Reviews mentioning Larkin Grimm:

Reviews mentioning Larkin Grimm:

consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/album-review-swans-the-glowing-man/

avclub.com/review/glowing-man-michael-gira-caps-swans-golden-age-exp-238074

thequietus.com/articles/20439-swans-the-glowing-man-album-review

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/swans-glowing-man

pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/06/swans-the-glowing-man-review.html

drownedinsound.com/releases/19480/reviews/4150146

Some even go as far as to take it as fact. It is irrelevant to the album. Sure, "When Will I Return" may remind one of the accusation but that is not enough to draw comparisons. It's insensitive of these so-called journalists to mention it.

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's over gira is done for

swans is dead

You're 18 or younger.

What do you expect? These magazines all march in lockstep with one another. They're all a product of the same universities and wimmens studies programs.

We need another gamer gate, this time focused on music journalism.

Also, when the fuck is Bitchfork going to weigh in with their review? Are they gonna do another Sun Kil Moon?

>We need another gamer gate, this time focused on music journalism

do you not realize that is the worst thing that could possibly happen

No we don't, gamergate accomplished nothing. what we need are more people who don't give a shit about reviews. y'all need to get on my level.

Call me a TMT shill or whatever you want, but that review just broached the topic within the "judging the music on its own merit" sort of discussion. The review was focused on the music and generally favorable aside from their not-enough-melodies critique, which was the basis for not giving it a higher score like an 8 or something.

No, we don't need another shitty movement that accomplishes very little in the long run.

The fans will still appreciate Gira's work. These biased reviews only weed out the bandwagon hoppers which is a good thing actually.

And which online mags are worth reading. Any zine that would give a voice to the liar Larkin Grimm is not worth your time.

Yeah we just need Pitchfork to publish Mark Kozelek's sex tape. Then he can sue them out of business.

The Quietus is literally the only online mag worth anyone's time.

This. The Glowing Man is a solid 9/10

I don't read/watch music reviews. I find it utterly pointless.

If you'd read the review from it in the OP, you'd take that back right now.

While the idea of seeing Mark Kozelek naked is horrifying, this would be great and hilarious.

I read it when it came out, she makes the valid point about the difficulty trying to divorce the album from its context.

The only frustration is that she treats the accusations as if they actually had any credibility in the first place, whereas obviously anyone who had actually researched the whole thing would realise that they were clearly the ramblings of a lunatic.

Every site has it's shitty journalists, but honestly, the quality of TQ runs circles around every other online publication.

The fact she mentions it at all is problematic.

By the way is the archive down for you guys? Been away a couple of weeks and just came back and this thread reminded me that the album dropped so i thought i'd give it a listen but the archive doesn't work.

Can't one mention pertinent topics without scoring based off of them?

Up for me... rbt.asia/mu/

Maybe. If the author isn't fucking mentally retarded.
>However unfair it may be, no issue can be excised and considered on its own without the five “If you like this story, you might also like…” links to related stories.
Yeah no, I think I'll ignore everything this cunt has to say about anything

who the fuck is Larkin Grimm

I'm not even defending her, but I don't see your problem with that sentence. Are you taking it out of context or something? She's not obviously not saying that literally.

slandered gira to further her career. she was never charged though.

Doesn't open for me.
I'll try something.

>She's not obviously not saying that literally.
Except she is.

Gamergate accomplished so little it was laughable. It was a great idea and originally had good intentions but they were too focused on being nice that they forgot to actually do anything.

So some nobody talks shit about a well-known and respected musician for notoriety

I bet she had an album coming out or just released when she talked shit too

it wasn't just talking shit, it was a verious serious and criminal accusation

Hopefully the next movement will learn from those mistakes and use absolute cruelty to further its goals.

Sadly, though, I'm not sure anything can be done. Unless you stop it at the source, which is usually university level.

>I bet she had an album coming out or just released when she talked shit too
She did. Plus, she accused someone else of rape who was closer to her at the time and got her shit shut the fuck down by literally everyone else, all of whom called her a consummate liar - but because the Gira accusation was like a last-second addition to her bullshit, nobody bothered to directly address it as opposed to addressing Grimm in general; publications failed to notice this extremely obvious reality, and gave her ludicrous claims a soapbox that it wouldn't have gained otherwise.

