corsano (I've only heard the first track but it was pretty good so I hope you'll like it) if I'm not too late already

How do you feel about the production of Strictly Personal?
The wew psychedelics really put me off and I almost can't look past it, although I do think it's a good album.
Shame what they did to that album, drives me fucking bonkers when creative control is thwarted by the industry.

sorry Terts, gotta give it to Tech, I did promise him a spot

:'^) no pain

>Swans - The Glowing Man

The Glowing Man is the final movement of Michael Gira’s post-reformation symphony (in D major, all the songs rely on it a bit too much). There is a definite logical sense in the record. The albums all share the same carcass which is Michael Gira’s acoustic guitar 2 or 3 chord structures. The studio and live treatment takes these songs and blows them completely out of proportion in terms of orchestration.

The opening half of the album is interesting to discuss because to me it felt very free-form. I didn’t get this feeling from the earlier reformation albums. Maybe even partially lost. I don’t think they fleshed out the ideas introduced during the live transmutations of the previous tour. I can see how one could prefer their Swans this way, but some sections didn’t feel quiet right. The opening track of The Glowing Man entitled Cloud Of Forgetting, for example, felt extremely underwhelming. I’m not speaking about how Swans should be rough and aggressive all the time, escalating in crescendos. I just felt like the progression was lost. It went towards nothing at all and wasn’t thought out all that well.

Cloud Of Unknowing started off with the Okkyung Lee’s stabs on her cello. I always appreciate playing like this and I definitely did so here as well. The problem is that certain elements of the intro here just sounded like cut up sections of Just A Little Boy. You can clearly hear it in Mr. Hahn’s lap steel and in Thor’s plucked self-made violin. Once the main progression gets my attention 6 minutes in, I sort of forget about the previous incarnation of the track because the hypnotic Swans effect is in action. A repetitive bass line with thorns around it in the shape of Gira’s manic howls and the rest of the band members supporting his ascend. It occurs 10 minutes in (the drum chaos sounds like it was taken straight from The Apostate) and it’s mildly satisfying. The following sound firing also sounds like something straight from The Seer’s title track (again, the D chord struck again and again). What’s unexpected is the classical acoustic guitar section. Now this sounded amazing. Not as amazing as the bass line that brings the track back on the rapid road to ascension. This section, once again, a very free form element. Usually they went into such explorations on 3-4 tracks of the reunited trip. It is satisfying but lost at the same time. They finalize with a switch akin to the “I love you too much” section of The Seer but with no groove. Just hazy cuts of the strings. Michael delivers litanies of Jesus, monster eaters and zombies.

The World Looks Red/The World Looks Black is a more interesting track. Repetition is once again in place, but this time the main core is in a repeating melancholic piano note progression. It is all set to a krautrock-y back up and Mr. Gira’s reciting his ancient lyrics he let Thurston Moore take all this time ago. The guitar here sounds a bit off and the track itself feels a bit too self-indulgent. The formula used by Gira on the previous albums was usually dependent on something really catchy, whether it was the hook or the riff. Can’t hear anything that catches my attention (and I’m giving it all I have) for too long. Once it switches to the second section, it reminded me a little bit of Waters-era Pink Floyd but with a stronger swing. The World Looks Black is great. Piano roars, brass shouts and a reprisal (at least in my opinion) of No Words/No Thoughts with the lyrics. The chants were nice too. I did like the ending, sounding like a haste awakening. Moments like this are godly but in the back of my head I had a feeling that Michael decided to include a little bit too much into a single track. I did enjoy it though.

Side A ends with a standard post-reformation breather in a form of a short acoustic ballad with pretty orchestrations. Classic Gira-esque lyrics (rusty clouds, bones dust, bruised sky, etc.) delivered by Mean Monster Mike with his wife doing back up vocals. This one sounds like a goodbye from the opening lines and is somewhat sad.

