/comp/ - Composition General

(Cross-thread) old thr.

An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on art music and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But follow in the footsteps of the classical composers of the 20th century who experimented in electronic music. But remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any art music, such as jazz, is acceptable

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

>Theory
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
>tl;dr
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic#

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

composer.rowy.net/

>Score Reference Library
imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Foundation Studies in Fugue
mediafire.com/download/f1zbff56mxufhce/Norden_Hugo_Foundation_studies_in_Fugue.pdf

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

>Score Preparation Guide
musiciandevelopment.com/2016/05/16/how-to-prepare-a-professional-score/

>Orchestral Preparation Guideline
mola-inc.org/article/Music-Preparation-Guidelines-for-Orchestral-Music.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Sam Adler's Study of Orchestration, 3rd Ed.
www52.zippyshare.com/v/w473HFOA/file.html

>Orchestration Online Blog
orchestrationonline.com/

>Takadimi: A Beat - Oriented System of Rhythm Pedagogy
takadimi.net/documents/TakadimiArticle.pdf

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Musictheory.net - General music theory with accompanying exercises and tests. Great for practice.
musictheory.net/

>Succint theory up to contemporary techniques such as serialism et al.
learnmusictheory.net/

And feel free to expand!

Other urls found in this thread:

alanbelkinmusic.com/site/en/index.php/on-the-art-of-composition/
youtube.com/watch?v=xNwk9_bbr0E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_music
clyp.it/5q24eutf
youtube.com/watch?v=TO3YRZWLvQo
clyp.it/c0vnptee
clyp.it/xhpgs3c2
youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0
clyp.it/2inhafwi
youtube.com/watch?v=U4VQgKGbEkg
clyp.it/kgd34th4
youtube.com/watch?v=jQLD_rPWXsE
soundcloud.com/catilluminati/first-pioneers-feat-infuhmus
soundcloud.com/benbartlett/flute-solo
soundcloud.com/psllbof/anagrams-for-flute
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>mfw last thread dies at 4 posts
lmao pathetic, just quit this shit now

Just make one thread a week senpai

lmfao i didn't even see it

also shut up retard

bump

bump

I'm glad we have such dedicated bumpers, baiting to generate activity.

>bumps
>shitposts
>genuine discussion
just lmao @ this horrible, horrible thread

Who are you quoting?

just categorizing, you dimshit

sage

Obviously
but who are you quoting?

show me where i am quoting

sage

alanbelkinmusic.com/site/en/index.php/on-the-art-of-composition/

Here's a resource I didn't find in the OP. It's a pretty complete, practical, not theoretical guide to composition. It's divided into Form, Orchestration, Counterpoint and Harmony. Really handy as a reference, and gives you a lot of macro concepts to think about in the form section. Form is very rarely written about on the internet, so this is something you all should read.

>Form is very rarely written about on the internet
I am intimately familiar

Good find.

youtube.com/watch?v=xNwk9_bbr0E
This guy does nice videos on sonata form.

how do i transcribe shizz

You hear it and you write it down?

Generally you write the highest voice first, then the bass, then anything in the middle you're able to distinguish.

Anyone have any tips on how to get out of a compositional rut?

I find myself just going back to my favorite compositional tropes and chord progressions. Even the concept of "same harmony, different melody" I get too bored. Does it come down to me analyzing/transcribing new/different music and trying to experiment with it?

Yeah. Literally steal a different progression and see what happens.

Try writing big random clusters and deleting notes from them one by one and see what you end up with.

but how do i figure out how to play it? I'm transcribing a short guitar solo, but I can't figure out where to play the notes

wait - the video described the exposition, then the exposition waas repeated, then the development - then it was over. Did Beethoven forego the recapitulation?

That's essentially it. Listen to music you're not used to and look at what they do. Alternatively, look at music you like and seriously overanalyze it beyond sensible levels.

is composing with software frowned upon?

alright, I guess i'm gonna go put some JS bach preludes into roman numerals then

You must have missed it? It's at 3:27. Developments and recapitulations can sometimes be hard to tell from each other. Here it's as clear as day, though.

That's really a question of how well you know your instrument. Transcribing something for guitar and for flute (for example) are two very different things.

