youtube.com/watch?v=mYSZtBTJIn8
youtube.com/watch?v=dW0JjfqR1-s
youtube.com/watch?v=vVsOLehJVmg
youtube.com/watch?v=pGug6jdQRfg
youtube.com/watch?v=CWNDW5KtiKk
youtube.com/watch?v=g1jOpwexf5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

did he died?

Why would you subject him to the torture of being in the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Have some compassion and let him do what he wants to do.

>still in his edgy LE RHCP SUCK XD phase
You'll grow out of it

>implying they haven't been shit since the early 90s
You should grow out of your pleb opinions you fucking mouthbreather.

Well, he did die inside when he got divorced.

>liking rchp
you'll grow out of it

Hi dad

Who said they suck? Frusciante just fucking hated touring and got tired of not doing his own shit. It was torture to him.

>implying this isn't the pinnacle of music
youtube.com/watch?v=NjfZ_bYQ6GQ

Hello Ross

>RHCP are insane Funk/Punk band
>frusciante joins and makes a few good albums
>then he turns them into adult-contemporary/alternative/soccer mom rock
>people bash the band but claim john was the only good member
>he's what made them shit

Fuck Frusciante and fuck your shitty ignorant opinions. Hillel Slovak was the fucking man and shits on John's guitar skills.

Fuck you faggot John made way better shit on his own than he ever has with the peppers
A Sphere in the Heart of Silence is fucking amazing

It's not. Warm Tape is though.

Same the chili peppers just aren't the same without him

This is wrong just because we didn't get to see Hillel Slovak's full potential.

Scar Tissue and Soul to Squeeze are the only good songs released when Frusciante was a part of the band. His solo stuff ranges from good to great though, and I fucking love his work with the Mars Volta.

Slovak made some cool albums with the band, but it's fucking retarded to pretend that Frusciante is less proficient than him.

If that's the case we didn't Frusciante's either. The dude quit the band and became a reclusive heroin addict for like 7 years and when he re-joined his guitar playings skills were nowhere near how they were on the first two RHCP albums.

Just watch videos of John in the Mother's Milk days. The dude was on another level, especially for being a fucking teenager. He had even considered auditioning for Zappa but didn't like the no drugs ideology he had.

But let's be real. Frusciante at 18-22 was better than Slovak in his mid 20s. He was great though, and John definitely took inspiration from him but if the two could have been pitted against eachother in a guitar battle John would have outplayed him.

>Slovak made some cool albums with the band, but it's fucking retarded to pretend that Frusciante is less proficient than him.
Frusciante could play faster and probably knew more theory. But Slovak's approach was more unique. His inspirations were all over the map and his tones more diverse. John was basically just doing a really good Hendrix impersonation with The Chili Peppers with more Funk thrown in. Hillel was way more Psychedelic and into weird sounds as well as being Bluesy and Funky.

I was gonna argue against this but I really can't. They didn't make shitty ballads before John joined and they haven't had any massive annoying hits since he left.

That being said Frusciante is still a better guitarist than Klinghoffer.

youtube.com/watch?v=mYSZtBTJIn8

For the faggots here who don't know the true Chili Peppers sound.

>1:09-1:15
>tfw the music of vintage RHCP can fuck your GF harder than you ever will
>tfw your woman's sexual desires will never be as fulfilled by you as much as they can be by Hillel's riffs

Why live senpai?

now this is edge

Damn pewdiepie had a crazy life.

This is fucking awful. I'll take By The Way over this trash any day

Yeah you probably would you nu-male piece of trash

>Yeah you probably would you nu-male piece of trash
>buzzwords memes buzzwords buzzwords
Embarrasing. Here you go, an actual masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=dW0JjfqR1-s

>yawn
Predictable Pop song. At least their 80s stuff was unique. I'll take music with passion and energy over boring and lifeless Pop any day thanks.

Ovverrated? maybe, but RHCP would have been nobodies without his work through the 90s.

