youtube.com/watch?v=1n-uWmgOm9g
youtube.com/watch?v=5m6eyZqtZLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZkP6yOE3E
youtube.com/watch?v=qXBVUY74Os8
youtube.com/watch?v=NgpWhd80ldQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DB2tL6XD49s

Etc.

donkey kong country 2 soundtrack is amazing

Video game music is almost always over produced garbage with meme tier lyrics. A perfect example is that ''Nuclear'' song...
Some can be decent (like the L.A Noire Soundtrack you posted)

Prove me wrong.

It is though because it's meant to marry with a picture and can't stand on its own.

This is pretty terrible without the actual game.

Nuclear wasn't made for MGS5.

>Prove me wrong.
Why don't you prove that video game music is "almost always over produced garbage with meme tier lyrics"? You could start by explaining what that even means.

I haven't even played several of those. There's no need to play a game to appreciate its music, and we're not talking about something like cartoon music that only works in context.

Only vidya soundtrack that's worth listening to on its own is pic related

Yes user, out of the thousands of video game soundtracks made this is surely the one and only that could possibly be listened to on its own.

Tatsuhiko Asano is my favorite artist of all time and he did the Doshin the Giant OST, an obscure N64 DD that never made it to the states. Beautiful ambient teacka that have a great tropical feel.
In its own its a 10/10 album, it makes me want to play the game one day if I ever get a DD and a copy of the game, I hear the GC port was butchered slightly content wise but I'm not sure how confirmed that is.

This is garbage, fuck off.

It isn't. Are you just mad because your assumption turned out to be wrong?

*tip*

Ok

No, it's just weep fedora shit. Go back to Sup Forums.

You're right. How could these...

youtube.com/watch?v=R8KEZ4kr-Xc
youtube.com/watch?v=7OxpAqDc4JE

...possibly compare to these masterpieces:

youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM
youtube.com/watch?v=-59jGD4WrmE

One of the sad things about the West today is that so many people outright hate art.

>people outright hate art
And would much rather listen to some watered down approximation of art that gets inculcated into them while they do jumpy puzzles

Streets of Rage OST and the first 3 Sonic games all have goat soundtracks

This has to be b8

which game did health do the soundtrack for
im just gonna have to assume it would be good

youtube.com/watch?v=ukp1N4hI2Xg

op's right

The West is getting artistically more and more degraded every year and it's all thanks to cretins like you.

I agree with OP but Sup Forums has terrible taste in videogames and ergo terrible taste in videogame music.

Only good vidya music posted ITT was the DKC2 OST

>jrpg shit
>use top 40 as an example of other music
>art
Why are you even here?

Better taste than Sup Forums.

>jrpg shit
The fuck does it matter what genre of game the music is from?

>use top 40 as an example of other music
Well why not? It's not from video games and it's popular and socially accepted so it must be art.

>Why are you even here?
Why are you?

Sup Forums has mediocre taste in vidya for sure but Sup Forums just downright doesn't know shit about videogames.

Sup Forums literally likes the equivalent of top-40 shit in terms of vidya.

The ultimate GOAT in VGM

youtube.com/watch?v=8lw-u_gsucM
youtube.com/watch?v=xNVfOl2rUXg

Videogame studios know that "gamers" are typically ignorant of music and art, so will create and commission things that reflect that, to not rile or upset their audience. Hence videogame soundtracks are at best inoffensive or boring, and at worst totally cringeworthy, cheesy, or outright laughable.

>The fuck does it matter what genre of game the music is from?
What exactly is so special about the XBC track you posted?
It's just a generic piano ballad.

>generalizing

This is a blatant generalization and only close to true if you look at the top-40-tier garbage known as the AAA industry.

Just like I said before, Sup Forums legit knows nothing about videogames.

>Sup Forums literally likes the equivalent of top-40 shit in terms of vidya.
Ironically, the only one posting top 40 vidya equivalents is OP.

OP here; I haven't posted a single track in this entire thread

That's not really ironic at all, people who have passion for one artistic medium will probably only dabble in the pop culture of the rest, because their own artistic medium is so complex that they don't feel it's necessary to learn another.

It's not ironic, not even coincidental, it lines up perfectly with logic/reason.

>liking computer games

Basically it confirms you as ignorant of music. Either pop is your only reference point or you're deliberately cherrypicking bad music to support your poor argument that video game soundtracks are actually worth a shit. Both of those situations confirm that.

