Thoughts on Synthwave?

Ever since Drive (2011) and Hotline Miami it gained a lot of popularity. Do you think it's dead yet? I'm asking as a new synthwave producer.

Other urls found in this thread:

music.onslaughtsix.com/album/the-john-carpenter-ep
music.onslaughtsix.com/album/the-john-carpenter-ep-ii
youtube.com/channel/UCD-4g5w1h8xQpLaNS_ghU4g
youtube.com/watch?v=DpRUKLKCY-w
youtube.com/watch?v=gMv7nrCkIqk
reapers.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like it. I feel like the songs with good Vocals stand out more. Gunship for example

i completely agree. I also do like it when artist mix it with other genres like Carpenter Brut who uses elements or rock/metal

Hotline Miami is great.

of course! It has one of the best psychological stories out there. I love it

Gost - S/T is pretty good senpai

I liked the new Perturbator album

The genre is going to eat itself alive in a few years as producers in it become more idiotically closed off about what their genre is allowed to be. (I am part of the "Synthwave Producers" group on Facebook where everyone, including guys like Perturbator, Carpenter Brut and Mitch Murder all hang out and I see this kind of talk from many of the second-tier synthwave guys.) It also turned out that a LOT of the labels that spawned up to capitalize on this shit were shams and basically not paying the artists, they would just take the money and fucking run off with it and never pay them. The fanbase also seems to consider it disposable and there is very, VERY little lines between artists. I recently played a Google Play playlist for a friend of some randomly chosen Synthwave artists that it chose via algorithm and my friend thought they were all Perturbator, even though it played Mitch Murder, Arcade Fire, Protector 101 and many others. He thought it was all the new Perturbator album. Because it all sounded the same.

The genre must begin to evolve and push boundaries or it will die, or worse--it will get raided by the mainstream and be EVERYWHERE in 3-4 years tops and then it will die. Like dubstep--remember dubstep? It was underground and everyone loved it, and then it became mainstream and EVERYONE loved it, and not it's garbage and no one cares.

very interesting point of view. I do agree that a lot of synthwave sounds very similar. Hell I can't say that most of my songs differ from most of them. But it is true that a lot of artist start to mix other genres with it and creating their own unique style. Of course this blurs the line of what could be considered as synthwave. I do think that every artist has his own particular sound. Carpenter Brut for example has a very agressive sound with a lot of guitar riffs. He also doesn't follow the usual build up/drop formula that a lot (which includes me) follow. I do think that like dubstep artist will need to add their own flair to stand out.

Which is why I do what I do (you already saw my post in the Bandcamp thread).

I also do more traditional shit in my other project but I did my first one in 2012 when the scene was embryonic
music.onslaughtsix.com/album/the-john-carpenter-ep
music.onslaughtsix.com/album/the-john-carpenter-ep-ii

I love your stuff man. This does sound a little bit more generic and similar to the "synthwave" sound that people talk about but still very nice. I'll try to find my own style. Thanks ^_^

So what are some artists that arent carpenter brut, perturbator? That are good? Preferably no vocals.

I sent you an email on the contact form on your BC with my various contact info so we can keep in touch. You have something here and I'd love to help.

it's pretty fucking neat

nice falseflagging, faggot

It's not dead yet but there's been no evolution or branching out. It all sounds the same. It needs innovators

dance with the dead

It need to take inspiration from other genres of music from the 80s.
EBM
New Wave
Glam Metal
Darkwave

for instance

Lazerhawk, Danger, Power Golve, Magic sword

those are some of the ones I listen to

If you're looking for Synthwave this is a great channel to look through

youtube.com/channel/UCD-4g5w1h8xQpLaNS_ghU4g

Rely less on an 80s aesthetic, rely more on actual 80s synth music

They just steal content. They literally just load up whatever's on the newest tab of synthwave or retrowave every week, download whatever's free, and slap it up there with some ill-fitting 80s imagery the artist didn't choose

I know because this is how it happened to me.

Satellite Young does a wonderful blend of synthwave and 80s city pop.

We need more weeb synthwave

This would be a good start, and the branching out thing the other guy said. The 80s were a huge soundscape of different genres and these guys pull from like 2 sources.

youtube.com/watch?v=DpRUKLKCY-w

more songs like this please

Good news, we literally ripped that song off for our new album. See you in September.

wot

dem Dangaioh girls

Yeah I understand that. But it's good promotion at the same time.

they don't always credit you though :/

Synthwave is great
keep making it dude

kind of...too easy to diggest?

>tfw got a ticket to Carpenter Brut show on September

Also saw Perturbator, GosT, Dan Terminus and Flash Arnold live last year. It was fucking amazing, GosT is best heard live.

youtube.com/watch?v=gMv7nrCkIqk

>EBM
Holy shit I'd jizz my pants. It could also work blended with ambient.

Just what I said. We wrote a song that basically rips off the feel. The album will be out in September.

I think it could very, very easily blend into chiptune, if it hasn't already.

The thing about synthwave, is that it is extremely tied to its aesthetic, and so its musical evolution requires an exploration of that aesthetic.

Two of the best synthwave bands in my opinion are Umberto and Xander Harris; in a deluge of 'lol sci fi cyberpunk' regurgitation, they remember that the guy that invented synthwave was John Carpenter, and that the 80s had something called "horror movies", not just plastered neon bullshit. And that makes them stand out more.

So synthwave has to fully explore its setting. You can easily have a chiptune synthwave album focusing on Atari shit. You can easily have an EBM synthwave album focusing on goth shit.

Nobody is doing it. They're immensely too complacent with their current setting.

Not everything is Kung Fury/Hotline Miami/Drive.

Disco inferno is my FUKKIN JAM

Okay
D-do you have a name?

reapers.bandcamp.com

Probably the most unique band doing Synthwave to be honest.