How do I produce songs like him?

How do I produce songs like him?

Shorten and minimize EVERYTHING

Compress and brickwall everything. If there's any dynamics squeeze them out of the track ASAP. Make sure it sounds like it's being played on shitty Apple earbuds no matter what technology is being used.

Did I mention brickwalling

but these aren't bad things

YOU TURN THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON ON IN YOUR DAW

meditate lots

>make great records in the 80s
>make shit records for the next 25 years

Yeezus was dope desu

Johnny Cash was his last great throw as a producer--it's all been downhill since.

Turn the volume and the gain all the way up.

Make all the percussion sound 100x more powerful than it needs to be

Yeezus was finished long before Rubin came in to the process he just gave it the ol' minimalism A E S T H E TI C

YOU CRAZY FOR THIS ONE RICK

lay your sleepy head

After he produced Reign in Blood everything else was just a rehash.

BTW, Rubin worships Back In Black and thinks it's the greatest rock album of all time, so much that he's made it his mission that all albums should sound like that.

Would that his album production sounded anywhere as clear and sharp as BIB and not a fuzzified, clipped mess.

"That's a dangerous, dangerous question. Now, there are some people who would love for me to just be [politically correct] and toe the party line, which is basically, [to say] 'You know, working with Rick Rubin was a very enriching experience. He is truly a great mind. . .' Let me give you the fucking truth of it. Rick Rubin showed up for 45 minutes a week. Yeah. Rick Rubin would then, during that 45 minutes, lay on a couch, have a mic brought in next to his face so he wouldn't have to fucking move. I swear to God. And then he would be, like, 'Play it for me.' The engineer would play it. And he had shades on the whole time. Never mind the fact that there is no sun in the room it's all dark. You just look like an asshole at that point. And he would just stroke his huge beard and try and get as much food out of it as he could. And he would go, 'Play it again.' And then he'd be, like, 'Stop! Do that over.' And he had an assistant who was seven feet tall. He had that disease where you can't grow hair on your body, so he was just bald. He looked like Mr. Clean's neurotic cousin. But he basically ran Rick Rubin's life like, he was just fucking on it, on it, on it, on it. About half way through our precious 45 minutes, he would bring in this plate of shit. I assume it was food. It was bluish green. It smelled like someone had just plunged a fucking toilet somewhere. And he would eat it as fast as he could just get it in there, all over himself. Which is, when you're working, so wonderful to look at . . . I will say this: I respect what Rick Rubin has done, I respect the work that he has done in the past to get to where he is now. But this is a huge but this is a J.Lo-sized 'but...' I will say this: The Rick Rubin of today is a thin, thin, thin shadow of the Rick Rubin that he was. He is overrated, he is overpaid, and I will never work with him again as long as I fucking live."

When done subtly and in moderation yes but he severely overdoes it. There's a reason Californication and Death Magnetic, both produced by him, are considered among the worst produced albums ever.

Heard something similar about Steve Albini, he just plays scrabble and angry birds on his ipad

Most of Californication is at least tolerable, but Road Trippin' is so badly mixed that it's physically unpleasant to listen to.

Link?

That was Cloud Nothings that said it about Steve
>When I first started making records I would sit in front of the console concentrating on the music every second. I found out the hard way that I tended to fiddle with things unnecessarily and records ended up sounding tweaked and weird. I developed a couple of techniques to avoid this, to keep me from messing with things while still paying attention enough to catch problems. For a long time I would read, but it had to be really dry un-interesting stuff. The magazine the Economist was perfect, as were things like technical manuals and parts catalogs. I had a stack of them by the console. It can't be anything interesting or with a story line like fiction because then you can get engrossed and stop paying attention to the session. It has to be really dull, basically so you are looking for an excuse to put it down and do something else. This has proven to be a really good threshold, so that if anything sounds weird or someone says something you immediately give it your full attention and your concentration hasn't been ruined by staring at the speakers and straining all day.

>Lately I play Scrabble, and it serves the same purpose.