Anyone know good prog rock bands?

Anyone know good prog rock bands?
So far I listen to Rush, Yes, and King Crimson. I need more.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=progressive rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read the chart

Beardfish

GENESIS
E
N
E
S
I
S

Dude how have you not listened to Genesis? Start with Foxtrot and go chronologically. I think they're easily up there with the ones you posted.

Alt-J

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=progressive rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

check out The Mars Volta, they're pretty good

I can't believe I have never listened to genesis before, these guys are great. Thanks user

Gentle Giant
Genesis
Henry Cow
Caravan
Soft Machine
The Mars Volta
Robert Wyatt
Can
Neu
early Kraftwerk
Faust
Some of Frank Zappa's stuff (One Size Fits All, Uncle Meat, etc)

Pink Floyd too, if you really haven't already

"No"

Emerson lake and palme
Genesis
Pink floyd
Gentle giant

Jethro Tull but only thick as a brick
Yezda Urfa
UK
ELP but only tarkus and maybe brain salad surgery
Van der graff generator

Genesis is a gateway prog rock band of the worst kind. It's a bad group, a clusterfuck of syncopation and rhythm that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive synth faggotry and SOLOS. The normal user can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the band itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad. However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The untalented bandmates all trying their hardest to look cool, the dancing, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole korg faggotry and everything about the real world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the fanny-party surrealist backgrounds, emphasis on depression, and overall preachiness of the band make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up. Genesis is basically THE band to attract the most hated music fanbase known to Sup Forums, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every user to troll the fuck out of this band and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Genesis threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here. That being said, Jethro Tull is really great, but King Crimson and Rush are easier to get into.

wew lad

Not sure if this is copypasta or not, but genesis has very thought out composition and relatively few solos and reserved synths compared to most prog. Dated sure, but I appreciate it in the same way i do old John Carpenter films, grandiose themes executed with limited technology that while genuine at the time can be appreciated for other qualities now

DJAM KARET AND OZRIC TENTACLES.

Seriously, they're like the ONLY good 80s prog bands, they blow everyone else out of the water. Djam Karet is loose jamming that flows nicely, and Ozric Tentacles is prog, electronic, dub, and word music all in one blend, how cool is that?

As far as other prog-rock stuff, I would say Focus, Dixie Dregs (third to sixth albums only), Ekseption is okay, mostly prog rock interpretations of classical music. National Health is also quite nice.

in response to

The Moody Blues
Pink Floyd
Procol Harum
Yes

For more rockin' prog
Danava
Whishbone ash
Captain Beyond

Also Ron Anderson for more jazzy stuff. Some clear influences from KC.

Albert marcoeur for weirder folkier frenchy stuff

Magma if you want to meditate on some fascism inspired jazz.

And Gong

You can't go wrong with the other stuff in this thread but it gets a bit vanilla/dadprog if you dont feel out the spectrum. Imo

Check out the chart

Robert Wyatt and Pink Floyd

Outside of the obvious, I love Cardiacs. A Little Man, a House, and the Whole World Window is a great album. Spock's Beard is some decent, more contemporary stuff. V is the album of note. And if you're intro cheesy 80s music, I'm a big fan of Marillion (though they became less 80s-style corny after Fish left the band).

Camel
Amon Düül II
Triana

Wow, there are so many good bands out there for prog rock, thanks guys. Can't wait to listen to them all.

Starcastle

Gong
Black Widow (sacrifice)
Gentle Giant (three Friends)
Eskaton
Besombes-Rizet
Tigran Hamyasan
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Zappa (Hot Rats)
Focus
Gryphon
Premata Forneria Marconi
Weed (Weed)
Can
Amon Duul

This. They are a great Yes clone

Seconded

Also check out the self-titled album by UK.