What is one type of music genre that you tried to get into, but just couldn't? Why?

What is one type of music genre that you tried to get into, but just couldn't? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/improvised_music_from_japan/
youtube.com/watch?v=dCA5n2S3FLw
youtube.com/watch?v=RuP-w-dgbCs
youtube.com/watch?v=mUT3KoxVzQg
youtube.com/watch?v=7MBaEEODzU0
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Death metal. I have tried and tried but I cannot do it. The growling shit vocals just fuck any merit an otherwise great piece would have. It sounds so bad.

electroswing

most genres of metal besides black and industrial

I really want to understand why everyone likes Joy Division but I just can't stand everything about Unknown Pleasures

Grindcore
I love the instrumental aspect but the vocals just absolutely ruin it for me like 99% of the time
Anyone know any good grind w/o vocals?

Most classical music.
I do like some 19th and 20th century composer but the furether back it goes, the less I get it. Baroque music is completely lost on me. I just don't see what it is supposed to do.

I suppose most "Indie folk" like Joanna Newsom, The Mountain Goats, NMH, and most other bands similar to them. I like indie rock but they just don't click for me. Same with Bob Dylan though he's tangentially related. I like freak-folk but can't get into plain folk.

Classical. I don't know, orchestra and genius composer or not, without more creative interplay it just bores me.

Noise
I like shoegaze, noise rock and noise pop so I imagined it'd click for me at some point

Nah, listening to that shit just makes me feel thoroughly unpleasant.

Jazz and Black Metal

Jazz because it's all improv and not actual songwrting, so there's really nothing for me to get into.

Black Metal because, while I like metal music in general, black metal feels like a parody genre. Trying to be BRUTAL despite the fact that it sounds more like metal-influenced hardcore punk than actual metal. I'm fucking sick of blastbeats as well.

What about Cattle Decapitiation or Murder Construct? Same vocalist for both bands but he's got breddy good voice imo

>death grips
>metal
>50's rock and roll

classical is such a behemoth of a genre i have a lot of trouble getting into it
also no wave just doest seem to click for me i just find it unpleasant (i liked filth though)

Grindcore. It's just repulsing.

I guess you dont like horror movies either.
or steven king.

these threads just make me enjoy how much I've gotten out of these genres

Harsh noise because it hurts to listen to. Pic extremely related.

k-pop. im kind of a weeb too so you'd think i'd like it but just... no

Nobody actually likes this album, or even the genre. They listen to it because they like themselves for ""liking"" something so weird, so basically narcissism.

Electronic. It just feels so empty and devoid of emotion of any kind.

i like it cause it makes me feel like i'm being taken over by the noise... also after a while i feel like i'm in a completely altered state, like i've been possessed. never experienced this with any other genres. i appreciate how it doesn't ask politely to be heard, it demands to be heard and blasts its way into your head

you have to convert to Christianity to truly appreciate baroque

haaah
you wish

It's true faggot

I think a better comparison would be I don't like noise for similar reasons to why I don't like snuff films

But caravan palace are wonderful

I'm assuming you've already listed to most "IDM" artists, but if you haven't some stuff by Aphex Twin might change your mind. Listen to 4 and Flim because those are 2 of the most emotional songs I've ever heard in any genre.

Indie rock and indie in general. It all just sounds like a high school band's first attempt at music. So amateurish and not in a good way.

they're literally the only electroswing band i've been able to enjoy, besides a few Parov Stelar songs

Dubstep
House
Techno
Garage
Breakbeat
Disco
Electro

I seriously can't listen to any No Wave band other than early Swans.
Also, Harsh Noise hurts me.

Industrial. I get it, it's just not appealing to me at all.

But I am a practicing catholic already.

Electronic music. I can like it, but I always feel like it's so shallow. Especially if it has no lyrics. Pic related is the only electronic album I like (if you can even call it that), but it's a personal 10/10

Hip hop
Rap
Metal
Cheesy hard rock like ACDC
Arena rock
Progressive rock
Techno
EDM

I literally only listen to Ween and Frank Zappa

The whole "enjoying music" thing may not be for you then

I know

not that guy user, but with that list you just fall into the average non-newfag on here

Most indie folk/pop like Sufjan Stevens and Animal Collective. I absolutely hate folk, the only folk band that I sort of like is Neutral Milk Hotel, but not that much.

