/Daily/ Anarchy in the UK edition

would you look at the time The EU is fucked

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>the new topsters
topsters.net/
>down apparently

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>new plug.dj room now that it appears to work again

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension of bad choices and silent regret (aka "taste")

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our Skype group if you're interested.
>ha skype oh wow

Most importantly, Jobs and Growth

Previously on Daily

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxKkLG2qLg
mega.nz/#!ohYAVTpL!ovhIv5WYB1zlbfEE1zCJjrOyE_bMahaTWsuTSSUCvGw
youtube.com/watch?v=NR7_TbMIVnA]
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLqCHKfX54]
youtube.com/watch?v=D_RupNB1X8A&index=4&list=PLAhwneLBOOadswHFDKgFxDhqStwmbU0a3
youtube.com/watch?v=wMKGLc0vAS0
www68.zippyshare.com/v/yO4w9qRL/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do you balance new music vs. backlog?

listen to new music when it comes out
listen to backlog the rest of the time

chart out how you want to listen to music for the foreseeable future
organise it so that you have an equal amount of new music and backlog
use topsters or it's constituent other
trip up and participate mang

Thread theme: m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxKkLG2qLg

Alright.

>Brexit
>Scottish independence
>Irish reunification
>England sinking and burning at the same time
>Germany lost credibility
>France and Italy ready to step up and lead european reforms
what a time to be alive for a latin-yuro

Anyway, review time
I think it clicked, I've listened to enough funk recently to spot bad stuff when I hear it and this album seems to qualify. Which is a shame because it has a neat cover.
This whole thing tries to find an in-between to stand at the same distance from early disco music, funk and RnB. sadly it cannot really make heads or tails of it and ends up pounding some disco beats thus losing the rythmic drive of funk music, it keeps some funk-influenced basslines that do not go that well with the steady disco rythmic, it goes for a very RnB take on vocals that, through excessive layering, ends up bloating the final mix and make the whole thing feel too heavy and with too little movement.

>mfw satanic handjob over an EAI performance incorporating a reading of The Society of the Spectacle

>The Venetia Fair - The Circus
This album brought back bad memories of music I used to listen to when I was 13. I did not enjoy the vocals of this at all. Instrumentally it was better, but nothing of it blew me away either, sounded very generic actually.

>The I.L.Y.'s - I've Always Been Good at True Love
As mediocre as it gets. I'm a fan of Death Grips and I genuinly think that they are doing super creative things most of the time. It surprises me that they had the guts to release this medicore garage punk/noise rock album that does absolutely nothing new or challanging with all the hype behind Death Grips. The album is not bad by any means, just painfully medicore and very forgettable.

>Shaka Ponk - Loco Con Da Frenchy Talkin
My life is too short for this.

forgot my name

I can understand the bureaucracy surrounding the appointment of elite users and who listens to what at what time later, but one thing I have to ask is: how on earth do you manage to rate albums? Is it a haphazard "this meatloaf is 7/10" or is there an actual grading scale involved? One thing stopping me from using RYM is the fact that I can't think of criteria beyond my continued listening to it to decide an album is good.

>I can understand the bureaucracy surrounding the appointment of elite users
Elite users are the ones that shitpost the most.
>who listens to what at what time
We decide on a whim.
>how on earth do you manage to rate albums?
Pulling numbers out of our asses.

I always had a problem with rating things too, until I changed my whole mindset about it when I started posting on /daily/ 2 weeks ago. I always tried to rate it "objectively". It felt wrong giving a classic album a low score considering the skill and passion behind it and the influence it had. Now I changed the way I rate. It is 100% just a scale on how much I enjoy an album. I don't listen for any skill in the music, not any "influence" it had, I just rate according to two things: Did I enjoy this and will I listen to this again? I can give a classic album a bad rating now because I know that it doesn't say anything about the music other than: I did not like this because it is not my kind of music. And the number still doesn't mean anything, it is still super subjective. I can have a bad day and give an "okay album" a 5, on a different day I give it a 6. There are so many subjective things behind it... I don't take the number that serious anymore, it's just a reflection of my initial feeling of an album. And if my feeling about it changes some time later, I have no problem with changing the score again.

