White kids from the suburbs in their mid-20s listening to rap music

>White kids from the suburbs in their mid-20s listening to rap music

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GtGNywkxw2U
youtu.be/8k6SS6uWI-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally me

>White kids from the suburbs in their mid-20s listening to Ariel Pink, Mac Demarco and DIIV

>White kids from the suburbs in their mid-20s dismissing rap music

das me

>It's a "black music is for black people" episode

>black people from the ghetto in their mid-20s listening to indie music

note that while Henry Rollins was very working class, most of his friends in the DC hardcore scene he grew up with were middle class white kids from the suburbs.
Also, I know how Rollins feels about EDM, but I find it hard to imagine he feels the same way about hip hop. I just can't picture him hating on groups like Public Enemy or Boogie Down Productions.

>working class
Henry Garfield's father worked for the military and he went to a school that cost 50k a year and inherited quite a huge sum of money, "Rollins" was the original poseur in hardcore.

he went to American University for one semester

>neckbeards on Sup Forums caring what other people listen to

He's Primary and Secondary Education was a lot more than one semester and he completed those. Rollins is a rich man hence he didn't care that Ginn screwed him over for money as he's minted either way.

Huh. Well, it's believable that I'm wrong about his class background. Point still stands, the DC hardcore scene was generally middle class, and its members were notably wealthier than their counterparts in New York, London, Los Angeles, and Seattle.

I can agree with you there, though Ian From MT didn't exactly live in the best of areas.

>himba tribesmen in northern Namibia listening to Seapunk

I've lived in a Senegalese village (2 years) and a Guinean city (6 months), and I have to say, they're pretty open to music. In Senegal, my village "host mother" loved Vivaldi, and my young host brother really liked Iggy Pop. My host sister would dance to pretty much anything that was playing. In Guinea, people from my office liked The Libertines a lot. The only person in Africa who really reacted badly to anything was a girlfriend I had in Dakar who hated Iggy Pop when I put him on during sex, and she was really sophisticated by Senegalese standards - she was in law school at the top university, had a bunch of family in France, and knew English, French, Wolof, and Jola. She was the only "modern" one out of any of them, and while the others all listened to traditional African music, she was into American rap/R&B like Rihanna, Jay Z, Kanye West, etc. It's like BECAUSE she was a product of modern, privileged culture, she objected to the music. And when I say privileged, I mean we always split the bills on food, she payed for her own taxis, and once she even bought me a pizza. She spent more on me than I did on her, not even close. Shit was ridiculous.

According to Rollins, anyone who ever lived in the suburbs should not listen to music at all.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Better just keep listening to Duran Duran.

punk was always about wanting to be black. john lydon and those fucks listened to dub exclusively. punk's tweety, fast sound as musical antithesis to dub only proves they're the same. only the clash were stupid enough (god bless the clash) to actually make black music.

all those other california fucks were especially about wanting to black. blacks have no access to upward mobility and are harassed on the basis of skin color; rollins deliberately shut himself off from upward mobility ("i'd have gone off to military school without a whimper") and pushed a needlessly antagonistic relationship with the police ("they hate us / we hate them"). ginn and fellow bandmates accuse him of dramatically exaggerating both his poverty and the level of police harassment. guilty of being white.

ever notice that jello biafra and elaine brown both came up in california at the same time and both ended up as green party nominees?

>punk was always about wanting to be black.

i'm fine with that. Duran Duran are great.

Good thing I'm a white kid from the suburbs in his teens listening to rap music

Never go full Pitchfork, user.

He's right though

youtu.be/GtGNywkxw2U

It's tricky

>claim
> no warrant

Read Subculture: The Meaning of Style.

Or any of Lydon's books about how much he wishes he were black.

Or listen to the Clash's "White Riot"

Or read any of Rollin's bandmates on what a prick Rollins was.

Unless your definition of punk includes only Siouxsie Sioux and maybe the Damned, you've obviously given punk very little thought.

This could easily be me

>he wishes he were black

WoW

Forgot the link
youtu.be/8k6SS6uWI-k

effay as fuck

hebdige didn't have much of a clue but he never said punk artists wanted to be black either

i'll grant i think hebdige's thesis about dole-queue is dumb - especially as relates to english punk as a whole (where was Siouxsie? the Adverts? the Buzzcocks? Wire?). but he's very much right to note the deep, essential connection between the punk scene and dub culture / race riots.

but who listens to the buzzcocks? or thinks of them when they think of punk? hebdige was more prescient about the future of american punk than he was accurate about the history of english punk

>hebdige was more prescient about the future of american punk than he was accurate about the history of english punk

yeah that's definitely true

there always was a class element to punk but a lot of the frontrunners were more like middle class art students

hard to think who is more punk today than tyler the creator and earl sweatshirt. it certainly isn't some living-in-minneapolis gutter-trash

I got such a boner when he shittalked that smug trust fund chick

Sounds like you have had some rich life experience. What in the world are you doing on this website?

That's a good question. I really need to pry myself away. I started coming here in '09, when I was a depressed shut in starting college. Then I really dedicated myself to experiencing the world and developing myself. I guess I just never dropped the habit. Also, as you may be able to tell, I like writing, which is why I write long posts that often get overlooked. That said, unlike these two, my long posts are usually on topic informative posts about music (been obsessive about it since my early teens), travel, politics, etc., and I find some kind of emotional reward when people on here get use out of them. I have trouble just writing on a blank page sometimes, so this site is good for prompts, and the fact that there's immediate feedback/use is encouraging.

Me too

hah! fuck them for listening to what they like, am I right?

>black "people"

>