Does anyone else not like talking about music from fear of seeming pretentious?

Does anyone else not like talking about music from fear of seeming pretentious?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI
youtube.com/watch?v=fU6qDeJPT-w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yeah
i always think i sound pretentious just when speaking at all
hence, i just keep to myself most of the time

yeah
i always think i sound pretentious just when speaking at all
hence, i just stay at home most of the time

That word is used far to liberally, and barely ever when it's used is it used in the proper sense. It means something that pretends it has meaning, when it really doesn't.

Certain music objectively has more meaning than others, certain music objectively takes more skill to play, etc.

If your scared about talking about your interests, you're just a pussy who takes other people opinions of yourself to seriously.

that's right, i feel the same way

Same, but with the added fear of also sounding clueless. This goes for everything too, not just music.
Nothing worse than being a pretentious moron.

Never. Because I don't think that what I listen to is better then what somewhat else listens to. I also like to hear about other music to listen to from others.

The last time I talked about music (today) went like this:

"Holy shit is that a Phlebotomized CD? I only have that album pirated. It's fucking rare and has a special place in my heart because you can only record such an album when in a state of total mental instability. 85 €? You jew! I take it"

absolutely. There's this girl who's showing a ton of interest in me and she always sends me music hoping I like it but I don't say anything or I say something generic like "it's alright..." and inside I'm tearing my eyes out from listening to her shitty indie synth pop rock bands

i don't really like talking about music with people who don't care about it as much as i do
it's kind of maddening talking about arctic monkeys with some fuck who calls them 'garage punk'

>It means something that pretends it has meaning, when it really doesn't.
This isn't exactly right. Google says:
>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
Which is applicable in this instance if op thinks he comes across as egotistical or he has particularly judgemental friends.

wow u sound really pretentious

don't u send her music too?

>guy points out how you shouldn't value another person opinion of yourself so highly that you stop talking about your interests
>says how people are wrongfully using the word
>he's called pretentious

Is everyone on this board a pussy?

I never like to talk about anything for that reason

>implying the difficulty to play anything would have any meanig
Give me 10 minutes and I'll compose you a piano concert nearly nobody can play. Oh and it will sound like shit.

Read that guy's post again. He doesn't say or imply "things that are difficult to play are inherently better/more meaningful" anywhere.

If someone thinks you're pretentious for talking about the music you like, it's probably because they sensed that you feel superior to them because of your tastes.

If you can't talk about your interests in a cordial and respectful manner, you should invest some effort into improving your social skills and reassessing how you think about yourself and others because you're probably a self important asshole.

This

I once sent the girl Cock Victory by Hanatarash and she didn't respond for a few days

yep, everyday IRL fear of mine

have the perfect lyrics for this feel

>Solidarity's gonna give a little less than it'll take
>Is there a girl at this college who hasn't been raped?
>Is there a boy in this town that's not exploding with hate?
>Is there a human alive ain't looked themselves in the face without winking or saying what they mean without drinking, who will Believe in something without thinking what if somebody doesn't approve?
>Is there a soul on this earth that isn't too frightened to prove?

>I think the wrong people got a hold of your brain when it was nothing but a piece of putty
>Though try as you may but you will always be a tourist little buddy
>And half the time I open my mouth to speak it's to repeat something that I've heard on tv and i've destroyed everything that Wouldn't make me more like Bruce Springsteen
>So I'm going back to New Jersey I do believe they've had enough of me

youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI

I do, and I think she pretends to like it, but my taste is just a little too experimental for her I guess

that's kinda what they are
arctic monkeys are a shitty band anyways

>Acquire gf
>the only music she listens to is whatever is on the radio when she drives, music is really unimportant to her life
>I prefer this, it's far better than her being a super fan of shitty pop
>Show her my music, start slowly.
>Eventually show her William Basinsky, Steve Reich, John Cage
>She doesn't necessarily dislike it, but just thinks it's weird that someone would spend time listening to stuff like that.
>Show her this: youtube.com/watch?v=fU6qDeJPT-w
>She actually wanted to listen to the end to see what happened.
>Maybe I'm getting her to like my stuff

I love music, but the only time I like talking about music is when people ask me for recs.

Similarly, I only like hearing about music when people are giving me recs. nobody cares what you don't like, just turn me on to what turns you on.

People who like talking about music are boring assholes

Yeah pretty much this. If you talk about your music tastes when nobody is asking for recommendations you will 7/10 times be a huge faggot. Obviously there's no harm in just talking about random shit, but the main people who do that are fags to begin with. (And mostly people who are "diehard" fans of ONE genre)

Considering all of you fucks only listen to rock, I wouldn't put yourselves on such a pedestal.

I dont like talking about music because everybody is so fucking uptight about it.

I dont need a reason to not like an artist, not liking them is enough for me.
I also dont want to hear their reasons for liking artists. In fact I dont even want to know whether other people even listen to music or not, I just dont give a shit about their musical tastes. Its not any of my business and I dont want to hear anybody drone on about it.

Wow, sounds like you two are going to be really happy together.

People who talk about other artists music all the time are downright boring people. They're the same type of people who's favorite hobby is "watching movies"

Honestly I've always felt these are the worst types of people to get stuck in conversation with. If consuming media is all you know, than please just fuck off and keep it to yourself

Why do you waste time listening to this? As an art piece it's intriguing, but it's not being put to any good use other than as a demonstration.
Also, where are the guitars?

Honestly, I have a worse time talking about making music with people. Really only do it with my musician friends, and even still there's like some unspoken rule that we're not supposed to talk about what we're working on. Well, at least my bandmates are that way.

I talk about music with one guy I know, it's pretty good, though in general I don't talk about music to people who don't want to talk about music

There are two guys I work with that like talking about music, in addition to myself.

Myself and guy A always talk about theory and composition, sometimes instrumentation. We both write orchestral and choral works as a hobby. Guy B always walks up and gets excited cause we're talking about music, and he always starts on some tangent about the pandora station he was on threw him some Sufjan or something, which got him listening to american football... it never ends. This guy never fails to ruin a good conversation.

It would be like if two people liked to talk about cinematography and camera technology, and a third guy always comes up to babble endlessly about last nights episode of cheers. Its like he thinks that since we're interested in the music industry that we want to know all about his favorite artists.

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have such strong opinions about everything. Its like every song is either 10/10 or 1/10 and everybody he knows needs to know about it and agree

this guy will go way out of his way to convince you that you dont like a song or artist you've never even heard before

yeah but then i think about how the blink 182 leak got me excited and forget it

truth

i've just taken to being really self-depreciating whenever music comes up unless it's literally at a gig. gigs are the only place it's really safe to reveal your power levels. otherwise i just refer to my taste disissively as 'obscure hipster bullshit'

wat a cuck i am

I talk about music all the time, that's probably one of the reasons why most people consider me an arrogant asshole

When people ask me what I think of a piece of music my first instinct is to critique it but that doesn't really go down too well with most people. Instead I'll try to think of something positive to say without committing onto saying I like it, while adding "not too much of my thing".