Would Sup Forums agree with this?

Would Sup Forums agree with this?

I'd agree this is the MUSIC board, not the general media board.

Try 7chan, they have one.

Joyce is overrated.
Pet Sounds too.
I like Citizen Kane
dam that new Zelda looks dope tho

It seems like your are trying too hard dude. Are these really all your favorites? You know it's ok to like things other "the best" if their domain right?

Putting Joyce is an odd choice bc of how inaccessible he is compared to anything else on there. Reading a handbook of all the literary tricks he pulls in Ulysses is at least 6 times more fun than reading the book.

I haven't read Ulysses
Pet Sounds and Citizen Kane are good choices
I think A Link to the Past would be a better choice

Instead of a "best of" list, this should be a "most important/influential" list. Then your choices are pretty much perfect.

Don't know about Citizen Kane being the number one film. Certainly phenomenal, but also a little dated. Compared to Ulysses, Pet Sounds, and OoT it hasn't stood the test of time. My film picks would probably be Andrei Rublev, Mirror, or Tokyo Story (though I've seen every Tarkovsky movie a million times so I'm biased).

Ulysses could maybe be replaced as well, though I wouldn't personally. It goes over a lot of peoples' heads or comes across as overly pretentious to some, so you get kids like who think it's overrated lol. Moby Dick, Absalom, Absalom!, In Search of Lost Time, or Middlemarch could all be in that top spot without courting as much controversy from naive folks.

Pet Sounds and OoT are indubitably the pinnacles of their media though.

Do you have such a book to recommend? You've got me interested

A lot of people would argue DSOTM. Arguing about best of their medium is silly because every single medium is divided into genres looking to achieve different goals through their art. That's why I think "most influential" is the best list to make.

OoT is overrated, but definitely the most game changing videogame if all time. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the pinnacles of storytelling in videogames.

Literally just google "Ulysses guidebook" and a million things will pop up. Gifford's "Ulysses Annotated" was useful when I took a college course on it, but personally I would recommend against a guidebook if you're reading Ulysses for leisure. Part of the enjoyment, at least for me, came from not understanding some of the puns and laughing at the fact that you couldn't tell whether it was just some nonsense syllables or some ultra-complex linguistic allusion.

I would say read Ulysses first, unfettered, and you do have to chug through some parts, but it's well worth it. Almost every sentence reads so beautifully, as is characteristic of Joyce, and the book is full of humor and depth.

Yeah you're right, "most influential" is more fitting than "best of". I did say "pinnacles of", which you could argue either way lol. It's funny you say DSOTM though, I figured people would jump in saying some classical composition or jazz recording belonged in the music slot, as well as the Brian-haters who think Sgt. Peppers is the zenith of human achievement.

>Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the pinnacles of storytelling in videogames.

James Joyce is gimmicky. It was just modern and difficult for the sake of being modern and difficult. Faulkner did it better and actually had something to say.

Pet Sounds is fine for mid-century pop music.

Citizen Kane is good.

LttP is best Zelda.

that is a good ass point

Change Ulyssus to ASOIAF and Reddit would agree

best post in this thread

don't know enough about books to make an argument here

Pet Sounds is great, but maybe Abbey Road fits better

2001: A Space Oddysey would be my choice, but of course Citizen Kane works fine

Mario Bros, brotendo

wrong zelda
the patrician one is link to the past

>ctrl+f majora's mask
>no results

aight then

the patrician one is Majora's Mask, don't even try to deny it

>James Joyce is gimmicky

How? His style changes throughout Ulysses, and throughout his career, what gimmick do you think he's sticking to? Also, what did Faulkner do better? Stream of consciousness? I love Faulkner but he didn't touch the level of ambition Joyce sought out, and had nowhere near the extensive grasp on linguistics JJ had. And wtf do you mean Joyce didn't have anything to say? Have you read any of his books or are you just talking out of your ass?

I liked OoT a lot growing up, but Dark Souls takes some of the elements that that game introduced and made them way more fucking engaging. OoT is outdated for sure

>Vidya is art

>comparing pop music and a children's video game to a literary masterpiece

>comparing pop music
Bad b8 is bad.

>Ulysses
>Pet Sounds
>Citizen Kane
>Ocarina of Time
Jesus........

>pop music and a children's video game
>Putting art in the most basic terms
kys

LttP, while great, is hardly best Zelda.

It's either OoT or Majora. No meme.

hahahhaa the Odyssey's only literary value is establishing a narrative framework, 0 stylistic or linguistic elements, not to mention it's horribly dated by now. VU+N is a great album but compositionally has nowhere near the same depth and innovation as something like Pet Sounds. Silly you'd pick Seven Samurai over Citizen Kane too, Tokyo Story is clearly the GOAT Japanese film, and even then wouldn't be a top film. Only good choice is Half Life over OoT, but at the same time it's a pretty neckbeard pick.