That's a great way of thinking about it.

rate my rating scale

what's the point of this general?

shit on ym chest

>It is 100% just a scale on how much I enjoy an album.
this
it doesn't really make sense to rate albums based on whether they would be good to someone else/are technically good

damn daniel

Christian Fennesz & Jim O'Rourke - It's Hard for Me to Say I'm Sorry
>new bleepy Jim O'Rourke
mega.nz/#!ohYAVTpL!ovhIv5WYB1zlbfEE1zCJjrOyE_bMahaTWsuTSSUCvGw

did a double take on the cover art, thought it was just some meme image you picced at first

>O'Rourke cover art
>not a meme image

Ween - The Mollusk
Didn't know that Ween could be so damn infectious
obviously, the big meme at the moment Ocean Man is a legit good song, but there's also a surprising amount of catchiness, and dare I say it, feels here. Didn't think they were capable of it after listening to Pure Guava.
This is a really good album

Yo La Tengo - Painful
In a word serene
I feel like I could sink into the floor while listening to this, it's not quite as good as any of the fore-bearers of shoegaze (MBV, Slowdive, Jesus and the Mary Chain) but it makes a damn good effort by stripping all of it away to the bear essentials
some of the tracks don't really land all that well, but it's a pretty solid album all things considered

what next

Portishead - Third

That's what you get for taking trans god suggestions

you got me to watch your waifu anime and it's nice. driving my car to nowhere in particular just cuz is something i should do at some point i guess

transgod is for open minded peoplel such as transgod only, you wouldnt understand

he's wrong, chamber pop pronk is great, not generic

I was referring to the Shaka Ponk album more than anything

>wasting fuel for no reason
genocide

true

what am I seeing

>feels
something the Mollusk doesn't get enough attention for imo

After Third I would rec hearing Feedbacker, but ya know just do you my man

I admittedly do this too :/

Good morning fellow nationalists!

Today is a good day to finish my chart and bathe in the tears of remainers.

do it with a bicycle pls
-burns fat
-saves fuel

Trish sent, filtered, reported.

>it's ok to burn fat which is basically solid oil
>not ok to burn fuel which is also oil
Wow, what's wrong with you green peace people?

Spoken like a true yurofag

fair, point still stands

the reason would be my own enjoyment :^)

Feels hit me hard when Mutilated Lips and It's Gonna Be (Alright) came on

Rec me some calming British/Irish folk music, like authentic folk ballads that sound great to someone who genuinely likes acoustic/folk singer songwriters

R.I.P Bill, Never forget

The Gloaming - 2
excellent 2016 dreamy folk, it's also really Irish
sung in Gaelic
it's up on SoulSeek I believe but if you don't want that I could Upload it for you

ok but why are you on the wrong side of history rn

HEALTHY AND EFFICIENCY

She Wanted to Leave and the Reprise hit me pretty hard

Roy Harper - Stormcock
David Thomas Broughton - The complete Guide to Insufficiency
Vashti Bunyan - Just another Diamond Day
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three

You've probably already heard Van Morrison and Nick Drake, right?

dude it's the current year
nah but seriously I guess your entitled to opinion even if that opinion is shite
why do you want them to leave the EU?

listening on YT right now, if I like it I'll dl it on slsk, thanks famalam

sweet recs, i'll check them out, and yes Van Morrison and NDrake are well-known and listened by me

Actually, I'm looking at slsk right now, and I can't find it. Everything is just downloads for that one Radiohead song lol. Would you have a link?

thought Nick Drake was from burma

He was born in Burma, but lived most of his life in England iirc

I'll upload it to the sharethread, it's writing to my Mega account as this post is made, currently at 25%, Australian Internet though, give me like 30 minutes

wow the meaning of the pig bojangle adores is actually the meaning of filthy proud2beamerican capitalism

coolcoolcool

What's this week's listenalong?
Also for your consideration: Oh, forgot about this. I should probably make something. Something horrible in order to lose.
>Go buy the record though. It's pretty.
Pretty doggo at the least. Not sure if I'll be checking this out since I'm not a fan of electroacoustic and the likes.