Slovak dying was best for them, monetarily, maybe not musically.

iunno he is prettty shite in comparison to Fruiscantes play

>Xd you are le cuck my sir if you don't like this lame totall rip off of Kashmir with Keidis's always underwhelming lyrics and green Flea my dude

kys

Well this is pretty unique and passionate.
youtube.com/watch?v=vVsOLehJVmg
True art. Just admit that Frusciante is a genius musician, Hillel Slovak was a great guitar player but an amateur musician next to John.

Sounds like something my mom would like. Thanks user.

fuck i Meant Immigrant Song.
It sounds like that with a recall than a different key

John is a more prolific songwriter but not a better musician than Slovak. Slovak actually had some originality to his playing. Frusciante was good for basic Funk rhythms and did a solid Hendrix impersonation.

>something something incomprehensible LED ZEP RIP OFF

Yeah shut up. Great babby's first music analysis

In other Words

Slovak is the better musician, John the better guitar player

Slovak had the higher ceiling

>Slovak is the better musician, John the better guitar player
Switch it around dumbfuck. Slovak never even wrote a good melody

This. Although he did write almost everything on By The Way

youtube.com/watch?v=pGug6jdQRfg
This is like that early noise shit RHCP you love so much, except with better musicianship

>Slovak is the better musician, John the better guitar player
I was saying the opposite though.

John has done more, made more music and been a prolific songwriter. But when it comes down to their guitar playing Frusciante is kinda dull compared to Slovak.

I'll concede Frusciante was pretty awesome when he first joined RHCP during the Mother's Milk era. But he didn't progress.

>if you don';t like this really underwhelming track you know nothing of music

k

nice

>early noise shit RHCP
Ok grandma

>if your best criticism of a track is that it sounds loosely like a led zeppelin song then you know nothing of music

Fixed it for you m8

Also the fact that you just replied with "k" tells me you're underage so plz go.

>But he didn't progress.
To me he matured as a guitar player if anything. Can't be doing dive bombs and feedback notes forever, his playing become more melodic and understated

His songwriting progressed. His guitar playing became dull and stale. He clearly lost his skills after being a reclusive heroin addict for over half a decade.

His solos on the last few RHCP albums were all so maddeningly simple and even wanky but in the opposite of a Steve Vai/Satriani way. He would just hit like 3 or 4 notes really fast.

Also his playing during the MM era wasn't all dive bombs and feedback.

> best criticism of a track is that it sounds loosely like a led zeppelin song then you know nothing of music

I said it was underwhelming, Hillel has definitely done better than that. the whole, the main riff sounds like Immigrant Song was just a jab, though Jimmy Page probably stole that one too, so its whatever

God forbid you don;t live in a fucking echo chamber.

How college freindo?

I guess it would be underwhelming if you view the peppers as a modern alt pop band. But sorry to say they were once a genuine Rock band with a unique sound and intense energy that were more about a great performance than making sure every note was perfect.

>How college freindo?
>implying I would waste money on that scam
Sure it would be better than middle school tho. :^)

>His solos on the last few RHCP albums were all so maddeningly simple and even wanky but in the opposite of a Steve Vai/Satriani way. He would just hit like 3 or 4 notes really fast.
This solo at the end is brilliant, even though it's only a few notes, I know this sounds retarded but it's what I consider a soulful guitar solo
youtube.com/watch?v=CWNDW5KtiKk

>I guess it would be underwhelming if you view the peppers as a modern alt pop band.

But i don't like i said Hillell era Peppers were better than that, i just didn't like that song you autist.

However i do prefer about everything up to about BSSM than their first albums

It's not horrible. But would have been better if he had let loose. Sounds like he's restraining himself way too much. It's not BAD. It's just not living up to it's potential. Especially for such a solid song.

>i just didn't like that song
You tried to push BTW era songs on me and claimed Hillel stole from Zeppelin

You are scum now stop trying to save face

>not liking all eras of this amazing band

Seriously why must you have this "original must be better" attitude when it comes to this sort of thing? You keep claiming old RHCP was original and unique but how are is their modern stuff any less unique? What other bands sound like them today?

Honesetly I would say they were LESS original back then. Bands like Fishbone and Defunkt or even Gang of FOur were already mixing Punk and Funk before they did.

the point of bringing up BTW was that it was when RHCP got tame as fuck.

