In terms of pop music are we in the worst state of the genre ever?

In terms of pop music are we in the worst state of the genre ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9jjiWS__Mp0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1986
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is what you came for is kinda good tbqh senpai if i'm being honest

no its not you fucking retard ill kill you

panda panda panda

I actually kindof like One Dance and Panda is okay too I guess. It's bearable.. The rest of those songs are pure trash though.

One Dance is amazing imo

>iphone
>spotify
>neutral milk hotel
>guise le pop culture is dum xD and always has been

babbies first "im above pop culture". fuck off back to redit my good friend

The top 40 isn't too bad right now. I'd rather hear One Dance than Take Care, even if the new Drake album overall is trash

>this post
jesus christ. kys

The anger you people have trapped inside you will never fail to amuse me.

>le anger XD

you know where you must go back to

>you people

thanks for exposing yourself and further proving my point.

yes, i too watch leafyishere and h3h3productions on youtube. hes so funny :)

aw that's cute you make that?

Regardless of how good or bad the state of the genre is, we still have all the old music in addition to what we have now, so with every passing day we're better off.

heres another (You)

this thread depresses me.

Also pop music now is in the same state it has been since the dawn of commercial recorded music: always dumb, usually mediocre, sometimes awful, sometimes good

All of the songs in OPs image are very average

LOL THIS

sia's dope, that panda song (at least what kanye sampled) is dope

Yeah I guess. Can you imagine living in the '80s and hearing Depeche Mode, The Cure, Peter Gabriel, and Kate Bush all the time on the radio? Pop music took a huge decline in quality since the late '90s.

If I had to listen to Depeche Mode all the time I'd kill myself

Nah, imo the period between Elvis getting drafted and the beatlemania is way worse, where every song was a novelty song or Pat Boone
youtube.com/watch?v=9jjiWS__Mp0

The only artist you listed that actually had a hit song in the 80s is Peter Gabriel. Yeah there are a lot of great 80s pop artists like there are a lot of great pop artists today, they just aren't the ones getting the most airtime
Meanwhile you conveniently forget about Starship, New Kids on the Block, Michael Bolton, Bon Jovi, etc.

>pop culture has always been dumb!!!!! so i can hate it without making myself look like a retard

fucking liberal marxist dipshits always embarrass themselves

>le pop culture is always dum XDDD im just trying to be edgy and dismiss those gosh darn lewronggeneration fags (i am anti LWG) im also smarter and above both tho

Was anything I said wrong though

Let me be clear: music that is commercially successful (typically music made to be sold as a product) is generally less challenging and less complex w/r/t music theory than art music. Do you disagree with that?

>looking at things OBJECTIVELY like le intellectual xD
>i only listen to le challenging non commercial music and can completely differentiate the two.. anco is NOT challenging but le captain beefheart is

I don't deny that there was a lot of shit getting airtime in the '80s like Bon Jovi and Foreigner. But the better music getting airtime was INSANELY good. What groups today have reached even a fraction of the heights of those bands I mentioned? Also, are you saying Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence, Lovesong, Just Like Heaven, Friday I'm In Love, Running Up That Hill, and Hounds of Love weren't massive hits? You're dead wrong.

If you listened to pop stations in the 80s you'd probably hear mostly hair metal and piano ballads.

No I never said that. I enjoy a lot of pop music and anyone can recognize the levels of talent and effort involved in different types of music. I'm pretty enamored with this new Ariana Grande record, and so are a lot of people. Everyone who listens to this album realizes that the arrangements, instrumentals, etc are nothing special. That doesn't mean it's irredeemable, but it's still dumb music. Great dumb music.

you kids are so insufferable and pretentious it hurts.
>DUMB music i still like haha!!! even though its dumb!

the sad thing is you probably think the way you see things is somehow unique or unheard of, or that youre more 'mature' above others

naturally youll deny this because you realize such an attitude is immature which you for some reason think youre not

Am I losing it? Is it really immature to say that pop music is typically dumbed down? I can't wrap my head around the point you're trying to make. You think that music shouldn't be judged based on the cleverness of the arrangement, the complexity of composition at all? Or do you really think that Ariana Grande and Frank Zappa or whoever are really on the same level in those terms?

no, youre perfectly normal. not a snowflake or special at all, so get the superiority complex aside

no, thats not what im implying, youre too young to 'get it' i guess. sorry kek there is no way i could explain it

>Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence, Lovesong, Just Like Heaven, Friday I'm In Love, Running Up That Hill, and Hounds of Love weren't massive hits? You're dead wrong.
Totally fair point. Those were all massive hits.
>what groups today have reached a fraction of the heights of those bands I mentioned?
I could pull bullshit names out of my ass to defend my argument but I think you're right and I may need to change my perspective on how pop music has changed over time

Pretty sure None of those songs cracked the top 10 in the US. Kate Bush only had hits in the UK and even then they werent huge successes. You can find similarity good songs in the outer reaches of the top 40 occasionally these days too.

The late 90s early 2000s had some pretty bad pop music

Jesus Christ man shut the fuck up and kill yourself already. You seem to have your own slew of insecurities that you're projecting on to others you insufferable prick.

What's your favorite album right now

Nigger half of those songs are by the cure

Depeche mode is shit

This, so did the 80's, so did every age of pop music.
>modern pop music has always been shit

>Panda is bearable
Please tell me that was a pun.

This post is fucking cringe tier

it's white girl tier now

can i fuck off to a good website?

It's not much worse to say, the production quality is very good now. Just that the focus shifted to production now, and less focus on the musicality.

>Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh Comely
Daily reminder: if you listen to this band or have in the past you must leave this board forever and never return. You are too feebleminded to discuss real music with the likes of music aficionados. In addition, you are what's wrong with the music industry today. You are just a doltish sheep who follows "trends" just to be hip and trendy. It's unfortunate that your mother never swallowed you as a sperm when she had the chance. Life must be tough being a piece of shit who listens to abysmal music. To me your musical taste is defecation to the ears. Consider killing yourself.

okay

the fact that a trap song was #1 at all is amazing

afaik it's the first ever. the closest thing was harlem shake which is a meme

oh i'm talking about panda btw

All these songs except the Timberlake one are pretty good to be honest family

lol listening rn

The 80s were elder god tier in regards to pop music.

The production on pop in the late 2000s was absolutely horrendous. Those shitty software synths and painful autotune. Producers are using all the same elements now, but they've figured out how to make it sound really good. Like how modern trap beats sound amazing, but crunk and trap from the 2000s was the trashiest shit. The songwriting's probably about the same but at least it's not painful to listen to.

Soulless,songless garbage . the new vocal style in pop used by the likes of sia needs to die.

I can barely stand one dance by drake its not half bad.
Yeah. Really cheesy but atleast it sounded like music even if it was bad. Well pop music is objectively bad at the moment. Prove me wrong.

>modern trap
>amazing
>early 2000s
>bad

The early 2000s was the absolute worst time for pop music.

lmao, I bet you smoke cigarettes.

Its not a genre. Pop = popular. Nirvana has seen time at #1 on Billboard as well as Metallica and Guns & Roses.

If ya think about it, it's mighty presumptuous to label yourself "pop".... Thats for the Free Market to decide.

"we gotta stop the big corporations man!"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1986
and are right
you guys are romanticizing old pop music because the only artists that you know about today are the good ones that made music that actually stood the test of time