>Something horrible in order to lose.
I'd say it should come naturally but you are a champion pop music recommendeer after all.

I'm gonna try and make something and if I fail expect many different versions of the same jazz standard.

>1.5
Tell me how you felt about it all pls boss

Later, gotta go.

Ok. I'm leaving for a couple of days, so I'll have to look for it in the archive later

I don't have a strong opinion (I'm Canadian) I just think it's funny to flame the fire.
....but
>Sovereignty
>Immigration
>Security
>~10bn saved in UN fees
If you don't think a global superpower can survive without being propped up by the EU, you're mistaken. Sure their trade and markets will take a big hit while they figure their shit out, but any step away from globalism is a step in the right direction imo.
I don't want to derail this thread so I won't respond to any more comments about this.

Yeah, or perhaps you're just against the EU because Cameron is pro-EU and Cameron fucked a pig head, innit lad.

fair enough

Here's some brand new releases for you guys to check out, if you haven't already

Portishead - Third
Expected this to be happier, was really surprised with what I just listened to
obviously the drums are fantastic, but the songwriting and lyricism are also great

Bone Machine and Bug next, because that is what the algorithm says

Anyting cool on here except Swans and Saul Williams?

Lone is pretty good, although his last album was pretty disappointing. Not sure how his live set is though.

I like barnt. I'm seeing lena willikens next week so can report back later

thanks

Radiohead - The Bends (1st impressions)
Holy shit this is boring and uninspired. This is every bad rock cliche. If you focus on one instrument at a time you can actually visualize the sad robotic yorkeslave playing his 100th take because the cymbal at the end wasn't perfect.
this is >tfw no gf music for sad people who like cold devoid music.

NEW CHART SOON GET /HYPE/

Anna von Hausswolff is awesome.

Here's my listening chart so far. Please ask me to give my thoughts on any of the albums there.

Bonus question: If you could have any song redone in the style of another song, which two would you choose?
I'd have this [youtube.com/watch?v=NR7_TbMIVnA] redone in the style of this [youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLqCHKfX54]

I couldn't agree with you more on the Bends to be honest.

Wouldn't mind your opinion on Stooges Debut; 9 seems insanely high for an album that imo only has 3-4 good songs, and no individual songs that even reach to a 9.
It's singles + some shit they made up the night before recording (which IS pretty punk tho 2bh).

talk about young fathers and feels

Thoughts on Feels and why it's the greatest?

I realized my songwriting spikes up as soon as I try to play a new Swans album on guitar. Some chords just shape up and it is pleasant.

Off to go party lmao.

What is /daily/ up to?

that a real photo pham
drake collab when?

youtube.com/watch?v=D_RupNB1X8A&index=4&list=PLAhwneLBOOadswHFDKgFxDhqStwmbU0a3

How the FUCK did no one tell me about these guys before? This is some rock solid stuff. It's warm, dreamy and prancy, grounded with a understated vocalist.

dude
youtube.com/watch?v=wMKGLc0vAS0

I don't really like Animal Collective as much as other people here seem to, but Feels and STGSTV are the best I've heard from them. All their early albums seem to follow a similar feeling of delicate instrumentals with little twinkly details, played underneath vocals that sing childish lyrics quietly, occasionally breaking out into screams or shouts (which is when they work best).

So, when I talk about how good an early AnCo album is, the question is basically "how well do they execute their typical feeling"? The reason STGSTV executes it well is the moments of noise and similar loudness, since they manage to release the tension built up in the intricacy of the instrumentals, in quite a cathartic way.