Side B opens with the standard TBK tour opener: Frankie M. Frankie M live has been one of my two favourites and I don’t think it disappoints here. The drone intro from the live shows is reworked here with a choir (or just Jenny Gira’s reverberated vocals) smothered next to Westberg’s guitar feedback gushing out. The build up starts here. Gira joins, Thor and Phil start stroking their cymbals, Norman and Christoph drain their feedback onto everyone, Christopher plays a slow and a mellow note over and over and over again. They switch to wave delivery of this potion after the 6th minute until they hit you straight to the face with the main build up riff on the 8th minute. This has been one of the most satisfying moments of the live shows and of the record here as well. It imprints into your brain with this constant repetition, very reminiscent of the way the intro to Bring The Sun did. I like the small variation in which Norman brings in a bit of his overdriven Telecaster tone right before Michael plays the main riff. F#m-Bm if I remember correctly. I like the way they treated the percussion in the studio with the metronome. I think it sounds great, even though the slight rise of tempo takes away an element of melancholy, especially in Michael’s almost “cheerful” delivery (drugs are bad). Not a big fan of the “pam-pam-pam” thing once the “butterflies” part kicks in but I don’t mind it all that much. The final guitar clash is neat. For the most part, I am satisfied with this track.

When Will I Return is another acoustic breather but fully delivered by Jennifer Gira. From what I remember it was written for her too. It was previewed on The Gate and it sounds fairly similar to the studio version. Simple, lavished with different instruments and expanded into a Gira-supported coda. The layered keyboards/guitars on this one sound fantastic. Pretty sure this is Bill Rieflin’s contribution.

The title track follows. It went through 2 name changes and different live arrangement ideas but what we get on the final version is different. The 2 section track is broken into 3 now.
The first section is fuelled by Gira throat singing, a steady guitar strum and a completely new lyrical segment. It starts with a description of a man who seems to be part everything. Go-getter, heart-breaker, etc. - just a man of many faces.
The second section takes the man and brings him to enlightenment/destruction/ascent/whatever you want to call it. Let’s just say a major shift happens. What else could you establish this with other than the reprise of To Be Kind’s Bring The Sun. Now with more pace and Jennifer Gira! I think it is just as good as the original. Just as important too. This D-chord obsession relives another moment of vitality. It ends up in a total, cacophonous chaos and a set of punching crescendos but with more character added by Christopher’s killswitch usage and Norman’s clean guitar stabs.....

The third section is what I was waiting for. One of Swans’ most aggressive bass lines kicks the groove off into the monster that is The Glowing Man. A man, once everything, turns into nothing. Gira indulges into talking about “Joseph” that is Gira’s inner demon. The demon that extracts all the light and all there is to remove from the inners of Gira to the point where he glows with nothingness and floats. What a fantastic section! The best part of this track is the noise blasts after each Gira phrase. During live performances it was one of the most satisfying things I have ever seen in a live setting. Him just standing there and raising his hands, as though calling out the hounds of anger from both sides. Norman and Christoph unleash them. Worked well in the live setting, works just as well in the studio version. This IS war. The sound is relentless and powerful. The closing section ends with a small reprisal of the live guitar shockwaves and a choral performance.

The final track on the album, “Finally, Peace” is a very soft pop song. All the harshness from the previous song is gone and we’re left with a Gira family duet. It’s pretty and I think it is appropriate for this iteration of Swans to end on a soft note rather than a pummelling title track.

What is really great about the final testament of this line up is the idea of reoccurence. I have mentioned those several elements, all mostly connected to rehashing the song formula Michael Gira incorporated for this reunion Swans line up. The D-chord might be the fault of Christoph Hahn’s tuning, but the thread is nice in a way. From the other perspective, of course, a lot of it is just recycling because they reached their potential as a unit. I’m glad they’re dismantling the current line up. I think it is for the best of all the members.

Now I do have a comment about Gira’s lyrics. While I do enjoy some of them on the record, I constantly had this feeling as though Michael’s fascination with certain topics has reached a level of certain self-parody. Especially his talk about Jesus. I understand that it’s a common theme and almost an emblem of the spiritual ascent this album represents, but I just couldn’t shake this feeling.

