Can i get some examples of successful musicians who didn't start creating music until later in life?

can i get some examples of successful musicians who didn't start creating music until later in life?

Art Blakey
Iannis xenakis
Charles Ives

Idk but there are a lot more than you think. Few of them are as good as above mentioned guys though

kys

not op but can i get a source on blakey? ken burns doc says otherwise, he was playing music full-time by the 7th grade or something

I know your feel, user.
Its never too late. Gradually increase your practice and work everyday, until it becomes something that has a real output.
And remember, dont view it as a chore, but a stress relief, find the joy in making music, not the guilt for skipping practice.

none of those examples are true

Nathan Original

john cage got into music around 21 or 22

op here, i'm already 28 years old and i don't have a job

leonard cohen put out his first album when he was 33
kanye west put out his first album at 27
james murphy at 35

me
i have yet to become successful tho

It is well known in the Jazz community that Blakey didn't start gigging seriously till he was in his thirties.
Iannis was an architect and took up composition later in his life.
Same with Charles Ives, only he never performed them or heard them but kept them locked away
I literally go to school for this.

oh ok
hmm, I can think of some people who changed their style drastically when older
Pete Namlook switched from mediocre jazz playing (I think sax) to synths and guitars when he was around 30, he made some kick ass ambient, techno, trance etc in the 90s and 00s
Raja Ram was a flutist that switched to trance music when he was like 40, went to form Shpongle
I'll try to think of more
Art does look old in most pics I see of him

for Blakey:
>seriously
Xenakis and Ives both studied composition in college. and Ives also was actually very involved in the modern music scene

that's not OP. why do people do this.

I looked up the discrepancy
Art was playing piano before he switched to drums. So I guess I was wrong. He started gigging on drum in his late mid 20s

Holst didn't get successful until his forties.
Same with Bruckner

Rautavaara

when did Sup Forums get so interested in classical music? surprised that only one post is mentioning popular music

Nimrod Workman was a folk singer that recorded most of his stuff when he was in his 80s
Vinicius de Moraes started writing songs pretty late too
Moondog too

I'd wager that 5% of all musicians manage to make a livable wage out of their art and the music industry isn't getting any better, it's quite the opposite actually. The reason why someone into their late twenties would choose such an unforgiving path is beyond me. Get a normal job and pursue music as a hobby

>normal job
some of us are too autistic. i'd rather make music my life, successful or not.

>tfw Bob Dylan wrote Blonde on Blonde when he was 25

time is a cruel mistress

battles mate

Not trying to meme here. Someone mentioned Grimes didn't really do much at all with music before the release of her first album

I started making music when I was 1.
You will never be ANYTHING, and I want you to say that to yourself every single day of your pathetic life until you die alone, untalented, and sad

Wes Montgomery first touched a guitar when he was 25.
Lee Perry really started doing more than simply singing at 32. A lot of other dub musicians and deejays (U-Roy, Mikey Dread, etc) also started between 28 and 34.
it's never too late user

yeah i'm pretty sure that's true. i don't think she learned piano as a kid or anything, she just hung out with musicians in college, and that influenced her to start making music for fun.

there's that japanese jazz pianist that started playing when he was like 25? his album is kinda famous on Sup Forums

Pretty sure she studied music at McGill, which has the most exclusive program in the country

Depends whats successful in your mind. The kind that plays on radio and is loved by everyone? You literally need to make one, catchy cancerous song at any age and you reach that.

>Its never too late.

This is a lie.

You can always become better, but there is a point at which you are no more able of becoming what matters: good.

music is a pipe dream
you need either lots of connections and resources or unalloyed genius to "make it"

Pink Floyd

Their early shit was so terrible I wouldn't even call it music