What is objectively the best prog rock album of all time? Not counting influence but purely how good the album is...

What is objectively the best prog rock album of all time? Not counting influence but purely how good the album is, from a technical standpoint and originality. Pic related is my vote.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cPCLFtxpadE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not even the best Pink Floyd album

I agree it's not the best pink floyd album but I wouldn't really consider The wall to be prog rock and dark side is just overhyped desu. It's a great album but not the greatest

close to the edge you fucking pleb

MEDDLE

Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon

Either that or Dark Side desu. I feel Dark Side gets too much .FLAC on here - it's actually pretty good, not cringe at all.

while it has the highest high of any PF album, in fact the highest high of their career - It probably has the lowest lows of all the "great" floyd albums (Seamus)

I FUCKING HATE SEAMUS WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

true Seamus is pretty shit, but literally every other track on that album is great, Fearless and St. Tropez especially (besides Echoes)

In The Court of the Crimson King IMO

Please, stop trying so hard.

im scared

double dubs wtf

make them triple
this is know a dubs thread

no, but seriously look at these digits

>Rush
>good

No.

You will tell me I am wrong, when it fact it is you who is wrong.

I don't know why this album is so underrated.

its actually awful and a fucking joke

the real answer is something by yes or king crimson

Dubs confirm

My favourite is Quella Vecchia Locanda, but using your criteria it's pretty hard to go past either Close To The Edge or Aphrodite's Child - 666.

First pick is CttE, but that's obvious. Gotta mention pic related as well.

No

Acceptable

No, no, no, no, no

No, no

Acceptable

Acceptable

Not prog

Because it's not
No

Acceptable

Not prog

Acceptable

I'm wondering what definition of prog puts red and discipline outside of it

Red is more understandable, but Discipline? Nonono. There was only one song from the album that was kind of progressive rock, but that would be it.

I think I remember him getting into some stupid argument before trying to justify them not being prog

Either way the fact he posted Cardiacs discredits his opinions on prog entirely.

>tfw can't take all the wankery of progressive rock and only enjoy the traditional verse/chorus parts

It's probably just DSotM anyways

seamus is brilliant

>i am 18 and i moved beyond pink floyd

AHM, animals, dsotm, wywh, meddle, are the best albums prog rock ever produced. nothing comes even close, especially anything by YES with their shit-tier vocals and lyrics, guitars that are laughable compared to gilmour, and bass that suits punk music.
only obscured by clouds can be objectively compared to albums of other prog bands

(You)

>pink floyd fan shits on anderson's vocals
I can't make this shit up

Honestly, I would have to agree.

FATALITY

Not that guy but I thought his vocals were always pretty thin and effeminate sounding

I don't know what you mean by thin, but they are somewhat effeminate
youtu.be/cPCLFtxpadE

This is

Definitely pic related. Literally 10/10 perfection in my eyes.

>something by Yes
I can't say no to CTTE, but 90125 is definitely worse than anything Pink Floyd has put out. It is 100% dad pop rock which is equivalent to the likes of Boston or Journey.

>tfw verse/chorus song structure is based on opera, which is based on ancient greek theater, which has served artists successfully for the past 3000 years and has yet to be replaced by anything better

this, every song is amazing
not prog really but it's fantastic

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THREAD FUCKK OF KEKS ARMRESTING REPRESSED ANAL STIMULI

DEMILICH LISTENING 93 ARGUMENT-LESS KEKED FALLUJAHS

WHY DO YOU

KEEP
POSTING

WHEN

YOU'VE

N
O

P
R
O
O
F

Assuming this poster is serious (the text kinda makes me doubt, though it might be in jest) I actually find myself agreeing with this.

It's not my favourite album by Yes (and Yes is definitely not even my favourite prog band), but that album is everything Progressive Rock was meant to me. It's a conclusion of a huge, Gesamtkunstwerk-esque idea that incorporates as many academic influences and technological advances from outside of rock, and molds them into a rock-band format. It's ambitious and multifaceted, the lyrics are so poetic that they wouldn't be out of place in a book concerning the greatest poets of the XXth century and the whole "concept album lmao", "double album lmao" and "one-side-long tracks roflmao" thing that might come off as tacky at times is taken to its logical conclusion and somehow it works. There's more thought put into this than on most bands' entire discography. This was done with heart and mind, not just sterile technicality in mind.

Besides, leaving most artsy pretentiousness and wankery aside (inherent to the genre whether you care to admit it or not), you cannot deny that this is a good album, chock full of melody, disturbance and, yes, even catchy/memorable melodies.

I never thought I'd find myself defending this album, yet here we are.

>has yet to be replaced by anything better
what is EAI

i actually agree 100%

vocals are shit, ctte is the most OVERRATED prog album

While technically proficient and displaying master-levels of composition and arrangements, this is pretty much THE prog album that also elicits a real, deep emotional response, without even having to include lyrics. The ending of part one is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created. For this one albu, Oldfield easily became the king of the prog game.

Plebs dont like Alan Parsons Project.

Its not even the best pink floyd album in the beatles

hey, this is not muse

go fuck off avant math
where have you been btw? I haven't seen you in a while

Days of Future Passed is literally my favorite album of all time. I agree with you 100%

come on, man...

i just want to say that i love to list of essential prog, kisses

these are my votes

if this counts as prog than this is my pick
more like proto-math rock tho

>especially anything by YES with their shit-tier vocals and lyrics, guitars that are laughable compared to gilmour, and bass that suits punk music.
have all the (you)s you want because youre wrong regardless

Steve Howe can play circles around Gilmour. Gilmour just does one simple thing really well (slow pentatonic solos over melodramatic chord progressions).

This is a rather underrated album. Was recommended it and loved 'Soap Shop Rock' and 'Archangel Thunderbird' equally.

Fuck off sporkcore faggot

CTTE is, in terms of pure musicianship and complexity, probably the most prog album out there

However, this is pretty damn progressive, if I do say so myself

My favorite prog album is pic related because it got me into the genre, I know many people here dislike neo-prog, but the lyrics and whole concept is executed very well

These are correct though

>Not prog
>Red is more understandable

EAT SHIT

My votes go for one between ITCOTCK, the afromentioned Red, Thick as a Brick and this one.

Vol. 2 is better though

fuck you Wyattfag

blow me you fucking spineless jazz fucker!

>implying I was claiming Fourth was their best

I dont know if this is considered prog rock but i consider it to be prog rock, and the best in the genre

hey user
r u in a dilemma
between wut u need nd wut u just want?

Moon in June is my third favourite song off that album.

O-B-R = F > MIJ > SATT

these or pic related