Start with the first note in the guitar solo, find it on your guitar, then go note by note and trial and error it out. use your relative pitch (ability to tell intervals)

oh, okay, I did miss it (I must've skipped ahead in the video accidentally)

It's some composers' field of expertise.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_music

Even just notating your music using, say, Sibelius or Finale, it's really the normal way to compose now (although I still find it weird to do myself and stick to my notebook until the piece is finished).

thanks, I was just fishing for composing software.

clyp.it/5q24eutf

This is a 24 minute piece in a minimalist style using digital sound sources.
Would appreciate your ears and thoughts.

I scribble ideas around in my noteboook, but put everything together with softawre

bump

if you see this please consider posting in this thread we are desperate to keep it living

>24 minutes
I ain't got the time, dude

It's very tranquil though. The progression of it seems nice and steady. Just from the waveforms you can clarly see how the piece will progress. From 8 - 11 really feels like a return to the beginning, and then after that it's just a big outro.

Keep in mind I didn't listen to every single bit of it.

I see. Finale and Sibelius are the two big ones, but they're rather expensive, though Sibelius has cheaper versions with fewer features.

You could always go with Musescore or even Noteflight. Or Noteworthy if anyone else knows what that is.

>bump
The thread is very much alive right now.
I'd understand posting this earlier, but

Yeh, I figured I'd be hard pressed to find a willing set of ears.

As with most relatively long music it only makes sense listened to as a whole.

Thanks for checking it out nonetheless.

I'm guessing you have, but ever listened to this?:
youtube.com/watch?v=TO3YRZWLvQo

(I'll comment once done listening.)

I haven't but I'm a few minutes in and enjoying it very much. Nice one.

clyp.it/c0vnptee

Ok, this is my first song. I barely know any music theory, but I'm slowly learning through these threads. Would appreciate you guys giving a listen.

Is there some kind of software that can tell you the note to something by humming into a microphone or some shit? I have music in my head but music theory takes too long

If you have an iPhone, try the cleartune app. It costs money, I think.
You could also very easily just go through piano keys or something until you hit the note that you're humming. There are free online pianos.

sounds like a ripoff of chasing cars

nah, but it's nice. Do you have sheet music for it? at 0:50 i think the melody gets a little out of whack. Maybe you should vary it more in the beginning. It gets some nice variation when it slows down after the drums come in. What harmony are the horns playing? Also - during the bass melody - you could improve that with more knowldege of counterpoint.

The ending melody seems real weak on the piano - make a stronger cadence.

I hope you enjoy my unedited typed response during the piece.

>8 min
>out of nowhere
>9 min
>Bb Major
>16 min
>suddenly
>17 min
>bb minor
>19 min
>suddenly
>19:45
>mod to relative major
mad bastard
>20:10 or so
>A natural again
m a d
>still in relative major
M A D
A
D
>22 min
what's happening

Ha, I'll take that.

Thanks for listening.

I'm more of a beginning /prod/ guy with not a lot of theory experience, but I think the theory centered critique here could be very useful.
clyp.it/xhpgs3c2
thoughts?

I can't help but notice how whenever there was a major change it almost certainly occurred at a minute mark.

To clarify, though, by the end of the piece I actually ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would during the first eight or ten minutes.

You got nootation for that? I wanna know what I'm critiquing here

Ah, sorry about that. I'll learn how to notate my stuff before whenever I post here next.

The chord progression is very pop music-y. Reminds me a lot of this: youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0
And maybe that was the point, but repeating the same 4 chords will get boring after a while. Try experimenting with the song structure, and break the pattern (I'm not sure how to explain this better, sorry.)

Also, I think the drums were off at first? I think the beat was supposed to line up with the changing chords but that didn't seem to happen.

Also, the bass line is wonky. For example, at 1:36, the phrase you wrote ended on a IV, which was a little jarring. Instead, you should resolve on a chord tone (I, III or V, which would be C, E or G).

Indeed, came up with a pretty rigid idea and structure for the piece and then made it in an evening.

>spend hours notating your music
>get responses like this
honestly you're far better off just going to reddit

Thanks for listening.
No sheet music, I made it in FL Studio.
I'm not sure what you mean by harmony. The notes that the horns play go C and E, then D and F, then E and G.
Yeah, the bass parts are a little unsatisfying. I'll look up counterpoint.
Thanks for your suggestions.

How can I make my chord sequences more open?