>LttP
>patrician
That's not even the best 2D Zelda title! LOL!

Found the 19 year old college student.

There's nothing wrong with any of OP's titles or your's.

First Zelda on NES is best Zelda.

>the only literary value is directly influencing centuries of fiction

If you think its influence makes it important why didn't you say the Epic of Gilgamesh? Far more influential and wide-ranging, has a few more centuries on the Odyssey too.

>0 stylistic or linguistic elements,
That's because you don't speak Attic Greek you fucking pleb. There are plenty of interesting aesthetic techniques it uses, like onomatopoeia and the amazing dactylic hexameter used in epic poems of the time. It's not the most complex epic of all time, but there's still pleasure to be derived from it in the 21st century

Throw some Attic Greek at me boss.

I hate people who think of aesthetic progress the same way they think of scientific progress. The sensibilities of today aren't better than the sensibilities of ancient Greece, they're just different.

Hmm last I checked this was an English board, not a Greek one. Keep your archaic, dated literature where it belongs.

The Stranger
Purple Rain
Spirited Away
Melee

Different in that they've reached heightened levels of complexity, sophistication, and been infused with the findings of modern science, certainly. Though many would also consider that "better". I hate hippy college students who literally have 0 clue wtf they're talking about and try to shit in sophisticated discussions with their retarded, pseudo-egalitarian "it's not better, just different!" bullshit.

>implying I actually speak it
I never got past Latin and its six cases. I'm basing this off of books and articles i've read by translators who talk about how to render some of that shit into English, and why so much is lost

i don't play video games anymore

judge me

Book: Wise Blood
Album: Murmur
Movie: Rear Window
Video game: N/A

prove me wrong

I'm a pleb when it comes to everything else but the best video game is Deus Ex.

How the fuck does scientific progress make one better able to affect their reader emotionally? There's an argument to be made that the Greeks were better in tune with the inherent aspects of human emotion given the fact that the societal structure they lived under and were influenced by was comparatively new. That's why even today it seems like they're more than capable of articulating stuff like jealously and anger better than most modern artists could.

>inb4 asking me if i'm a male

yes you faggots

>video games

Studies in neurology, linguistics, psychology, physics, etc. offer a lot of insight into how art affects or can affect us and offer tools to artists that simply weren't available in the past (Note a tool isn't necessarily a physical object in this case). Hahahaha holy shit "there's an argument to be made..." yeah I'd love to see you say that to your high school english teacher so I could see them laugh in your autistic little face. If you honestly believe the ancient greeks were articulating human emotions better than contemporary artists can then I seriously doubt you've read very much at all. Can't be more than whatever your high school teachers are shovelling down your throat, which apparently is a lot of the Odyssey lmfao.

>He posts on a website that has not one, but two boards devoted to video games

>trying this hard

>Tokyo Story is clearly the GOAT Japanese film
no fucking way, Woman in the Dunes

Good taste, personally I prefer Tokyo Story though

What I find fucking hilarious is that you actually believe that the artists take the (often faulty and imbued with political biases) principles discovered by psychologists and linguists and actually craft their work in order to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Artists tend to not view their work through this much of a utilitarian prism. They do study, but their study of form and aesthetic doesn't go down to the neurological level. That's fucking retarded.

And yes, my argument is that the daily concerns of an Attican farmer were probably more temporal and alluvial than ours. They weren't concerned with the shit that we are, which gives them a really interesting and removed perspective on life that we don't have. Homer just feels more earthly and more at the heart of humanity than anything we with all of our modern psychological constructs could ever come up with.

Honestly I'm just trying to trigger Sup Forumsfags but I still think a Nintendo game meant for kids shouldn't be up there with Ulysses.

Stop putting literature on a pedestal. You're as bad as the classical fags.

>What I find fucking hilarious is that you actually believe that the artists take the (often faulty and imbued with political biases) principles discovered by psychologists and linguists and actually craft their work in order to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Artists tend to not view their work through this much of a utilitarian prism. They do study, but their study of form and aesthetic doesn't go down to the neurological level. That's fucking retarded.

So much stupidity in just a few sentences, I'm impressed. You somehow managed to not only misinterpret what was a fairly dry and straightforward sentence, but then took that misinterpretation to an extreme and got angry about it.

>And yes, my argument is that the daily concerns of an Attican farmer were probably more temporal and alluvial than ours. They weren't concerned with the shit that we are, which gives them a really interesting and removed perspective on life that we don't have. Homer just feels more earthly and more at the heart of humanity than anything we with all of our modern psychological constructs could ever come up with.

Judging by your posts you really are just naive and young, so I'll give you a pass for all of the dumb shit you've been spewing, but you should really read more. Also stay in school.

