Reminder that a US court judge has decided that Led Zeppelin objectively did not steal the riff to Stairway from the...

Reminder that a US court judge has decided that Led Zeppelin objectively did not steal the riff to Stairway from the song 'Taurus' by Spirit. CASE CLOSED!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tWeejHJxGjs
youtube.com/watch?v=59QCx38n5sM
youtube.com/watch?v=iZq3i94mSsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LPzVvP_Eutg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They did even if they rule they didn't.

lol you know better than a US court judge?

who the fuck are you, buddy?

>le plagiarism meme

it's ridiculous this even had to go to court

here's a pic of me bub

> only the white band that they stole from gets to sue them

Led Zeppelin LITERALLY stole from blind African-Americans. Stealing from the blind is what scum do.

>stealing "intellectual property"

Why is copyright a thing?

lol you on a bender again, john?

why aren't you in the band?

It was a jury that decided, actually and apparently they were only allowed to look at the sheet music and listen to live musicians playing said sheet music.

Capitalism

They stole it and made it better. The original is garbage, that's why no one knows it.

They should've been gracious and mentioned 'bring it on home' as an hommage_cover, and mentioned the artist very explicitely every time it was first introduced. Instead, indeed, they robbed in a way far worse than regular plagiarism, like frusciante (pictured stoned above) tried to rob dreamjail, but is mathematically too retarded.

When judges become music critics you know the justice system is fucked

> tour with Taurus
> shamelessly rip off their song in the intro of Stairway to Heaven
> Make the most popular rock song of all time
> Get sued only 45 years later
> Have enough cash and influence so that they win the case
> JimmyPageLaughing.jpg

>hurr durr muh superior authority

fuck off, typical americans, if you have the money, you can buy your way out of anything

Zeppelin actually lost the first parts of this case, first they tried to stop it from going to court in the first place then they tried stopping it from going to court in America (or Britain, whichever it went to court in, can't remember atm). If money was the deciding factor in this case it never would've been a case in the first place.

> Stealing from is what scum do
> Torrenting music is right, record companies are evil

Let's just agree here that you can't "steal" music. What did they steal from them, fucking master tapes?

Yep, they should've given credit to black artists and Led Zep are notorious for this shit. But so what? These black artists would never see Led Zeppelin's level of success anyway, they were old and didn't lose anything.

Copying songs note for note should definitely be punished, but pretty much every justice system is inherently corrupt.

Lets all celebrate by listening to some Led Zeppelin on Spotify. I have Led Zep II queued up on it right now...

In My Time Of Dying

HEY HEY MOMMA SAID

Everyone stole from everyone back then. For example, Kiss swiped the riff in Detroit Rock City from Grand Funk Railroad's Footstompin' Music.

Ha, I just put that on right now and my cat got startled when the drums kick in.

At least that song was credited properly to the original authors.

Good. Accusations of "plagiarism" in music are fucking retarded, especially music that's ultimately based around blues and folk standards.

Everyone who seriously supported Spirit in this case did so solely because Led Zeppelin are popular and are "dadrock."

Good. It's pretty obvious Page used Taurus as a starting point for Stairway... whether or not it was deliberate or not.

Fact is there's very little that is similar to both songs though. Certainly not enough that the Spirit guys deserve writing credits on Stairway.

Those old blues songs were part of our American folk tradition. Britbongs were just a bunch of fanboys without the cultural connections to those songs.

The amount of material Zeppelin actually stole is only a small fraction of their discography. And even then most of the songs that used stolen material were so different from the original that it would be pointless to give them credit.

youtube.com/watch?v=tWeejHJxGjs

When is this guy going to sue Spirit?

They didn't "steal" them though. Most of them were standards within the blues canon. Muddy Waters/Howlin Wolf/whoever stole them just as much as Led Zeppelin did.

but what does Michio Kaku have to do with this?

no zed stole them. stop defending a bunch rich sleazy cunts who wouldn't give a fuck about you
get a life

Mark Farner would lose that case in seconds--there's no way he'd compete with Gene Simmons's money and Jew connections.

Taurus has more in common with this song than Stairway to Heaven has in common with Taurus.

Bonny's drumming on that track is freaking insane.

*coughs loudly*
A significant portion of the blues songs they took were copyrighted and written by this man.

Top retort.

>Good. It's pretty obvious Page used Taurus as a starting point for Stairway... whether or not it was deliberate or not.

lol the mental gymnastics in this line.

so it's obvious that Page decided to use it as a starting point even if he wasn't cognizant of doing so. right.

and i love the purposefully ambiguous renaming of "starting point".

you should be a defense attorney.