I have a progression in E minor that goes i-iv-v-VI. It's tight homophony, and I was thinking of splitting the chords up to make it more open. Like splitting Em into two-note harmonies, E-G and G-B, and playing those seperatley. What do you think, /comp/?

I made this in an intro music theory class
clyp.it/2inhafwi
The assignment was to make a short classical song in rondo form (ABA).
I received a good grade, but nothing in critiques or comments. What do you think?

Sorry for the low volume

It's not a necessity, it's just nice to have.

>starting off the piece with the tonic and a chord using flat 7 and flat 2
It's like you're after my heart.

>fading out
Not sure how I feel about it, though ending an ostinato figure is difficult. Not sure how well it applies to a more pop-ish piece like this, but look at how the ostinato ends here: youtube.com/watch?v=U4VQgKGbEkg

What program do you use?

FL studio
thank you very much

Oh, sorry, I guess I should have elaborated in complete sentences and gone in detail while I was listening intently to that person's piece and paying too much attention to it to do much else.

Thanks for listening.
Yeah, the drums are in 3/4. I thought it sounded cool.
Thanks for your criticisms.

don't listen to these guys. transcribing melodies
step 1. learn to sing it. You think this is stupid? It helps internalize what you're doing. It helps you to intimate know the piece before you even start figuring out what notes are. It will make everything easier.
2. Once you can sing the whole thing by memory (or at least, sing a whole section by melody) you can slow that shit down yourself, with your voice, and pick out each note on your instrument / piano if you play a windy instrument and can't sing play at the same time.
3. Once you learn all the notes you obviously have to learn how to play it in time yeah, but learn how to play it with all the inflections and nuance of the original

and yeah, you can't transcribe everything by learning to sing it and then slowing it down yourself. Some stuff is too fast. Slow it down, software like Transcribe or Anytune are great

What do you mean by open? You mean less defined, more vague sounding?

no, less tightly confined. I have one chord per bar and simple harmonies over those. The homophony sounds so bland. I want to be able polyphony

I guess you need voice leading? Can you post a screenshot of what the chords look like? For good voice leading you would change the chords to 4 voices (probably) and keep each voice in relatively its own range, using inversions of the chords. There are certain rules but I can't describe them fully, they're in the links somewhere. For the doubled note of the chord it's usually the root or alternately the fifth.

An easy way to get more polyphony once you get your voices in the correct range and aren't just using root-position chords, you can use suspensions and non-chord tones such as passing tones, like if a certain voice in one chord is a third apart from where it is in the next chord, you can make it step down instead of jumping the whole third....

sorry if that's vague, I'm starting from counterpoint so I haven't got to part writing in the traditional harmony style so we're approaching from the opposite direction kind of.

Pretty nice. Can you post sheet music?

>rondo form
>ABA
Ternary form, you mean?

The A section was alright, slightly repetitive. I'd change something in the second period, maybe the melody, maybe have one of the other instruments play a countermelody or something, I dunno. There's something oddly dissatisfying about the melody ending on the leading tone each antecedent, I dunno what it is.

I quite liked the transition from A to B. The route taken had a lot of pleasant surprises, going from G to D, but suddenly to b before returning to D. Exiting A was done nicely, with that motif we've come to expect at this point suddenly used in sequence up. I liked it. One problem was that all the disparate voices were slightly too disparate. Not really sure how to explain.

The B section was lovely. (For my purposes I'll say it started at 0:57.) The full pause was kind of odd sounding, but the way the instruments gradually came back one at a time was really nice. Actually, the B section was in itself a well done ternary form.

Honestly, the B section was too lovely. I was kind of annoyed when the A' section popped right back in like a party animal interrupting a romantic dinner or something. The way the transition from A to B was made into an ending for the piece was kind of neat, though.

The single biggest problem is that the A and B sections really don't suit each other well at all, other than being closely related keys. They're also very out of proportion in their length. The A section is way too tiny and simple while the B section is its own ternary form.

do you guys actually do pen and paper composing vs software score?

I use pen and paper. Sibelius when the piece is done so I have a nice-looking score. There's a real danger in relying in a computer playback.

Anyone thought of transcribing pop songs on the piano for some extra small cash?

Suddenly that thought occurred to me, it's simple enough and I can charge maybe $10 per piece. I could even write parts according to the player's competence level.

Thanks for the very informative OP.