But seriously, though. The longer P4K takes to review it, the more likely it'll be a major pan. And I'm guessing right now that it won't even be the major review of the day. They'll probably bury it further down the page and give the main review to some faceless, interchangeable rapper.

Except she isn't, and your reading comprehension is clearly total horseshit. It's a comment on the state of media and art reception in Facebook-times.

Stop trying to defend humanoid cancer.

how the FUCK is stuff like this relevant to the review

>"""music""" journalism

As I said before, I'm not even defending her. I'm calling out your terrible reading ability.

And I think you need to go back to with all this pent up frustration.

>tfw you will never see the young Mark Kozalek nude

who cares

Not only that, but the song was actually about rape too. She clearly planned this all out.

AV Club's review barely even mentions it, come on now.

No, I am not.

It still brings up something that has nothing to do with Swans or Swans' music.

>We need another gamer gate, this time focused on music journalism.

Not only that, but she blamed three members of Heroes are Gang Leaders of raping her as soon as they all were going to kick her out of the band for spreading rumors and lies about all the members to one another. She was trying to use it as a tool to stay in the band. Her accusations against gira are exactly the same: he kicks her out of the label, she accuses him of raping her three or so years before; and she released a song about rape immediately after accusing him.

When people say he raped her and believe it, they're literally retarded. I couldn't believe how many fuck wads I saw on Sup Forums the day TGM came out saying shit about how they hate Gira and how terrible of a person he is, because of an accusation.

Reviews mention things unrelated to the thing being reviewed all the time, why is this one any more heinous than when a pitchfork reviewer mentions some offhand comment someone made about his outfit that day

Guys, civilians are dying in Yemen. Shut the fuck up about some idiotic story.

>you and Young Mark will never get into wacky hijinks

>I couldn't believe how many fuck wads I saw on Sup Forums the day TGM came out saying shit about how they hate Gira and how terrible of a person he is, because of an accusation.
Why would you want to share a fanbase with these "people"? Good riddance.

This is a really fucking stupid argument

an offhand comment someone makes about your outfit is different than publicly affirming a spurious rape accusation made by a mentally ill 'person'

I was originally inclined to believe her but now I'm pretty convinced she lied. Why would she not press charges if she was sure that he did it? Why would she bring up Siobhan only to have Siobhan call her a liar too?

I wish Gira was black, this would be a much more interesting story to read on Sup Forums.

At what point in the avclub review is the accusation affirmed, rather than getting half a sentence of attention to give context before moving on?

Because people who are compulsive liars and narcissists believe everyone will not only believe them with little backup and will rise to their support no matter what.

Sure, but you still look like a fucking idiot for getting worked about music journalism.

>nutjob in asylum mutters to themselves that gira raped them
>nobody so much as hears it
>nutjob outside asylum says that gira raped them
>four people hear it, zero believe it
>nutjob outside asylum posts text online claiming gira raped them, gets huge response and support from the musical community, repeated mention of claim in every subsequent publication about gira
>4,000,000 people hear it, 1/20 believe it

Honestly, I feel for anyone who has to write a review for this album. If you mention the rape case, you're gonna get shit on by the people like the one's that populate this board. If you don't mention the rape case, you're gonna get shit on people on the people from the opposite side. It's a lose-lose situation.

Yeah, I'm planning on reviewing it and I have no idea I'm gonna do. Same with the new Freddie Gibbs. I think I might try totally ignoring it and if someone calls me out then I'll respond by talking about divorcing things from context or something, I dunno.

>you're gonna get shit on people on the people from the opposite side

So? They don't care about music.

I'd not mention it. Let the feminists and SJW scum whine all they want.

>implying people on Sup Forums care about music

another one of Sup Forums's world famous memes!

>It was a great idea and originally had good intentions but they were too focused on being nice that they forgot to actually do anything.
Oh fuck off. GamerGate started with the allegations against Zoe Quinn - those allegations being that she cheated on her boyfriend. The original Gators were so "well intentioned" that they sent her death/rape threats on twitter, hacked a website with nude images of her and distributed them among her family and friends. Literally none of this has anything to do with "ethics in video game journalism."