What do you even listen to? Or are you "that guy" who listens to nothing but anime and videogame soundtracks and gets hostile when his poor taste is called out? Is that was this thread is about?

youtube.com/watch?v=ju1wxMDhjMM

Saw these guys live once, it was great.

There are actually some differences between videogame music and "other" music, such as the need of vidya music to loop in lots of cases and/or react to different situations in the game on the fly and so on. There's really no other medium where the musician would have to think about this kind of things. Of course it doesn't always happen, but in theory.

Not OP but the following are what I believe to be top-tier vidya music.

youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M
youtube.com/watch?v=-1EPegIzD2M
youtube.com/watch?v=yjFr_vW8kwc
youtube.com/watch?v=ICjD3f-8SXE
youtube.com/watch?v=XgMRNiEPPYg

Though these songs, of course, were made to compliment game, story, and art direction, so it's no doubt they probably aren't as powerful to you as they are to someone who's played the games.

Even so, I believe NieR's ost is one of the most timeless soundtracks of all time.

You either have no idea what you're talking about or you're just outright lying. It's especially ridiculous when talking about Japan where the game industry has close ties with the music industry (as does the anime industry) and they're very focused on selling music and even make games that revolve around music.

You're moving the goalposts and I never said anything is "special." And generic is not a valid term.

No, you are ignorant of music. You don't even like music. Case in point:
>Are are you "that guy" who listens to nothing but anime and videogame soundtracks and gets hostile when his poor taste is called out
Someone who likes music wouldn't dismiss music on the basis that it was made for a video game or anime.

Only video games worth anyone's time:

>Soulsborne series
>Deus Ex
>Metal Gear series
>Half Life series
>Morrowind
>Fallout 1, 2 and NV

And sadly, these are all good toys at best. I've yet to play a videogame that can actually move me. Feel free to add to this list and somehow enlighten me because as far as I'm concerned videogames are shit tier art and good-tier entertainment to hang out with friends.

Feel free to post your top 10 albums.

I can almost guarantee Dream Theater is in there.

>Only videogames worth playing are top40-tier garbage.
wew lad

You are trying to change the subject.

not all jrpg music is bad, this one reminds me of fallout youtube.com/watch?v=lMn-7LPFscs

wow great response

this

Yeah, why can't video games be incredible art like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=t6hlkIlGFCI

Or this:
youtube.com/watch?v=I9lmvX00TLY

>Recommended Art Games
games aren't art, Sup Forumseddit

Yes they are.

What is art then?

No

Those are literally the most entry-level games you can play to get into them as a deeper, more complex artistic medium.

It's the Sup Forums-core of videogames. Drakengard is literally the Trout Mask Replica of videogames. Get off your pretentious high-horse.

Why are you so afraid to post your top 10 albums?

If you don't actually have half-interesting taste, then I see no reason to have a proper discussion with you about how videogame music is worthwhile if you clearly don't give a fuck about the wider scope of music and instead just want to justify your lazy music taste.

>Someone who likes music wouldn't dismiss music on the basis that it was made for a video game or anime.
Yes they would because it's literally music that's meant to marry with pictures or react to game scenarios, because of this it can't take the form of traditional music that is able to stand on its own and it's something to exist in the background.

>It's a "I've never played Silent Hill 2, Killer 7, MGS2, Drakengard, Deus Ex, Majora's Mask, or Planescape Torment but I know what I'm talking about when I say videogames aren't art" episode.

Thats really cool
i like louis philippe and he has a track on mother ost

>child/manchild pastimes
>deeper, more complex artistic medium

>This videogame contains art therefore the videogame is art

Hah.

Who are you quoting?

Nuclear was a licensed song.

Ok, then nothing is art. Art doesn't exist. Your point is moot.

>Why are you so afraid to post your top 10 albums?
Why are you so afraid to stay on topic?

>if you clearly don't give a fuck about the wider scope of music
That would be you.

>lazy music taste
So listening to what everyone else listens to is not lazy, but listening to niche music is. Ok.

>Yes they would because it's literally music that's meant to marry with pictures or react to game scenarios
Which doesn't actually matter and isn't even always true, so I don't know why you're bringing it up.

>it can't take the form of traditional music that is able to stand on its own and it's something to exist in the background
Game and anime music can and do stand on their own.

not videogames

that's a fallacy. videogames - the medium - isn't artistic, therefore every single instance of a videogame isn't artistic. i don't need to taste every single turd in the world to know that turds are not edible

>Fall Out Boy? Sorry, Madame, but I only listen to the most exquisite musique sourced from the videogames on which I have built my livelihood. I suggest you delve posthaste into the untold treasures of the great nation of Japan, including Final Fantasy and Xenoblade, before speaking to me again.

