Why is Kate Bush always mentioned in the same breath as Joni Mitchell and now Joanna Newsom...

Why is Kate Bush always mentioned in the same breath as Joni Mitchell and now Joanna Newsom? I get that she's a successful female artist, but I don't understand how you can compare the mindblowing artistic creativity of Joni with the pop music that Kate Bush puts out. Nowhere near the same level of emotion or musical/lyrical prowess. Very unimpressed with this Sup Forums recommendation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIzJnBWovOs
youtube.com/watch?v=NAj8suae3WY
youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

(You)

Glad you could make it, Uther.

I don't see how I'm not right.

Then you haven't listened to enough Kate Bush. What have you heard?

Kate Bush is pop music for moms.

Joanna isn't that good. Kate Bush for the win!

This.

The Sensual World and then random singles.

try the dreaming and the ninth wave

I will, are they substantially different?

joni mitchell is a pretty boring artist compared to joanna newsom and kate bush

joni isnt completely worthless, just unimpressive

Sup Forums doesn't like many female artists, so the ones they do are associated with each other.

The fact that she wrote Wuthering Heights aged 18 still amazes me

Kate Bush is "pop" because she has a vagina, desu. If she were Bowie, she'd be singer/songwriter and "art rock."

Joni Mitchell is a great lyricist and has some interesting ideas, but most of her music is less fulfilled than Kate's desu.

She is? I never see them mentioned together, they sound nothing alike. Probably just waifufags.

No one can beat Joni.

You've only listened to Blue

Kate is a gr8 musician, songwriter and produces her own stuff
Joni is a gr8 singer and performer

It's like comparing frank sinatra with trent reznor

youtube.com/watch?v=jIzJnBWovOs

You can email me your apology.

Joanna Newsom in my top 5 but while her lyrical prowess is superior, she doesn't have the life experience that leads to the intensely personal and emotional songwriting of Joni (Little Green is about her giving up her daughter for adoption because she was dirt poor).

I don't really see anything that great about Kate Bush's songwriting, from what I have heard so far, and of course the music backing is awful thin 80s pop.

Blue is her best album, though. She has great jazz folk stuff later on and plenty of other good songs, but Blue is far from boring if you're a human being with a soul.

Bowie has pop records too

also I love all 3 of those musicians idk what to tell you, I'd imagine Newsom probably owes a lot to Kate Bush. Yeah her music is poppier than theirs but it's so excellent within that realm of music, i don't see how that's a indicator that it's less 'good'

>Joni is not a songwriter

I've also heard Ladies of the Canyon as well as Court and Spark
do fans of hers not consider blue the best or something?
am I supposed to be not bored by this

Kate Bush is the musical equivalent of trashy romance paperbacks, and appeals to the same people those do.

if that's true then joni is a shittier romance paperback

>am I supposed to be not bored by this

I guess if you're more interested in production than in songwriting and singing.

to the sensual world, yeah. that's her least experimental and artsy album by quite a margin. I don't even like it, to be honest. The Dreaming is her most out there, but I think the ninth wave is her best work. it's the second half of Hounds of Love, by the way, starting with "And Dream of Sheep"

except those books are usually badly written and Kate has excellent pop melodies and ornate, layered arrangements and is a really unique vocalist and performer

the singing is the vocal equivalent of guitar wank and the songwriting is pretty average

reminder that Kate wrote this at 13:

youtube.com/watch?v=NAj8suae3WY

and this at 17:

youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

You're not a very good troll. Some people like subtle laid back folk music, others like generic radio pop music. Different strokes and all that.

>the singing is the vocal equivalent of guitar wank
>singer-songwriter showcasing singing and songwriting is equivalent to "guitar wank"

>the singing is the vocal equivalent of guitar wank

I liked Song to a Seagull, but I found her most acclaimed work boring. It wasn't until the Hissing of Summer Lawns that I really got into Joni.

>Kate Bush
>not mindblowingly creative

Regina Spektor is kind of like Supertramp to Joanna Newsom's Yes. They both started off in the same place, but Regina went in a more pop based direction while Joanna expanded upon her early approach.

Blue is one of the lyrically most impressive pop records ever created. It's sincere, descriptive, perceptive, unpredictable and well balanced between moral judgement and immersion.

Both good, though. Regina's silly songs are a major turn off for me, though I appreciate that sensibility is what feeds her other, more enjoyable work.