GamerGate didn't fail because they were too "nice," they failed because they focused 100% of their effort against feminists. They didn't give a shit about shady practices at GameSpot or IGN, they cared about opinion pieces that women wrote on gaming blogs and feminist youtube videos. When they weren't spamming negative reviews for games for having trans characters, they were sending nasty tweets to women on the internet. No one took them seriously for the exact opposite reason of being nice.

That's why any sort of "music gate" type movement would fail. You kids would just go on about pointless shit (like this supposed "SJW" conspiracy to give Swans bad reviews) and all you'd do is harass Larkin Grimms or send rape threats to female music reviewers, then retards like you would harp about how "le SJW media is misrepresenting us!"

Please, never ever create le musicgate. I don't want any bands I enjoy to be ruined by the edgy autistic misogynists on the internet.

yeah you're a real brave man but that's not how it works when you have an actual job.

I can't believe people are this fucking stupid to believe any of this shit.

Just wait for MC Ride to sadly rape someone.

I saw it all with my own eyes, up to and including the original "Five Guys" threads and irc channel.

Fuck off Gator.

I have a goddamn job, but it doesn't involve placating special snowflakes. So yeah, I guess I am lucky and "brave" in that way.

But they're turned into something similar to TMZ-daily Mail music critic, just look to their twitter profile, Zoe Camp asked me if Bog Sean was smashing Ariana Grande in 2015.

Gossipfork, we outhere.

How many reviews mention Kanye West's antics before reviewing his albums? How many MBDTF reviews mentioned the VMAs or made reference to his bizarre behaviour? It's almost as if music reviewers provide context. Buh nah, it's le cultural marxists!

no you have a job that isn't based on being in the public eye and needing people to actually click on and read what you write

He must be self employed and not deal with people. Any business absolutely has to "placate special snowflakes." He legally can't discriminate based on gender, race, disability, etc.

Assuming he's not just pretending to have a job.

everyone in this thread is taking shots at pitchfork for some reason when they haven't even published a review yet

It's the same thing that happened with le GamerGate. Kids know they have to "hate" Kotaku/Polygon so they'll immediately talk shit about them even if it's not relevant.

I really, really hope this shit doesn't lead to any sort of "movement." It's difficult to tell with Sup Forums, the other day a thread like this was largely laughed at. Today a bunch of Sup Forumsirgins and Sup Forumstards are dominating this thread.

I really don't get why so many gamers feel threatened by anita et al, besides, whatever influence they have over the industry is a result of the publicity gained from dudes sperging out about them

the thread wasnt laughed at, one user just kept building strawmen out of people who suspected larkin was lying and demolishing them so the rest of the anons were choking on the bait

If your job is to review music then pacifying people who can't ignore artists is not part of your job description. You review music, that's it

That's the funny thing. The people who hate Anita made a career for her. You think they'd learn and back off, but nah, they're doubling down.

Gamers also seem to miss the idea that if video games are ever going to be a serious medium, that serious criticism is going to be a part of that. Anita is more pop feminism, but feminist critique is gonna happen just like with music, television, film, literature and the arts. You can't demand that your hobby be taken seriously and then stomp your feet when people take it seriously but hold a different opinion than you. It's self defeating.

We're not talking about the same thread evidently.

Not bringing up an unrelated issue is not discriminating against anyone you fucking assbandit

Yeah except "mainstream" gators tried to distance themselves from that, and guess what, people still treated them like they hadn't.

If your job is to review music on an entertainment website and you seriously care about returning money to your investors, then you absolutely are going to pacify your viewers. These are for profit businesses and everyone of these entertainment sites have operated like this forever. It's amazing how the only time retards like you complain about this kind of shit is when there could possibly, conceivably, be a "progressive" message in there, even when in reality it has little to do with the actual review.

If your for profit site provides reviews they should be fucking reviews, keep a separate part of the site for fucking news and gossip and shit

Here's the thing with Anita + SJW complaints about video games in general: They don't affect games in any meaningful ways. Are their opinions shit for wanting to include trans characters/gay options/more female leads? Kinda, yeah, because it doesn't matter. The most important thing about a game is the fun factor. If a game makes sense with those options, the developer will include them. There is no point in including them just for the sake of progressiveness.