Holy FUCK you stupid weeb. Family Guy is in no way, shape, or form an accurate representation of the works of our greatest artists, and trust me, there are many. I'll give you the video game music can be as good as music where the primary focus is on the music itself, but a good lot of all video game music is only as great as you say in the context of the game. You're definitely right that there is fantastic video game music though, Xenoblade Chronicles being a great example of such that you should look into if you haven't yet.
>no Shadow of the Colossus
>Undertale
"why"

I get you guys are counter-baiting OP but this is genuinely why Sup Forums should stick to talking about music and nothing else. You people don't know anything about literature, film, art, let alone videogames.

Undertale, while having a message that completely contradicts itself, still has a unique/creative execution of the "interactive" portion of vidya and uses it to actually convey a message. It's there because it, like the rest, is entry level.

SotC isn't there because that's just a given, everyone knows what it is, even stuck-up pretentious losers like most of the posters in this thread.

I don't think that art or entertainment needs to move me to be enjoyable, for instance I enjoy SHMUPs really much because just playing them is tons of fun. And well, the feeling of doing something well and the thrill of the possibility of losing it all are feelings too. And I don't really look for being moved or some intellectual point in visual art either and I love visual art. The emotional effect is just one small thing art can do to you and I think that there's much more in art you can experience.

But yeah obviously if you go and play games hoping for the things you find in classic literature or such, you're not going to find it... play the games for what they are. I think that there are interesting thing video games can do with storytelling and atmosphere, especially in games where there's no predetermined story like Crusader Kings or Dwarf Fortress, but so far there hasn't been a 10/10 "art game" which would actually utilize these. The very video gamey games which I mentioned are too unstylish, unemotional and "ordinary" to appeal to the art crowd.

Of course it can be said that the video game crowds don't need or necessarily even want the art crowds' acceptance. The art world itself is incredible divided between different schools and theories and doesn't even know itself what is art or not and what is good art and what is not... maybe making (and watching/playing) good entertainment is just more appealing to lots of people.

And desu this board generally considers very simple pop songs deep and complex art as long as the packaging is stylish enough. This has got very little to do with video games, of course, but everyone here is quick to claim that some things are not art and thus shit but also usually say that they enjoy simple songs for fun pretty often even though they know that these songs have little actual content or originality. Sup Forums is mostly about simple pop culture. I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing this but lots of people are

>the medium isnt artistic because i said so
The basis of art is to create, videogames are creations, therefore they can be considered art.

Lol i love VIDYA!!! lets play VIDYA!!!! maybe a girl gamer will show me her VAGOO!

sure, Sup Forumseddit

>Sup Forums's argument for why vidya isn't art has devolved into talking about their primal desires for vagina.
This is why nobody takes music enthusiasts seriously.

I've played lots of games and the only two that could be considered art are Silent Hill 2 and MGS2.

Everything else is pretentious dogshit with no meaningful message(Bioshock, Spec Ops) or minimalistic nonsense that idiots pretend is deep(Team Ico games and Journey).

>The basis of art is to create
reductionistic view, wrong definition. i recommend you drop your little games for a few hours and google "what is art", maybe check a few dozen links

Isn't the point of a soundtrack just to work in their original context though? Even though OSTs are often sold on separate albums it's not really the way it's "meant" to be experienced. I think that soundtracks should be mostly judged by how well they work in the film/game. For example I think that Hotline Miami's OST is great as an OST and supports the mood of the game fantastically but the songs themselves are pretty mediocre and I never really bother to listen to them outside of the game. But in the game the music sounds good.

>Bioshock is pretentious dogshit with no meaningful message.
opinion discarded

>The basis of art is to create, videogames are creations, therefore they can be considered art.

Holy shit, it's the arts and crafts functionalism bullshit. Since when was it the 19th century on Sup Forums?

I'm not a weeb.

>Family Guy is in no way, shape, or form an accurate representation of the works of our greatest artists
It's very representative of the modern West's approach to art.

The idea that art is about the "message" and nothing more was probably introduced by so-called modern art, i.e. pissing in jars and randomly throwing paint on the canvas and then coming up with some 2deep4u explanation for it. Another reason why things are going down the shitter in the West.

