So? Was the Pitchfork review right? I think their score was a little low 2bh

So? Was the Pitchfork review right? I think their score was a little low 2bh

bump

I'd give it a 7, have only listened once though. It's a nice medium ground between indie hip hop and trap if I understand those genres correctly

Probably will be one of the best this year. I'm digging it.

How much did hey give it?
I refuse to give p4k any click.

uh
That doesn't seem very fair.
Though overall the reception seems to be mixed between people who are disappointed because they keep wanting Endtroducing 2 (but forget that Preemptive Strike exists), those who wish it was a regular hip hop album, and those who actually dig it.
It's pretty good but the two features tracks completely break the flow, the mood and the aesthetic of the album.

fucking features. This is what will kill the new avalanches

sounds like a bunch of EDM horseshit to me. not what i come to shadow for at all.

Peaks in the first two songs

Hopefuly.
If its pointed as what ruined two otherwise ood album by well established artists, maybe DJs will stop caring about it so much.

How could that be the case when Mambo and Ashes to Oceans are the best songs on the album

>best songs on the album
but user, neither of these tracks is Bergschrund

>Hi

Really the only one that is bad is the RTJ song and I agree it completely doesn't fit with the rest of the album

nothing says 'washed up' like el-p rapping over dj shadow about a bag of dicks

Almost included that with those two. It's really good.

I like the RTJ song but can see how you would say it doesn't fit. Three Ralphs is awful though imo. Only song on the album I didn't like.

Three Ralphs is way better towards the end, but the beginning is dogshit.

That first song was boring as shit

GREAT TIER
>Mambo
>Bergschrund
>The Sideshow
>Depth Charge
>Pitter Patter

GOOD TIER
>California
>The Mountain Will Fall
>Nobody Speak
>Ghost Town
>Ashes To Oceans

>OK TIER
>Suicide Pact

>SHIT TIER
Three Ralphs

would like to see how you guys would rank it this way

with maybe the single lamest guitar riff we'll hear literally all year. It sounds like he's just playing straight down the scale.

yeah the beginning throws me off completely and just makes me want to skip it entirely.

RYM was even more harsh on this

I liked it honestly, title track was dope

Would switch Nobody Speak and Suicide Pact. El-P's verses are cringey and the whole song doesn't fit with the rest of the album.

Best track on the album
>Bergschrund

Great
>The Mountain Will Fall
>Pitter Patter
>Ghost Town

Good
>Three Ralphs, second half
>Deapth Charge
>Ashes to Ocean
>California
>Suicide Pact

Crap
>Three Ralphs, first half
>Mambo

Only on the album because we needed to have some singles
>The Sideshow
>Nobody Speaks

>Best track on the album
>Bergschrund
which isnt exactly saying much since there's not really much at all going on here.

or am I missing something

I'd seriously recommend listening to the whole album with Nobody Speaks and The Sideshow removed fro mteh tracklist. It sort of comes together this way. It's clearly intended to have a very spacious sound hence the feeling that nothing goes on. The idea is probably that with little going on, you start paying attention to smaller details and little variations. It works in that track while it doesn't on Three ralphs for isntance.

I dunno Sideshow seems kinda fun so far.

It's a good song but it doesn't fit into the album at all. Jumping rom the reverberated layers of synth and sharp percussion to some scratching and cracking sampling then back to clean digital stuf completely breaks the momentum.

>crap
>mambo
legitimately curious as to why because that one is my favorite.

I feel like this is more of a compilation of some stuff he liked put into album form rather than an "album". When I think of it that way I can appreciate it a little more.

This guy needs to seriously stay the absolute fuck away from guitars.

It sounds like fucking Jaws

although there is a sonar type sound afterward so maybe thats the point? either way lame

Amazing tier
>Bergschrund
>Ashes to Oceans

Great tier
>Mountain Will Fall
>Depth Charge
>Pitter Patter
>Suicide Pact
>Ghost Town

Okay Tier
>California
>Mambo

Bad Tier
>Three Ralphs

Shouldn't be on the album Tier
>Nobody Speaks
>The Sideshow

>legitimately curious as to why because that one is my favorite.
I have to admit I'm kinda falling for it too although it is the shortest song on the album

I can't stand that track.
It keeps cutting and stopping with novelty samples, breaking its own buildup for no appearant reason, it manages to be boringly repetitive despite being short and is a complete mismatched group of disjointed textures.

Would strongly recommend everyone go listen to Matthew Halsall(The guy who helped on Ashes to Oceans)'s album Fletcher Moss Park if you haven't. It's fantastic.