How many of these are actually ''classic'' albums?

How many of these are actually ''classic'' albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/theneedledrop/r5.0
youtube.com/watch?v=92XVwY54h5k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All of 'em

All except the Glow

you know which

what could he possibly say about these that hasn't been said already?

Bowie, Nirvana, and Nas?

Quite a lot about The Glow Pt 2. and In Utero, those videos were quite good, the rest were meh

They are all certainly classics in the genres they're a part of

Ziggy, Illmatic, Horses.

I mean, CTTE is a prog rock classic but that genre should not be taken seriously.

what does 'classic' even mean

Yup.

Illmatic and Ziggy Stardust

more like carsic albums am i right?

Popular and old.

All of them are classics if you're not a pleb. Five of them if you ARE a pleb and perhaps only 2 if you are an absolute simpleton.

I personally don't like Yes, but you can't argue that they're all classic albums, at least in their genre.

All of them you fucking autist

fucking this. people have written books about bowie and nirvana. his classic reviews would come off as a lot more useful if they were of albums that were a bit a lesser known.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/theneedledrop/r5.0

All except Nas

Calling something a "classic" comes from studying media considered the classics, which is anything from the Classical Age (so mostly Greek and Roman literature).

Classic is derived from 'classicus', which means 'of the highest classes'; this is fairly erroneous, as the classics studied are simply the ones that survived, not the absolute best of their time. However, for centuries following the fall of the Roman Empire, such media was quite literally the best works that existed in Europe, and as such, learning the classics was considered extremely important for anyone claiming an intellectual background (and, as such, became a required part of education for a very long time [some of which stands today, such as the Odyssey or Antigone]).

The application of this to modern music follows a very loose understanding of this, as 20th century music and beyond has a much better track record of being available. The implication is that these albums are both works of high quality, and are required listening as part of being an educated music fan.

"Classic" is essentially an older word for "Essential". But as we know from essential charts, that does not make them the best by any stretch.

Illmatic is a stone cold classic, probably the greatest hip-hop album ever made.

Regardless of your opinion on the genre, Illmatic is certainly considered a classic in hip-hop.

shut up nerd

I think Antwan Fantwan doesn't even care if they were classic or not, he just wants to have a segment were he can review old albums.

I disagree with the assertion that something has to be 'old' to be considered 'classic', sure, one mark of a 'classic' album is it's ability to remain listenable over a long period of time, but how long is that period of time...
Take The Glow pt.2, probably not considered a 'classic' by a lot of definitions, it was released in 2000, some 16 years ago, but its not considered classic from reading the suggestions of this thread.
Why is that, 16 years is not that much shorter than 18, which is how old ITAOTS is, yet that album IS considered classic, what is it that makes everything after the year 2000 not eligible for classic status
point of reference: I consider Titus Andronicus' 2010 album "The Monitor" to be a classic album, it came out and perfectly represented the context it was released in for a subsection of society disillusioned with the direction modern society is taking. This album is my most recent 'classic'.

>tl;dr: what is the amount of time after which one can consider a piece of music 'classic', I think 5 years

Close to the Edge is pretty classic my guy

dis

I like you nerds

Is this a classic?

youtube.com/watch?v=92XVwY54h5k

Of course

bowie - rise and fall 6/10
glow pt. 2 - 10/10
yes - dunno
nirvana - 5/10
hip hop is not music
patti smith is shitty daddy stuff

according to my taste only one of those albums (glow pt. 2) is a classic.

how edgy

>daddy stuff

it's the complete opposite, you swine.

Illmatic is the only classic album there. Seriously. It's the only one that was actually a "game-changer" so to speak. Bowie was always just a watered-down version of what actual avant-garde artists were doing. The Glow Pt. 2 is okay but musicially it's not special, it's just a typical indie rock album that gets overrated because MUH FEELZZZ. the Yes album is like...not relevant in any as far as prog rock goes he would have been better off reviewing ITCOTCK or even DSOTM. the Yes album is just the hipster alternative to those two. In Utero is basically a shitty version of Nevermind, although Nevermind is *arguably* a classic (even though Nirvana just ripped off the sound of bands like Pixies and Husker Du). and the last one is literally who?

Illmatic literally changed an entire genre, nothing before Illmatic sounded like Illmatic, not in the mainstream, not in the underground--nothing. That's why it's the only one worthy of being called a "classic" on that last.

All of them except The Glow Pt 2.

Bowie, Microphones, Nirvana

Horses was a gamechanger, probably moreso than Illmatic, and In Utero is a significant departure from Nevermind. Nevermind was a Butch Vig produced album that had abrasive pop songs and In Utero was a Steve Albini produced album that had tracks like Scentless Apprentices and Very Ape that were going into Jesus Lizard territory.

You're retarded.

>Guy who usually reviews new albums
>Reviews older albums sometimes, and uses the word "classic" to distinguish them from his usual reviews.

It's not that hard guys.

>In Utero is basically a shitty version of Nevermind
literally one of the most pleb opinions i've ever heard someone seriously express on this board

You could hardly be any more wrong. Ziggy enabled "weirder" artists to enter the maintream conscience, you just have to look at how many musicians, and even artists from other fields, speak about him, about how he allowed them to be themselves. His flamboyant Ziggy persona was scandalous for the time. Added to that, the music is just fucking brilliant, it's an incredible album. In Utero shits on Nevermind, and Patti Smith - "who"!? Man, you need to learn some shit, Patti Smith redefined everything, it's probably the most important album out of the lot, even the album cover alone had a phenomenal impact. Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell are the only females who can match Patti Smith for influence.

I understand saying The Glow isn't a classic in terms of influence yet, and I hate Yes, but I can understand their significance in their genre. At least we agree on Illmatic.

I second this sentiment.

All except Close to the Edge

2, Illmatic and The Glow pt2

Fuck money grubbing fantano. I missed when classics weeks were only after christmas. Being comfy and watching your favorite records getting reviewed while it was snowing outside and year was about to turn.

Fuck you fantano

>the last one is literally who
I cannot tell what is b8 anymore

Nas & Nirvana.

>WATCHED
eww

behold, the only correct response in this thread

How the fuck could anybody not think that Horses is a classic album

>The Glow Pt. 2 is okay but musicially it's not special, it's just a typical indie rock album that gets overrated because MUH FEELZZZ.

try harder

>actual classics
top 3
>mediocre at best
bottom 3

CTTE - it's the culmination of prog
Gayvid Blowie - the culmination of making love to your eagle (I much prefer Hunky Dory though; loved the jazzy vibe on some songs)
The Microphones - pretty good but not a "classic". I would suggest an Elliott Smith album if we were to include "indie" music.
Nirvana - just no
Horses - I understand the importance of it but I don't personally enjoy it. I guess it could be called a classic
Illmatic - similar to Horses but more enjoyable

>Nirvana - just no
LMAO I H8 NIRVANA BECUZ EVERYONE WEARS SHIRT OF NIRVANA SMILEY THEY TOO POPULAR 4 ME SO I DISLIKE IN UTERO ALTHOUGH IT'S A FUCKING MASTERPIECE xDDDD