Steve Albini on the biggest mistake producers often make

Steve Albini on the biggest mistake producers often make
"Songs fading out at the end. This is the absolute sloppiest and half ass way to finish off a track or album. Would an author write a book where the words get smaller and smaller at the end until they are illegible? Of course not."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v4wuV14QlNM
youtube.com/watch?v=oDAVTw86H9E
youtube.com/watch?v=t0xitQKNsQY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hate him so much

Gustav Holst sure was a hack.
youtube.com/watch?v=v4wuV14QlNM

I'd rather have every song have a minute long fadeout than feature production from this hack. 90's alt rock sounds so fucking bad.

I think he means fade out in that sense that you can hear the band playing but the volume just goes down, not in the sense that the instruments slowly but naturally die down. Fade-outs in classical music for example are perfectly OK.

hiring Steve Albini holds the title of biggest mistake already, sorry m8

why is steve albini getting hate? i love his production

He's not wrong

oh so THAT'S where this meme comes from

seems we get a greentext >fadeouts [insert reaction image here] thread every day

wondered who started that bullshit

i wonder what he thinks dub sounds like
>would you suspend drummers from long cables and have them swing around the arena? of course not

I kind of agree though
I mean a proper fade out is cool, but a fade out where everybody is still playing and the sound guy just turns down the whole mix is fucking lame and totally unmusical

I much prefer a hard unexpected stop from all players

>Would an author write a book where the words get smaller and smaller at the end until they are illegible
That sounds kinda cool though Steve. I could see that working out.

>Hey guys let's just end the song right as the chorus is starting
Probably the worst case of this

fuck this rockist idiot

>the biggest mistake producers often make
bar none, the worst mistake is the use of compression on otherwise finished tracks to make them sound "louder." It's half of the reason why there are so many hipsters that think vinyl is inherently better than digital sound files.

I think it's pretty silly to say that any musical trope is objectively bad. Things can be done right, and done wrong. Most people use fade-outs wrong, but there are situations in which it would be perfectly appropriate to use a fade-out tastefully.

MUH KEROSENE

MUH SPAGHETTI RECIPES ON MUH BLOG

MUH AHHHHHH GUY FIERI MAKES ME SO MAD

this guy fucking sucks

every production he does is jsut the same tinny garbage sound

this
pic related does it very well to end (on the non-japanese version at least)

>Would an author write a book where the words get smaller and smaller at the end until they are illegible? Of course not.
Well, no, because authors are writing fucking books, not recording music. Comparing them like that is retarded.

but it would be a pretty cool idea, i think

Do you want to get btfo again, tripfuck?

The fadeouts on Pet Sounds directly contradict this statement

Yeah I think he's referring to rock and pop music producers

Still And he wonders why none of the humans take him with them from the pound. #albineo

Best album ending sounds thread?

My bet is MDK.

youtube.com/watch?v=oDAVTw86H9E

That's a retarded comparison, if that's an actual quote.

Albini himself put a whole lot of fade-outs on The Great Pacific Ocean by Thrush Hermit in like 1996. That was when he was producing non-stop too, and not so much a celebrity producer like today.

Fade-out sucks when I create charts for Guitar Hero-like games.

exactly this man, such a pain in the ass especially when there's other sounds past the fade out, or like one instrument is still playing at full volume

My favorite is Marvin Gaye trolling Berry Gordy at Hitsville on the Single Version of "What's Going On"

Gordy was a control freak that wanted ALL the Motown singles to fade out neatly at the end. Marvin Gaye trolled him by including a fake fade that jumped back up to max volume at the end of the song as a sort of "fuck you" to Gordy.

youtube.com/watch?v=t0xitQKNsQY

Based Marvin

i get that steve, but ending all my songs in washes of amp feedback and improvised guitar/studio noises makes me feel like all my songs end the same way

you can tell the engineer realized the song was getting too long for 60s radio so he started fading out right at the best part
thats true, like every song on that fades out except for caroline no i think, with the dog and train sounds

he's right. it's what makes pet sounds almost unlistenable

Depends of the song really. Sometimes it feels amazing, other times it feels like a lazy way to end the song.

HouseOfLeaves.rtf

Hes wrong again.

is a bad book. Fucking gimmicky trash that evokes 0 emotion

He's fucking right. This almost ruined half the songs on Souvlaki. It's infuriating.