Genuine question:

Genuine question:
What's up with female musicians?

95% of the time I hear a female vocalist, they're singing about some form of romance, or lack thereof. When I hear a male vocalist, it's maybe 50% of the time.

I'm not saying that women CAN'T do other kinds of music, but there's definitely a lack of diversity in female music.

>pic related: Potentially worst offender.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7uLo7qHlb8
youtube.com/watch?v=ufEtQcisrgg
youtube.com/watch?v=64_w93sMLXc
youtube.com/watch?v=Zy61W0rQZ7g
grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What else to you expect women to sing about? Most of them don't have much else going on I don't think

romance is the best song topic though

I don't know, but that can't really be it, can it?

Because that's what's marketable.

Autism

Love is a powerful thing and so is music. So it's cool.

We can all agree that Chelsea Wolfe is an exception to this though, right? I mean, her last album was all about sleep paralysis and shit...

Don't get me wrong, she still sings a lot about love, but that's only like 30% of her material?

Portishead

1)
stop being autistic
2)
>what are societal pressures?

I start to believe people on here are genuinely sexist. It's so rampant on this board.

Women are uninteresting. Blame evolution.

>When I hear a male vocalist, it's maybe 50% of the time.
Not even close. I just shuffled through 50 songs with male singers and 3 of them were about romance on some level. And those were actually interesting like Spiritualized.

>people on here are genuinely sexist

Where do you think you are?

I knew that from day one.

This place is a goddamn cesspool...

If by "sexist" you mean "have basic critical thinking skills"

Sexist doesn't mean something negative about the female gender, it means giving special treatment. They'd be being sexist if they pretended that women were on equal footing on every level. AKA what you're doing.

>EQUALITY EQUALITY EQUALITY
>nuh uh wait give me special treatment

Yeah, but for every Wolfe or female singer you have a Byrne, Bird, Bowie, Devo, TMBG and King Gizzard

It's not sexist if it's true. Facts are impartial, and the facts look to say that women primarily sing about relationships.

Been here 8 years. Never seen it as bad as it has been in the past year or two. We're not all degenerate man children.

>Facts
Care to back up these facts?
I meant mostly the constant threads we have every day about "women only like music for a personality accessory". Makes me cringe. This is a little different I guess.

Can we make a containment board called /nu/ for people like you?

>Le non sexist people are "nu-male" strawmen
Jesus just kill yourself. Do you people leave the house?

>"women only like music for a personality accessory"
I support that

Not literally all women but yeah it's pretty disproportionate

yall are gay and dumb too

Listen to better females

>le person that says something negative about a woman is doing it because she's a woman

How many times has this gotten you laid so far?

This is such bullshit and you know it. I know many women who love music and none of them use it as some kind of showing off tool. It's embarrassing that people actually believe this garbage. This is why I don't trust people on Sup Forums. You use the Internet so god damn much you start to forget that the real world is entirely different to all of this shit that Sup Forums feeds you.

>tripfag
Oh the irony

Pointing out a flaw in your mind set isn't white knighting you uneducated child.

>Facts
Ok, pick an album with a female lead that has less than 50% songs about relationships. For every one you do, I'll name three with male leads.

their main demographic are women. the most popular topic that women like to discuss is romance, or lack thereof. Girls singing about this is what makes them marketable to their target audience.

But really, what song isn't about love or lack thereof? Many lyrics may not spell it out but the majority of songs written have been at least loosely about love or lack thereof.

>there are people on Sup Forums who get triggered by "sexism"
Why does the board dedicated to my main interest have to be the one of the only ones infested with tumblr?

>The most popular conversation topic among men is sports.
>No one writes music about sports.

pls explain

That's not a fact. You're still not backing yourself up with any solid examples.

Lad I hate social justice, third wave feminism and all this left winged progressive shit, that doesn't mean I outright hate women.

>I know many women who love music and none of them use it as some kind of showing off tool.
5 women =/= most women

>You use the Internet so god damn much you start to forget that the real world is entirely different to all of this shit that Sup Forums feeds you.
>blah blah blah irrelevant diatribe
Spoken like a true woman

"This guy's le fedora neckbeard manchild for some reason and this nullifies the points he made"

>no one writes music about sports.
youtube.com/watch?v=C7uLo7qHlb8

I'm proposing an experiment. We're going to test if this is true.

male musicians and songwriters aren't explicitly selling their music to men. the demographic is different. These female musicians OP speaks of are selling their music to women, probably young women. In western culture it's very rare for a man to like a song even sung by a woman, but it's perfectly normal for women to like songs from both genders.

>spoken like a true woman
Ad hominem insults aren't valid arguments.

I'd ask you to name five of those female led albums yourself, except that this is a really really stupid way to prove your point. Just give us facts.

>Sports

I don't dislike female music. I got St. Vincent, Gin Wigmore and Katzenjammer stuff

Did I say it was automatically? No, just in you're case.