TameRHCP>lameRHCP

>mad a good guitarist stole from one of the most prominent music theifs around
people borrow all the fucking time, its only bad when they either take something good and make it shit, or rip it off completely
this was a case of the former

honestly this too desu. Why i'm not big on freaky styley.

for me it's not like they got bad, just more tame. They already peaked, but that doesn;t mean they are now flatlining

>TameRHCP>lameRHCP
>Why i'm not big on freaky styley.
>doesn't like No Chump Love Sucker
>claims to like Hillel era

So like what? Half of UMPP? It's pretty clear you're lying about half the shit you say.

go to bed autismo

We can all agree that current RHCP are complete fucking trash. Like him or not, Frusciante carried them for almost a decade. Without him they are nothing.

>knows what he's talking about
>must be autistic
Nice buzzword there m8.

What's the point of comparing two guitarrists?

Had Slovak not been kill i doubt they'd ever have risen like they did at all. John carried em through the 90's. They likely would have drowned either trying to go more grunge or get drowned out next to its fanatic rise. that or get killed off by late 90s trash alt.

Have you listened to The Getaway? It's damn good. Freshest they've sounded since BTW.

Does anyone else think it's interesting that Josh Klinghoffer is to John Frusciante what John Frusciante was to Hillel Slovak?

John basically worshipped Hillel and learned all of his guitar parts and wanted to be him. Josh was a friend of John's who worked on a lot of John's solo work, admired him and worked closely with him. And then John basically passed the torch onto Josh.

It's not a 100% comparison but I always thought it was interesting that John shadowed Hillel and was replaced by Josh, who shadowed him.

John has talent though

Frusciante>Slovak>>>>>>>>>Navarro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kiedis playing rhythm guitar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No guitarist at all>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Klinghoffer

Well my post wasn't really about the talent aspect of it, I just thought it was interesting the cronyism involved in choosing RHCP's guitarists.

John is definitely the most talented though, both in terms of guitar playing and songwriting. He's one of my favorite musicians.

that's a bit dramatic desu

In the sense you described yes. The key difference being that John looked to Hillel almost like an idol or an influence at least. Although I believe they had met and talked at least once they didn't have a relationship. Whereas Josh was a close friend of John's for a long time and had been playing with the band behind the scenes already.

Also I don't think Josh took after John's sound like John did Hillel's. On Mother's Milk it's pretty clear John was trying to fill Hillel's shoes and played really fast and intense Funk. Josh however didn't seem to really try and replicate John's playing OR songwriting.

This is dumb

Yeah this is a good assessment.

Josh isn't that bad fucking hell

yeah, mine too

your opinion is shit and so are you, pleb

I think John's guitar playing abilities peaked around Stadium Arcadium. Californication wouldn't have been as great had he had the same skill from his pre-recluse days. But that being said he quickly regained his skill not long after the Californication tour

being a good musician isn't being about playing 'shredding' or 'over complicated'. Its about creating an atmosphere and as John matured he did it very well. Its what sounds good, not what looks and sounds flashy

>I think John's guitar playing abilities peaked around Stadium Arcadium.
Can't say I agree. I haven't heard anything from him post early 90s that sounds better than his early era with The Chili Peppers.

I suppose I could believe he regained his abilities but just chose to hold back a lot more, but there's no way to really know.

>being a good musician isn't being about playing 'shredding' or 'over complicated'.
I know and I wasn't insinuating that. John was never a shredder and never played anything "over" complicated. His playing was simply more impressive in the MM and BSSM days.

Listen to his solo on If You Have to Ask. It's far more impressive than the kind of solos he did Californication through SA but certainly not over the top. It's very tasteful and melodic but also creative and expressive. It's INTERESTING. A lot of his solos during the BTW or SA era were just a few notes. Sure they created atmosphere and there was nothing wrong with them. But it was a shame knowing that he could do more if he wanted to.

>Listen to his solo on If You Have to Ask. It's far more impressive than the kind of solos he did Californication through SA
Someone hasn't heard "Turn It Again"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijvXDC95mU

Whilst I agree and personally prefer his pre-recluse solos, he still regained his abilities imo, check out that jam, its SA era but its pretty great

That's a great jam, really emotional and intense playing. But still it lacks the playfulness of his earlier stuff. He would really get creative and be all over the fretboard and his playing was much more energetic. He kinda stayed within the same few notes for a lot of that.

