Zappa was literally the most important artist of modern music

Zappa was literally the most important artist of modern music.

>Freak Out: 10/10
>Absolutely Free: 10/10
>We're Only in It for the Money: 10/10
>Uncle Meat: 10/10
>Weasels Ripped My Flesh: 10/10
>Lumpy Gravy: 10/10
>Hot Rats: 10/10

and i'm not even counting 9/10s like Lumpy Gravy and Apostrophe.
he innovated a lot of shit and demoted Bowie

prove me wrong, faggots.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Category:Freak_Out!_(The_List)
youtube.com/watch?v=YmfEnQN9Bo8
youtube.com/watch?v=nllWDc8_9lw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So is lumpy gravy a 9 or a 10

Modern Popular music, yes

9/10 I made a mistake sorry

11/10

>Hot Rats 10/10
Clueless.

>freak out 10/10
>absolutely free 10/10
>woiiftm 10/10
lmao cute

he was cute

Freak Out! and WOIIFTM are obectively 10/10 you plen

Absolutely Free is 9/10 tho

>hot rats not 10/10
just drop your trip after this omg

desu

Captain Tom was a pretty cool guy but Zappa will always be my dude.

In some ways, I consider his music to be the only real kind of music criticism that means anything apart from nuts and bolts theoretical analysis type of criticism. What makes more of an impact--a snarky article about something you dislike or a scathing parody? I also appreciate that the guy, in spite of having very strong opinions, seldom said that he "hated" anything--he just made fun of it in a way that expose the underlying absurdity or didn't listen to it rather than wasting time being angry it existed, like Adorno or those jackasses. That's pretty swell..

The only thing really missing was sincere love songs, and we have enough of those anyway (even the song he wrote for Gail seems kind of tongue-in-cheek).

But he made the avant-garde accessible and interesting to yer average listener in a way that I don't think anyone else has done before or since. HIs mastery of stylistic syncretism is at the level of any of the greats, and although he falls down a bit when it comes to form he more than compensates for it with variety and vitality and making it his own.

The only reason John Zorn seems more "anything goes" is because he had many more years of popular and art music with which to work but if Zappa hadn't died I'm sure he would have found some way to incorporate everything we're listening to these days into his project/object.

>replying to boldfaure

Also, YAWYI is seriously underrated, especially in the form of the semi-bootleg remaster one of his engineers did.

Those are some spicy meaningless numbers you applied to albums OP.

What the fuck is this. Apostrophe is better than most of these albums, you even named albums where he uses the same formula (parodic progressive rock opera) that he perfected on Apostrophe.

>no Grand Wazoo
>thinking Zappa has even one 10/10 album
>freak out equal to weasels, were only
>thinking lumpy gravy is genius when it had been done decades before

Shit tier taste overall I rate 1.3/10.

trololo!!!! xD

I like this post m8

I'll say this though, I really get bored of his potty humour songs

nah, he had genuine talent, but he wasted it "haha im so much better than all the popular artist look at how I make fun of them with my prog rock", although Hot Rats is great

Bowie was much better though, Low, Ziggy, and Station to Station are all better than any Zappa record

We're Only... is better than anything Bowie did. Zappa was innovative and genuine. Bowie is great but did literally nothing new

Could y'all help me out? I don't think I really get Zappa.
Every time I start in on an album, it's intelligent, but- how do I put it..
Have you ever had a friend try to make an inside joke, where they chide and wink- and you get it, but don't find it at all funny and very try hard?
That's Zappa to me right now, but I don't know if that's a fair assumption to make.

that's because that is exactly what Zappa is

He was gifted musically, but he was too pretentious, so must of his stuff was "im so clever, the beatles suck, funny noises"

maybe check out Hot Rats

but zappa liked beatles lol

>the song he wrote for Gail
?

not an unreasonable reaction at all...only thing I could suggest is listening in chronological order and maybe reading his autobiography, which is pretty entertaining even if you don't like the music. Also, listen to and research as many of the artists listed in the liner notes of Freak Out as possible...that will give you a sense of where he's coming from. wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Category:Freak_Out!_(The_List)

I think living in or visiting California and knowing some of the SoCal cultural references is also a big help, but a trip to Los Angeles merely to reconnoiter various Zappanalia doens't seem very practical and those references aren't a priority.

That's the most I can help...I got into his stuff when I was like 13 so my whole musical worldview was warped by him...lol

sheik is my personal 10/10 but it was my first intro to Zappa so I'm biased. same w/ Overnite Sensation.