Anyhow, here's how Feels executes the typical AnCo theme in a way that earns it the honour of being at least "good": the passion that is seen in other albums in loud moments or other "peaks" is usually maintained throughout the whole of the tracks in Feels, and not just reserved for short moments that are surrounded by pixie-ish indulgence. We can see this in the rejoicing nature of the vocal melodies in the first track, "Did You See the Words", and the very poppy track "Grass", which is held up by pretty good vocals (since they range from screaming to impassioned falsetto) and a constant, accessible drum rhythm. The track also manages to reduce the effect Animal Collective sometimes have of sounding like a weirdo on his own in his bedroom; there are backing vocals which –especially when in conjunction with the solo shouting at other points in the piece–make the music sound like there has been considerable thought put into it.

There are, obviously, disadvantages to the album and this is where it is similar to other works by Animal Collective: there is a worrying lack of variety in the overall atmosphere that the sounds create, across the whole album. This always makes me wonder why a lot of the music is there, aside from the purpose of lengthening the album. Many of the original techniques in the album, such as the dancing drums that come in the intro of "The Purple Bottle", are treated as minor afterthoughts as they are combined with vocals and instrumentals that sound far too similar to everything else they do, everywhere else in the album (and their discography).

Dinosaur Jr - Bug
Nirvana without any charisma
not that Nirvana has any charisma to begin with
I mean, the songwriting is decent but unmemorable and J Mascis' voice doesn't agree with me at all, it's annoyingly apathetic, the mix is also pretty terrible, and fuck distortion honestly
first 'bad' album of the chart

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Tom Waits is basically just that hobo drunkenly singing old folk tunes at four in the morning and it's great
This is pretty good, don't really get how this is supposed to be disturbing though, just a little spooky scary
Murder in the Red Barn is far and away the best track
cool as fuck

probably got time for one more, got work in the morning and have to go to bed soon so make it short

Illmatic

How did you not know about them?

>Tom Waits is basically just that hobo drunkenly singing old folk tunes at four in the morning

did you have a particular hobo in mind or does this hobo you are picturing represent all hobos?

What did you think of "Don't" on Bug? I don't think that can be described as apathetic

fucking hello

all me btw

>did you have a particular hobo in mind
not really, although there was this one guy who occupies a toilet block on the foreshore near the university that I go to, had a talk to him whilst drunk, found him a couple of weeks later passed out on the bank cradling a goon bag, they made him move on
>or does this hobo you are picturing represent all hobos?
not really, I was using the phrase more as a simile based on (admittedly unfair) stereotypes of drunk homeless people

This is me bringing in the fire.
www68.zippyshare.com/v/yO4w9qRL/file.html

I mean, I've been mostly listening to music from the 70s and 80s, so I didn't hear too much 90s stuff, but still. This has been a pleasant surprise.

take a Jimi Hendrix song, strip away all the production and add a buttload of distortion (i.e make it not good)
the vocals aren't apathetic but the music is terrible regardless

Man. Over an hour of music and every minute of it was great. Now I gotta listen to ALL of Stereolab's stuff.

I couldn't agree more

final score oh shit
what'll it be

I liked the second track most, the Mr. Magoo sample got me. Also the Car Bomb track was kind of funny.

a wrong one

Michael Yonkers is right up my street, punk tinged psych that's a bit lo-fi.

Triggered me 2 days in a row wow.

Negativland - Escape From Noise
This is what happens when a Ween cover band and a Faust cover band accidentally book a studio at the same and decide to do a collab.
funny =/= good
This is like a Saturday Night Live skit in music form, definitely funny but definitely not good.
Still worth a listen though.
Score: 11!
/20
(that's a 5.5 for people who haven't learned fractions yet)

NEU! CHART INCOMING

terrible opinions

sorry about that

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush (sorry to the dude who suggested Illmatic, neil young was shorter, first thing tomorrow after work)
Very good, more cohesive of an album like this than anything I've heard from folkies so far
genuine feels on this
not much to say, 17 of you feckers have heard it already, you either liked it or hated it, it's pretty straightforward, I liked it

peace out

From best to worst:

Frank's Wild Years
Bad Timing
Disintegration
Song For My Father
Superfly
Slow Deep and Hard
Public Castration
Bottomless Pit
On The Corner
Unwnd