Not that that's BAD, but still less impressive IMO.

Wow.

You know I really want to like Josh but watching stuff like this makes me remember why the band is so lacking with Klinghoffer. Watching them jam with him is so dull.

I remember back with IWY came out and the band were doing interviews Josh would claim he wasn't originally a guitarist and when he joined the band he had to go back and really learn the instrument again and it shows.

He's not horrible and he does a nice job playing the classics. But it's clear he's not the songwriter John was and when it comes to soloing/jamming he doesn't have the knowledge John does.

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. I love Californication and BTW, but you can't beat Frusciante's energy pre-recluse

Josh is talented musically but no where near John in terms of technical skill and songwriting. I think Josh is just boring musically, nothing against him but he just doesn't have that 'spark'. I feel like the 'spark' is something you either have or you don't

Californication and By the Way are the best RHCP albums

Great vid, I love John's expression, like he's always in shock of how many people they're playing for.

I actually like what I've heard of Josh's band Dot Hacker. There's some great songs on their debut album so he clearly is a good songwriter. But he's VERY different from John.

But yeah I don't think he was built to be a lead guitarist. The jams he has with the band live are just so dull. He'll just hit one or two chords over and over really fast and rarely goes for a lead. The jams used to be driven by the guitar as well as the bass. Now it's pretty much all about the bass and drums and Josh just kind of tries to keep up with them and stay in key.

I need to check out Dot Hacker. Just feel like Josh doesn't fit in musically with the band, imo.

Completely hypothetical, imagine Noel Gallagher as the Chili Peppers lead guitarist. Would be very interesting to see what they come out with. Would it even work lol?

really...

>noel gayagher

It would be an interesting collaboration

I think it would be much more interesting to see what RHCP would do with a frontman other than Kiedis. From a musical standpoint he's the weakest link of the band anyway.

Interesting, if we were to consider musicians already in the spotlight (past + present), who would be a good replacement?

Hard to say actually now that I think about, Kiedis is tied into their music pretty deeply. I'd love to see what the band could do backing a great female singer. Karen O pops into my mind, mostly because there was just another thread about her, although she is my favorite singer.

My willy and your sisters mouth is an interesting collab fo sho

Maybe Eddie Vedder

Lol I don't think Gallagher with the Peppers would work at all. They've kicked out many musicians for having not gelled with them. They even had a P-Funk guitarist with them for a short time and they still let him go simply because they felt they weren't getting along creatively.

I don't see Noel being very good at jamming... or being interesed in it. Nor being even remotely funky. Also Kiedis said he doesn't like Oasis.

BUT I do think they could write a few decent songs together. Although then again Noel hasn't really been writing the best stuff lately. So I dunno if even that would work.

It would be interesting though that's for sure.

That would probably be interesting.

>who would be a good replacement?
Mike Patton.

Kind of a joke but I think he would genuinely work well with them.

actualy he started to do some nice acid music
youtube.com/watch?v=g1jOpwexf5Y

I don't have a sister

I'm not even sure if he's technically proficient enough on guitar to play some of RHCP songs. He'd struggle with Snow, Under The Bridge (verse with hammer on/pull offs) etc. I don't even think Noel could improvise or jam on the spot either. But yeah, Noel is a talented songwriter and I'd like to see (if they could overcome 'creative differences') what they'd come up with.

Where did Kiedis say he doesn't like Oasis?

Mike Patton was one of the first that came to mind but isn't he just a discount Kiedis?

Yeah it would be interesting to see him try to jam with them. He could probably do some bluesy soloing over a chord progression but I doubt he could come up with any musical ideas.

I read Kiedis' book a few years back and he talked about how in the mid 90s everyone was freaking out about Oasis and how he didn't buy into it at all. He didn't like the music much and felt it was disingenuous because of how Noel and Liam didn't get along and he couldn't understand being in a band with someone you had such huge issues with. SOMETHING along those lines, it's been years since I read it.

meant for

this