Is Grimes the successor of Bjork? Do you think they have something in common?

Is Grimes the successor of Bjork? Do you think they have something in common?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IKSoBJ8WirE
youtube.com/watch?v=GGe6-xzbISw
youtube.com/watch?v=6KxtgS2lU94
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
picosong.com/N7QW
youtube.com/watch?v=4P5xSntVWQE
youtube.com/watch?v=dPlHCn0u3sU
youtube.com/watch?v=tU_Wx8ooRjI
youtube.com/watch?v=26sP2WsA5cY
youtube.com/watch?v=NKIiPvowk-c
youtube.com/watch?v=zENqcBs05ns
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
youtube.com/watch?v=n9_oK44mbY0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vm_nE4YEYHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jU15FFHhWrc
youtube.com/watch?v=FRtd8ArvH_s
youtube.com/watch?v=56JLk52-ZBw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are both women.
They are both over hyped on an amine forum

Those really the only thing they have in common.

Yes, both are overhyped and make bleepy pop for muh experimental indie kids

>I don't like something

hurr durr then it must be stupid

t. Ricardo

nice meme dude

>I don't like his opinion
hurr durr he must be memeing

how is calling me ricardo an opinion

The original post you replied to, you dum dum

well the nice meme thing was for calling me ricardo, not for your first post

This magazine should find a musician named "One" and put him on a cover.

they both have a whiny voice, very ugly faces, and dumb fashion tastes, which allows people to feel special by forcing themselves to like them.

that's the gimmick that made them both famous

>11 posts
>6 posters
wew

She wishes. She really wishes.
But unlike Bjork, since she is so constantly insisting on doing everything herself, she ends up stuck repeating herself in terms of production and instrumentation. Because she can only see the whacky costumes Bjork had concludes that this is what made her not only famous,but respected by her peers. It only did oe of these two.

>she ends up stuck repeating herself in terms of production and instrumentation.
All her albums are different to each other. Especially Art Angels is very different than Visions. Your point is invalid.

All of them stick to the same type of vauge electronic production, the same type or layering, in technical terms they are nearly identical.
Your point makes no sense.

Holy shit memes aside, you can not fucking compares Grimes to Björk. Musically and appearance-wise

Grimes makes shitty dream/synthpop, looks like a goblin and Björk actually had so many impressive musical and artistic ideas executed in a great way, looks like a goddess.

Your point makes no sense.

How the fuck are they similar? Did you actually listen to them? How is Kill V. Maim similar to Oblivion? How it's Scream similar to Be a Body? How it's the guitar heavy Flesh Without Blood similar to Skin?

I think you're just trolling.

bjork is far more talented because she wasn't from the 'scene'. everything about her was natural while grimes is just another narcissist indie gurl.

Your hate is showing. You fucking Bjork fanboys...

>Grimes makes shitty dream/synthpop
Explain this: youtube.com/watch?v=IKSoBJ8WirE

>herpie derpie someone just attacked a thing I like better attack him

>I have no idea how electronic music is made
>I have no clue how production works

>Common things between Grimes & Bjork:
>weird voices
>quirky, playful personalities
>strange fashion sense
>interesting live shows
>acclaimed electronic music
>dedicated fanbase
>obscure albums before the proper breakthrough albums (Grimes has Geidi Primes & Halfaxa, Bjork has S/T album from 1977)
>eclectic music taste.

bjork is enthusiatic with generating ideas, making it all come true, etc etc while grimes is just another hipster girl that tries to be unique and provoking.

What that even means? Do you call these vague sentences arguments? lmfao

And if you imply that the production is similar, you're stupidly wrong. Not only that she improved her production skills, but also she used a different DAW (Ableton instean of GarageBand) which allowed her bigger control over her music and bigger possibilities.

no, grimes is better

But this Grimes song sounds exactly the same

youtube.com/watch?v=GGe6-xzbISw

Yet all she does is thesame type of overly simple layering. It's surprizing enough she managed to use some samples instead of simple loops in Art Angels, but judging by how primitive her use of it is, it looks like that's still astrophysics to her.

grimes is far more talented because she wasn't from the 'scene'. everything about her was natural while bjork is just another narcissist indie gurl.

grimes is enthusiatic with generating ideas, making it all come true, etc etc while bjork is just another hipster girl that tries to be unique and provoking.

now this sounds about right

You don't know Grimes. Read her story. You'll see that she's genuine, even more genuine than the artificial Bjork. Bjork is so detached and soulless.

Compare this: youtube.com/watch?v=6KxtgS2lU94
With this: youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54

Could you hear how artificial is Bjork? She's like a robot.

>Implying that more complex = better

>implying that incompetent = better

Listen to her instrumentals and then we're talking about how layered are her songs. You can find them on /r/Grimes.

Just one example: picosong.com/N7QW
Autechre would be proud of it.

ITT: Ricardos VS Grimesgoblins

keep up the good work meme machine

no. grimes is so not new and innovative. pitchfork tier.
youtube.com/watch?v=4P5xSntVWQE

I'm not even listening to Björk a lot. I just know that she is a great artist while Grimes is one of these electronic acts that will be forgotten in 2-3 years

she's already forgotten now

>Declare Independence
That song is weak. Far from Bjork's best. Sorry, but Grimes is way more innovative and interesting. Bjork lost the plot years ago. When was her last memorable song?

>I'm not even listening to Björk a lot. I just know that she is a great artist while Grimes is one of these electronic acts that will be forgotten in 2-3 years
>regurgitating what media and elitists told you
Bjork is passe, Grimes is the present and the future.

>Listens to Bjork once
>What an epic music which is actually serious, respected and not mainstream
>I must be patrician if I listen to this stuff, even if it doesn't speak to me

>delusional hater

>serious
Not even serious all the time: youtube.com/watch?v=dPlHCn0u3sU

How is this song radically different than Grimes songs? Quirky electropop: check.

>while Grimes is one of these electronic acts that will be forgotten in 2-3 years
i think i read the same words in 2012

why can't we accept the greatness of both artists and move on? every argument comes down to personal preference here

We'll see about that once she runs out of costumes.
Same goes for Bjork.

Yes. Many predicted she will fail. That didn't happen and will not happen.

>Do you wonder about the person who’s coming out the other side of the Grimes experience? How did 2012 change you?

>There’s a psychology to success. I was reading all these biographies and watching documentaries about people who are successful. It seemed like the only thread amongst everybody is that unflinching, “Yes, I can do this and I am the best.” It’s a personal rhetoric that you can develop. Like, if you go and tell journalists, “I’m the future of music,” then people start printing that. So I’m just going to tell everyone I’m making the future of music. I’M GOING TO FORCE THE SITUATION TO HAPPEN.

t.grimesfag

Because Sup Forums is the home of autistic kids who want to make everything in music quantifiable to optimize their taste and feel better about it and thus about themselves.
Just look at how fixated so many people are on RYM or last.fm here.

youtube.com/watch?v=tU_Wx8ooRjI
youtube.com/watch?v=26sP2WsA5cY
youtube.com/watch?v=NKIiPvowk-c

give me some Grimes songs that are genuinely innovative and having really innovative melodies not just indie girl 'experimental' tier.

@Bjorkfans: What Bjork does and Grimes doesn't? No stupid answers like "better music" pls. Please be exact.

She has better cock suckinglips

having art galleries appreciating her

All these songs are better than the songs posted by you:
youtube.com/watch?v=zENqcBs05ns
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
youtube.com/watch?v=n9_oK44mbY0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vm_nE4YEYHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jU15FFHhWrc

better music

being the subject of art and design studies everywhere. also music studies.

>having art galleries appreciating her
>implying art galleries aren't appreciating Grimes

Sure, but right now Grimes is only getting bigger and bigger as an artist (bigger festivals, headlining slots, incredibly tight touring schedule - she has like 3 shows in 2 countries during one day in July) and getting higher and higher oportunities (first ever musician to headline a comic convention, interactive installation project with Microsoft, OST for Suicide Squad and etc..)

ugh you must be deaf or something. i hate grimes so much, what a tryhard. she tried really hard in all of that songs. not natural. without tumblr, i'm not sure she'd sound like that. listen to Joga (Bjork), listen to the melodies, the strings, like, the real melodies, not 'experimental/aesthetic' shit.

>being the subject of art and design studies everywhere
>implying grimes is not

there is no way you could listen to 5 songs in 9 minutes and write this reply, so your opinion is invalid

I'm listening to the melodies and frankly Grimes is superior. There are lots of inventive hooks, lots of unexpected quirks. Joga is interesting but can't compare with Oblivion. Bjork has a stronger voice, but Grimes overwhelm her with her incredible melodies.

Bjork is just too abstarct, musically stiff (those harsh beats) and cold for my taste. Grimes is more relatable.

i got bored out because anything in it was like something i've heard million times before. i've left the artsy 'indie' music long ago, famm, highschool is over for me.

guys lets just post rare borks instead

>People comparing Grimes and Björk

Stop that. They are not of same age range. It's obvious that Grimes could be influenced by Björk, but it can't be vice versa, so it's unfair to compare already certified, accomplished artist to a trending artist. Yes, they are both quirky, indie, pop and radiate feminine energy, but you should compare Björk to some other already accomplished artist like Lady Gaga.

If you wanna hear my opinion, best artist and closest you can compare Grimes to is Metric, also a female vocalist act from Canada. Just listen and tell me it doesn't sound similar to something from visions: youtube.com/watch?v=FRtd8ArvH_s

Then there is also this artist from my homeland, Estonia, that sounds awfully similar to Grimes:
youtube.com/watch?v=56JLk52-ZBw

Thanks for your time. Grimes fanboy out.

>Joga is interesting but can't compare with Oblivion
omg you did not just say that. oblivion is, uh, so amateur and not interesting, the melodies are not stimulating, not moving. well maybe you like car seat headrest and teen suicide too.

check out her band The Sugarcubes, it was her band before she went solo. good post punk shit

Grimes is literally Lorde and Sia tier. like, similar idea generating process.

no because bjork continued to make great music for a decade. grimes has maybe 2 good songs

Do you feel like you are real patrician with the most superior music taste when listening to any song by Bjork?

Bjork is art, Grimes is artsy

at least oblivion is catchy and grimes put her sould into it (read the story behind the song)
joga is just pretencious and bland

no. i was just simply astonished when first hearing bjork. like, this melodies aren't some cheap youth pop culture melodies. she didn't hang out with her cool friends and browse tumblr. have you ever feel like you're just impressed ? like someone scratch your back in juust the right spot.

>grimes has maybe 2 good songs
>maybe

Maybe you should actually check out her discography first and only then post your opinion?

So? Is artsy a bad thing? As a drawfag, I use the word "artsy" in a positive sense all the time. If you don't, then calling something an art has to be an insult too.

This

ok, you're a scene kid, that's all. look, pretentious is when the melodies are kind of predictable but somehow the abrasive/experimental sounds and occasionally unique and provoking hooks try to compensate for it.

>have you ever feel like you're just impressed ? like someone scratch your back in juust the right spot.
Yes, I had this feeling when I was listening to Visions by Grimes for the first time.

then maybe you should english more. artsy is an insult, friendo.

somebody pls post that pic with album credits from discogs
then we can close this thread

>cheap youth pop culture melodies

Chill the fuck down, your edginess is scaring the kids!

Not in art school environments. Maybe on r/atheism or other "forums of intellectuals" it is.

yes, just like "nigger" is not an insule among black, neither is "nazi" among extreme right wing groups.
get your head out of your own ass every now and then

i can't believe a grimes fan just called someone 'edgy'.

Its easier to do tgings the second time. When Bjork made bleepy bloop pop it was somewhat original and unique, now it has been done a thousend times over and has become as generic as any other indie!

That is superficial talent though. She's just showcased having money.
She doesn't really deviate that far conventionally, just makes creative tweaks.

Why do you think her "bizarre" work is so digestible to so many people?

Why so triggered, guise?
What, got lost on your way from /r9k/ and decided to hate on another female who has done nothing to you??

Bjork has literally only 3 good songs: All Is Full Of Love, Hyperballad and Triumph Of A Heart. The rest is just meh.
Grimes good songs: 70% of her discography.

>grimes is not digestable therefore she's better!

>When Bjork made bleepy bloop pop
Did you mean "When Bjork's producers made bleepy bloop pop for her", right?

@grimes fanbois :

Are they related?

no & no

i don't hate women, i hate talentless hacks

Why are you so triggered when someone says anything bad about your waifu? why can't you accept that there are things better than her in life and that she is not the best thing to ever exist?
Why can't you even take a step back and look at things tryin not to have too much bias and forget that you want to fuck her?

Björk – arranger, programming, producer

(You)

Wow. Careful with that edgy opinion, bro.

>grimes is not digestable therefore she's better!
Except that Grimes is digestable and better. Both!

I like how baffled are the Bjork fanboys when their queen is compared to Grimes. Like how it's that even possible? Breaking news: it's possible. It's real. Deal with it.

someone pls post that screencap from discogs