This. I've tried to get into Sufjan so hard but he's just so meh

listen to jazz

I'm the same way. There's a thrill in noise rock, but straight up noise is just boring

>shallow

Rude.

Most Hip-Hop. All of rap oriented stuff and most turntablism/instrumental hh.

I don't even hate it. I can dig one or two songs in a row, by Black Star, Cannibal Ox or Deltron, but trying to listen to a full album is totally boring for me. The monotony of the lack of tone variation in the main part of the song just puts me to sleep. Curiously enough thing that should bore me to death given this description (think Gas-Pop) actually is entrancing for me.

>jpop
it overproduced, too marketed, and the japanese accent irks me quite quickly.
>kpop
it's like jpop but worse. I get it, the girls/ guys who sings and dance are cute as fuck, but I'm not young weeb anymore so idc.
>progrock
it's just boring & pointless.
>dubstep
it's a meme; there are more interesting genre in the electronic/EDM/IDM "genre".
>neofolk
boring, and i don't care about the religious/pagan themes.
>rap
they all sound similar; instrumental hip-hop is more interesting.

90% of hip hop

Harsh noise.

Why? Because it's not music in my opinion, it's just loud and grating sounds and I can't see how anyone can even pretend to enjoy it.

Free Improvisation
I want to like it, but it all sounds like pretentious wank.

Does anyone have know of some good entry-level free improvisation?

For once I agree with this man's usually shit taste. Why do you tripfag montie?

>it's just loud and grating sounds and I can't see how anyone can even pretend to enjoy it.

This is literally Oasis though.

Because I get reactions and plenty of (you)'s. Also my RYM gets attention.

No it's not you idiot

So you're doing it to be an attention whore?

quit projecting pleb

Something about rock music in the 80's really puts me off. Not all that crazy about post-punk. I really like Once in a Lifetime (TH song), and I'm trying to give the rest of that album a chance. But most other stuff just doesn't do much for me.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/improvised_music_from_japan/
I see this come up on charts sometimes.

i dont like humor in music
like i can get the jokes but i never want to listen to "funny" music like ween or zappa

I guess I can appreciate that aspect, but I've never been able to listen to noise for long periods of time because it feels like my ears are going to start bleeding.

Taku Sugimoto, can't rec him enough

Replica, oneohtrix point never

I felt similar but chiptune served as a gateway into enjoying electronic.

Chiptune sounds simple but that's actually a strength in terms of giving good melodies some real staying power. You probably remember at least 2-8 songs from video games you played as a kid.

Especially considering recent releases, it's a relatively summer-y genre.

Zeuhl, I just don't understand it

Ive never believed these groups went out of their way to be funny. Ween is crushingly depressing. It's the realization that life is a complete fucking joke coupled with the occasional song that is uncharacteristically sobering and serious.

If metal gets any heavier than 80's era Metallica I pretty much can't take it seriously even though I've tried really hard.

Well that's understandable because it's inherently a shit genre

Yes Montie, we all know you can't into experimental anything. Shouldn't you be on /r/music right now or something?

Go listen to Houdini by the Melvins

It's prog on uppers. loses all the pretentious prog bullshit and trades out for ridiculous WHAT vocalics

This album by Oren Ambarchi is really awesome and has a great atmosphere

Also Fenn O'Berg is really good

>taking metal seriously
there's your problem user
have some fun

Nirvana. I don't know how fair a representation of grunge they are which is why I named them specifically. The drums are okay I guess, the bass is pretty simple, they don't care about guitar(Come As You Are has a good riff I guess) and they don't care about lyrics. The only place they really deliver is on emotion, but it's not expressed in any meaningful way.

