Feminist Music

Let's have a thread about music with feminist themes, it could be interesting. We have threads about nazi bands and stuff, so I don't see why we can't have one about feminist bands. Do the politically charged lyrics affect your relationship with the music at all? (either positively or negatively) If negatively where's the line? Is talking about first han experience with sexism okay, but mentioning patriarchy a bit too far? Share some music and discuss!

youtube.com/watch?v=M4KjM2zEj1w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A3YlVYQ0Jbk
feministwarriors.bandcamp.com/album/songs-for-having-feminist-defined-sex-to
archive.org/details/devilscoachwhip
savagewasteland.bandcamp.com/album/voler
youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tell me this is bait, please.

feminism is shit

get ou of here, girl, you are in the wrong place

War on Women is such a shit band.
Their music is bland, generic, and insulting stupid.

ugh....

I actually feel bad for you if you genuinely like this music. Saying it's bad is like calling a literal retard "stupid"

you have to be a hard dumbass or a loveless women to believe in those shit lyrics

Great discussion guys. You know you can post other artists, right? I thought War on Women would be good to start off with because the themes are pretty obvious

Where do you think you are right now.

Just thought it might be a refreshing change from all the radiohead/death grips/whatever indie is popular atm threads we have 24/7. You don't have to agree with feminism as an ideology to discuss music with feminist themes.

>hur dur patrarchy is opressing me, so i will start a shit band with feminist garbage lyrics for girls with psicologic problems and bad criticism
>girrll poower

the problem is in your face

The song I posted just talks about the experience of being raped. It doesn't mention patriarchy once.

Wow you fuckers are really shitty, the previous anti-sjw thread got derailed, now you guys also want to derail this thread.

I'll start with the obvious.

>feminist art
>they dont want to be defined by the fact that they happen to be female
>dumb broads focus on their gender

>You don't have to agree with feminism as an ideology to discuss music with feminist themes
I'm able to completely write off the vast majority of art that has feminist themes -- it's actually pretty easy.

girl, you are not being opressed by the patriarchy system, you are as free as men are, stop believing in all this garbage, just try to see the reality, if women are more opressed, why men suicide more? stop blaming the society because of YOUR mistakes/problems, and you can be a better person. And jesus, go listen to real music

Is this really all that feminist outside of (arguably) American Tune? I know it has a reputation here as being a "big bad SJW album" but I thought is was mostly angsty folk punk?

>""""""""""raped""""""""""

brazilian and european feminist are worse than american feminist

>not knowing how to pluralize
>complete non-sequitor

Do you disbelieve victims of robbery and other crimes as well? Or is it just women who are raped that you think are liars?

youtube.com/watch?v=A3YlVYQ0Jbk

Reactionaries btfo

I post music and discuss when we have white supremacist black metal or nazi punk threads. I even listened to a white power band after the last political punk thread. I don't understand why these guys can't do the same. And like Nazism and white supremacy actually have body counts. Unlike feminism. Prettty sure the right to vote didn't kill any men.

jesus, this is bad

>every 45 seconds, a woman is raped
>our sexist culture allows no escape
>this violent crime is far from obscurity
>when the rate of victims is one in three
HahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's so fucking literal hahahahahahahahaha it's so fucking unbelievably cringeworthy

every place i go there is a retarded girl telling this garbage generic feminist ideas, Sup Forums and other boards are the place were i can scape from all this insuportable shit, so you come here to destroy this? fuck off

you are not changing the society, you are not fighting against the "patriarchy", you are just anoying people with your boring sense of criticism

Whoa buddy, mu is not your safe space. Free speech and whatnot.

rape is a meme tho :l

Yeah, political punk music tends to be like that. It can be a bit much, regardless of the politics, imo

>not knowing what memes are

oh boy

>Do you disbelieve victims of robbery and other crimes as well?
Rape/sexual assault is the most lied about crime.

This is just untrue. I think the rate of false reporting is like 3-5% or something like that? It's no higher than any other crime.

look up riot grrl op. there were some decent 90's bands. that link you posted is absolute trash though

I'm familiar with riot grrl. I was mostly hoping this could be a thread where we post links to songs. Men are waaaaay too sensitive. I thought they'd be rational enough to have this conversation, but most of the responses here are hysterical lol

Crass - Penis Envy

Shut the fuck up. Nobody cares if you're a girl.

>proving my point.

Calm down. Why are you taking things so personally?

>Men are waaaaay too sensitive
You're the one posting music about some bitch whining cuz she got the wrong dick in her butt.

How many indie rock records are posted on a regular basis that are just angsty men whining about nothing? About a million? lol

Why are you so hurt, sweetheart? :^)

Supports my theory that punk has lost all residuals of musicianship or artistry. Without any critics backing it, punk's back to being made by working class people in their off hours.

>literally just copying what I said

>literally having 0 reading comprehension

Fuck off back to/pol/

And they wonder why they can't get girlfriends

dumb agenda beside, the music is boring and generic

I hate women

shut up you dumb cunt I'm married and I think feminism is a load of horshit.