You're a bigot and you being too dumb to understand what that means doesn't change that, you're giving special treatment to people because of their sex. You're against sexism, right?

Go complain about lack of diversity in a fictional TV show or something you self hating nu-male cuck

No one in here will provide facts. They'll just continue to spout bullshit from their red pill classes.

>modern baseball

>self hating nu-male cuck
Again, not a valid argument. I don't hate myself nor do I hate males or females in general. You can make assumptions about me all you like that doesn't make it any truer though.

Besides, "nu-males" just like "chads" are a fictional straw man that you've blindly started to believe exist. And if they do exist, they mustn't be in large numbers because I've never heard anyone taking about this conspiracy. Real life is different to the Internet friend.

How many artists give a shit about sports though?

>truth
>autism

dont you have some sandwiches to be making

With a response like that I'll assume you're 14 year old who just got their first dose of the Internet.

youtube.com/watch?v=ufEtQcisrgg

I don't hate women either. that doesn't mean i'll start whiteknighting them and crying about sexism like these people:

why is this white knight shitting up the thread

or is it an actual woman

it's the same person brah

>reeeeee let me be a piece of shit in piece
lmaoing at your "lives"

>Besides, "nu-males" just like "chads" are a fictional straw man that you've blindly started to believe exist.
I thought these people existed before I discovered the internet

>And if they do exist, they mustn't be in large numbers because I've never heard anyone taking about this conspiracy.
What, insecure beta males that go out of their way to coddle women for being women under the hopes it will get them laid? These people are rampant and they're more common than ever, I can account for it living in nu-male capital of the world (seattle)

Anyway the underlying point is that you have a dumb and childish understanding of what "sexism" means and why it's supposed to be a bad thing. You are the thing you mock.

hes not lying though desu

typical women, showing her ass on on album cover

Thank you for finally giving me a reasonable response to read through. Look, if you think I'm white knighting, that's absolutely fine. I didn't think I was but whatever. I always put that under reh guise of actually defending a particular person or something. I didn't see my argument as a defence or emotional attack on you and others, it was more as a pointing out a flaw in the arguments. So I thought anyway.

Generally I'd be the last person to be caught making excuses and defending women.

Where can I get this shirt?

Not a Taylor fan, but it's hilarious.

>people still thinking posting a meme can qualify as a legitimate retort

It's white knighting if you're defending someone just for being female. Doing anything just because something is anything is bad, that's what prejudice is. It's why racism and sexism (those two nebulous scary words you were warned about) are bad things.

Otherwise it's totally cool, I'm sorry for the inane diatribe but it often feels like the only way to argue with people like that is to mock them with half baked insults that everyone realizes is just banter except for faux-intellects that want to point out technical flaws in things. The same people that think the plural "women" refers to all women on planet earth

literally women are dumb

wud dhe fug?

All good. I personally can't stand meme culture in general so that's probably why I don't respond well to those kinds of replies. I just see it as insufferable and lazy to try and get your point across that way.

Sorry, that's just how I feel. It's good to be able to actually talk through it though.

dumb woman

Except naturally men feel the need to protect women because they are weaker physically

Is this biological or cultural you think?

Probably both. I would say humans are naturally altruistic.

and mentally, dont forget that

it's just a pop music thing in general to focus near-exclusively on romance. the issue here, i think, is that pop is one of the few genres with a noticeable female presence (or face, anyway), so often it constitutes the bulk of our exposure to female musicians, whereas just about every other genre imaginable is male-dominated.

the real question seems to me, why are women so prominent in pop but not in other genres?

because when guys want to hear actual good music they dont want to hear a woman

girl's dont actually like music so it doesnt matter what they "want" to hear

>actual reply below

because i dont want to fucking hear a woman sing in actual good, real music

Biological. Men are built for building shelter and finding food, and women are built for making and caring for children. We'd be dead if either of those things were neglected, so it's a different but equal sort of thing.

However.... None of those have to do with manipulating your vocals chords in funny ways or plucking and holding down strings...

>girls dont actually like music

can you elaborate?

>equal

hahaha

no

Because men like seeing women.

Not other guy
But I used to work at a radio station (for a little over four years), and work with musicians frequently still

From what I gather, women MORE OFTEN (not always) use music to socialize, talk about, dance to, etc.
At the radio station, women took requests waaaay more often than men. About a third of the women would advertise at every break in music to 'call in and make a request'. Most of the men wouldn't mention it.

Working with musicians, way more women want to 'just sing'. Regardless of talent. Those that do play an instrument, it's usually bass guitar.
I've encountered men that just want to sing, but there are by and far more male musicians than female musicians.

That is true but on some level it's just kind of a dumb vapid thing

It's usually extremely predictable the kind of music women like, different but only different in the laziest and most inoffensive way possible. Often without any kind of redeeming qualities or sense of purpose about it, just different for the sake of it. Lana Del Rey, Halsey, Breaking Benjamin, Falling in Reverse. It's pseudo-artsy, they're only interested in looking a certain way.