Wow - Thank you!
I understand what you mean about the 2 sections not matching eachother. The assignment required the A and B sections to be contrasting moods - perhaps I kinda overdid that contrast. I'm not sure how I could make the two complement eachother well.

There's also a reason why the A section is as simple as it is (Can't remember if it was another requirement, or if I just liked that melody) You're right though, I should have added a countermelody (I think I was afraid of taking instruments away from playing chords, it's a quartet so I was limited). The repetitiveness is also the reason the A section is so short, it might have been unbearable if I kept repeating that melody more than 3 times.

Yeah, it seems like all these problems would be fixed with a better A section theme, one that is longer and less peppy.

I don't think I can get you that sheet music. I have the .mus file, but I need to buy Finale in order to open it.

Once again, thanks for replying!

I had a friend who did something similar, he transcribed pop / classic rock songs into marching band pieces and sold them to high schools and colleges.
He says his transcriptions sold in the hundreds. He didn't do it full time, but it was a nice second source of income for him.

The chords are just i-iv-v-VI in E minor. One chord per bar.

Piano confirmed for best instrument

Played this once in my high school orchestra. More beautiful than I remember.

I only handwrite if I'm writing at the piano or guitar or cello. Mostly write at the computer.

Performers expect a typeset score in the day and age and handwritten is only good for capturing ideas without having to worry about bar lines. The end result is always going to be type set (unless you're doing some kind of graphic score) so handwriting is essentially a bit of a waste of time - you'll need to recreate it in finale/sibelius eventually.

Handwriting music feels really fucking good though, so always fun to do

>Thread is up

nice

Reposting something I posted a while back, something Suzuki-ish I wrote for beginner violinist and piano accompaniment. (No violin in this recording, but the right hand of the piano is basically the violin part.)

clyp.it/kgd34th4

I changed it a little. It's hard to figure out what kind of thing you're going for, and I'm also new to this. There isn't an easy way to learn voice leading but there aren't actually that many rules so I'd say just start reading about it.

Oh, one more thing, be careful of direct motion and implied parallel fifths/octaves. I assume there aren't any, or aren't many, actual parallels because you say you got a good grade, but implied ones should be avoided as well if you're writing in the classical style.

This is more of a 'keep them to a minimum' sort of thing than a 'do not have them ever' sort of thing though. You'd offend Fux, but well, so would many classical composers

(should've included this in the previous post, but)
For reference on forms and the relative sizes of sections, listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=jQLD_rPWXsE
IIRC every single one of these movements is in ternary in some way, except the last one.

(Mostly I just wanted an excuse to post this piece again.)

How does this make you feel, /comp/?

bump

>Similar motion all over the place
>voices dont stay within their register, but all shift down an octave by the end
>All the same rhythm, no independence of parts

Feelsbadman, but as long as it sounds good should be ok

And what's that?

never rely on the dynamics you put into a notation software and the playback you get back, they dont reflect what actual players sound like. fff flute in low register is always going to be very quiet, no matter how loud sibelius/finale plays it back to you. Likewise flute in high register is going to be piercing and extremely loud even at mp or mf.

You have to use your knowledge of orchestration and your own judgement when adding dynamics to a score. The playback on a notation software should only really be used for checking the non-dynamic elements of a piece, ie melody, rhythm, harmony, etc.

It's mostly a proof of concept, it's not like you would go the whole circle in an actual usage of this progression.

what kind of concept are you trying to prove? also can we have audio / clyp.it?

soundcloud.com/catilluminati/first-pioneers-feat-infuhmus

I think you missed the soundcloud thread buddy

Bump with a (section of) score from last year

Does anyone here know anything about contemporary asian music and why it sounds so jazzy?

contemporary asian music as in kpop and stuff?

no kpop is just western music done badly, more talking about japanese music

again, contemporary as in pop?

Your post is worthless without examples. I demand some now.

got a recording? Here's a flute solo I did as an excercise about half a year ago soundcloud.com/benbartlett/flute-solo

Yeah I have a full recording here:
soundcloud.com/psllbof/anagrams-for-flute

Not a lot of time for a performer to breathe in your piece. Nice writing though

how do I make music I like instead of spending the whole time thinking

"I wonder if people like this" "hmm yeah people are really going to like this"

drives me fucking insane

Write moar.

/thread

we literally don't even need a general after this

Can't do that right now.
The progression is
A min - G#min - G min - F# min - F min - etc.