And I'm an idiot because I forgot to upload the image.

Maybe so but you think HW and Muddy didn't steal licks from Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, and who knows who else?

>born 1915
Nope he's at least 70 years too late.
And you think Robert Johnson and Leadbelly were some unique composers who didn't almost exclusively recycle traditional music that was passed down to them from generations ago?

Hint: It wasn't just licks they took from his songs. Zeppelin agreed to pay him out of court btw, so it's not like even they'd deny it like they deny Stairway.

It's a no-brainer. Even if Page was like "yes I took their riff" I still don't think you could go through the courts, a settlement out of court would be the only option. If one ruling like this was to go through the entire recording industry would be fucked forever, everyone would be frivolously suing everyone until the end of time

And poor old Bob and Lead were dead before the 1950s even began, they never had a chance to make any decent money or have their nuts licked by white baby boomer kids like the postwar electric blues guys did.

I read some of Christgau's Bachman-Turner Overdrive reviews and he comments on the numerous purloined riffs in their songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=59QCx38n5sM

youtube.com/watch?v=iZq3i94mSsQ

Lyrics are generally traditional too but variate based on generation. Also settling outside of court is usually easier than actually going through a full civil trial especially if it's a high profile case.

>Lyrics are generally traditional
Lyrics of what?

>They didn't "steal" them though. Most of them were standards
Just because something is labeled a standard doesn't mean it's not stealing or plagiarism. Also not ever song they lifted from was considered a standard.

You think the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, GFR, and every other blues-based rock group back then didn't steal licks from Muddy, Wolf, BB King, and others? Shit, why only pick on LZ?

come back we miss you

>Just because something is labeled a standard doesn't mean it's not stealing or plagiarism
Umm..yes it does. That's literally what traditional music is. Blues and other American folk music genres were especially ephemeral when it comes to their passed down standards.
>Also not ever song they lifted from was considered a standard.
The ones they """"stole"""" from black musicians are (i.e. every accused """"stolen"""" song that isn't Dazed and Confused or Stairway to Heaven).

>implying it doesn't count if it's not cognizant
Wtf are you talking about? He can use it as a starting point whether or not he's aware of it. And it's obvious he did since they toured together and he owns several of their albums.

That doesn't mean Spirit deserve credit for the song though.

The Stones were ordered to pay Johnson's estate once the courts realized his music wasn't PD too you know.

John plz save us Josh Klingfaggot sucks.

>The ones they """"stole"""" from black musicians are
Yeah every single song they took from a black musician was a standard. Fuck off dumbass.

Also they ripped off more music from white musicians than just Dazed and Stairway. Why would you even have this discussion if you don't know wtf you're talking about?

>Johnson's estate
What estate? The guy probably had all of $20 to his name when he died.

Adding to this, at least with the Stones they took Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters on tour with them well after the former had surpassed the latter as stars. The Stones were one of the few 60s groups/artists who put their money where their mouth is when it came to their love of the blues.

It should be said though that it was only Clapton (and yes, I know all about the Wogs story) who willingly paid the money when it was discovered Johnson's music wasn't public domain and he also paid the expenses for Howlin' Wolf's funerals. Janis Joplin got Bessie Smith a headstone.

What am I doing with my life.

He had kids and grandkids, etc who are considered his legal heirs even if they were illegitimate.

If we're resorting to "lol ur dumb xD" now instead of actually refuting points, I'd like to point out that you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about. You literally implied two posts ago that traditional music can be plagiarized.

There was one other bluesman who died much more recently (90s-2000s?) that the Stones paid for his funeral. I forget the guy's name though.

Hey everyone, claiming that music can be "owned" and thus "ripped off" as a means of discrediting a musicians talent as a "songwriter" is literally rockism.

Everyone ITT bashing Led Zeppelin is ironically a rockist by definition.

Rockists GTFO. Go back to other website.

>and he also paid the expenses for Howlin' Wolf's funerals

Though Wolf was pretty well-off when he died due to his shrew Jew-tier money skills.

>These black artists would never see Led Zeppelin's level of success anyway, they were old and didn't lose anything.
They would have gotten songwriting royalties.

I'm not just calling you dumb. I'm telling you why you're wrong as well as calling you dumb. If you're going to pretend my posts don't count because I use well placed insults then enjoy taking the easy way out.

>implying traditional music can't be plagiarized
all music can be plagiarized dumbass. Just because it has a special label on it doesn't change that. You're equating the fact that it's not illegal to mean it isn't real.