>b-but i want to relate to the character i'm playing as!

These people are most likely autistic. Relating to a game character is completely pointless.

>b-but it's MY character. what if i'm M-to-F and want to play as that in fallout??

These people should play as a female, since they tend to make such a big fuss about identifying as such IRL.

In the end, like i said, it doesn't matter. Would Overwatch be any less of an addicting game if Symmetra, Lucio and Pharah were white? Nope. Would Legend of Zelda games still be boring as fuck if Link was a girl? Yes.

>"mainstream" gators
What does this even mean? You guys intentionally made your movement anonymous with absolutely zero order. So those "harassing" Gators are just as "mainstream" as whomever you think are ~true~ Gators. In fact, they're arguably did much more than the "moderate" GamerGate ever did, which just seems like they complaining about "cultural marxism" on leddit. Also funny how "mainstream" Gators like Cernovich are absolutely involved in the nasty shit Gators are known for.

Like seriously, what exactly have "mainstream" Gators done for "ethics in video game journalism?" Literally everything you do is related to feminism.

You act like I gave a shit about Gamergate, I'm saying that the people who kept apologizing weren't going far enough.

this
Fucking sheltered white boys getting pissed when a mean lady says their vidya are sexist
Gamergaters make me want to throw up

The most important thing about a video game is profits, mate. Video game publishers care about profits. Catering exclusively to 16 year old prepubescent boys is not good for business. This is really what's happening here. Publishers will make their games more inclusive because there's a serious untapped market and the sooner people realize this, the easier the transition will be. You're going to see more women and "minority" characters but since there's a market for anime bouncing breast simulators, those'll be around too.

>You act like I gave a shit about Gamergate
Clearly you did and you still do. Why else are you trying to spread their propaganda here?

>I'm saying that the people who kept apologizing weren't going far enough.
How old are you? Were you seriously hoping people would get violent over "video game feminism?"

can you guys take your GameGate horseshit back to Sup Forums please? this is pathetic.

She accused a black guy of raping her, then people called her a racist for targeting a black man so she said Gira raped her. lmao

You don't seem to realize that aesthetic is, at most, 40% of what a game appears as to the public eye. People don't buy Call of Duty every year because it's masculine, army-dude shit, people buy it because it can be incredibly addicting, especially to people who don't play too many games.

Larkin Grimm used this time to gain popularity of Gira and its stupid and lame. Fuck her

Oh and so i start getting back on topic, here's my thoughts on Gira and this Grimm bitch that i've never heard of: It doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that Cloud of Unknowing is pretty much capable of stopping time and The Glowing Man should be getting some serious praise for being an awesome album. If Thom Yorke was a neo-nazi who raped babies, it wouldn't change the fact that Radiohead is still the greatest band of all time. If you put out quality music, you're forgiven for anything and everything.

I don't think those people care at all about gaming becoming a respected art-form, if anything they seem to want the opposite

Basically. Sup Forums has this dank meme going where they pretend that cinematic-qualities in gaming are cancer. It's the funniest thing to come from that board since the early days of the PS3/360/Wii gen.

>Radiohead
>Greatest band of all time

>You don't seem to realize that aesthetic is, at most, 40% of what a game appears as to the public eye
What are you basing this on, exactly? Marketers put a lot of time in effort into appealing to specific demographics. Yes, games generally have to be good and enjoyable to have any long lasting success, but you're pretty much just hand waving all of marketing.

There are plenty of women and men even who don't buy Call of Duty because being an American marine isn't a power fantasy they wish to fulfill. There are plenty of people who avoid videogames in general because they see it as a hobby for hostile white children, the same ones that would yell at women if they dare used their microphone in an online match.

It's weird here, because you almost made a good point in your last post (games will be good regardless of character) and yet you seem oddly very resistant to the idea of more inclusiveness in video games. So what exactly do we have here if not "forced progressiveness," forced regressiveness?

If you literally don't care about which characters you play as, you should welcome games growing and being taken more seriously.