It’s a good album but I don’t really like it as much as I would expect. John Congleton did a good job here just like he did on To Be Kind but some of the tracks were a little bit too hard to restrain with his production techniques and instrumentations. I think certain elements would require the grit and the dust from The Seer’s production for example. Pristine cleanness worked well for To Be Kind, but the moments when Swans turn into an ambient bulldog just feel weak.

Regardless of this all, it was good. I liked it. It might grow on me like My Father… did. I might reevaluate my thoughts on it eventually.

I wonder what Gira will do next.

7/10

This was a long car ride, sorry for the size of this review.

Nice review
but where's the mention of the Larkin accusations!?!?!?

"haha"

You're living on it.

damn...

whats you are favorite swannes album
mine is pic along with white light
90s swans best swans
makes u think

I like Swans are Dead personally, although Children of God comes really close followed by Cop
of the revival albums, probably The Seer, although Glowing Man is giving it a run for it's money

good review, first tripfag in about 6 months that I won't filter

Is that the hammer he kills people with
Also, thanks for listing your Jandek , I'll have to try for a YouTube playlist or something

SFTB, no doubt

/daily/ BTFO

>I think it is just as good as the original.
oh, so not good at all, right?
Bring the Sun was a huge buzzkill among the gems in that album. Starts off too heavy to carry any momentum. Like an anchor weighed ship.

>My father grew on me
Would you like to talk about it?
No one here will judge you.

mine is Chilluns of God
but I haven't heard STFTB, Swans are Dead, the rabbit albums, TBK or Public Castration

it's from Not Here/Not Now cover

Hope you find these Jandek songs!
>Bring the Sun was a huge buzzkill among the gems in that album. Starts off too heavy to carry any momentum. Like an anchor weighed ship.
It's my favorite on the album. Probably my top 3 in their reunion run.
;^)

>he hasn't heard the best swans albums
Which are SFTB, white light, public castration and swans are dead
I don't listen to it as often as I'd like because I only do it at night in the dark and at times it's really scary.

off for the flight, peace /memers/!

CoG > STfB > TBK > Cop > else

i always thought the Seer was a spoopy album with the cover and all.

may /daily/ be with you

bad choices save for sftb to be honest friend
Nah, it's somewhat dark and has some 20 and 30 minute songs with a lot of repetition but it doesn't seem to have demons inside like SFTB.

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
if they lay off the distortion this'd be pretty good
Not a fan of J Mascis' vocals on this
Poledo threw me for 6, it's a great track, more like this.

Radiohead - Amnesiac
I've decided that bleep bloop Radiohead is best Radiohead, it feels right, more vital, more innovative, fitter, happier, more productive
That being said, I don't love love Radiohead, sometimes Thom's voice annoys me, and the semi whiney sadness of it all isn't for me

Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements
This starts off slow and finishes great
Jenny Ondionline is a 10/10 track, it's fucking great
the Kreautrock influences are strong and immediately apparent, it's pretty refreshing to hear it pulled off so well like this

what next

fly safe doggy
hope you don't sit beside a fatty

nick cave and the cavemen

Good job not falling for the indie distortion meme

Ples do Desertshore, It's a short album too

do Evol, Washing Machine, Bringing it All Back Home, Fear of Music, Goat, Insignificance, Piper , and The Mollusk soon pls

Smile sessions!
I liked that Dino Jr album, if anything the distortion only added for me but it's been a while since i've heard it. could be on your side after relistening

Might start doing a thematic chart because why not.
I'll put in a couple things myself but I'll have some spots open.
What are some albums that you like a lot but can't explain why?

Skinny as fuck man

Pretty much

While the cliché psychedelic tropes are annoying, they're not as as bad as everybody makes them out to be, and I can easily look past them.

Sonic Youth - Evol

One of their best!