To them, music is a status symbol like so is most everything else.

So rather than try to refute OP's statements everyone is just calling each other sexist.

Trippyfag is right ya know.

Why bass guitar? Because it's simple?

Not saying it's super easy or anything. I play it myself.

Having a logical argument with women is like playing chess with a pigeon, it doesn't matter how good you are at it because it has no effect on them and they don't play the game properly.

Women don't operate on logic, they operate on instinct. In this case their instinct is "someone said something negative about women and fedora neckbeard etcetera is something I don't like on an instinctual level so I'll just call them neckbeard fedora". They don't think that constitutes a rebuttal, they don't think at all. They just go through the motions like they're biologically programmed to.

If you want a woman to support the immigration of muslim refugees you show her a picture of a cute little Iraqi girl. If you want a woman to oppose the immigration of muslim refugees you show a picture of greasy middle eastern men gangraping an innocent looking white girl. If you want a man to support or oppose the immigration of muslim refugees you give him facts and logic about the circumstances that he can use to put into context his opinion about what the best decision is.

99% of "arguments" with a woman can be dismantled by saying "What do you mean?", and then watching them be unable to construct a rebuttal beyond more unsubstantiated statements.

You don't change a woman's mind, you change her feelings.

>lack of diversity in female music
Maybe on the radio and pitchfork, but if you look for it you will find many many many examples of what you seem to be looking for.

This

Kaitlyn got pregnat and fat i really dont like her

But her face is still cute

But shes fat snd has a kid

WHAT A PREDICAMENT

I don't know. I think because it's in a lot of popular music, and in those genres the bass is the easiest one to play besides singing.
But I also never asked them. The ones I did hear play were pretty awful.
G-G-G-G-C-C-C-C-G-G-G-G-D-D-D-D
Which, to be fair, is also the level I hear about half of bassists play at.

There's deerhoof...
youtube.com/watch?v=64_w93sMLXc
And Mariko Goto...
youtube.com/watch?v=Zy61W0rQZ7g

> tfw dont even know what fucking note is what other than the open strings EADG

tabs are cancer and theyre slowly killing me

>a-at least i can make short riffs that sound cool

they dont actually sound cool

why did i pick bass
everyone hates the bassist
WE EVEN HATE OURSELVES

An actual answer - courtesy of Grimes:

G: 'Production is the most bro-y field that I’ve ever tried to work in. It’s terribly, terribly inhospitable to women. It feels like the 1920s. I studied science in school. I have four brothers. My whole life I’ve been in bro-y situations. But female music production is something we hear so little of– female producers that are not collaborating with male producers. There’s Kate Bush. And Sinéad O'Connor produced her own first album. I cannot think of a lot of other examples. Take co-producers out of the equation. To actually just have a solo female voice, no male engineers in the room, no male co-producers, I can count the examples on one hand. Why is that the case? Why is this specific medium so inhospitable to women? There’s very little music that doesn’t involve men at some point in the chain. Meanwhile, my album is being mixed and probably mastered by a guy. Even playing shows, all sound guys are men. There are so many barriers for women to do anything besides singing in this medium, and music is such a big part of the culture.'

A: 'Are people just afraid to trust women with creative control?'

G: 'With Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling sent it out and forty people turned it down. I just watched this Tina Turner documentary, and she was like, 'Yeah, I was in my late thirties or forties when I started doing my solo career, and it took me a really long time to get someone who would take a chance on me.’ Older women can sell. Madonna can sell out any venue. The weird gatekeepers keep this idea that youth and beauty are the most important things, when they’re clearly not. When Joan Didion did the Céline ad, everyone freaked out. It was news everywhere. People actively want this. Why is it still such an anomaly? Maybe the gatekeepers are dudes who want the thing they spend most of their day on to be something they find sexually appealing. Why are all these songs, every single song on the radio, about sex? Maybe because everything is by guys.'

There you have it.

grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

>tumblr.com

You can't handle my tooth

>tumblr

Kek. Best post in this thread famiglia

This. That'd be a pretty neat shirt tobehonest.

speaking from experience i see women and almost all smart phone using normies these days do have phones or android phones thus hage issues with the concept of internet vs irl

im so suprised there have been no articles focuses on the concept

tldr - normies can't into internet vs in the real world

they are both not straw men i assure you they are akin to sterotypes that go unspoken in our society but are real.

Because women lack the divine spark that men have. Notwithstanding exceptional individuals they're incubators and only in the last 100 years they've become something else. Real talk.

not all female muscians are like grimes tho but yeah she does make a good point.

>""points""
>just saying that peoples lived experiences dont matter and also an ad hominem attack
yes gotta love those valid points youre thinking

I would make such music too if I were a female musician desu.

>To them, music is a status symbol

yeah because you dont see men liking either rap music to seem like a "real man" and to seem like they fuck lots of bitches or indie to seem deep and intellectual and underground, no, its only women using music for their social status