It's called "Solitude"

youtube.com/watch?v=YmfEnQN9Bo8

Sweet by Zappa standards but still has that kind of emotional distance, at least to my ear. Can think of many reasons he didn't release it.

I think part of it is because he made content that specifically appealed to him. So it makes sense that someone wouldn't "get" a lot of his humor, because a lot of it was either inside jokes or references to happenings in his own life.

I agree with both of you (leaving Bowie out of it)

I've always compared Zappa with Beefheart (both grew up together, knew each other, had bands play very unusual, difficult music for the standards of rock at the time): I view Beefheart stands as a positive artist, while Zappa remains a very bitter pill for me to swallow - I don't like his bitterly sarcastic sense of humour and his critical stance against his musical contemporaries and audiences. "save the polemics for Congressional hearings, Frank!"

My man. Love this album too for the same reasons. Although as a drummer I love Bozzio's energy on this one. Belew also sounds godly on City of Tiny Lites

Love hot rats

he just seems like a douche the captain tom thing is so fucking cringe worthy and that album cover he used to show how the beatles were selling out MAAAAAANNNNN

someone should have punched him in the face

Lee ''Scratch'' Parry was more important.

Dub has influenced many genres of music, including rock (most significantly the subgenre of post-punk and other kinds of punk[5]), pop,[6] hip hop,[5] disco, and later house,[7] techno,[7] ambient,[7] electronic dance music,[8] and trip hop.[7] Dub has become a basis for the genres of jungle/drum and bass[9][10] and dubstep.[11]

Someone did almost kill Zappa by pushing him into an orchestra pit but it just made him angrier.

I think someone like MIles Davis was a bigger douchebag but his music was instrumental and some it was traditionally "sensitive," as opposed to full. There's a story about a young Zappa trying to .

Hell, Bartok and Mozart had pretty sick senses of humor but none of it really found its way into their music (except that MOzart ass-licking song). Charles MIngus was a super weird and angry dude who fucking punched out his band members and broke a dude's tooth, destroying the guy's range, but again, you don't get a sense of this from his art.

Zappa's personality was on display in full form, warts in all, in a way it wasn't for a lot of other composers or musicians. It wasn't like JOhn Lennon whose music was a way to make himself understood and sympathetic, even though he was once a violent woman-smacking hoodlum, (I don't really see him as a hypocrite because I think he sincerely wanted to be a better person) and really communicate to people. I think Zappa really didn't care if people listened and he just happened to get lucky and famous and have an audience.

Also, Bowie fucking broke up the Spiders from Mars and didn't tell them until he made a surprise announcement at the last show of the tour. That's just as douchey as Zappa bailing on the Mothers.

And let's not even get started on Beefheart starving the Magic Band half to death and terrorizing them into learning and rehearsing his stuff. I think I recall some of the members saying he was basically like a cult leader and had read all these books on how to manipulate people (I think Zoot Horn Rollo talks about this).

Still love all thier music though! Zappa was more honest about who he was in some ways, maybe? And there aren't any stories about beating the shit out of people; he would just fire them and hire someone else.

I like Zappa's music, but I think your scores are pretty inflated. I think almost every one of his studio albums had filler, save for Hot Rats and Waka Jawaka maybe, which I do consider 10s. As far as his live albums go, I think they trump the studio stuff. The studio albums sound great and have their own flavors, but the best performances were done live, Roxy & Elsewhere? Get the fuck out of here, excellent album. The Fillmore? All those live compilations? That's Zappa at his finest.

i know other artist can be cunts but something about zappa's face just makes me fucking hate his cunty attitude i dont like kanye's music at all but he is more tolerable in my opinion

*I think someone like MIles Davis was a bigger douchebag but his music was instrumental and some it was traditionally "sensitive" and not satirical or inflammatory in that regard. I mean, MIles was pretty racist against white people and not particularly nice to people in general, especially women. Zappa had his issues too but he wasn't as flagrantly abusive and lead an integrated rock band in his youth when it was still a big no-no.

>Have you ever had a friend try to make an inside joke, where they chide and wink- and you get it, but don't find it at all funny and very try hard?

example?

>he's black
>not rock music

nope.avi

>funny goy

OK I didn't pay it much attention but since it's a Zappa thread I'll ask anyway, not trolling.

I saw someone post some solo-heavy Zappa album so I listened to it and I was surprised how great of a player Zappa was. So I dug up a Zappa chart and decided it was time to listen to classics.