The Residents - Eskimo
I really have no idea why I enjoy this album its almost ambient but it's not and I can't articulate why it's good

Ulver - Bergtatt
Michael Gira - Drainland
Lee Noble - No Becoming
in that order

Some brand new shit to listen to (besides Swans, for whatever reason they weren't on AllMusic's list), for those who are interested

where do you think you are
(might be because of the grimm controversy, what a shame)

first impressions are really good, sounds kind of Christmas caroly

Nice, it's kind of mythical and renaissance-y in the same way Joanna Newsom is, albeit completely different.

Also when you listen to Songs of Leonard Cohen be sure to pay attention to the lyrics and paint images in your head along with it, if you backround it and give it a "bretty boring 3/10" I will rage something fierce.

any one if we rly get down to it, lol
but especially pic related

Could not in a million years explain why I love this so much. But damn if I don't.

hello /daily/

If you like jazz, and semi-structured threads for talking about your reactions to music then you should check out the /BLINDFOLD TEST/ threads that go on every week.

Pic related. most of the band's output is fairly standard synth pop with a vocalist who sounds to some people horribly bored, but there's just a genuinely kind quality to their music that i can't get over.

And what exactly is that? Reverse search brings up Shuttershock orange wallpapers and textures.

Waddup /diary/, just spend a week and a half in Spain spending all my saved up bux on wine and aged hams, it was good. Woman In The Dunes is also good, tip tier movie, recommended.

>6 for dinosaur jr
my man, horribly overpraised album

Sure, now that it's summer I have more free time. I'll listen to the list sometime today so I'll probably be there tomorrow. I've heard like 10 prestige albums though.

Blanch Blanch Blanch - Songs Of

No-wave Swans is worst Swans. Fight me.

you're right tho

but it's neofolk swans

Haha

Yes I know but these people like opinions and stuff...

why is jim o`rourke is so good lads

Yes.

kys

no u

rad photo, would hang out/10

Thanks for having my back herb!!!

On it :lerudiface:

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Some really great lyrics on this thing, it's really bluesy as well in a way that is catchy
It's Dylan upbeat which is odd to hear
It kind of falls apart towards the middle, although it picks up again in the last 3 tracks, but it's not something that I feel I could return to, sure the lyricism is great but beyond that there's nothing really there to grab me
First three tracks are brilliant though, nearly untouchable

Nico - Desertshore
Some really grand but restrained folk
Got a strange combination of sounds where it feels like minstrel music but also like something a street musician out of the late 19th early 20th century might play, really sombre and droney but also medieval, hard to describe
Feels like funeral music almost, kinda dour, but really quite beautiful as well
I'll have to re-visit this one

The Even Oxes cassette has officially been ordered

#hype

strawpoll.me/10510424

two more!

>Sophia - Fixed Water

I don't really have much to say about this one. kind of painfully generic. has no personality to it. feels like a caricature of a slowcore album.

>S - I'm Not As Good at It As You

pretty sure this is only tagged slowcore due to it's association with Carissa's Wierd. even then, I never felt that their later stuff was really slowcore either. that isn't to say that this release is bad though. quite the opposite. it has the magic of Carissa's Wierd later albums. and I can't get enough of that. lyrics aren't as good though.

Night /daily/

Olivia Tremor Control, Built to Spill, and Yo La Tengo are probably my favorite that you have left on that chart. maybe check those out next?

come plug if yr alone on a friday night

>rudi's delinquent twin

Art of Fighting - Wires
Grace Cathedral Park - In the Evenings of Regret

its decent for the most part, nothing really stands out besides filth and s/t
that stretch from tbw to tga is really bad tho [except for white light]

cant wait to buy one

>rudi's delinquent twin
lol

>Everything has one vote

We did it /boyz/

Thanks
Also I'll join in a min, have to finish stupid year evaluation first, but I'm all for sync and everything that isn't plug.

nobody's in sync tho.....................

they're using plug the plebbes

I knew a guy who was dyslexic, but he was also cross-eyed, so everything came out right

>when plug is down
:///

Has anyone listened to this

probably

early last post
goodbye thread
daily is over