Probably John Lee Hooker but part of me wants to think he died rich.

Hubert Sumlin

I wouldn't be calling them out if they didn't vehemently deny it.

If I recorded myself singing the song Amazing Grace who would I need to pay royalties to?

This song sounds nothing like Stairway, how is it supposed to be a ripoff?

You're fucking retarded and missing the point entirely.

Musically illiterite contrarians who hate le successful dadrock band insist it's literally the same song.
Top retort.

>It's plagiarism to rework a generic as fuck blues progression or lick
There were so many bluesmen playing the same stuff, it was all very similar. By that logic any time a pop song uses that one chord progression there should be a big shitshow about it.

Nobody. But if you changed the name and claimed to have written it yourself then you'd be a dumbass piece of shit and nobody would like you.

this is how sampling was born
stealing others ppl work and getting paid off it
thx led

Did Led Zeppelin """""steal""""" one of your songs or something?

>Top retort.
I can't seriously respond to that post. You're not even trying. It's also pretty obvious you don't read the posts you're responding to. You just skim them and pick out the first thing you disagree with. At least be thoughtful and have a firm grasp on the subject matter at hand before starting a dialogue.

Jeez, Bob. How many times can you make the same stale joke about JLH's age in every review?

>I can't seriously respond to that post. You're not even trying.
Now you know how I felt responding to your last post.

This is funny because in my OP I said Zeppelin weren't guily and Spirit didn't deserve a writing credit.

But since I simply insinuate that Page probably did (whether knowingly or not) draw inspiration from Spirit's song everyone reacts like I'm just some contrarian anti-zeppelin douchebag.

This post proves my last post right and you don't even realize it. Top kek m8. Maybe try reading an entire post for once.

This. The similarity is unquestionable. But it's not enough for them to deserve fucking credit. Maybe if this had come to light years ago it would have been different. But back then nobody would have given a fuck anyway.

You realize you can take from a song on accident right?

>lol the mental gymnastics in this line.
autism

>Adding to this, at least with the Stones they took Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters on tour with them well after the former had surpassed the latter as stars

Actually Wolf and Muddy probably reached the peak of their wealth/fame in the 60s-70s thanks to white rockers. They can't have been making all that much money in the 50s when they only had the small black market to sell music to instead of the huge white baby boomer market.

even the live version of stairway to heaven is closer to this riff

I never denied this. It's indisputable that the Rolling Stones were bigger stars and more wealthy than Wolf or Waters when they took the two on tour with them.

Especially given that it was the late 70s when they took Waters with them.

Even if they did rip-off the intro why would Spirit deserve credit for the song?

Spirit makes a mediocre 2 minute instrumental and Zeppelin makes an 8 minute masterpiece but oooooh there was a similar progression at the start so give them credit and money for everything.

Bullshit.

Besides, I mean, who cares about Spirit, right? Probably nobody except a couple of old hippies in California had ever even heard of them before this case happened.

This, seriously. Fuck Jake Holmes as well.

Take that chord progression out of Stairway to heaven and what are you left with? Nothing but the ending. It's the basis of the whole song.
If you wrote something that was the basis of the entire song you deserve credit for co writing it and thus you deserve royalties.

It wasn't even the same progression though. The Spirit song just descends all the way down. It basically just starts with the same chord... maybe the first 2 chords. After that NOTHING. That's the reason it's bullshit.

Also what do you mean it was the basis of the entire song? Yes it was the beginning and launching point for the song. But the song changes so much that by the time you're halfway through the beginning cannot be compared musically. If they were still using that same progression then you might be right... but nope.

congratulations, everyone here is cheering you on now

Fly swatting at an elephant desu.

>It basically just starts with the same chord... maybe the first 2 chords. After that NOTHING.
Stairway literally the same with more flourishes.
The only real difference is that Spirit ends on a D or something while Stairway does that G-A-A thing.

congratulations you resurrected a dying thread for a worthless post

youtube.com/watch?v=LPzVvP_Eutg

dumbest comments section i've ever seen on a youtube video. i highly suggest checking it out

please stop. you're really embarrassing yourself

Knowing what you're talking about isn't embarrassing though.

>Watching Colbert ever

>posts colbert
>sides with minority opinion
Plz stop, ur embarrassing yourself m8

>Even if they did rip-off the intro why would Spirit deserve credit for the song?

actual dazed and confused led zeppelin muttonhead logic

But they DID rip-off Dazed and Confused. This is a different case entirely. Stay on topic you add ridden child.