If you're gonna concede an argument don't be such a little condescending bitch about it

Fuck off, Arin.

literature is on a pedestal because it takes more effort to consume and understand. It's also been around for longer, so there's a large range of classic work

Gilgamesh's influence is older, but does little to directly inspire other great works. A better counter argument would be the Bible

>as well as the Brian-haters who think Sgt. Peppers is the zenith of human achievement.
Nobody hates Brian. Beach Boys fans do hate The Beatles, though.

I didn't concede anything lol dude take an english class and learn to fucking read. You are really struggling with reading comprehension in this series of short posts.

I just figured somebody capable of saying retarded shit like:

> Homer just feels more earthly and more at the heart of humanity than anything we with all of our modern psychological constructs could ever come up with.

Really doesn't have a well-rounded grasp on literature, history, criticism, and aesthetics, or even really their relationships to modern science, and these aren't topics I'm going to waste time holding your hand and guiding you through, so I suggest you pursue them independently. If, after 5 years of reading and studying, you can come back to this post and think "yeah I was really spot on here!" I would, frankly, be astonished that not only did our public education system fail you so abysmally, but so did whatever university you attended.

Yeah missed the key word "directly", was mostly just trying to be an asshat anyways though.

hahaha nah any time I mention the Beach Boys are my favorite band I get laughed at by the same kids who have generic Abbey Road posters on their walls and some Sgt. Pepper re-press on their bookshelf despite not owning a record player (or owning a Crosley in a few cases). People generally get a lot more shit for liking the Beach Boys than for liking the Beatles in my experience, at least from 20-26 y/o millennials. But it is impossible to hate Brian, regardless.

lmao your last two posts are just really long-winded nuh-uhs. You didn't even bring up a single point or argument. You conceded bro. Thanks for posting.

yeah Tokyo Story is top tier shit too

I like you.

>game meant for kids
You're worse than a Sup Forumsirgin. You have the same shit game opinions, yet you think you're above them.
On Sup Forums, of all places..

there's literally nothing wrong with hating the Beatles

>tumblr filename
>"Sup Forumsirgin"
>using an ellipsis on Sup Forums
*raises spork*

>People generally get a lot more shit for liking the Beach Boys than for liking the Beatles in my experience
You are on Sup Forums by the way. The Beach Boys are far less trendy/popular/successful and thus this board deems them to be much cooler than The Beatles.
All taste is personal, so, obviously.

>video games

>it takes more effort to consume and understand

Well that and they actually are a lot cooler lol. Most folks think the Beach Boys just wrote songs like Surfin USA or California Girls (even though both are really well written)so usually you just show somebody God Only Knows or Surf's Up and they're instantly hooked on the Beach Boys. At least if they're the same kids that are trying to argue the Beatles were far and away better songwriters

Oh man you got me...

>Well that and they actually are a lot cooler lol.
You might think that but to act like that's a deciding factor when it comes to this board's bias against commercial success in regards to deeming which bands get approved of or not is pretty asinine.

It literally does. Try reading a book for 4 hours straight. The attentional focus required is way more than for either videogames or movies.

Caring why this board likes or doesn't like a given artist seems even more asinine lol

t. Sup Forumsirgin manchild

Yeah. Because Dr Seuss is soooooo complex. *_*

Genre fiction isn't literature dumbass

We're talking about literature, not fucking picture books. That's a really fucking disingenuous comparison.

Jeez. I'm sorry. Get a life.

I wasn't the one who brought up these mythical "Brian haters" that you seem to have a problem with, who I assume you've come into contact with on here. I was just clarifying that way more Beach Boys followers shit on The Beatles on here than vice versa.

Aight thanks my man

no mi mun

bump

Hahaha this was the game that made me realize that video games have the greatest potential for story telling
However most games try to be a movie and end up shit

this took a lot of time more than I expected

>Joyce is overrated.

said only by sub 120 IQ readers

yes. good.

no

How about this instead:

It's okay. For top of those forms of media I would put
Books - Finnegans Wake
Film - Nights of Cabiria
Music- Norma - Bellini

ALTTP is not popular enough. OOT really is the best choice.

this

>pokemon
no

I was judging them in terms of influence and artistic talent required to make each one.

Any suggestions of what to put in it's place?

eh, I'm , put whatever you want to, I mean I get dark souls is a more complex and overall better game than super mario world but I haven't even finished it, plus nostalgia

You are a fucking pleb who has not been weened off pop music. Shut the fuck up.

Pet Sounds truly is not comparable to Ulysses. It's one of the best melodic pop albums maybe, but it's in no way one of the best rock/popular music albums. Anyways, nothing in any other medium is comparable to Ulysses, but I think this thread is about which piece of art in each medium is famous and well-liked, rather than just well-liked. Also, I'm certain that none of us are well-qualified to answer this question.