So I started with Apostrophe and… I dunno. It's OK but sounds dated and has these cringeworthy lyrics about yellow snow.

What should I listen to instead? Loved the solos, would like some poppy prog with less jazz and jams.

I mean to say Miles working with Gil Evans was less of a risk in some ways than Zappa playing in an integrated band in the middle of bumblefuck california desert where on at least one occasion displeased racists tried to fuck them up.

Hot Rats, definitely

he's a good goy

Are you Jewish? No? You're Italian?

OK thanks

(You)

>no Sheik, which is another 10
bruh

How is Uncle Meat a 10? I mean yeah nigga, it's innovative for the sake of being innovative, and dog breath in the year of the plague is my favorite song of all time, but even in that case, the second part of the song is simply asinine. I even have this album on vinyl, just for dog breath. Maybe it was far more impressive to make such an album in 1969 but most of this shit sounds like what I would make in Guitar Pro 5 as a 14 year old.
Unique equals good??????? No matter what? Sigh

>Someone did almost kill Zappa by pushing him into an orchestra pit but it just made him angrier.
fucking kek

If you motherfuckers don't at LEAST give me a pity response I will be a very unhappy camper when I check on the archived thread tomorrow morning. Goodnight, Sup Forums, I love you, sweet dreams.
Also,
Where were you?

For how much Sup Forums dickrides Beefheart and Zappa, I can almost be sure i'm gonna be just as let down when I finally listen to Zappa as I was when I listened to Beefheart.

>when I finally listen to Zappa
can i be the one to give you your first zappa?
youtube.com/watch?v=nllWDc8_9lw

beef heart is literal shit
sheik yerbouti -> freak out -> absolutely free
go go go

Uh just one more thing before bed, is this mousepad in poor taste or is it avant garde? I made it myself

I mean, that's a pretty ok song, good instrumentation, but considering i'm a big progfag i'll probably just go with Hot Rats as my first full Zappa album.

i love it, keep it up

How is Bobby Brown Goes Down not a meme

>9/10s like Lumpy Gravy and Apostrophe
bitch

Who was the tard who started this Zappa vs Bowie rivalry in the first place? It wouldn't have been a topic of discussion in the first place had one faggot not started it. I bet it was a newfag who spent his first week on RYM when Bowie died.

KISS MY HINEY XDD

>he had genuine talent, but he wasted it "haha im so much better than all the popular artist look at how I make fun of them with my prog rock", although Hot Rats is great

this so fucking much
bowie's just meh though, most of his albums have a few great songs and a bunch of unremarkable shit, kinda like the stones

He did nothing wrong

>i'll probably just go with Hot Rats as my first full Zappa album.

smart move

Yeah, this is definitely not the way to approach Zappa's or anyone's music for that matter. You could do this: listen to an album the first time without reading the lyrics and trying to ''get it''; then listen to an album on your speakers; then listen to it on your headphones; try listening to it while you're extremely happy, very sad, nervous, etc.; then look up the lyrics and critics.

FUCK YOU CAPTAIN TOM

But seriously though, I think it has to do with that Adrian Belew story first being brought up on Sup Forums earlier this year, IIRC.

he was enormously talented as both a player and composer, but he had some questionably taste and produced a lot of bad music as a result. luckily he recorded so much stuff that there is a lot of brilliant music there among the shit

Continued: listen to the rhythms, concentrate on a particular instrument and how it sounds and compare that to the previous albums, maybe give albums your own ratings if your music player has an option and then listen to albums you didn't really like that much the first time a couple of more times, etc. I hope I've helped you. By the way, being a musician really helps you ''understand'' the ''weird'' music like Zappa's.

Just don't concern yourself with competition in music and who's better. Music is an art form and there's no best or the greatest. Everyone wins :-)

I love how he would always do pretty much whatever the hell he wanted. Even his guitar solos are spontaneous and illogical.

>especially in the form of the semi-bootleg remaster one of his engineers did.
Are you talking about the 1997 CD that Ryko quietly slipped on to store shelves (with Gail and Dweezel's approval, of course)? I feel extremely lucky to own that, considering that I bought it second-hand without knowing a damn thing.

>save the polemics for Congressional Hearings

This shitty and ignorant logic is based on the assumption that the democratic system functions properly.

Wtf is wrong about calling bullshit on bullshit things? Why would he refrain from saying what he thought was unfair or point fingers at shitty people?

Just cause some autists on mu or the usa find 'polemics' something aesthetically wrong, that doesnt make his music or lyrics any worse.