>I think that soundtracks should be mostly judged by how well they work in the film/game.
That's exactly how you produce mediocre soundtracks.

what's the big deal with spending a few thousand hours deep in 3D gamespace? If your time is worth nothing, then I guess who gives a fuck what you do with your time. We all know that games are art. They're like cinema, but better because you can mash buttons and unlock achievements. So let's just say I spend a lot of time appreciating art!

The first game is literally:
>Reads Atlas Shrugged once

While Infinite?
The last 10 minutes of that game was probably the most pretentious thing I've ever witnessed in any media, not just vidya.

sober mr. lahey is cute

>SotC is minimalistic nonsense
It's the greatest love story told through videogames. It's minimalistic, sure, but it's far from nonsense and in execution it's extremely powerful. The use of game/sound/art direction to convey the lengths the protagonist has to go through, climbing the titanic colossi, etc. was really well done.

>west vs japan
Nevermind, it's just a culturally void manchild weeaboo. No point arguing here.

>so-called modern art, i.e. pissing in jars and randomly throwing paint on the canvas and then coming up with some 2deep4u explanation for it. Another reason why things are going down the shitter in the West.

t. Sup Forumstard gamer manchild that gets his
views on 'modern art' off of alt-right viral youtube videos

please stick to your le vidya, gentleman

Nobody brought up Infinite, everyone agrees Infinite is complete garbage except for reddit.

That was a gross oversimplification of Bioshock, though. Even if that were half-true, it's still a unique execution with fantastic sound, art, and game design/direction.

I fail to see how asking you to name your favourite music is off-topic on the music board.

You can't seriously think a discussion about video game music's validity is going to be fruitful when your trying to ignore every other kind of music in this thread. How are you going to argue it is worthwhile without an external reference point?

Post your top 10 albums or delete this shit thread. Literally anyone with taste worth a damn isn't going to argue that video game music is just as valid. If your own music taste is shit, then you simply can't argue that video game music is good when you have nothing to compare it to, and haven't even tried to research and explore other music. I think you know this and are deliberately trying to save face. Prove me wrong.

Art is anything made by humans that is not essential to survival/reproduction. So yes, videog is art ;^)

I'm not a weeaboo, and you must be uncomfortable with the topic because you know how bad it makes the West look.

Yes, of course people who appreciate real art must be just manchildren from Sup Forums.

Art:
youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

Not art:
youtube.com/watch?v=Hstbdf-vOo4

>Bioshock? Mmmm yes, I do believe that to be one of the finer examples of the artistic prosperity of videogames. Top taste my fellow vidya gamer. I will meet you posthaste for a round of upvotes on the reddit thread after we have successfully toppled those cretins on Sup Forums with our fantastic vidya riposte.

*tips piss jar*

Hotline Miami OST songs worth listening to outside of the game:

youtube.com/watch?v=DpRUKLKCY-w

youtube.com/watch?v=DyCtfd8w6JQ

Just so you guys know, the poster in here arguing that vidya music is good is from the Katawa Shoujo General threads in /vg/, and is still salty after someone from Sup Forums went in there and shit all over the music they were sharing with each other.

It's entry level as fuck. The chances of that actually happening are about as well as the reverse with Kid A.

And yes I will put Bioshock on the same Pedestal as Kid A because fuck you you pretentious philistine.

Mother 3 will always be very dear to my heart.

>I fail to see how asking you to name your favourite music is off-topic on the music board.
Nobody said it's off-topic on the music board. It's just off-topic in this particular context. You're trying to change the subject.

>You can't seriously think a discussion about video game music's validity is going to be fruitful when your trying to ignore every other kind of music in this thread.
You can't seriously think I'm fooled by your attempts at changing the subject.

>Post your top 10 albums or delete this shit thread.
You are trying to change the subject and I didn't make this thread. Go take your pills.

>Literally anyone with taste worth a damn isn't going to argue that video game music is just as valid.
Literally anyone who cares about music will acknowledge that music doesn't magically get converted into shit because it was composed for a video game.

>If your own music taste is shit, then you simply can't argue that video game music is good when you have nothing to compare it to, and haven't even tried to research and explore other music.
I never said I don't listen to any other music, that's just something you made up in an effort to change the subject.

>I think you know this and are deliberately trying to save face. Prove me wrong.
I think you are deliberately trying to change the subject. Prove me wrong.

>literally says 'everything we do is music'

>katawa shoujo
lel fucking weaboos

I played Katawa Shoujo for like half an hour. I almost never visit /vg/. I've never visited a KS thread on /vg/. Go take your pills.