I don't really like Nirvana a whole lot but I think In Utero is a pretty great album overall. I really love how much messier it sounds. People always say Bleach is really good too but it kind of just sounds like a poppy Melvins ripoff to me at times. But Nevermind is pretty mediocre

wtf is that it makes my eyes sting

i saw joy division and really thought you were talking about these guys for a second

youtube.com/watch?v=dCA5n2S3FLw

Have you listened to and/or watched Unplugged in New York? I didn't care for them until I watched that full concert uncut and then it "clicked." Though I still don't care for everything they do.

user can't into fun

I honestly feel like a lot of it is, but the thing I find enjoyable about it is watching the thought process unravel or reveal itself throughout the record. That sounds kind of like a banal statement but I think it's something that's easier to understand if you actually play music. Proabably the thing for me is just seeing the performer attempt to create a cohesive phrase outside the bounds of traditional musical phrasing. A lot of 20th century composers did this after they broke a way from tonality and had "less tools" to give their music coherence and I feel that a lot of this is reflected in modern free improvisation. Derek Bailey himself was very heavily influenced by Anton Webern iirc

Give ghost a try user. Very similar to Black Sabbath

Let me help you:
youtube.com/watch?v=RuP-w-dgbCs

I concur

I'll never get tired of Barney Greenaway's vocals

Agreed

I've even heard some melodic metal
Which is just a simple melody with all the instruments on full blast at 300bpm following it

It's just not something I like to listen to

All IDM is garbage

I can't stand many genres of electronic music. To my ears, they just lack any sort of passion and blood that makes them pleasant to listen to. Big beat is some of my favourite music, but most modern electronic music just leaves me bored, as there never seems to be any real progression or variation in the stuff I've listened to.

The same goes for free jazz as well. To me, it's just a bunch of pretentious losers smelling each other's farts and no amount of them going "oh you dont like the smell of farts? Well aren't you a fucking idiot" is going to change that.

people only call something pretentious if they can't understand it

fact

>implying
youtube.com/watch?v=mUT3KoxVzQg
youtube.com/watch?v=7MBaEEODzU0

it's become hard to imagine a genre i wholly dislike

i literally can't even think of one

am i edgy, Sup Forums?

>People who don't like the smell of my farts are idiots

Nah, I don't even listen to much free jazz, if any, I just find it funny that anyone calls anything even moderately complex pretentious.
Nah you're like me, someone who can appreciate that there is quality music of every genre and doesn't feel the need to diss anything they can't get into.
>inb4 crunkcore
kys

techno I guess.

I get that it's supposed to be hypnotic and shit but there's absolutely nothing to it beyond the fact that it kind of makes you sort of dizzy.

By this logic, tons of people don't understand Father John Misty which is hilarious as there's very little to get in "man with nice voice sings funny lyrics over folk-rock while blurring the line between dancing and dry-humping."

try Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats

it's very easy to understand: it's rock made by people who read Heavy Metal 2000s and suck Jodorowky's cock. It's all about psychedelic cosmic space opera shit, and it's fucking great.

crunkcore is fucking hilarious

Black Metal isn't supposed to be BRUTAL, you idiot, it's supposed to be GRIM or BESTIAL.

never listened to him, don't care too. There are still plenty of things that you could call it other than a word that bastardized, I'm sure.
atta boy user

You're not a fan of electronic music, but you enjoy Big Beat ?( aka one the most dated/ banal genres in electronic music ) I mean, love The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim etc. Other than those acts the genre is quite dead.

You really gotta venture out, user

The growls sound monstrous, in line with the general aeshtetic of death metal, and low/raspy enough to complement the guitars. That's why they sound good.

I'm the exact opposite senpai, I only enjoy electronic music these days. I love the otherworldly unnatural sounds, it fits more in with my modern urban lifestyle too.

This, aesthetic is ridiculously important to metal, just as much as the music itself. If you don't get the aesthetic, you're not going to like the genre, period.

Almost all Metal except black. I really don't get it, it has almost no relevance to my life at all and I hate the cheesy electric guitars and terrible aesthetics

One of the main issues with Baroque period music is the instrument it is composed for, the harpsichord. The harpsichord, unlike the piano can only play load and quite which means that it's really not all that interesting to listen to. Plus to make up for the lack of variety composers would just add tons and tons of notes and arpeggios and frills for the player to run through very quickly.

I'd say classical period music is pretty accessible out of the early western art musics. Romantic period music can be very dense and dramatic but there's something to like about that too.

Honestly what you're probably looking for that will give you the most enjoyment is 20th centurty western art music. Obviously shy away from all the atonal serialist stuff (unless you're into that) but non edgy 20th century piano compositions will probably suit what your ear is trained to like the best. Eric Satie is a personal favorite of mine.

youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU