/prod/ - Music Production General

>Production Resources:

>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC & Discord is up!
discord.gg/0wV1D4bx3283zPPS
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/wffwcchv
clyp.it/jw50qm4g
clyp.it/deysocrx
youtube.com/watch?v=quFQjaheTlI
youtube.com/watch?v=P4G1r2u8m9g
clyp.it/1d2ftlya
clyp.it/dnu4yeth
clyp.it/klokeqf0
clyp.it/4ravdrfe
clyp.it/axhp30gb
youtube.com/watch?v=hFvhsahHcpM
clyp.it/siac0vsd
clyp.it/tsru1kks
clyp.it/c3sshjl4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I wait for a DX7 mk2 to show up on eBay for less than £400 or should I buy this mk1 I have my eye on for £250 now?

I know the mk1 has no stereo output, but that’s not really a problem in Ableton, I’ve got enough stereo imaging equipment to fix that once it’s recorded in.
Dunno what else the mk2 has a leg up on over the mk1 though.

Now if only I had some idea what am I doing...

clyp.it/wffwcchv

>don't know how to clean up those small samples so only the back vocals are heard
>don't know how to make it fuller in "drop", tried automating fruity stereo shaper, but I got a shitty result like pic related
>absolutely no idea how to organize all of this. Should I have multiple vocal samples, all on their separate channels and just have one "quiet" one and the other "loud" for my chorus?

Maybe I'm still trying to tackle something too big for me, I never did a remix like this before and have no idea how to cut and place vocal samples on my timeline without zooming in and adjusting by a mm.

Also, I was going through a lot of tutorials on compression, EQ and all that, but I'm still bad at it - ok, it takes practice, but I have a problem with compression, that is, I barely ever hear any difference in those things. Don't know what to do.

Bump

clyp.it/jw50qm4g

More of a producer than a singer/rapper but I made this to practice mixing vocals. Will greatly appreciate any advice and will return feedback.

Sampling is very difficult and the only way to get better is practice. I thought your clip was pretty good. the short voice seem to fit the mix too, but thats just me

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I just have to put in those hours. I'll have to check some tutorials on a workflow though, it's pretty chaotic at the moment.

Hopefully going to win this fun machine for ~$214 USD in a bid
Come tax return I might also splash out for a Octatrak Rtym just since my percussion ability is non-existent and they're a hell of a synth/sampler

clyp.it/deysocrx

It's supposed to be House. I'm not even sure what I specifically am concerned about in terms of criticism/what needs fixing. Just give me your opinions.

hahahaha fuck
Don't give a dam i'm a money thrower

Cool intro sample. And it's supper groovy when it gets going. Sorta like chill house. Background gets repative maybe

youtube.com/watch?v=quFQjaheTlI
this is what i was referencing

Imma about to buy the OP-1 off amazon because the work flow looks cool and unique. Opinons? Can I get a better sampler for the price

thats a good sequencer and for a good price.
I wanted to get one when they first came out but ended up getting an emu command station instead.

get an emx instead

Thanks for the feedback, man. I'm glad it's not as terrible as I figured it'd be perceived. I'll try to add some variety to the background. Which elements of the background do you find repetitive?

>Write a tune
>It sounds so good and natural to me that i start to feel like i unconsciously stole it from somewhere
>Scared of plagiarising without knowing

Fuck

you could get a top of the range EMU ultra XT for that price which is a better sampler
, but I've often thought about getting an OP1 just got the portability and uniqueness of it .
Value wise a Emu Ultra XT would be a better sampler but you get some cool shit in the OP1 too.

Do some research before buying

my lecturer got a dx7 online for €100 so try find a cheaper one

any /prod/s living in Berlin?

You can get your favorite DAW for free.
That thing is a joke compared to anything else really. Don't waste your money on toys son.

Wish I was. No parties in ukraine.

have you not seen this? youtube.com/watch?v=P4G1r2u8m9g

I'm recording with a snowball mic and an amp under some blankets
how am I doing so far anons?
it's not mixed or mastered yet just started working on it last night
skip to 0:36 i fucked up when i exported it
clyp.it/1d2ftlya

Bada bim
Bada bum

It's fake, I tell you.
I know it seems like it's real, but trust me it's a pretentious movie project vice guys cooked up. They wrote the whole thing themselves, all those guys and girls are actors they hired.
I know this because I know one of those girls. She helped with the filming and she told me that they were getting payed for creating scenes. Did you really believe that there are warehouses with loud pumping music and neon lights over here?

alright thanks, but my main point was whether the mk2 is really worth seeking out over the mk1

lol i have a daw. I just think this could make good sounds aswell. Have you ever tried one

Anyone else have dreams where they come across some sick hardware?

is playing the same synth at different octaves over eachother breaking some rule of music theory? in fl studio sometimes ill find that i like using the same synth for bass and melody but at a higher octave

You seem to be lacking a lot of highs. Both in your vocals and overall track.

>don't know how to make it fuller in "drop"
Stereo will only fill out the stereofield in said frequencies. Layering elements to fill out the gaps in the frequency spectrum will generally give a fuller sound and will make it hit harder.

That said I really like what you have going here.

French house?
I would suggest shooting for a cleaner mix.
Really like this one. What's the sample from?

This sounds really cool user. Really trip hop-y. I love it.
Do you have more stuff?

Like pic related?

That's perfectly normal user. Commonly done by pretty much everyone.

There are no rules to music theory, just descriptions and guidelines. That being said it is frowned upon in a classical music theory sense, but nobody but autist nerds will care.

>open up another pattern to make an arp
>end up making a bassline instead

Hi /prod/ just made this bass line and wondering if it sounds familiar to something? Help please.

Thanks

clyp.it/dnu4yeth

Here's a tip user

Theory literally does not matter for most forms of electronic music

That being said it certainly helps to give you a guideline on what is (and isn't) tonal in the classical sense. If you want to make future bass for example, theory would help you a fuckton when you are constructing the main chords, but it doesn't matter if there are parallel fifths or octaves as long as it sounds good.

Tldr theory helps but no one cares

>clyp.it/klokeqf0

Any suggestions for guitar filters that could work with clean drums?

>this sounds really cool
well thanks! glad you enjoyed it
I do have more stuff it's all on sc tho I don't have a clyp account also all of it is sample based. This is my first try at an original composition. It is a lot of the same triphop-ish sounding stuff

Complete newb here, what DAW should I use? From what I've read by googling, it shouldn't make much difference, but I'd like your opinion. My main choices are reason/ableton/fl studio yes?

what kind of music do you want to make?

making electronic music, hip-hop or w/e? Fl Studio

Ableton works for everything.

I didn't want to include that in my post because it's meme music.
Witch house.

>clyp.it/4ravdrfe
r8 my sh8 pls

Except for the random vocals there, awesome. Give me moar.

yeah i'd agree with the other user

ableton is your best bet

DAW POWER RANKINGS:

God Tier
1.Bitwig
2.Logic Pro

Good tier
3.FL
4.Reaper

Meh Tier
5.Maschine

Absolute Trash Tier
99999.Ableton

clyp.it/axhp30gb

ayy rate me

gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

Why is ableton so bad?

You need to evaluate what you want out of the synth desu. If you use a pc computer then why dont you use operator or fm8.

it's a meme
he won't be able to name a single thing

lowkey fl user booty blasted ableton gods keep roasting gin

why specifically on pc?

bump

yeah but it literally doesn't matter at all
>muh originality
is one of the biggest Sup Forums memes

youtube.com/watch?v=hFvhsahHcpM

uhh... i uhh.... need money... ill suck someone off for $25

What's the next best thing to Ableton?
>what do you want to use it for
STFU JUST NAME THE FUCKING DAW YOU FUCK

uh

lol
go eat some food user
i think your blood sugar is low

NOT AN ARGUMENT, DO YOU WANT ME TO GET SHOT BY THE GOVERNMENT?

why don't you just get ableton?

>STFU JUST NAME THE FUCKING DAW YOU FUCK
no

slow tools

too expensive

what, you think ANYONE here buys their software? pirate it you FUCKSTICK

>paying for daws

ok seriously now, do i have to dl many 3rd party samples no matter what DAW i choose?

I just want to know whether the mk2 is worth seeking out over the mk1

not gonna make it

Yes? daws come with samples but not an infinite amount

where is tge best place to get royality free drum sample packs? ive just been using fl studio sounds layered with effects

ok, i need a vst too?
be patient pls im just starting

You def dont need one right from the get go if you are just starting out

where do you get drum samples? any good sites for free ones to use

clyp.it/siac0vsd

This is something I'm working on. The reason it has a shitty midi feel to it is because I was inspired by Rene Hell.

I pirated the lex luger kits they are really fucking good not just for hip hop

torrents. the vengeance sample packs are pretty popular

I had no idea these threads were a thing, as I barely browse this board.

Here's a WIP that I've been working on recently.

clyp.it/tsru1kks

can you/will you get sued for selling music that uses them? thats my biggest concern beacuse itvwpuldnt be hard to figure out especially if you didnt alternthe samples and i typically dont

>will I get sued for selling music that contains repackaged 909 and 808 samples?
No you won't.

the vengeance website says that to use their stuff you have to have a "liscence" and that all the drum samples are watermarked somehow? even if youbhad a song that used them get put in a movie or some shit and the sanples were pirated is there still 0 chance of getting sued

no way to find out if you made your own song with it

i mean what if someone heard the song and recognised one of the one shot sounds wouldnt they be able to compair them

As far as I'm aware Vengeance is guilty of selling unlicensed samples themselves, taken from all kinds of songs here and there.
But basically what said. Just fuck with the sounds until they're unrecognizable if you're really paranoid or remake them yourself.

oh okay
but if i did degide to use unaltered samples and the song was usedfor something commercial would that be anything to worry about you think? i need more drum samples but i want to get an opinion before i download them

What's the best free FM synth? And addictive too.

I love synth1, but its really good for subtractive stuff,the FM is kinda limited.

who the fuck still uses vengeance? like 80% of all their packs are just filler

clyp.it/c3sshjl4

kill me

pirate Sytrus desu

Dexed

Just download them man. Jesus fucking christ. Like anybody is gonna care about drum samples.

No lol, I have a friend who has songs advertisements and he used pirated samples in them, and made the songs with a pirated daw

you are worrying to much.

>they still never mention Pro Tools
Gets me everytime

Is there any way to use Logic on Windows?

There are so many synths and tools I'd love to try out.

Not at all, unless you'd like to make a hackntosh and get a dual boot with OSX (which runs pretty shit in my exp).

Logic is pretty nice but cubase is pretty similar and you're able to use all the free VSTs that exist since Logic only uses AU plugins

I understand, but like I said, I wanted to try out Logic's own plugins and synths.

I was talking to a producer about an old EP he produced which inspired me massively and he admitted that most the synths and effects he used were Logic presets and I'd love to just play around with them and hear them on their own, but I guess that isn't going to happen unless I have a Mac.

I'm very ignorant to all this and I apologize in advance but..

Has anyone had luck with max/msp through rutracker, and as someone completely ignorant to programming music am I better off downloading fruityloops?

Also, what methods/apps can use i with my Iphone in tandem with my computer to compose music ?

Are you aware that the DX7 sucks dick to program?

of course

Is there a way to produce online? My laptop is half-broken.

Anyone use Caustic here on android?

Just downloaded it there and it seems pretty good to come up with ideas/beats.