This is great! I am a huge fan of War On Women. Despite what most people think, they actually don't hate men. I was lucky to see them the last time they toured through my city and I got to talk with all of them (minus the drummer) for a while. They are all incredibly nice people. The bass player and I were nerding out over how much we love Latterman. I think it's absolutely hilarious that some people put so much effort into talking shit about bands that they hate. War on Women are definitely a talented bunch

Stop talking, you're getting hysterical. Why don't you come back when you can be more rational?

Fuck this

I'm pretty sure most feminists don't hate men, but after this mess of a thread I think I might be starting too lol

There's nothing inherently bad about the music.

The real problem is they err towards bad music in general, while the neo-nazis and the like tend to choose better musical forms. It's like how christian bands aren't inherently awful they just have a tendency to choose awful trite music to make

Roll

feministwarriors.bandcamp.com/album/songs-for-having-feminist-defined-sex-to

tfw feminism is my fetish

Also hyperkek at the drummer being shown for as little time as possible, poor "ally"

>acid-pop-pop

lol

This genre is gonna be great

>Feminist defined sex
>every song has rape in the title

That sounds about right.

>making rape jokes

Hmmm I wonder why women don't trust men

Seriously, the shit talking is so needles. Two out of the five members are actually men.
For fucks sake, their guitarist, Brooks, told me that they him and their drummer get criticized a lot for being in a band that has a feminist ideology because their critics say that they have been castrated. It's a bit ridiculous

those same women believe men cant be raped

Why the fuck is this a thing again? its not 1994 and Portland. fuck this noise I'm gonna go listen to sleater kinney.

In a movement that treats "allies" as detritus, it kinda is like being castrated.
The male members are shown at a minimum in the video posted, and the majority of fems I know would treat them no better than any other man. That's not to say guys should be fem allies to get better treatment as that leads to insincere support for personal gain. But to actively engage with a group of people that consider you to be, at heart, the problem with the world is pretty fucking bent

But they actually really do hate men. Source being that I've been to college and been around them plus I've been to rallies about equality and shit. It's honestly just noise at this point, I don't know or care about what any of them have to say.

i have to admit the hook on Let's Get Raped is pretty catchy.

I see waaaaay more support for male rape victims coming from feminists than from men

MALE SU PRE MA CY

good album

I don't believe that for a second. I've seen normal regular women be supportive about it but never a feminist.

Alanis Morissette - Amanda Marshall -Avril Lavigne - Celine Dion - Diana Krall - Chantal Kreviazuk - Nelly Furtado - Jann Arden - Holly Cole --

>tfw feminists are normal regular women

For real though, Sleater-Kinney is fantastic

fragile male ego triggurd

>politically obsessed and ready to go ape shit at you over their political and social beliefs for saying anything even slight that triggers them

They're normal in the same way that street preachers or screaming homeless people are.

This album is straight fire. Best track is Teenagers
archive.org/details/devilscoachwhip

ALL THE GIRLS IN HERE POST YOUR FUCKING FEET NOW

kek no

why bother wasting yr time hating on a bunch of crybabies lol no point

This tbqh. Men usually tell them to 'man up' or imply that he enjoyed it.

only after u user

Cool, thanks for sharing the link

pic of yr left nut or gtfo

Teenagers is probably the best song about how fucked up societal expectations for young women are.

Yeah, it was a little too familiar at points

Not a woman, but the part about going to a party and seeing your rapist there and people acting like it's not a big deal is some shit that blew my fucking mind. How someone can hear that song and not empathize with/support the feminist movement is beyond me

Yeah, that was the part that hit me kind of hard. High school was like constant sexual harrassment for me, and none of the other men saw it as a big deal.

I think it's due to the fact that her music is so authentic and dropping with emotion that it doesn't feel like you're just getting bashed in the head with rhetoric, which is how War on Women sounds to me.

>tfw not even listening to the song and already feeling bad feels

I find a lot of political punk can be like that. It's usually something I really have to be in the mood for.

Sorry you had to deal with that all too common occurrence.
If you liked that album, check out this one it's the same person. Big fan of Trust and I Am the Enemy on this one

savagewasteland.bandcamp.com/album/voler

Thank you. I'll make sure to check this out as well :)

I'm a big political punk fan, but I'm more into the diy, lo-fi stuff because it sounds more authentic that way so you can excuse the rhetoric. Also, if you liked Devil's Coachwhip, she's the accordion player and a vocalist in Ramshackle Glory, which is one of my top political punk bands

Awesome, I'll check them out as well

I feel like feminist punk has kind of died down a lot with the rise of queercore and transcore

>tfw all feminist stuff is punk
why can't I have feminist raw black metal? or feminist sludge metal? this shit sucks.

They're sort of related genres. Post some queercore or transcore if you want! :)

I'm sure there's stuff like that out there, but it might be hard to find. Also I can't really see black metal being all that welcoming to women, unfortunately. I would love to hear some feminist black metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

>tfw there are no queer or trans themes, just slowed down nostalgia